The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Brazilian Football
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:04 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Likelihood of this thread often getting updates is pretty slim I imagine..but i've just seen this highlight video of Santos vs Flamengo and there's some great football and great goals. Neymars around the 1:35 mark is an amazing bit of skill..also some classic Ronaldinho moments towards the end.

Neymar does really look like he could be an unbelievable player.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Brazilian Football
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:25 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
What a game. I've always had a soft spot for 'dinho, nice to see him playing well again.

And yeah, Neymar looks incredible for his age based on that video.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:46 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Highscores: 1
Loving the bit after the penalty miss where the goalkeeper does some keepie uppie.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:44 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's forgotten just how good Ronaldinho was at the top of his game from those first 3 or 4 years at Barca he was almost unstoppable under Rijkaard.

That was some crazy feet by Naymer helped by some pretty weak tackling

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:46 am 
Major General
Major General

Awesome .. :fonz: :fonz:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:44 pm 
Major General
Major General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:50 pm 
Major General
Major General

I'll tell you what - this Neymar fella doesn't half lack a bit of confidence. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:30 pm 
Major General
Major General

Looks like true successor of ronaldinho

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:06 am 
Brazilians are the rulers of football and I love Ronaldinho and Ronaldo both.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:10 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Cairon wrote:
Brazilians are the rulers of football and I love Ronaldinho and Ronaldo both.

I think Spain would currently argue with that. Being World Champions and everything :wink:

Ronaldo is obviously a done figure in terms of current football but Ronaldinho has broken back in to the Brazil squad, how long do you believe he can stay around for?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:58 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

UPDATE! :excited:

Quote:
Mancini handed prison sentence
November 28, 2011

By ESPNsoccernet staff

Former Brazil international Mancini has been sentenced to two years and eight months in prison after he was found guilty of rape.

Mancini was with Inter Milan at the time of the attack
GettyImagesMancini was with Inter Milan at the time of the attack

Former Inter Milan and AC Milan winger Mancini, who is currently under contract with boyhood club Atletico Mineiro in Brazil, was accused on a sexual attack on a woman in December 2010.

The 31-year-old made six appearances for Brazil during his five-year spell with Roma. He signed for Inter Milan in 2008, but joined AC Milan on loan in the 2009-2010 season and then returned to his homeland in January this year.

Mancini had made 25 appearances for Atletico Mineiro in the current Brasileiro campaign.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:50 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I've just watched the Santos game that was on tonight. What a shocking performance from Neymar. He had 4+ one on ones and couldn't put the ball in the back of the net. Missed pretty much an open goal from just wide of the post. It was like the defense from the other team was on strike but Neymar didn't want a goal. One of the poorest displays of finishing i've ever seen.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:48 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Can we sticky these international league threads? I get a lot of futbol brasileiro nowadays on FSC so I'll make updates :angelnot:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:26 am 
Major General
Major General

is that you pele :p

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Quote:
Corinthians claim Copa glory
July 5, 2012

Corinthians have won the Copa Libertadores for the first time, Emerson scoring twice in the second leg of the final on Wednesday night to sink six-time champions Boca Juniors 3-1 on aggregate.

Corinthians were unbeaten en route to the Copa Libertadores title

The teams played out a 1-1 draw in last week's first meeting in Buenos Aires - a result which pleased the Brazilian side more than the Argentinian outfit - and two second-half goals from Emerson ensured Corinthians finished the job in Sao Paulo.

The victory secured not only a maiden Libertadores title for Tite's Corinthians, who went through the competition unbeaten, but also a place in December's FIFA Club World Cup in Japan.

A scrappy first half at the Estadio Pacaembu took a turn for the worse for Boca in the 32nd minute, when goalkeeper Agustin Orion collided with team-mate Leandro Somoza and was forced to leave the pitch with a knee injury.

Sebastian Sosa, who lost the 2011 Libertadores final with Penarol against Santos, replaced Orion between the posts but was powerless to prevent Emerson from opening the scoring eight minutes into the second half.

Alex's free-kick into the box was deflected by the head of Jorge Henrique towards Danilo, whose neat flick set up Emerson for a cool right-footed finish.

Boca coach Julio Falcioni made attacking substitutions by replacing midfielder Pablo Ledesma with forward Dario Cvitanich in a bid to get back on level terms, but they were soon hit with a sucker-punch as a bad mistake from defender Rolando Schiavi allowed the hosts to double their lead.

Schiavi misdirected a pass straight to Emerson, who ran more than 40 metres before unleashing his shot past Sosa.

"I am very happy because we know the history Boca Juniors have in worldwide football and in the Copa Libertadores," Emerson told Fox Sports.

"Our crowd represents 33 million fans. Since this year's Libertadores started, we have dreamt of clinching the title. We were all in need of this achievement."

Danilo, a previous Libertadores winner with Sao Paulo, said: "We totally deserved this. We did not lose any games. It is extraordinary for us to win this title, which Corinthians had never won in the past."

Defender Leandro Castan added: "We have made it into the history of the club. Maybe it was my last game at Corinthians but I will announce it on Friday. Now, it's time to celebrate. Boca were great rivals."

Corinthians became the ninth Brazilian team to lift the Copa Libertadores - joining Santos (1962, 1963 and 2011), Cruzeiro (1976 and 1997), Flamengo (1981), Gremio (1983 and 1995), Sao Paulo (1992, 1993 and 2005), Vasco da Gama (1998), Palmeiras (1999) and Internacional (2006 and 2010).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:33 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

:thumbup:
Quote:
Brazilian side Internacional have announced the signing of Diego Forlan only hours after the 33-year-old Uruguay striker had terminated his Inter Milan contract.

Forlan has signed a deal until 2015, and a statement from Internacional said: “Diego Forlan is the new reinforcement of Internacional. The Uruguay player is in Milan and will arrive in Porto Alegre on Saturday.”

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Quote:
Ganso the fallen star
July 10, 2012

By Chris Atkins

It's August 2010 and the Meninos da Vila (Kids of the Vila) are in full swing. Santos are crowned Copa do Brasil champions, their first national title in six years, and the back pages of the country's newspapers are dominated by the team's young stars.

Poster boys: Neymar and Ganso have seen their careers go in different directions

The Meninos of Robinho, Ganso, Neymar and Andre have amassed 27 goals between them in just ten games. An 18-year-old Neymar is the tournament's top-scorer and Ganso, just two years his senior, its best player. This was a tantalising glimpse of Brazil's future - Neymar and Ganso in tandem, leading club and country to glory.

A year later, the glorious vision was partially realised. Andre had departed for pastures new, whilst Robinho's peculiar loan arrangement at Santos from Manchester City had expired. Santos were irresistible, sweeping to Copa Libertadores glory in fine style, suffering just one defeat in 14 games. The Peixe had been floundering in continental competition since the time of Pele 50 years previous, but now they could once more boast a side their rich history deserved. Neymar and Ganso once more shared the plaudits. The former voted the competition's best player; the latter Man of the Match in the final. It was now surely just a matter of time before the double act led the national side to equivalent success, or so it was believed.

The warning signs were there, but the ever-increasing hype was all-consuming. Whilst Neymar was taking it in his stride, Ganso was silently breaking. The youngster's Copa Libertadores final display was a remarkable achievement, not for the skill demonstrated, but for the circumstances leading up to the game. Following the side's Copa do Brasil triumph, Ganso underwent knee surgery that would keep him out of action for six months. After a return lasting just nine games, the procedure needed repeating. The Copa Libertadores final second-leg was to be his comeback game and he shone. Beneath the surface, though, the cracks were appearing. A year on, they are gaping chasms.

The past 12 months have not been kind to the elegant playmaker. Brazil manager Mano Menezes insisted his side would be built around Ganso, but the Copa America of last summer proved to be a disaster. Unfit following his injury lay-off, the languid enganche, otherwise known as trequartista, struggled to deal with the rugged, battle-hardened defensive midfielders the continent had to offer.

In a role that very few players master, his inexperience was glaring and his confidence in tatters. By September, injury struck again and Ganso arrived at the Club World Cup in Japan short of fitness once more. Santos may have cruised past Kashiwa Reysol, but Barcelona would not be so kind. The final was a savage lesson to the Brazilian side, Neymar included, but it was Ganso who found his faults laid bare for all to see by the relentless pressure of the Blaugrana defence. All the while, the relationship between midfielder and club was creaking, having failed to see eye-to-eye over a new contract.

Whilst Neymar is now the golden boy of Brazilian football, Ganso is the forgotten man. ''Ganso is upset with the club. They put together a project for Neymar but forgot about Ganso," his agent, Delcir Sonda, complained this week. ''Ganso will not play for Santos again. That is guaranteed."

The beautiful vision of the future had soured. Two had become one in the eyes of the Brazilian public, and Ganso had been the one to lose out. Whilst Neymar's form and charisma make him a sponsor's dream, his often dour colleague does not hold the same appeal. The former's earning power allowed Santos to offer a mammoth contract worth more than £600,000-a-month, Ganso was offered just a quarter of that. With Ganso still the second lowest paid player in the Santos first-team, the relationship is now seemingly over.

A year ago there would have been considerable European interest at this development. Indeed, AC Milan are believed to have backed out of a deal last summer only at the last minute, following yet another unfortunate injury set-back. The current transfer window presents quite some contrast. Manchester United and Chelsea are bandied around as suitors in the English media, but this is ultimately speculation with little substance, with many unaware of the midfielder's recent travails.

The only concerted interest in recent months has come from Porto, who had a "derisory" bid of €8 million rejected by Santos in January - a far cry from the €20-30 million touted just last summer. That was January. Since then, Ganso has encountered little except poor form and injury. Indeed DIS, who own 55% of the player's economic rights, will this week look to buy the remaining share off Santos. If the Paulista side get anything in excess of €5 million for their share, they will be mildly content.

Ganso is crestfallen after Santos lost to Corinthians in the semi-finals of the Copa Libertadores last month

Talk in Brazil this week suggests Ganso will head south to Internacional, if his owners succeed in their attempted buy-out. A loan deal would see Ganso link up with the talented Andres D'Alessandro in midfield, behind a newly reinforced strikeforce of Leandro Damiao and Diego Forlan. The arrival, though, would surely see the departure of rising star Oscar, who appears headed for Chelsea.

Whilst Ganso's career has stalled, Oscar's has sky-rocketed. A wonderful hat-trick against Portugal in the 2011 Under-20 World Cup final kickstarted his rapid ascent to stardom, which culminated in four sublime appearances for the national team last month. As fate would have it, the former Sao Paulo youngster would never have been given the opportunity had it not been for Ganso's latest injury setback. The Olympic Games now loom on the horizon; they were supposed to be Neymar and Ganso's test-run for the 2014 World Cup. Now, even the latter's place in the team is in significant doubt.

Injuries have undoubtedly done untold damage to the youngster's progression, but the root of his poor form lies deeper than simply bad luck. On the biggest stages and against international standard defences, Ganso has consistently been found wanting over the past two years. As Juan Roman Riquelme and the deeper-lying Andrea Pirlo, or Paul Scholes, manage to compete at the top level at little more than walking pace, Ganso has been unable to replicate this success.

The enganche, or traditional South American number 10 playmaker role, is a dying art, with the aging Riquelme the only present master. Whilst the Argentine still dominates games, his Brazilian junior has failed to master this skill. Inexperience and a reticence to seek the ball see his undeniable talents too easily nullified. Compared with the vibrant, dynamic game offered by Oscar, Ganso is currently coming up short.

If ever a player needed a move to Europe to progress, it is Ganso. Whilst Oscar and Neymar already frequently find themselves simply too good for their domestic opponents, they emit an aura that suggests the transition to the Old Continent would be a mere formality. For Ganso, it would surely require a whole new learning process. The vast open spaces afforded in Brazil would be no more, and the very high pressure marking systems which have caused him so much bother to date would become a weekly occurrence. It would be sink or swim time for one of Brazil's most naturally gifted talents.

With his game simply not ready for the pressure of a move to a European giant, perhaps previously linked Porto or PSG would be suitable locations from where the playmaker could hone his skills. The onus would then be on him, and his body, to prove that he is capable of performing at the highest levels.

Hope still exists that one day, in the near future, Ganso's game will mature to once more be a match for his precocious colleague. Santos, though, look prepared to cut their losses on a player whose promising career appears to be stuck in an ever-deepening rut.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:13 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Staying in Brazil and getting out of Neymer's shadow might do him some good but if he could get a move to Porto that might be the best thing for him get away from the Brazilian crowds.

A move to England would be a huge mistake as he wants to much time on the ball.

This knee injuries have probably set him back a year or two in terms of his development he just needs to play games and see if he can get back on track

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:40 pm 
Major General
Major General

Surely worth a gamble for a team with lots of money to spend - buy him and loan him out to a team more suitable to allow him to regain his confidence and mature as a person and a player out of the spotlight? might not pay off, but if it did he'd be worth a fortune.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think the concern is the risk with him now is huge.

Internacional are taking that gamble I guess by trying to sign him with good players around him there will be less pressure on him and I guess they hope to flog him to Europe after WC 2014 where they hope he'll be a star.

The risk in bringing him to Europe probably doesn't make sense at the moment.

Also, Neymar on £600k a month thats £150k a week I know the economy in Brazil is booming but I didn't realise they were paying those sort of wages