The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: IE10 arriving mid-November
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:38 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

they make it sound so dramatic....its even on the bbc news lol..top 10 most read stories! well its got me intrested..so cons, we need your view here, or anyone else that knows about web things, ive got firefox 4 downloaded, shall i install that or go for IE9?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: IE9 has gone LIVE!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:43 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Pass. As of now, there is no IE9 for Windows XP, and unless user backlash forces Microsoft into changing their mind, it looks unlikely there ever will be.

There is a history of Microsoft changing it's mind over security updates/the availability of XP to buy... but it was consumer demand with the emergence of low-powered net books that can't handle running the power-hungry Vista/Win7 OS that would have meant lost sales unless they changed their mind. Simply put there was money in it, whereas they give IE away for free so I'd say the chances of a repeat are not good.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:39 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

conscience wrote:
Pass. As of now, there is no IE9 for Windows XP, and unless user backlash forces Microsoft into changing their mind, it looks unlikely there ever will be.

There is a history of Microsoft changing it's mind over security updates/the availability of XP to buy... but it was consumer demand with the emergence of low-powered net books that can't handle running the power-hungry Vista/Win7 OS that would have meant lost sales unless they changed their mind. Simply put there was money in it, whereas they give IE away for free so I'd say the chances of a repeat are not good.

i have windows 7?... :ninja: who still uses xp??

and whats this about windows7 being power hungry?..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:23 am 
General
General

Manutd4Ever wrote:
i have windows 7?... :ninja: who still uses xp??

and whats this about windows7 being power hungry?..

I do. :geek: XP Pro is great, it does everything really well and still has the lion's share of the best PC games available for it imo. Plus Vista wasn't very good, and Win7 was just Vista with a new name for marketing reasons, more-or-less the same code with a few changes. I'm told Win7 is getting there in terms of quality, and isn't bad at all now but Microsoft OS's are never any good before a few service packs have been released.

So I waited.

At the mo I'm torn between Linux and Windows7, there's just no upside to Windows as a gaming platform anymore as far as I can see. The Windows world is just too fragmented now, and Linux can often run XP software just as well as Windows 7.

IMO they've knackered it by making DirectX 10/11 Vista/Win7 only, and tied that to specific graphic card hardware specs. In doing so, they have isolated a huge chunk of the Windows userbase from buying games so I don't think it's as attractive to games developers as it used to be. Most previous DirectX upgrades were software upgrades, so you didn't need new hardware to install it. As long as they were software upgrades, nobody was forced to upgrade or be left behind, so no risk... unlike now. Pity the Vista buyers who very soon couldn't run the latest games without a new PC or graphics card and a new OS... and who knows what Windows 8 will change when it reportedly arrives this year or next.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:43 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

windows 8 this year?? no way..we've barely had time to enjoy windows 7 :blink: , i must admit i was and still am a massive fan of win xp, hated vista from the moment i first used it, you can feel it sucking the life out of your machine. but my fave windows of all time has to be win 98 se. LOVED that. never used linux, dont know much about it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:49 pm 
General
General

Manutd4Ever wrote:
windows 8 this year?? no way..we've barely had time to enjoy windows 7 :blink: , i must admit i was and still am a massive fan of win xp, hated vista from the moment i first used it, you can feel it sucking the life out of your machine. but my fave windows of all time has to be win 98 se. LOVED that. never used linux, dont know much about it.

According to reports, yeah, late 2011/2012 is the assumed timetable AFAIK. One of the MS staffers let slip that Windows 8 would take "about two years", and this was on the first birthday of Windows 7. It was released to general sale in October 2009, so that was 2010... making 2012 the expected release date, probably by the middle of the year latest to catch the back to school/Christmas sale periods, which would logically mean we should really start seeing a pre-beta from mid-2011, a beta by late 2011, and at least one release candidate in early 2012. Not confirmed, but pieced together from various MS information, like the above, their previous release roadmaps, and referring to the 5-year gap between XP and Vista Steve Ballmer publicly pledged that the company would never again allow such a long period to elapse between releases. So it shouldn't be far off imo.

Don't forget Windows 7 was mostly slightly-tweaked Vista code, which was released in January 2007... so you've had four years to 'enjoy' the goodness, though that wasn't a word many Vista adopters would have used in the early days. :snigger: Hence Windows7 in the first place... Vista had such a bad reputation that they needed a re-branded box not just a service pack, as word had spread and sales were unspectacular.

Microsoft have also talked about a need to rewrite Windows from scratch to achieve higher security etc. so if that version is next, the Win7 users will be as chuffed as the Vista gamers were. :snigger:

Linux is a free alternative to windows s'all, not much to know. Just as good if not better than Windows at office and browsing stuff and techies can even get Windows games running on it... but noobs might struggle, and there's the catch if you like to game on your PC.

It's all a far cry from when XP ruled and developers felt safe putting the time, effort and money into a game knowing it would have a massive audience to sell to. Windows days as a gaming platform seem to be over. Which is a real ballache, as I don't own a console. :thumbdown: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:12 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
I use Windows 7 now since Christmas before last, having used Vista for two years previously to that.

Windows 7 is SO much better.

It was free as well. :D :ninja:

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:09 pm 
General
General

Microsoft's IE9: Don't believe the hype

Modern. But moving slow

By Tim Anderson • Register

Review Microsoft must be rattled by the steady decline in the market share of Internet Explorer. Worldwide it has gone from 68.5 per cent in July 2008 to 46 per cent today, according to StatCounter.

Internet Explorer 9, now in release candidate phase, is Microsoft's answer. Highlights include hardware-accelerated graphics, a new fast JavaScript engine codenamed Chakra, deep integration with Windows 7, and a stripped-down user interface intended to be less intrusive. The internals are different, but the user interface in IE9 resembles Chrome in some respects, complete with its One Box combined search and address field. Microsoft is also serious about HTML5 as an application runtime, indicating at its Professional Developer Conference last year that this is its favored solution for cross-platform support.

Does IE9 have what it takes to stop Microsoft's market share bleeding away, or even to win back users? Here is a quick look at the pros can cons.

On the plus side, the RC feels smoother and trips up less often than the beta, judging from my tests so far. New HTML5 features include support for the Geolocation API, video tag using the Google-sponsored WebM video codec if it is installed, CCSS3 2D transforms, and accessible media controls.

There are several usability refinements. You can now optionally place tabs on a separate row below the One Box, a small point but one that makes multiple open tabs easier to manage. Pressing the Alt key toggles the IE9 menu bar, which is another handy feature.

The biggest changes are in security and privacy. ActiveX filtering prevents all ActiveX controls from running, unless enabled on a site-by-site basis. This is great for security; though perplexing for less technical users, since only a small blue icon in the One Box shows when it is active. I used Adobe web conferencing with this feature enabled, for example. Although the latest Flash was already installed, the conferencing site automatically directed the browser to the Flash download site. This kind of usability issue is probably why the feature is off by default, which means it will not help the less technical users who most need it.

Tracking Protection is also off by default. This feature lets you block specified sites from tracking your web activity, saving you from annoyances like the same ads appearing on every site. You can download blocking lists from third-parties, making this feature easy to use. Site pinning, which adds shortcuts to the Windows 7 taskbar, is improved in this release. Developers can add code to web pages that lets users drag an in-page image, making this feature easier for sites to promote. Pinning is a neat feature for frequently used sites.

Pinning is controversial though. Pinned web sites support JumpLists, shortcuts to important pages within the pinned site, and these are enabled by meta tags within the HTML. When the feature appeared in the IE9 preview, some argued that Microsoft should have used the standard <menu> element instead of "msapplication" data that is only relevant on Windows. Fair point, and look how Drupal developer Gerhard Killesreiter responded when a user of this open source content management systems asked for it to be supported: "The only status is the "won't fix" one. We'll not join Microsoft in perverting the net again."

It is worth mentioning, because Microsoft has form, as the company which froze web standards for years and cares only about Windows. Although IE9 now delivers great improvement in standard support, it will not easily win over developers who observed the damage that was done.

While HTML5 support in IE9 is real and significant, it is not as comprehensive as the company's publicity implies. According to one test site [http://www.html5test.com], IE9 RC scores just 116, compared to 207 for Safari 5.0 and 244 for Chrome 10, in my tests.

Microsoft's development process is too slow. IE9 was announced at the Mix conference in March 2010, nearly a year ago. It has only just reached RC, and looks less impressive now because competing browsers have improved.

Although IE9 is generally pleasant to use, it is hard to configure because options are strewn all over the user interface. Some are in the Internet Options dialog, some are on the settings menu, some, like Show tabs on a separate row, are right-click menus. The RSS icon is now deeply hidden, since you have to make the command bar visible first.

Despite these reservations, IE9 is a remarkable improvement over IE8, even in RC form. It is fast and polished. The ActiveX filtering and Tracking Protection features are distinctive and excellent, though unfortunately off by default. Pinned sites work well, though only Windows 7 users benefit; and note that IE9 does not work at all on Windows XP. The developer tools, available by pressing F12, are superb, and now include the ability to change the user agent string. Network traffic capture is built in.

It is a good modern browser then - but do not believe all the hype. The competition is moving faster.

Post subject: IE10 arriving mid-November
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:09 pm 
General
General

Internet Explorer 10 preview to hit Windows 7 in mid-November

But there's no ETA for the final version.

by Peter Bright - Arstechnica.com

Windows 7 users wanting to upgrade to Internet Explorer 10 will have to wait a bit longer. Microsoft announced today that it will be shipping a preview of Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 in mid-November. There's no public timeline for the release of the final version; delivery of that version will depend on "developer and customer feedback."

On the face of it, the delay is a little surprising. Internet Explorer 10 is included with Windows 8, and since Windows 8 was completed back in August, clearly Internet Explorer 10 must in some sense be finished. The extra time required for Windows 7 may be due to underlying platform differences—Windows 8 supports Direct3D 11.1, compared to 11.0 on Windows 7, for example. So if Internet Explorer 10 depends on Direct3D 11.1 features, either that dependence has to be removed, or Direct3D 11.1 has to be ported to Windows 7.

This would not be unprecedented. Internet Explorer 9 depended on features such as Direct2D and DirectWrite that were built in to Windows 7. To enable the browser to run on Windows Vista, Microsoft shipped an update package that added the new capabilities to the older operating system.

The November preview will be the first version of Internet Explorer 10 to run on Windows 7 since Platform Preview 2 back in June of last year. Subsequent releases were restricted to Windows 8 only. Rather than shipping standalone previews of the browser engine, Microsoft used the Windows 8 Developer, Consumer, and Release Previews to serve double duty as Internet Explorer previews.

Unlike those two Platform Previews—which embedded the new rendering engine into a rudimentary container that lacked even a back button—the November release will be a full browser preview. It will include not just a rendering engine, but also a full browser user interface and shell.

Post subject: Re: IE10 arriving mid-November
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:41 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Anyone wanting to upgrade to IE10 should put the PC back in it's box and return it to the store it came from

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:50 am 
General
General

Spawny wrote:
Anyone wanting to upgrade to IE10 should put the PC back in it's box and return it to the store it came from

:lol:

Unfortunately, it'll probably be a security requirement to upgrade if you're a Windows user, as they might stop fixing IE9 so it will become vulnerable. Still doesn't mean you have to actually use it as a browser though.

And loooong gone are the days when people looked forward to and actually were excited by a new IE release. IE4/IE5 was maybe their last decent browser, and even then they weren't standards compliant and they included a lot of new IE-only cool stuff that didn't work on other browsers. MS really blew their market lead there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:53 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
conscience wrote:
Spawny wrote:

:lol:

Unfortunately, it'll probably be a security requirement to upgrade if you're a Windows user, as they might stop fixing IE9 so it will become vulnerable. Still doesn't mean you have to actually use it as a browser though.

And loooong gone are the days when people looked forward to and actually were excited by a new IE release. IE4/IE5 was maybe their last decent browser, and even then they weren't standards compliant and they included a lot of new IE-only cool stuff that didn't work on other browsers. MS really blew their market lead there.

True, it is probably something that you'll have to download for security's sake. I just don't see why anyone would use IE as a browser when there are so many better options out there. Firefox is great, and I used Opera for a while which I was really impressed with too.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.