Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Walcott Pens New Deal
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:34 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has played down fears that Theo Walcott is set for another spell on the sidelines but the striker could yet draw on his latest injury blow for inspiration, after he signed a lucrative deal to become a children's author.

The 20-year-old was stretchered off during Arsenal's 1-0 Champions League defeat to Olympiakos on Wednesday night with a damaged foot after a clash with match-winner Leonardo.

And while the Frenchman insists the England international, whose season so far has been blighted with injuries, should be 'OK' it could be a tale that will transpire in one of his latest stories.

New chapter: Theo Walcott is set to release a series of children's books in 2010

Walcott has put pen to paper on an undisclosed deal with publishing giant Random House to write a collection of children's tales, based on the star himself!

The winger revealed he has already drafted two tales both about the adventures of a 'fictional' hero schoolboy called TJ, who coincidentally shares the same nickname Walcott acquired in the playground and also happens to be a football wonderkid.

'I'm really excited to be working on this series,' said Walcott.

'Many of my experiences as a young footballer will be relived by TJ in the stories.'

The youngest-ever England international is hoping that his fun-filled adventures, which are scheduled to hit the bookshelves next April, will appeal to both boys and girls who will be encouraged to read more books.

Book worm: The Arsenal ace is hoping to inspire more children to take up reading

He added: 'Books played an important part in our family life as I was growing up.'

The stories, which follow TJ as he arrives at Parkview School and falls in love with the beautiful game, were pitched to a literary agent by Walcott's management, according to Patty(TINH).

Philippa Dickinson, chairwoman of Random House children's books, said: 'Theo is incredibly talented. We are thrilled.'

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Walcott Pens New Deal
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
The world of literature was reeling last night with the news that Theo Walcott is to write a series of children's books based upon his own experiences as a football prodigy. AGR is proud to present an exclusively not real first extract...

Once upon a time in a land far, far away called Southampton there was a boy by the name of Leo Balcott who was the best footballer anyone had ever seen. The King of Southampton was King Rupert and one day a stranger from a magical land came to see King Rupert and said to him:

"Zees young Leo that you 'ave," said the mysterious and professorial stranger. "King Rupert, I will give you 12 million pieces of gold if you will let Leo come to live at my castle in north London.

"There I can teach him many things including passing the ball, not running around like an 'eadless chicken and even eating magical and exotic foodstuffs like pasta to make him better at the football."

King Rupert thought to himself and said: "Crikey, 12 million pieces of gold. Why, I could buy an enormous amount of polo ponies and champagne with that. Alright then Monsieur, vous avez vous un deal."

King Rupert summoned young Leo into his chamber and told him that he was to go and live with the boggly-eyed French wizard in his north London stronghold (no loud talking on Saturdays).

"But King Rupert," said Leo. "I am well happy here in Southampton learning to do my football. And I am not sure if I would like pasta if I did try it. Here, bent-faced legend Sir Le Tis teaches me how to do being the only good player in the team and afterwards he makes me a cheese sandwich and tells me all about his adventures with the Fair Princess Marilyn from Down Under that has the machine gun jubblies, whatever they are.

"Nonsense, Young Leo," said King Rupert. "This is a brilliant opportunity for me. I mean 'for you'. You shall go to north London with the stern but kindly Gallic sorcerer here."

"But King Rupert," cried Leo. "What about my beloved Melanie who has been my one true love for all my childhood years and lives here in Southampton and is even now working hard on her A-Levels?"

"Don't worry, son," said King Rupert. "The money you'll be on, you'll find any number of birds with their A-Levels up in London, if you know what I mean."

"No sir, I don't," said Leo.

"Never mind about that," said the kindly tactical genius from the capital. "Wouldn't you like to come and live in my castle with lots of other small boys your own age and learn to do exquisite passing and make pretty football all day long in front of a hushed crowd of admirers?"

"I would, sir," said Leo. "I would like that very much."

"Well come on then, young Leo," said the mysterious sorcerer. "Oh, there's just one thing: you'll have to stop kicking the ball in the goal in that vulgar manner."

"Sir?" said Leo.

"We do not encourage kicking the ball in the goal," said the French wizard. "It detracts from the beauty of our magical movement and poetry as we waltz around the greensward."

"Sir, yes sir," said Leo.

"Oh and Leo," said the magician. "You'll have to lose some weight. You can't possibly expect to play the football galumphing around at 5 foot 2 and seven and a half stone."

Leo put down his cheese sandwich and followed the wizard outside. Had he made the right decision?

To be continued (possibly)

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:55 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
:lol: Very good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:56 pm 
Major
Major

Highscores: 10
My 6-year-old son is currently reading these books - called "TJ and The hat-trick" and "TJ and the penalty". Got them out of our local library.

I know they're for kids, but they're truly awful. Sound like they've been written by a 13 year old as a school essay. Which I suppose isn't far from who actually wrote them! :lol: