Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Holland Want To Reach The Final
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Patty(TINH) spoke with Rafael van der Vaart about his situation at Real Madrid and the upcoming World Cup...

Dutch international Rafael van der Vaart appeared to be on his way out of Real Madrid last summer, but the attacking midfielder eventually opted to stay at the Bernabeu.

The former Ajax star has since fought his way back into the starting XI at Los Blancos and his changed situation has made him an integral part of Holland's national side again.

"I have fully recovered from my injury and I'm raring to go again. I'm happy that I got playing time again in the match against Tenerife," van der Vaart was quoted as saying by Goal.com Netherlands.

"The start of the season was very difficult for me. I was considering leaving the club, but I eventually decided to stay and I'm glad I did so. Things have been going pretty well so far, except for the injury I sustained in January. I didn't even have a shirt number at the start of the season and I was part of the starting XI only a couple of months later."

The creative midfielder also took the time to discuss his situation with Oranje and stated that he has high expectations of the upcoming World Cup.

"I don't really know what to expect of the friendly against USA, as I've never played against them before. The only player I know is Everton's Landon Donovan.

"The team has only been together for three days, so that's not really helping. There's not too much you can do ahead of this kind of game. The important thing is that we're together and that we have the opportunity to gel.

"I have pretty high expectations of the World Cup. We did pretty well at Euro 2008 and it's important to pick up where we left off back then. We have to survive the group stage and we'll see what happens from there on in. I want to make it to the final. I don't care what team we meet in the final, as long as we get there."

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Holland Want To Reach The Final
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:48 am 
Major General
Major General

yeah who gives a feck about winning it :lol:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

Post subject: Re: Holland Want To Reach The Final
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:18 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm suprised anyone would want to reach the final tbh /sarcasm

Post subject: The Nederlands Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Veteran striker Ruud van Nistelrooy has been has been left out of Holland's 26-man training squad ahead of this summer's World Cup.

Van Nistelrooy, 33, retired from international football after Euro 2008, but hoped to force his way into coach Bert van Marwijk's plans after making himself available for international selection again.

Van Marwijk, who will meet his players in two separate two-day training camps next week, also opted not to call on players involved in the Champions League final.

That will mean Bayern Munich duo Arjen Robben and Mark van Bommel as well as Inter Milan's Wesley Sneijder will remain with their clubs.

Uncapped duo Jeremain Lens from AZ Alkmaar and Ajax's Vurnon Anita were given their first call-ups.

Van Marwijk will name his 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup on May 11.

Training squad: Sander Boschker, Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax), Piet Velthuizen (Vitesse), Michel Vorm; Khalid Boulahrouz (Stuttgart), Joris Mathijsen (Hamburg), Andre Ooijer, Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Feyenoord), Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord); Ibrahim Afellay, Vurnon Anita (Ajax), Otman Bakkal (PSV Eindhoven), Edson Braafheid (Celtic), Wout Brama, Demy de Zeeuw (Ajax), Orlando Engelaar, John Heitinga (Everton), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), Stijn Schaars, David Mendes da Silva (AZ Alkmaar); Ryan Babel (Liverpool), Eljero Elia (Hamburg), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Jeremain Lens.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Holland Leave Out Ruud
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:53 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Jeremain Lens is a reported target of Wolves. Meant to be decent.

These are my tip to cause a few surprises - maybe not win it but certainly do well.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

OneLoveOneEric wrote:
These are my tip to cause a few surprises - maybe not win it but certainly do well.

they're world ranked No. 4.... so the surprise would be not reaching the semi-final :blink:

<RJ nominates Spain and Brazil as his 'dark horses'>

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:29 am 
Major General
Major General

Would have been a good option coming from bench ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Ruud van Nistelrooy's World Cup hopes have received a boost after Holland coach Bert van Marwijk revealed the veteran striker is still in with a chance of making the squad for South Africa.

Van Nistelrooy was left out of a 26-man training squad named by Van Marwijk on Monday but the Dutch coach insists fans of the Oranje should not read too much into that decision.

Van Marwijk must name his provisional 30-man squad for the World Cup on May 11, and said he will give the former Manchester United striker until the last possible moment to convince the coaching set-up of his worth.

"As for Ruud, I'm giving myself until May 11 to decide," Van Marwijk told De Telegraaf.

"I'm leaving him until that date to convince me that he is sufficiently in shape to take part in the World Cup.

"I have seen a lot of Ruud playing recently and found that I did not have to call on him for a training camp."

The 33-year-old retired from international football after Euro 2008 but had hoped to force his way into Van Marwijk's plans after making himself available for international selection again.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: The Nederlands Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Koninklijke Nederlandse Voetbalbond Est.1889

Coach: Bert van Marwijk.

Confederation: UEFA

FIFA Ranking (Dec 09): 3

Previous Appearances: 8 1934, 1938, 1974, 1978, 1990, 1994, 1998, 2006

Background
With the famous 'totaalvoetbal', the Netherlands impressed the world in the seventies during two World Cups. The 1974 side was probably the strongest team ever not to win the World Cup together with Hungary in 1954. No single side managed to fulfil the eternal Dutch dream of becoming World Champions, although the 1998 squad came close with a place in the semi-final.

How They Qualified
Was it a bumpy road to South Africa? On the contrary. Bert van Marwijk's team probably had the easiest qualifying session of every country, with the exception of hosts South Africa. The Dutch team comfortably won Group 9 in the European zone beating Norway, Scotland, Macedonia and Iceland. With a World Cup ticket in the bag after the sixth matchday, the Netherlands managed to beat Norway and Scotland and made their campaign perfect, winning all of their eight matches.

Strengths

Robin van Persie, Wesley Sneijder, Arjen Robben; many countries would like them in their squad. The offensive part of the Dutch team is very strong, maybe close to world class. The tecnically brilliant Van Persie, the playmaking qualities of Sneijder and the dribbling ability and pace of Robben are a big threat for every opponent. When fully fit, the trio are a dangerous weapon.
Weaknesses

Despite have a good qualifying campaign, the defence has always been a point of discussion in the Netherlands itself. Andre Ooijer is an experienced centre-back, who is however getting a bit old. Everton defender John Heitinga would really like to play centre-back in the Dutch team, which would leave an open spot for talented right-back Gregory van der Wiel. Joris Mathijsen has been criticised quite a bit when he started to be a regular player in defence, but his performances are improving. Giovanni van Bronckhorst is the captain of the team, but people are a bit worried about his qualities. Oiginally a midfielder, Van Bronckhorst seems to have difficulty with playing against a real winger.

The Coach

Bert van Marwijk was the successor of Marco van Basten after Euro 2008. As a club coach he reached the Dutch Cup final with the modest side Fortuna Sittard in 1999. At Feyenoord he lived his finest moments, winning the UEFA Cup in 2002 and the national Cup in 2008. Van Marwijk is a quiet, conservative coach, who is not likely to bring surprises in the WC-squad. The possibility of Edwin van der Sar and Ruud van Nistelrooy giving up their international retirement is still there, but conversations with Van Marwijk haven't taken place yet.

Star Men

Robin van Persie (Arsenal)
One of the key players of English side Arsenal. Spending his youth in the streets of Rotterdam playing 'street soccer', Van Persie created the foundation for his brilliant technique and skills. As his manager Arsene Wenger once said, "there's no player who can hold the ball so close to his foot with his first touch as Van Persie." Being used on the right wing in the past, Van Persie has expressed his desire to play in the striker role in the Dutch team like he does at Arsenal. A forward close to world class.

Wesley Sneijder (Inter)
Real Madrid didn't need him anymore, but at Italian giants Inter, Wesley Sneijder has quickly become one of the club's key players. Sneijder, coming from the youth ranks of Ajax, has the almost unique ability to shoot and pass exceptionally well with his right and left foot. He understands how to play behind the striker of his own team and between the defence and midfield of the opponents. His positioning is very good, which provides him the opportunity to give assists and score goals from distance.

Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich)
A very skillful and quick winger, who can drive his opponents mad. His dribbling skills and pace are absolutely great, which makes him a player who can decide matches or break the deadlock. There's only one problem: he is injury prone. Robben suffers a lot from injuries and is also known as the man of glass. If fully fit, Robben is a dangerous weapon for any top class side.

Best Footballing Moment
The only tournament won by the Netherlands is the European Championships of 1988. It was the team with stars like Marco van Basten and Ruud Gullit. In 1974, the Dutch team let victory slip away against West Germany after leading 1-0 after only two minutes. Before the converted penalty of Johan Neeskens, no single German had touched the ball. In 1978, Rob Rensenbrink hit the post in the last minute of the final against Argentina at 1-1. An example of 'so close and yet so far away'.

Off The Pitch
Famous for: wooden shoes, the tulips and (most heard from foreigners when asked about the Netherlands), the policy regarding drugs. The Dutch coffee shops are a highlight for all those tourists from all over the world.
Most likely to: start the tournament very well. The expectations will start to rise in the Netherlands. Will the dream of becoming World Champions finally come true? And then one off-day in the knock out phase will destroy the dream again.

World Cup Objective
The 'Orange fever' will start to grow when the start of the WC comes closer and closer. All programs on TV will be focused on the chance of the Dutch becoming World Champions. Realistically, the quarter-finals are possible, everything beyond that will be a nice surprise.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Holland coach Bert van Marwijk has announced his provisional squad for the 2010 World Cup. The former Feyenoord gaffer named 30 men in his initial squad for this summer's tournament.

Experienced Hamburger SV striker Ruud van Nistelrooy hasn't received a call-up. The prolific hitman retired from international football after Euro 2008, but recently expressed his interest in making a comeback.

The most surprising names in the provisional squad are Ajax defender Vurnon Anita and AZ attacker Jeremain Lens. Both players have yet to make their first international appearance for Oranje. Midfielders Wout Brama and Otman Bakkal are relatively inexperienced, too.

PSV defender Andre Ooijer was included in the provisional squad, despite recent rumours that he would be axed following his poor run of form at club level.

Oranje will have to deal with Cameroon, Denmark and Japan in the group phase of the World Cup. The Dutch start the tournament with a match against Denmark on June 14.

Goalkeepers -

Maarten Stekelenburg Ajax
Michel Vorm Utrecht
Sander Boschker Twente

Defenders

David Mendes da Silva AZ
Gregory van der Wiel Ajax
Khalid Boulahrouz Stuttgart
John Heitinga Everton
Ron Vlaar Feyenoord
Joris Mathijsen Hamburger SV
Giovanni van Bronckhorst Feyenoord
Edson Braafheid Bayern Munich
Vurnon Anita Ajax
Andre Ooijer PSV

Midfielders -

Demy de Zeeuw Ajax
Orlando Engelaar PSV
Wesley Sneijder Inter
Rafael van der Vaart Real Madrid
Ibrahim Afellay PSV
Mark van Bommel Bayern Munich
Otman Bakkal PSV
Wout Brama Twente
Nigel de Jong Manchester City
Stijn Schaars AZ

Forwards -

Jeremain Lens AZ
Arjen Robben Bayern Munich
Dirk Kuyt Liverpool
Klaas-Jan Huntelaar Milan
Robin van Persie Arsenal
Ryan Babel Liverpool
Eljero Elia Hamburger SV

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Netherlands will have to deal with Denmark, Japan and Cameroon if they are to survive the group stage of this summer's World Cup, but tricky winger Eljero Elia is full of confidence ahead of this summer's tournament and has taken the time to discuss Oranje's opponents in South Africa.

"We have a very strong team, a lot of big players. I've been in the squad for about six months now and I want to stay in the team. We fight for each other now. It's not always been like that in previous years," said Elia to FIFA.com.

"I think the tactics will be important in the match against Denmark. But also we have great players who can change a game in one second. We have to build on that, we have to play football. The best team will win.

"We played against Japan eight months ago and in the first half they played as well as us and everybody was in shock, saying 'What’s wrong?' But in the second half we changed the game.

"I watched the Africa Cup of Nations in Angola, and Cameroon had some great battles. They play very hard and put in some tough tackles. We have to watch out for the tackles and we have to play our own game."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Ryan Babel’s dream of going to the World Cup with the Netherlands could be seriously compromised by a right hamstring injury, the AP have reported.

As yet there has been no word of the gravity of the problem currently suffered by the 23-year-old, who has had a difficult campaign with club side Liverpool, struggling to gain regular first team minutes.

With 37 caps already to his name, Babel has been a regular member of the international setup for around three years and was likely to head to South Africa, though coach Bert van Marwijk must trim his provisional squad of 30 down to just 23. Doubtless he will take physical condition into account, and Babel’s latest set-back is sure to count against him in the final reckoning.

The Amsterdam-born player has already had to endure the anguish of missing out on a place in the Euro 2008 panel due to ankle ligament trouble, and it seems he could be in a similarly tight spot this summer if his complaint proves to be at all serious.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

ImageImageImageImageImage

I like to reinforce banal national stereotypes

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:18 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Resurrection Joe wrote:

The England thread needs more white vans, lions, scousers and burberry.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:19 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Resurrection Joe wrote:

Where's the clog with the 3 stripes? :D

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:53 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Orlando Engelaar was one of four players to miss out as Holland boss Bert van Marwijk made the final cut to his 23-man World Cup squad on Thursday.

Although Van Marwijk will make a formal announcement of his squad at a press conference in Austria later, the Dutch football association released a lunchtime statement revealing Engelaar, Vurnon Anita, Ron Vlaar and Jeremain Lens will not travel to South Africa.

PSV Eindhoven midfielder Engelaar was the only player of that quartet to have played for Holland at a major tournament, having started all four matches of their run to the quarter-finals at Euro 2008.

Holland have been drawn in Group E at the World Cup alongside Denmark, Cameroon and Japan.

Holland's World Cup squad: Sander Boschker, Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax), Michel Vorm; Khalid Boulahrouz (Stuttgart), Edson Braafheid (Celtic), John Heitinga (Everton), Joris Mathijsen (Hamburg), Andre Ooijer (PSV Eindhoven), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Feyenoord), Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax); Ibrahim Afellay, Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), Demy de Zeeuw (Ajax), Stijn Schaars, Wesley Sneijder (Inter Milan), Mark van Bommel (Bayern Munich), Rafael van der Vaart (Real Madrid); Ryan Babel (Liverpool), Eljero Elia (Hamburg), Klaas Jan Huntelaar, Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool), Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich), Robin van Persie (Arsenal)

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:05 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Oh bugger .
The Netherlands - Hungary 6-1
But the man of glass out with a suspected hamstring injury

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

fire extinguishers wrote:
Oh bugger .
The Netherlands - Hungary 6-1
But the man of glass out with a suspected hamstring injury

is 'the man of glass' Robben....

....or van Persie

.....or van der Vaart?

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:35 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

:p
You mean the dutch team is full of croacks ?

'T was Robben .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

fire extinguishers wrote:
:p
You mean the dutch team is full of croacks ?

'T was Robben .

the Dutch team should be allowed a 35 man squad because 6 will be sent home, 4 will refuse to play & 2 will get injured playing ping pong

ImageImage
Quote: