AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's Be 'Avin Yoooou
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Norwich have agreed a fee with Celtic for Gary Hooper and the striker will have a medical on Thursday, Sky sources understand.

Hooper looked set for a move to Championship side QPR, with the Hoops understood to have agreed a fee in the region of £5.5m for the 25-year-old on Wednesday.

But Norwich have been in the hunt for Hooper for some time, with manager Chris Hughton seeing several bids rejected in the January transfer window, while Hull City also missed out with their approach in June.

Hughton may yet get his man with Hooper understood to have agreed personal terms on a four-year contract and the former Southend and Scunthorpe forward Hooper could be playing in the Premier League come the start of the new season.

Asked about the former Scunthorpe striker in the wake of a 1-0 defeat by Portland Timbers during the early hours of this morning, Hughton told the Eastern Daily Press: "We are still working very hard.

"It is very difficult for me with the eight-hour time difference, but even with the conversations I am having with the chief scout it is trying to find the right times. Nothing imminent, but we are still working."

The news will come as a blow to QPR boss Harry Redknapp, who admitted earlier he expected their swoop to go through without a hitch.

Redknapp had said: "It looks like it's on its way to being done. Negotiations have gone well.

"He's a finisher. He'll score goals in the Championship; I'm absolutely certain of that.

"He's gone to Celtic; one of the biggest clubs in the world and he's scored goals. He's scored goals in the Champions League.

"He's in the last year of his contract, so it's a good deal for everybody. It's good for Celtic to get the kind of money they are getting and hopefully it will be a great deal for QPR.

"If he can come here and get 25 goals next season, then we will have a real chance of getting out of the division."

Hooper arrived at Celtic Park from Scunthorpe for a fee of around £2.4m in July 2010 and has scored 82 goals in 138 appearances.

Nottingham Forest were also in contact over a possible transfer though Hoops manager Neil Lennon had not given up hope of keeping his prolific marksman.

Hooper has been the club's leading marksman in all three of his Parkhead seasons but is in the final year of his contract and could leave for free in 12 months' time.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Norwich boss Chris Hughton has refused to rule out a move for Juventus striker Fabio Quagliarella.

Hughton did not deny an interest in the 30-year-old, instead comparing the scenario to his pursuit of Gary Hooper, who joined from Celtic last week.

"That is a story I have seen and heard. But it was exactly the same with our work with Gary," he said.

"Most were aware there was an interest. Until there was something official to say then we didn't say it."

He added: "From our side we did our work in the correct way [for Hooper], which is very much behind the scenes."

Quagliarella, who has seven goals in 25 caps for Italy, scored 13 times in 34 games for Juventus last season.

A former Torino forward, he has vast experience in Serie A with Sampdoria, Udinese and Napoli.

"The fact that some players are being linked with us is in some ways a good thing, because it means we are trying to be proactive and trying to improve," said Hughton.

"But certainly until there's anything to say it's all speculation."

The Canaries will already have a new-look forward line next season, with the arrivals of Hooper and Ricky van Wolfswinkel, while Luciano Becchio has made only two starts since joining in January.

Remember Utd being heavily linked to him back in 2009/10 and I remember him scoring a lovely chip for Italy I think in WC 2010.

With Juve bringing in 2 new strikers this summer he must be well down the list now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:00 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Norwich City's record signing Ricky van Wolfswinkel admits that playing in England has always been his dream.

The Dutch striker was signed by Norwich before the end of last season when they brokered a deal with Sporting Lisbon.

Van Wolfswinkel has already found the back of the net during pre-season and is firmly on his way to settling into life in England.

And speaking to Sky Sports News, Van Wolfswinkel admits that he has dreamed about playing in the Premier League since he was a child.

Asked about whether he dreamed about playing in England he said: "Since I was a young child.

"I started watching on a Saturday on Dutch television, after I had played my own football, I watched the English Premier League and from that moment I knew this was a competition I wanted to play in."

Will be interesting to see how he does in England he was linked to a lot of clubs a few years back and it was probably a bit of a shock to some that he ended up at Norwich.

Either way the editors of the tabloid press are going to have a field day coming up with pun based headlines for him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:05 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
A move to Liverpool was said to be on the cards at one point, and everyone was raving about this kid. Then he fell off the radar a bit, would up in Portugal and now at Norwich. If he's going to get to a big club then he's taking the scenic route.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:36 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Didn't he start out in Holland?

I get the feeling he's got a noisy agent(s) who touted him him around a few clubs saying there was a lot of interest to get him a move the route he's taken is probably better for him because he's spent his time playing football in different leagues getting experience rather than sitting on the bench at a club he's not quite ready for.

Players these days rush to the big clubs too quickly but you can't blame them with the money that is on offer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:40 am 
Major General
Major General

Yeah, started in Holland, got linked with some big clubs but went to Portugal instead, and now onto Norwich. He may well benefit in the long term from having played more football though, and he might do really well at Norwich and get his move to a big club.

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Norwich City have further strengthened their attacking options by completing a season-long loan deal for the Galatasaray forward Johan Elmander. The 32-year-old has been at the Super Lig club for two seasons, having moved to Turkey after a spell in the Premier League with Bolton Wanderers.

Elmander has been linked with a move to Carrow Road in recent weeks, although Chris Hughton, the Norwich manager, claimed last week he was unsure of where the rumours of a move for the Sweden international had come from. Elmander is the latest addition to a Norwich squad which has seen major investment over the course of the summer and he will now compete with two fellow new signings, Ricky van Wolfswinkel and Gary Hooper, as well as Luciano Becchio, who joined in January, for a place in the Canaries' attack.

Hooper is still sidelined by a shin injury suffered during pre-season training but the club's record signing, Van Wolfswinkel, started his Norwich career in style as he headed in the equaliser in Saturday's 2-2 draw at home to Everton.

Capped 71 times by Sweden, Elmander became Bolton's own record signing when he joined from Toulouse in 2008 and went on to make 92 appearances in the top flight for Wanderers. Now he is back in the Premier League and is looking forward to pulling on a Norwich shirt.

"I'm very happy," he said. "I'm really looking forward to starting training with the lads and to playing some games also. I know Norwich City has great fans and there's a great atmosphere in the stadium, plus I know a couple of players here already too. I'm very glad that the deal has been done and now I'm looking forward to the season ahead."

He becomes Hughton's eighth summer signing, with Javier Garrido, Leroy Fer, Carlo Nash, Nathan Redmond and Martin Olsson also penning deals with the Norfolk club, and the former Newcastle manager was pleased to add yet more numbers to his squad. "I'm really delighted to bring in a player of Johan's experience," Hughton said. "Not only at club and Premier League level but as a current international. It's great to welcome him to our squad."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:16 am 
Major General
Major General

Norwich have done some good business this summer, think they'll do alright this season.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I see them being a bit like Fulham not really offensive to anyone and will just sit in the table between 8th and 14th for a few seasons.

They are a good little club Norwich very loyal fan base and the signings they've made this summer suggest they've got the finances in order as they're able to pay decent wages to get these lads into England.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:37 am 
Major General
Major General

Yeah, they are a pretty inoffensive club. They've got a decent manager and are putting together a decent squad. They'll be a tricky proposition to play at Carrow Road, probably less so away from home.

Shouldn't be in any real danger of relegation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Chris Hughton has given Leroy Fer a crash course in English football's values in the wake of his 'goal' against Cardiff.

The Norwich midfielder ignored the usual sporting code to fire into an empty net after Cardiff had kicked the ball out with an opposition player down injured late on in Saturday's goalless draw at Carrow Road.

Referee Mike Jones disallowed the goal on the basis he had not blown for the throw-in to be taken, but Cardiff boss Malky Mackay and his players were incensed by Fer's behaviour.

And a post-match interview, in which Fer claimed his actions would have been perfectly acceptable in his native Holland, was hardly conciliatory.

Hughton said: "He's been made aware. It has been spoken about, and for us it's something we left as soon as we left the changing room. It's been dealt with.

"Leroy spoke very honestly after the game. He's an honest lad. I think he just got caught up in the moment.

"It was a fairly frustrating day for us. It was a game we should've won and could've won reasonably comfortably.

"He's a very honest individual, but I think he just got caught up in the moment."

Mackay said after the game he had the assurance of the Norwich bench that Cardiff would be allowed to equalise if Fer's goal stood.

But Hughton said: "He didn't have that conversation with me. Everything you're saying is very hypothetical because that wasn't the case.

"It's an emotional game, this was something that happened in the dying moments. Our concentrations are away from that. We move on."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:42 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Norwich have been fined £20,000 for the behaviour of their players after Leroy Fer's controversial 'goal' against Cardiff.

Instead of returning the ball to Cardiff keeper David Marshall, Canaries midfielder Fer kicked the ball into an empty net after it was put out of play to allow an injured Norwich player to receive treatment, deep into injury time.

The goal was not allowed to stand, but a melee followed involving several players from both sides, and the fine is for that, rather than Fer's behaviour.

A statement from the FA read: "Norwich City have been fined the standard penalty of £20,000 after admitting a breach of FA Rule E20(a) in relation to their game against Cardiff City on 26 October 2013.

"The charge was that the club failed to ensure its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion in or around the 94th minute of this fixture."

Cardiff have also been charged with the breach but they have rejected the standard penalty and their fine will now be decided at a separate hearing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Norwich manager Chris Hughton has called for patience both on and off the pitch as his side prepare to take on West Ham on Saturday.

The Canaries will be looking to bounce back from their 7-0 thrashing at Manchester City last weekend - their sixth defeat in their opening 10 Premier League matches, which has left them down in 18th place in the table.

The Hammers have drawn their last two league games 0-0 and Hughton is expecting some stubborn resistance from Sam Allardyce's side at Carrow Road.

"Yes, possibly there will be times during the game when it might be difficult to break down a side like West Ham, who have been defensively very good, and that is when we might need a little bit of patience - that applies to the team as much as the supporters," said Hughton.

"We can't be throwing players forward at will. We have to get things right tactically so that might mean there are periods or lulls in the game which might lead to some frustrations.

"All I can say is I know our supporters have been right behind us this season and that will not change this weekend - we will need them again."

Hughton is quoted at 5/2 by Sky Bet to become the next Premier League manager fired, but he is not about to press the panic button.

"There is no need to set the alarm bells ringing," he said.

"If we win on Saturday, we go above West Ham and it changes the perceptions a little bit. What we can't do is look at the negatives. For me, they are in the past.

"We made sure we closed down last week's game as quickly as we could.

"I am convinced I will get the time to turn it around. We are possibly one or two results from being in a half decent position in the league, so it is not as if we are bottom and cut adrift.

"That, of course, doesn't make the feeling any better and we don't want to be in the bottom three, but we have everybody pushing in the right direction.

"I speak to the chief executive and the board on a regular basis and there isn't anyone at this football club who doesn't want us to make progress.

"Everybody is hurting right now - not just me and the players, but the board and the fans. We all want the same things."

Lots of pressure on him this season they've spent a lot of money this summer think I heard they are in the top 20 net spenders in Europe this summer although those figures can be misleading is you have 1 big sale like for example Spurs.

The board would hope with a £20-30m investment in players that they would be consolidating themselves as a mid table side not facing another relegation scrap and assuming it was Hughton who picked these players (I don't recall Norwich having a transfer board/director of football) then the buck really does stop with him.

Would be a shame to see them go down imo I quite like Norwich it's a bit of a footballing out post in terms of location but they have very loyal fans who were packing the stadium in League One but unfortunately that doesn't mean anything in football.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:55 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

He's brought in some absolute duds up front.. That seems to be a big part of the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I guess you have to give them time to settle in but so far none have them have shone.

I heard a stat that Van Wolfswinkel hasn't had a shot in his last 6 league games that isn't good although it could suggest they're not creating many chances for him.

I haven't really seen them play this season but they are leaking goals and since they hardly score any that has to be a real worry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Jonas Gutierezz has joined Norwich on loan for the rest of the season from Newcastle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Norwich chief executive David McNally has suggested that the football club would move swiftly to find the right candidate to replace boss Chris Hughton, if their Premier League status is in jeopardy.

After losing 2-0 at West Ham last time out, the Canaries find themselves in 16th spot in the table - two places and one point above Sunderland, who occupy the final place in the relegation zone with just 12 games to go until the end of the season.

However, Norwich also remain the only side in the bottom six not to have changed manager this season - and McNally says he is confident in the club's ability to act quickly if Hughton is not the right man to take them forward.

"It would be almost delinquent of the football club to not be aware of potential candidates, if for any reason your manager left," McNally told the Eastern Daily Press.

"If results are not good enough, you have to be aware of who is out there to help. You look at the market and who might be right for Norwich City.

"If we needed to make a change - and the average tenure of a Premier League manager is about a year and a half, which puts Chris in the top six or top eight longest serving right now - then if a change was necessary, it wouldn't be a case of, who are the contenders? It would be a case of reviewing what is required, where are we going and who is best placed to take the club forward."

McNally added: "If we believe Chris is the right man to take the club forward, then we stick with that.

"It is fine margins in our sport and what you have to be sure of is a guaranteed improvement."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Hughton sacked according to twitter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:27 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

On the BBC now too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:06 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Seems crazy to sack a manager when you're in a relegation battle with 5 games to go but to me it sounds like the players have quit on him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next