AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Time To Get Excited About The Olympics
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:57 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I had half an eye on the tv .
From what I saw it was not bad but I can't comment about the music . On my tv set the sound is always off .
But I had to snigger a bit about a few Inside British jokes that needed explanation .
Only fools and horses is famous , but that does not means the whole world knows it . :p

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:15 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
The closing ceremony was a bit of a borefest tbh. :coffee:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:58 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Closing ceremony was just to long they had a good range of performers but getting current artists to perform covers of old song like Jessie J covering Queen and Ed Sheeran doing Pink Floyd for me was a bit of a mistake.

No idea why George Michael was allowed to play his new song and Beady Eye singing Wonderwall was a bit of a shame considering it was Noel that wrote the song but those two will never appear on stage again.

Fatboy Slim pretending to DJ was a bit of a personal highlight.

Was a shame when they decided to do that Bowie compilation thing that he didn't appear that would of been a great thing to see him perform the closing ceremony.

The main problem was they had 3 or 4 acts then bought out the athletes which took forever and they just had to keep replaying what they'd already done.

You're never going to please everyone but what it did showcase last night was just how influential British music has been down the years and having a party to close was a great way of doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:17 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Am I the only one that thought the closing ceremony was pretty good? :lol:

Saying that, didn't watch the whole thing.

Overall I don't think the games could have gone much better at all, as someone who isn't patriotic in the slightest normally, it did make me really proud to be British, and it's had such a feelgood effect on the whole isles from what I've seen. London has been buzzing, it's been fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:58 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

One thing's been bugging me:
Team GB consisted of England, Wales, Scotland.... and Northern Ireland.

So hang on, why wasn't it Team UK?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:50 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I was told it had something to do with the UK not including the Isle of Man..but i don't really know what difference that makes, or if it's even true. Could be though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:58 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
Serbinator wrote:
Am I the only one that thought the closing ceremony was pretty good? :lol:

I thought it was pretty good. Bit of a slow start, but once it got going, it was fun.

Eric Idle, legend.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:38 am 
Major General
Major General

Eric Idle was probably the highlight for me. He was fantastic :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:48 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Who remembers the days when "always look on the bright side" was somewhat of an anthem at United? We may have to bring it back in the post-Fergie era!

Closing ceremony was a mixed bag for me. Eric was great, enjoyed Mr Blue Sky blasting out too. But One Direction, Kaiser Chiefs, Liam Gallagher, Queen and Jessie J were low points for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:15 am 
Major General
Major General

Muse and Liam Gallagher were the only low points that I saw, both were sh*te.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:25 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Serbinator wrote:
Muse and Liam Gallagher were the only low points that I saw, both were sh*te.

what the f*** has happened to liam gallagher. He could never sing live but now he's devolped some awful speech impediment too.

And that hunch thing, he's becoming a paraody of himself. w****r

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:41 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I think his live voice was great in the mid 90s.

Agree with the rest, he is a parody.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:40 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
I didn't think Liam was that bad. Not outstanding but he sounded ok. Haven't listened to Wonderwall in a long time. So it was nice to hear him sing it again.

The Spice Girls coming back every now and again seems to just make you wonder, why they were so popular in the first place :blink:

Pity Bowie didn't sing Heroes.

George Michael should have played either one of his classics or covered a classic.

I thought the opening ceremony was outstanding. Artistic, clever, with a narrative and blended the history of London/Britian with it's popular and sporting culture. The closing ceremony seemed a to be just throwing a lot of pop/rock stars in that were willing to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:42 am 
Major General
Major General

I thought Spice Girls were much better than Liam Gallagher :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:08 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Spice Girls were just a very well marketed girl group who came along at the right time to exploit the ladette culture that grew during the 90's they weren't particularly talented but they appealed to teenage girls.

When they did that Bowie montage thing it was devestating that he didn't perform instead we just had Kate Moss & Naomi Campbell walking around in dresses.

Letting George Michael perform new material was a joke no one else got to do it so why should he.

Probably for the best that the athletes didn't near the performers with drug testers still around I'm pretty sure being within 10 feet of Kate Moss will give you a positive sample.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
He took his kit off for a major Louis Vuitton fashion endorsement earlier this month after diving into the designer world post becoming the most decorated Olympian of all time, but now it looks like swimming champ Michael Phelps is facing the threat of being stripped of his medals as well.

Phelps, who seductively posed in a bath for the famed French label’s campaign may lose his medals won at the London 2012 Olympic Games, four golds and two silvers, after images surfaced of his latest business ventures on Twitter last week (August 13).

According to Rule 40, a regulation introduced by the International Olympic Committee earlier this year, athletes were forbidden to participate in non-Olympic marketing campaigns from July 18 to August 15, 2012.

So if the saucy flicks were due to be released on August 16 and some troublesome individual leaked the images online, Phelps will be in the clear. Phew.

But if the photos were leaked intentionally by the brand, then the Olympic legend will face being stripped of his adornments.

The French fashion house have claimed that the two photos, snapped by Anne Leibovitz, had been leaked and that they were in fact unofficial images ‘stolen’ from the company.

Phelps’ management team have also denied leaking the flicks. The official IOC rule states: ‘’A competitor or a team may lose the benefit of any ranking obtained in relation to other events at the Olympic Games at which he or it was disqualified or excluded; in such case the medals and diplomas won by him or it shall be returned to the IOC.’’

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I doubt the IOC would risk stripping Phelps of titles over something so petty and stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Special Report has investigated how some Paralympic athletes might seek to gain an unfair advantage by adopting an illicit practice this summer called 'boosting'.

The International Olympic Committee says London 2012 was a huge success in their clampdown against drugs cheats - and organisers will be looking for a similar outcome when the Paralympic Games begin next Wednesday.

But one of the biggest fights Games organisers may face is something they may not be able to trace.

Boosting is a process where athletes deliberately injure themselves in a part of their body where they have no feeling - such as wheelchair athletes breaking a toe.

This injury prompts a surge in both heart-rate and blood pressure, giving competitors a short-term boost in performance - although at the risk of suffering a heart attack or stroke.

Boosting has been outlawed by Paralympic authorities but is still thought to be a widespread practice.

Canadian rock-climber Brad Zdanivsky, who is paralysed from the waist down, told Special Report: "Boosting is basically like throwing gasoline onto a fire.

"Anybody that is going to spend years of their life training for an event or training for a specific sport is going to experiment with boosting just because they want to see if they can get the performance enhancement.

"If you are going to train for that long for a sport and you think the difference between a gold and a silver medal is taking a risk with your health, those guys will do it every time."

Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson - who won 16 Paralympic medals during a glittering wheelchair racing career, including 11 golds - revealed: "I do know people who have boosted in the past and for a long time it wasn't illegal to do it. It was absolutely accepted within some sports.

"The first guy who realised that he could bring on this Autonomic dysreflexia used to tap nails into his feet."

The International Parlaympic Committee banned boosting in 1994 but the ban has been difficult to enforce as there is no lab test for boosting and no ban for boosting.

The only sanction available to the IPC is to withdraw from competition any athlete they suspect of boosting.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:15 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Red_Ped wrote:
One thing's been bugging me:
Team GB consisted of England, Wales, Scotland.... and Northern Ireland.

So hang on, why wasn't it Team UK?

From the BBC website...............

If you're reading this in Minnesota, you may think the whole of the landmass of the UK can be referred to as "England" - an error we sometimes make in calling the Netherlands "Holland".

But in fact the one unambiguously correct term for the United Kingdom - comprising England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland - is, well, "the United Kingdom".

"Great Britain", as Bristlehoundog correctly points out, is actually England, Scotland and Wales - though a further complication is that "Britain" (without the "Great") isn't quite so precise.

If you want to know more, Wikipedia gets it pretty much right and if you fancy going into the real detail of terminology they have even more here.

At the BBC we publish Editorial Guidelines which include a section on reporting the UK, and these are now online for you to have a look at too: - with the main point being about sensitivity and awareness.

But I should emphasise that Team GB is what the outside world calls it, not our choice!

Why then in Olympic sport is it Team GB?

The full name is "the Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic team" as the British Olympic Association's website makes clear.

By chance I bumped into one of our friends at the BOA the other day and they acknowledged this is a difficult area.

But the key points are that we've entered the Olympics as Great Britain since the modern era began in 1896 and the recognised international abbreviation is "GBR".

The 'correct' full version is used as appropriate, but it's equally true that "Team GB" has become the tremendously strong brand that we saw in Beijing, and it has a lot of public support - while attracting relatively few complaints.

So it looks as if we'll have "Team GB" in 2012 and beyond.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Check out 3:20 :laugh:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7