In 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
Out 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: Re: Brexit - In or out?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
"Another big seismic shock" could hit British politics at the next election, Nigel Farage has warned Theresa May if Brexit is not delivered by 2020.

The interim UKIP leader said he suspected the Conservative Government "is not fit for the legacy of Brexit".

He made the remarks at a reception in London's Ritz Hotel to celebrate his contribution to the Brexit victory.

In a nod to Donald Trump's call for him to be UK ambassador to the US, he handed out Ferrero Rocher chocolates.

The sweet treats were famously offered in an advert set at an "ambassador's reception" and included the oft-quoted line: "You are really spoiling us."

And Mr Farage has dismissed reports that he is planning to emigrate to the United States.

Mr Farage was introduced for his speech by Leave.EU spokesman Andy Wigmore, who accompanied him in a meeting with the US president-elect at Trump Tower earlier this month - with a call for attention from "Ladies, Gents, Lords and... diplomats."

Mr Farage told the gathering: "We've got a problem. In America the revolution is total. Not only have the people spoken and won, but the old administration, Obama and all those ghastly people, are out and the Trump people are in.

"In this country, the people have spoken, but the same players have just been shuffled around the chess board and we are still being run by the career professional political class.

"I am not sure what is going to happen over the course of the next couple of years but I suspect there's another big seismic shock in British politics perhaps going to come at the next election.

"I suspect that the Conservative Party is not fit for the legacy of Brexit. I suspect there is going to be a genuine realignment of British politics over the course of the next three or four years.

"It is unfinished business - the people have spoken but the establishment don't want to listen. There are great battles to be fought and I'm going to go on fighting those battles."

The reception at the Ritz was hosted by millionaire Arron Banks, who was thanked by Mr Farage for bankrolling the Leave.EU campaign.

'Political revolution'

Also present were Conservative MPs Jacob Rees-Mogg and Peter Bone, Labour Leave campaigner and donor John Mills and UKIP leadership candidate Paul Nuttall.

Asked if he would back Mr Farage to be the UK ambassador to the US, Mr Rees-Mogg said: "Mr Farage's relationship with Mr Trump could be beneficial for the country but I am not sure he should be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary.

"Mr Farage is certainly extraordinary in his own way but I think that being plenipotentiary as well may be a bit too much."

Mr Farage recalled that he had joined Mr Banks and other leading Brexiteers at the Ritz on the morning after the 23 June referendum for a victory breakfast of Champagne and kippers - a reference to the nickname for UKIP supporters.

He said: "When people look back in 100 or 200 years, 2016 will be seen as one of the great historic years - a year of big political revolution.

"Brexit was the first brick knocked out of the establishment wall and then look what we got on 8 November. The election of 'The Donald' was something of a completely different order."

To cheers he said: "For those of you who aren't particularly happy with what happened in 2016, I've got some really bad news for you - it's going to get a bloody sight worse next year."

If our government haven't delivered Brexit by 2020 then we'll just elect a new one to do it but we're now learning today that further cuts to public services are coming and borrowing is going up in the short term to help the economy through this transition period.

Those who voted for Brexit because they wanted change just look at the people this guy knocks about with they are the establishment that they feel have screwed them and forgotten about them I really worry that by effectively we've voted for giving even more power back to the old white public school boy toffs who'll continue looking after their mates and probably help the average working man out even less.

It still sickens me that this vote was actually given to the public we should never have had a vote on this and the legal challanges to a referendum result should've been resolved before they held the referendum so we knew how it would all work in the aftermath it just highlights to me the arrogance on the remain side where all these MPs would just assume that we'd vote remain

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
It annoys me that people think those who voted leave weren't very aware the next 2-5 yrs were going to be difficult. Either those voting remain didn't fully comprehend the size of the change or they were ignorant because those voting leave fully expected everything to go the way it has so far. We knew the country will struggle we weren't the idiots you made us out to be. Leaving is a long term plan and those analysing it 5 months down the line are ridiculous. It's akin to appointing a football manager and judging his tenure 45 seconds in to a football match because they conceded an early goal.

The country would already be in a better state if it would pull together instead of remain voters causing constant disruption and harping on about how they knew better. Protesters and members of parliament saying we were wrong and asking for Theresa May to outline her exit strategy and what she wants from Brexit are also asking her to cut off her right arm and give up all negotiating powers. How can you negotiate when those on the other side of the table know what you want and what you're willing to give up?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's wrong to paint people on either side with the same brush some understood all this some got caught up in the media frenzy on both sides.

My biggest issue with the whole thing is I don't think the leave campaign ever thought they'd actually win and remain never thought they'd lose so the government were totally unprepared for the result and the current government being on the remain side was stuffed as they couldn't deliver what we voted for.

It's best this legal stuff is dealt with now rather than after the fact imagine if we go through the article 50 then it was challenged in the courts and they decide the PM who signed it didn't have authority regardless of the referendum result? We have a government and they are bound by laws so it's good practise to make sure it's all done correctly before we begin the exit process as imagine the mess we'd be in if we had to do all this in the middle of the exit period.

I don't really see what choice the government has surely it's simple we're leaving the European Union full stop. How that works we don't really know as no one has actually left yet once we've left we'll need to enter into a new trade agreement with the EU just like any nation outside the EU does now obviously if that agreement kicks in at the same time we leave perfect if it doesn't then I assume we'll be subject to the same rules any other nations outside the EU have in terms of tarrifs and all that guff.

We're either in or out we voted out this isn't a negotiation we're off all they need to agree is the terms of seperation which is probably how much do we keep having to pay them every year and for how long basically we'll be paying a penalty for leaving the EU it isn't a negotiation at all as it's not like the other side will be negotiating for us to stay.