AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cleverley Does It
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:38 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Highscores: 1
Reedo wrote:
Who the f*ck does he think he is?

Someone who'd rather be on the fringes at United than playing for Villa? If he was going to go then it would be for professional (ie. pay) reasons, or maybe he wants to make it at United :shrug:

Villas strict wage structure is no secret so effectively he's said I don't want to go. Unless of course they make him an offer he can't refuse!

I do feel sorry for Cleverly if he'd had some into the United team say for example fo 2008 then he'd have had time to bed in and play in a team with confidence. To expect a youngster to make it in a team who've just fallen off their pedestal is asking an awful lot.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:49 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
I wouldn't play for Villa. I wonder what happened to the Everton move.

The thing is with Cleverley is, he's shown in the past he could make it at united. He needs to knuckle down and practise practise practise. Improve, prove himself. And he could still make it. It's going to be down to his attitude.

Welbeck... I hope he doesn't do a Sturridge/Chelsea :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:14 pm 
National Hero
National Hero

Quote:
Aston Villa are waiting to discover if their late move for Tom Cleverley has come off, Sunday World Sport understands.

The club made a u-turn on Monday to sign the Manchester United midfielder on loan but it is yet to be rubber stamped by the Premier League.

Villa had initially pulled the plug on a permanent deal for Cleverley with the England man's wage demands pricing him out of a move.

He was also believed to favour a switch to Everton but the Toffees never struck a deal with United on deadline day.

That prompted Villa to reignite a move for the 25-year-old and they are waiting to see if they managed to complete it in time.

Villa had agreed a fee of around £8m with United for Cleverley but called the deal off on Monday after talks reached a deadlock.

Boss Paul Lambert has been looking to beef up his midfield despite adding Carlos Sanchez, Joe Cole and Kieran Richardson over the summer.

He also sold Karim El Ahmadi back to Feyenoord and loaned Aleksandar Tonev to Celtic.

Cleverley looks to have little future at Old Trafford with boss Louis van Gaal making him available and Hull were also interested before moving for Newcastle's Hatem Ben Arfa.

The England international has made 79 appearances for United, the last coming in their 1-1 draw at Sunderland in August.

:wave:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Reports I read were Cleverley didn't want to go to Villa he wanted to go to Everton probably to work with Martinez again (he had him on loan at Wigan)

Everton would only take him on loan whereas Utd wanted a sale so he basically got left in limbo sign for Villa a club he doesn't want to play for or hold out in hope that Utd/Everton could do a deal.

He only has 1 year on his contract so Utd obviously would prefer to take a fee I guess the loan to Villa until January is done in the hope that they can flog him for a few £ in January.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:16 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Shame his stock has fallen so much with United fans, as he was a really promising youngster.

Give him some first team exposure and I think he could turn into a decent CM, we just don't have capacity to blood youngsters unless they're exceptional (Januzaj) at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Serbinator wrote:
Shame his stock has fallen so much with United fans, as he was a really promising youngster.

Give him some first team exposure and I think he could turn into a decent CM, we just don't have capacity to blood youngsters unless they're exceptional (Januzaj) at the moment.

I think he got a little bit over hyped off the back of a good start he then got injured and when he came back he didn't look the same which isn't a surprise and because of all this hype that went around him thanks to his management/PR people building the TC23 brand I think a few fans turned on him.

I don't think the club helped him either by not investing in midfield he almost became the saviour that we were to pin all our hopes on which was way to much to ask and it was clear that he totally lost his confidence to play in front of the crown that was clearly out for him which shouldn't ever really be the way at Utd but sadly it appears to be that way especially with our younger players. I think he attracted the "big time charlie" tag a bit to easy and he maybe courted some of that attention by dating a reality TV star and by trying to create this brand thing rather than just concentrating on his football.

He needs to go and play football I'm sure away from Utd he'll go on to have a half decent career I don't think he'll ever be looked back on with regret similar to Darren Gibson but he'll go and have a decent career like Phil Neville & Butt did when they left although they contributed a hell of a lot more before they were allowed to move on.

Our ability to get players from U21 to First Team has diminished in recent years I don't know the reason but the number of players with "potential" who haven't really managed to move up to the next level has become a worrying trend so many seem to hit a bit of a wall and not recover. I personally think academy players are to soft and they lack confidence to express themselves in a dressing room with senior players the class of 92 lads always talk about how hard it was to tell someone like Steve Bruce he was doing something wrong but they had the balls to do it and the senior players respected them for it. I get the impression now that the younger lads don't have that.

I still think the jury is out on players like Jones/Smalling/Rafael who've all shown us glimpses but haven't nailed down the first team spot Welbeck has obviously moved on and Cleverley has to do the same if he can get a move to Everton that would be brilliant for him I'm not convinced that Villa is a great move for him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:24 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

joined villa on loan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:02 am 
Major General
Major General

Very good signing for aston villa :wink:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:09 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
ilovemybrick wrote:
Reedo wrote:
Who the f*ck does he think he is?

Someone who'd rather be on the fringes at United than playing for Villa? If he was going to go then it would be for professional (ie. pay) reasons, or maybe he wants to make it at United :shrug:

Villas strict wage structure is no secret so effectively he's said I don't want to go. Unless of course they make him an offer he can't refuse!

I do feel sorry for Cleverly if he'd had some into the United team say for example fo 2008 then he'd have had time to bed in and play in a team with confidence. To expect a youngster to make it in a team who've just fallen off their pedestal is asking an awful lot.

His acceptance to being loaned out instead clearly shows he was just being a greedy little shit after stupid amounts of money (compared to his ability that is).

He's an arrogant bellend, having his own website and the brand nonsense sums him up.

And so does this: https://vine.co/v/Mx2vql6KaeP

So glad he's gone. His contract expires next summer, hopefully he won't be given a new one.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:58 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
Have a read of this. It's 100% sums up my thoughts on Cleverley. I found this on StretfordEnd.com.

---------------------------------------------------------------
After a 14 year association with Manchester United, Tom Cleverley has taken his first steps towards leaving the club to further his career elsewhere, initially on loan with Aston Villa. His departure is more likely to be greeted with cheers rather than tears by the majority of United fans, but, in truth, what became of his career at Old Trafford is incredibly unfortunate.

A great deal was written about Cleverley’s youth career when he inititally broke into United’s first team, however, a quick recap sets the scene nicely and provides good insight into his character.

There is little doubt that many of United’s fans today would have been angry that he was even appearing for the U18 side in the 2005/06 season. A small, weak player, used often as a fullback, there appeared little reason for United to want to keep him on as a scholar and then, later, a professional. Those who watched him a bit closer talked of a technically sound player, a hard worker who was eager to learn. Indeed there are similarities between him and Jesse Lingard (amongst others), and United have always been open to retaining players who are either small or late developers, as their faith in Paul Scholes and David Beckham, respectively, can attest.

A long injury lay-off aged 17 wasn’t enough to derail him and he returned in 2007 to become an important player for the Reserve side. Still small and now in a more advanced role, he was made captain of the Reserve side aged 18 and was rewarded with a first team appearance on the pre-season tour of 2008, in which he scored. By January 2009 the club felt he was ready to take the next step in his development and he went on loan to League 1 side, Leicester City.

Loans

Although his loan spell at Leicester ended early due to injury, he played his part in helping them to be crowned League 1 Champions and for the second season running was nominated for United’s Reserve team player of the year award. This marked great progress for a player that at this point, had never been capped by his country at any youth level. At this stage, he had still remained firmly under the radar.

During the following season, the 2009/10 campaign, a wider audience started to take note. Watford were expected to struggle having had to sell numerous players and Cleverley, with no experience at Championship level, was brought in on loan to play at the heart of a youthful side.

The Watford loan is probably best remembered for his goals, one every three games, but there was much more to it than simply putting the ball in the net. He played with freedom and pace, a quick one-touch style that, along with Lansbury and the talented Don Cowie, ensured Watford were entertaining to watch for a struggling side. As at Leicester, the loan spell was cut short due to injury but he had done enough to help Watford avoid relegation and win their player of the year award. He was their second highest scorer, with eleven goals to his name, and one of only three players to score more than five goals in the season.

He returned to United full of confidence and as a member of England’s U21 side. Pre-season with United couldn’t have gone better, and although at one point it seemed he would stay and be part of the first team squad, he was eventually sent on loan to gain Premier League experience with Wigan Athletic. It would be another successful loan spell and, for the second season running, he helped his adopted side avoid relegation.

September 2011 – Bolton away

Along with Welbeck, Jones and Smalling, Cleverley was set to become a key part of a new-look, younger, fresher, quicker United side for the 2011/12 season. It started well as he played his part in possibly the best goal United have scored for many years; a move of intricate one touch football around the penalty area that finished with Nani scoring, as United went on to beat rivals, Manchester City, in the Charity Shield. That goal transpired to be little more than a tease as United struggled to replicate that kind of football throughout the season, despite starting with convincing wins over Spurs, Arsenal and Bolton – the latter two thrashed.

That game against Bolton was an important landmark for Cleverley’s career at United, for all the wrong reasons. Kevin Davies scythed through him early on and, despite attempting to continue, Cleverley’s match, and good start to the season, was over. The damage was to ligaments in his foot – the impact of which is still felt today.

Understanding injuries as people who don’t play the game is incredibly difficult. I am lucky to have had some exposure (via my work) to athletes who have suffered injuries of varying severity. It is as much a mental battle as it is a physical one; the constant worrying about whether the injury will fully heal or whether the body will forever be scarred, and the difficulty of finding the motivation to go through all the rehabilitation on your own when your team-mates are going about life as normal. It’s too easy to assume that they should simply ‘deal with it’ because they earn a lot of money.

Cleverley had been through this process before, with injuries suffered at youth level and out on loan, but it was different on this occasion. This time, he had to come back at the highest level, and into a Manchester United side whose central midfield had been decimated. Fletcher was ill; Anderson, like Cleverley, started well but had also suffered injuries; it had been left to Scholes, returning from retirement, and Giggs, to partner Carrick in the middle.

On his league return away to Everton he was outstanding but suffered another injury in that game and by the time he returned again, United were low on confidence, surrendering an eight point lead to allow their neighbours to win the title. By the end of the season, one that had started so brightly, Cleverley had managed to start just five league games, with Carrick the sole central midfielder to start more than fifteen.

Kevin Davies’ tackle in early September had done more than derail Cleverley’s season; it shattered his confidence and marked the point at which the player began to lose his vitality. Although it had only been a few games at the start of the 2011/12 season prior to his injury, he (and Anderson) had taken hold of them and wanted the ball. He was a major reason why United had played such positive football. That player, sadly, did not return, or at least not on a regular basis. Instead, he became associated with ‘crab’ football, constantly shifting the ball sideways and, United fans would bemoan, never taking risk. At times this was unfair; United’s midfield had become puritanically functional, with clear instructions to get the ball out to the wide players. However, statistically, the fans had a point, and of the central players, Cleverley played the fewest forward passes. With the pressure mounting on United’s increasingly desolate midfield, the safest option for all the midfielders tended to be the least adventurous and with that the pressure and discontent from supporters only continued to rise.

Scapegoat

To many, the player built up unfairly as the next great central midfielder came to symbolise United’s demise in central midfield. Having barely had time to adjust to games in the Premier League for United due to injuries in the 2011/12 season, Cleverley was thrown in at the deep end the following season and seemed to hide from physical situations, maybe for fear of injury again. The pressure of playing for United is enormous, some can hack it and some can’t.

Despite United’s title success in 2012/13 there was no sense that Cleverley had improved. Carrick had his best campaign for United and all the football went through him. In previous loan spells, Cleverley had been best when he’d been the player everyone looked to in the middle but at United, this wasn’t the case. This lack of importance encouraged him to take the easy option and defer to seniority as Carrick was the ‘out-ball’. With Rooney, van Persie and Hernandez contributing nearly 50 league goals between them, there was no added pressure on the central midfielders to weigh in with goals. Instead, they merely had to keep things ticking over.

United had become about function rather than flamboyance. Players weren’t necessarily encouraged to express themselves and with City as reigning champions, winning by any means was the only fundamental requirement. Whilst this method brought success with the title returning to the red half of Manchester, it wasn’t the right platform for Cleverley to improve as a player and by the end of the season, he had regressed to the role of bit-part player having been a regular during the earlier months of the campaign.

The David Moyes shambles of 2013/14 saw Cleverley become one of the main players to take flak. He had not improved and was part of a midfield that yet again wasn’t encouraged to play at a quick tempo; as a result, his performances in a side bereft of confidence were unsurprisingly poor. By now he no longer got into goalscoring positions or looked to be a creative spark and instead was, at best, a stable link-man who struggled against stronger opponents in a two-man midfield. It reached the point where he simply had almost no positive impact on games and was unrecognisable from the ambitious and confident player who’d done so well a few years earlier out on loan.

What next?

This move, assuming it’s a stop-gap between United and a permanent move elsewhere, is a chance for him to reluctantly draw a line under his United career. He’s become the butt of many jokes with a worrying number of United fans seriously believing he’s not even good enough for the Premier League. He needs to rediscover his inner belief and play regularly with freedom to express himself, potentially in a three man midfield. In the right team he may be able to unlock the Cleverley we briefly saw in August/September 2011 and thrive again.

Clearly, for both Manchester United and Tom Cleverley himself this is the right decision; his confidence is shot and United need a different type of player in midfield, especially as in the current plight they cannot afford any passengers. However, what has become of him was to some extent not his own doing – ill-timed injuries; playing under two managers who favoured systems focused on central solidity with little scope for ambition; and the abuse from fans, all undoubtedly affected him. He is a good, hard-working professional who can at least leave having captained United; even though it was on a pre-season tour, this was something he was incredibly proud of.

The victories as a younger player to overcome injuries and being small, the loan successes and the bright start in the first team were no fluke. I hope he isn’t damaged beyond repair and that his new manager can coax some of the old Cleverley back again. If they do, he’ll be back in the England team before long and United fans may just wonder what could have been if it wasn’t for Kevin Davies or if style had been favoured over substance and functionality in a midfield supplemented by better (or indeed any) signings.

Finally, those rejoicing at his departure have lost sight of what their football club represents. For all United’s success, it is the ability to bring players through from the academy to first team that is the most long-standing. On this basis, Tom Cleverley is a great success who, in different circumstances, could have had a career as a squad player at United for a long time, following the likes of O’Shea, Brown, Fletcher etc in recent years – players who have been key to the success that supporters demand. As it stands, he has ironically followed the same United career path as Darron Gibson, the man whose place in the squad he took; promising youngster that the fans want to see involved, turned scapegoat, forced off social media by said fans and whose exit is widely celebrated. A player who has been at the club for fourteen years deserves better than that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:18 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Tom Cleverley accepts that his Manchester United career is over and admits that the Old Trafford boo-boys played a part in his exit.

The England international midfielder joined Aston Villa on loan shortly after the summer transfer window closed in a move ratified by the Premier League.

And the 25-year-old, whose contract with the Red Devils ends next summer, is relieved to have moved on after coming under fire from his own supporters.

Cleverley told reporters: “If any footballer gets a bit of stick off their own fans they are going to be hurt. Football is a game of opinions and you can’t please everyone.

“I am happy to get away from some of the negativity. Whenever you are not winning trophies at Man United the players are going to get some stick.

“With me being out of contract at the end of the year if I am being honest I don’t think I would play for the club again.

“In modern football it is rare that one player, like Giggsy or Scholesy, plays for one club for their career.”

United boss Louis van Gaal handed Cleverley the captain’s armband for one match during their pre-season tour of the United States, but the midfielder accepts he is not in the Dutchman’s plans.

He said: “I wasn’t emotional or anything like that. I didn’t get a chance to say many goodbyes. It is something I had prepared myself for.

“Louis van Gaal was always straight with me. I had a fairly good pre-season where we won every game, but he has his own players.

“The manager made it fairly clear it wasn’t going to happen for me there.”

I don't recall him ever being booed in the ground but he took a hell of a lot of stick in public apparently from fans to the point where he basically stopped going out and some of the online campaigns against him are quite honestly shocking.

I never got the impression with him that he wasn't trying he just couldn't handle the pressure of playing for Utd and that's something that effects a lot of players.

He didn't help himself at times he fuelled the early hype around him but I was unhappy with the way we turned on a lad from the academy these are the ones we should be supporting the most it wasn't like he'd been caught being a pr*ck off the pitch.

He also came through at a really bad time with the midfield in tatters he was the great hope and that was way to much pressure to put on him he didn't have a Roy Keane/Bryan Robson or even Paul Scholes to look after him for most of the time he was there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Arsenal and Tottenham are reportedly interested in signing Manchester United midfielder Tom Cleverley, according to Sky sources.

The 25-year-old, who has made 30 appearances while on a season-long loan at Aston Villa, is available on a free transfer this summer.

Villa are said to be keen to make his move permanent while Everton and West Ham have also been linked with the England international.

Sky also believes Cleverley has attracted attention on the continent and has been offered contracts in Italy and Spain, along with German club Schalke.

Cleverley, who has had loan spells at Leicester, Watford and Wigan during his career, collected a Premier League winners medal during Sir Alex Ferguson’s final season in charge at Old Trafford in 2013.

He joined United as a trainee in August 2008 but found himself surplus to requirements following the arrival of manager Louis van Gaal last summer.

Spurs maybe but highly unlikely and Arsenal would only sign him because he's Welbeck's mate and even that would be a push.

The strong rumours were his deal to Everton was a done deal but maybe they've backed out so his agent is trying to stir the pot a bit.

Maybe Moyes can take him over to Spain after all TC23 did claim to be more Spanish than English

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:22 pm 
Major General
Major General

I hope things work out well for him ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:51 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Wolfsburg are interested in signing Tom Cleverley, who is available on a free transfer this summer, according to Sky sources.

Cleverley is on loan at Aston Villa from Manchester United, and the Germans have joined a list of teams interested in signing him that includes Everton, Arsenal, and Villa themselves.

The midfielder is waiting until the end of the season to decide where he'll play next season.

Sky sources understand one big factor is his international future. He is desperate to get back into the England squad after starting all the qualifiers leading up to the World Cup.

Cleverley has hinted that he could stay with Villa, insisting money is not a factor.

"I don't think any Premier League players are going to be short of a quid or two," Cleverley said. "You have just got to be happy first of all.

"And I am at this club, so let's see where we go from there. I think first and foremost you have to be playing at a club where you fit in.

"Where you're playing in the position where you want to play and where you like the manager, the lads, this club ticks those boxes.

"We'll just see what happens but first the club have got to offer me something. Those talks haven't taken place yet. I just know my contract runs out on June 30 at Man United, that's my position."

Pretty sure the way the compensation stuff works if he goes abroad we get a lot less money than we would if he was to stay in England.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:27 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

JSP wrote:
Pretty sure the way the compensation stuff works if he goes abroad we get a lot less money than we would if he was to stay in England.

You get nothing for moves abroad on bosman! But best of luck to him, should it come off!

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:05 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

the nut's named eric wrote:
You get nothing for moves abroad on bosman! But best of luck to him, should it come off!

That would be annoying even if we have probably got a loan fee for him this season and had him off the wage bill he's still clearly got a market value even if it's only £5m or something like that which I believe is what we'd be looking at for a player like him. He's an Englan international in his early 20's FFS.

Wolfsbury are a great option for him though they'll be in the CL next season and they play some exciting frantic football surprised he's not been linked to Moyes at Sociedad as well although I very much doubt they could meet his wage demands having played at Utd he'll be on a pretty decent salary.

I hope he makes the right choice and joins a club where he'll play and considering the success he's having at Villa under Sherwood I think that should be his first choice in the last few months he's looked more like the Cleverley we saw as a youngster.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:51 pm 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
Best of luck to Cleverley.

The guy is a better player than people give him credit for. He never shy's from looking for the ball, always showed good energy as a midfielder and as been said has a goal in him. But he was scapegoated by United fans as the problem when the main problems were elsewhere. No wonder his confidence was badly affected which in the end ruined his United career.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think he paid the price for the clubs woeful investment in the midfield in Fergie's later years he should've been allowed to come in slowly like Fletch did instead he was chucked in because we had no one else.

Sink or swim stuff and he sunk the pressure was to much when the crowd got on his back he started playing to safe and making excuses

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:09 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

James Ducker from the Times saying Cleverley will sign for Everton on a 5 year deal by the end of next week.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Tom Cleverley has dealt a blow to Tim Sherwood’s rebuilding plans at Aston Villa by agreeing to join Everton on a free transfer.

The 25-year-old spent last season on loan at Villa Park from Manchester United and Sherwood had been keen to secure the midfielder’s services on a permanent basis. Everton, however, have agreed a five-year contract with Cleverley and he will officially join the Goodison Park club on 1 July once his United contract has expired.

The Everton manager, Roberto Martínez, has pursued the player since last summer, when United refused to sanction his season-long loan to Goodison. The pair worked together at Wigan Athletic in the 2010-11 season when Cleverley scored four goals in 25 appearances while on loan.

Martínez believes the England international, who enjoyed a strong second half to the season under Sherwood, can flourish in a more advanced midfield role and provide the creativity that Everton sorely lacked last term.

Cleverley, who has won 13 England caps, is understood to have had a medical at Everton’s Finch Farm training ground on Friday in preparation for becoming their first signing of the summer.

He last played for Villa in the 4-0 defeat by Arsenal in the FA Cup final.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next