AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Aston Vila
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:32 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill held "amicable" talks with James Milner on Monday to discuss the midfielder's future, the club have confirmed.

O'Neill revealed last week that the 24-year-old England international had expressed a desire to leave the club amid interest from Manchester City.

And with Milner back in training after a month off following the World Cup, O'Neill was keen to resolve the issue.

Milner will now join the Villa squad in pre-season training in Portugal.

He will not be involved in Tuesday's friendly against Walsall, but will join his team-mates when Villa fly out on Wednesday for the Guadiana Cup featuring Benfica and Feyenoord.

Milner took a full part in club training at Bodymoor Heath on Monday following his meeting with O'Neill, at which his agent Mathew Buck and the club's chief executive Paul Faulkner were also present.

Manchester City had a £20m bid for Milner, who joined Villa in a £12m deal from Newcastle in 2008, rejected earlier this summer.

Following that, O'Neill revealed that Milner "intimated he wanted to go" but added that the club will not allow the player to leave unless their valuation is met.

"City made an offer but it did not meet our valuation. I'd imagine things will be resolved in the foreseeable future," said the Northern Irishman last week.

The ongoing transfer saga echoes that which resulted in Gareth Barry eventually swapping Villa Park for Eastlands in June 2009 in a £12m deal.

And BBC Sport's football reporter Pat Murphy said on Radio 5 live: "O'Neill wanted to talk to Milner over his version of a meeting held on 31 May attended by, amongst others, owner/chairman Randy Lerner.

"O'Neill is adamant Milner would not discuss a new contract. As far as O'Neill is concerned, Milner wanted to leave Villa.

"Milner, however, is challenging that interpretation - possibly because the player fears a backlash from supporters similar to that experienced by Barry a couple of years ago. But O'Neill is in no mood to have his version of that 31 May meeting challenged.

"Unless Milner makes it clear he wants no part in Villa's future, he will have to travel with the squad to Portugal on Wednesday for pre-season training."

Manchester City have splashed out more than £80m this summer already, prompting many to tip Roberto Mancini's outfit for a Premier League title challenge this season.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Villa 2010/2011
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It must be really depressing to be a Villa fan. they very much seem to be a selling club, bring players in and sell em on for a higher price. Its a good business model but its unlikely they will progress much higher. In fact they will likely regress backwards down the league this year as i expect Liverpool and Everton to be stronger then them over the course of this season, Maybe even Birmingham too.

Post subject: Luke, These Are Not The Dwoids You're Looking For
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:04 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Liverpool have agreed a deal worth £2.5 million with Aston Villa for defender Luke Young, according to The Guardian.

Young, 31, has become surplus to requirements following the repositioning of Carlos Cuellar to right-back at Villa, and Liverpool are keen to strengthen their full-back positions due to the release of Fabio Aurelio and the impending sales of Philipp Degen and Emiliano Insua.

If the reported deal goes through, it is unknown whether Young, known for his versatility, is intended to be used by Hodgson as a backup to right-back Glen Johnson or as a first choice left-back to replace Insua.

Young was used by Martin O’Neill as a left-back in 2009 following an injury to the then first choice Wilfred Bouma, but fell out of favour with the Villa coach last season, starting just 14 Premier League games throughout the whole of the domestic campaign.

The signing of Young will also help Liverpool’s homegrown players quota, a ruling newly introduced to the Premier League.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Post subject: Re: Luke, These Are Not The Dwoids You're Looking For
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:09 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
I didn't expect that one.

I suppose he figures if you're gunna have average fullbacks might as well be helping towards the Englishman quota. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:12 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

If they can get his form back it's not the worst signing and like you said helps fill up the 25 think he can play both sides at the back as well and they're definitely short at LB.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:28 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
That is a surprise signing, looks like Woy is looking to build a solid mid-table team :lol:

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:31 am 
General
General

JSP wrote:
If they can get his form back it's not the worst signing and like you said helps fill up the 25 think he can play both sides at the back as well and they're definitely short at LB.

That's true, he's at least as good as the outgoing players on his day, if not a bit better, so no harm done. He could just be for fullback cover anyway if RH fancies a different LB.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Is that Luke Young deal as done and dusted as we thought?

The Mirror, claims that Young wants a pay-off from Aston Villa before committing himself to a wage drop at Liverpool.

He apparently earns £40,000 a week, which is news enough to jolt us awake this morning, and would have to accept less in these more austere times at Anfield.

"We will see how that develops," said Martin O'Neill."He is having a think about it. If he chooses to go that's it, if he chooses to stay then he needs to start playing because with the new rules I have to name a 25-man squad for the Premier League."

......or 'GET OUT' in plain English

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:40 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Quote:
Skysports.com understands Fulham are leading the race to sign Aston Villa defender Luke Young.

Liverpool appeared to be favourites to land the versatile defender after agreeing a deal with Villa, but it understood the move has collapsed as the player does not want to move his family north.

The former Tottenham and Charlton man is believed to be holding out for a move back to the capital as he seeks a switch away from Villa.

Villa are ready to offload Young after he dropped well down the pecking order in Martin O'Neill's plans.

A number of clubs including Sunderland and Fulham are believed to have expressed an interest in the 31-year-old, but Fulham are favourites for his signature.

Fulham have held a long-term interest in Young and incoming boss Mark Hughes is believed to be ready to push through a deal for the former England international as he looks to bolster the squad at Craven Cottage.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:20 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Aston Villa have launched a move for Aiden McGeady as they are on the verge of finally selling James Milner to Man City.

Villa need to sell-to-buy and are in negotiations with City which will see them get around £20million plus midfielder Stephen Ireland.

Milner’s exit is expected to be rubber-stamped in the next 48 hours as Villa’s US owner Randy Lerner is flying into the UK.

And with a huge windfall due from Milner’s imminent sale, Villa are offering Celtic cash plus Nicky Shorey for their winger McGeady.

Republic of Ireland ace McGeady,24, returned on Wednesday night from talks with Spartak Moscow with a view to a £10m transfer.

McGeady had positive discussions with the Russian club after being offered a staggering £70,000-a-week net.

But news of Spartak’s tempting contract has prompted Villa into action as ex-Celtic boss Martin O’Neill wants to be re-united with his former protege.

McGeady prefers a move to the Premier League and is keen on Villa after Mirrorsport revealed O’Neill’s interest on June 25.

Villa are also willing to give Celtic boss Neil Lennon their back-up left-back Shorey, 29, as the SPL giants rate the former England defender.

McGeady is now mulling over his future after both clubs firmed up their interest with Villa prepared to pay him £50,000-a-week.

Milner, 24, trained yesterday at Villa before having a game of golf.

He is willing to play this evening in a friendly at home to Valencia to boost his fitness despite being braced for a negative reaction from fans.

But Milner, who did not play last weekend due to back spasms, is unlikely to be risked as a deal with City is very close.

Villa will use some of the other money from Milner’s sale to buy Robbie Keane from Tottenham.

Celtic are expected to sign Stoke winger Liam Lawrence to replace McGeady.

But Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp wants Villa winger Ashley Young which is set to give O’Neill another headache.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:09 am 
Major General
Major General

Selling Milner could prove to be the making of Villa this season if they do get Ireland, McGeady AND Keane.

Post subject: Martin O'Neill leaves Aston Villa
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:23 pm 
Major General
Major General

By mutual consent, apparently. Breaking news on Sky now...

Speculation suggests it may centre around James Milner supposedly leaving.

Post subject: Martin O'Neill Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:24 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Aston Villa can confirm that Martin O'Neill has resigned as manager of the football club with immediate effect.

Kevin MacDonald, reserve team manager, has assumed the role of caretaker manager and will prepare the team for the opening Barclays Premier League game of the season against West Ham on Saturday at Villa Park.

Paul Faulkner, chief executive of Aston Villa, said: "The club would like to thank Martin for the great work he has done at Aston Villa over the past four years. He has helped to establish the club in the upper echelons of the Premier League, has taken us to Wembley and we have also qualified for European competition for the past three seasons under his management. We wish him the best in the future."

Martin O'Neill said: "I have enjoyed my time at Aston Villa immensely. It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club. I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager. I wish them all the best for the future. I will obviously be assisting the club in the immediate short-term with regard to the handover of my duties."

No further comment will be made by either Aston Villa or Martin O'Neill until further notice.

Post subject: Re: Martin O'Neill leaves Aston Villa
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Didn't expect that

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:29 pm 
Major General
Major General

Bit of a shock this one, something must have happened. He has been on a rolling contract though which suggests one party hasn't been happy for a while.

Villa will miss him, he's a good manager and will be very hard for them to replace. Has done very well with them in his time there too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:30 pm 
General
General

Disagreement over the money perhaps? I know he'd implied he was gunna walk out if they forced him to sell any players... and City are after Milner. Curious. Unless he's being lined up for a job elsewhere. Be interesting to see why he's left if/when it all comes out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I didn't see that coming. Thought it would have happened pre summer if it was going to happen

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Liverpool fan just said to me - Why couldn't that have happened a few months ago.

What odds on him being City manager by Christmas?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:35 pm 
Major General
Major General

Wouldn't have thought so, he's not a big enough name.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:39 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

He's a fantastic manager imo and they'd do great to get him in charge. Obviously just speculation on my part there.

He could have really left Villa in the lurch here. If they sell Milner it'll be straight cash now as there isn't a manager in place to say who he wants.

Does Hughes wish he didn't take the Fulham job?

I think Boro could lose Strachan. Curbishley will obviously throw his name in to the hat. Who else is likely to go there?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next