Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hamann takes over as Stockport County boss and then leaves
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Dietmar Hamann has taken over as the new manager of Stockport County.

The ex-Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester City and Germany midfielder replaces Ray Mathias, who is considering whether to remain at the club.

The appointment of Hamann, 37, on a one-year deal comes following the takeover of the club by a Liverpool-based consortium, headed by Tony Evans.

Hamann spent last season working on the coaching staff at Leicester City under Sven Goran Eriksson.

"I have been working in a coaching capacity for the last year," Hamann told BBC Radio Manchester. "And I have spent a lot of time with Sven over the last three months.

"I spoke to Sven about it and he'd like to have kept me for another season.

"But the time is right to make a fresh start at a club with a good fanbase and I see it as a great opportunity.

"Being in the Conference is not where we want to be but the target is to bring the club back to the Football League.

"I first heard about the interest last week, thought about it over the weekend.

"It's new territory but it's what I always wanted to do."

Evans, who has the option of talking a majority share in the club, heads a new consortium of business people set to invest at Edgeley Park.

"Let's see if we can make a difference at Stockport County," said Evans.

"Perople have asked 'why Stockport County?' Well, for starters, it's the club closest to the River Mersey," he pointed out with a smile.

"But, being serious, they shouldn't be where they are and we think that's down to a lack of leadership.

"We think we can rectify that and bring them back to where they should be, League One pushing on the Championship.

"And Didi Hamann is respected by everyone in the game. When he speaks, you listen. Nobody's got a bad word for him and I think he's going to make a difference."

Hamann, who enjoyed the pinnacle of his career with Liverpool in Istanbul in 2005 when he came on as a half-time substitute to help turn round a 3-0 deficit and win the Champions League final, will start his managerial career in the Conference.

That follows Stockport's relegation in May - to end a 105-year tenure in the Football League.

Hamann's first competitive match in charge will be at Forest Green Rovers on 13 August.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Hamann takes over as Stockport County boss
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Former Liverpool and Manchester City midfielder Dietmar Hamann has resigned as manager of Blue Square Premier outfit Stockport.

Hamann, capped 59 times by Germany during his playing career, undertook his first management assignment at Edgeley Park this summer following County's relegation from the Football League.

His appointment to replace Ray Mathias coincided with the promise of new investment in the club from Liverpool-based businessman Tony Evans.

All over: Dietmar Hamann has quit as manager of Stockport County

However, a deal failed to materialise and after three league wins in 19 attempts, Hamman cited the collapse of Evans' takeover bid as a key factor in ending his four months in charge.

In a statement on Stockport's official website, Hamman said: 'Following a meeting this morning between (chairman) Lord Snape and myself, I have tendered my resignation as manager of Stockport County.

'Having been introduced to the club by Tony Evans, I presumed that the takeover by him and his consortium would have taken place.

'Various promises were made to me at the time of my appointment which subsequently did not take place. I feel therefore unable to continue in the post.'

Hamann confirmed that Stockport's breakdown in negotiations with Evans' consortium was the reason for his departure.

Red alert: Hamann is keen to make a return to football

'As I understood at the time the two parties were pretty close to agreeing a deal and that was the reason for me to come to Stockport in the first place,' he said.

'The plans didn't materialise because the takeover didn't go through. There was still a chance in the last few weeks but Tony Evans pulling out of the deal has made my position untenable.

'As it happened the plans we had or the promises which were made didn't materialise and for that reason I didn't see myself in a position to carry on as wanted.'

Nevertheless the 38-year-old is keen to make a quick return to management despite his difficult baptism with County, who currently sit two points above the Blue Square Bet Premier relegation zone.

'Some players come in and they go out and see it's not for them, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the last four months in my first managerial job," he added.

'I see now that it's made for me and I want to carry on doing it. It's unfortunate that I won't be carrying on there due to the circumstances, but I want to stay in football and I want to carry on managing.'

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Hamann takes over as Stockport County boss and then leaves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sale owner Brian Kennedy waives Stockport County rent

Sale Sharks owner Brian Kennedy has eased Stockport County's current financial problems by waiving their rent for the past six months.

County's Edgeley Park home is owned by Cheshire Sports, a Kennedy company.

In a statement County chairman Lord Peter Snape said: "Cheshire
Sports has suspended payment of all stadium occupancy costs for a number of months.

"This support is to the sum of £75,000 and will help alleviate the cash constraints being felt by the club."

Quote:

This assistance has been offered without pre-condition and makes a significant contribution to the welfare and success of the club

Lord Peter Snape
Stockport County chairman

Conference outfit Stockport and Premiership rugby union side Sale have been ground-sharing since 2003 when the two clubs merged. Kennedy later relinquished his invovlement with County.

The Hatters spent the whole of the 2010 season in administration as they were relegated from League One, but were taken over by the current 2015 consortium.

They suffered a second successive relegation last season, leaving the Football League for the first time in 106 years, and were subject of an attempted takeover in September by a Liverpool-based consortium lead by Tony Evans.

This collapsed in September with Evans leaving the club, which also later saw manager Dietmar Hamann depart and former boss Jim Gannon return.

Gannon has been forced to trim the squad because of financial restraints, and in an attempt to bring some stability the club were loaned £182,125 by Stockport Council.

"The board has been approached by Cheshire Sports and Brian Kennedy during the last month looking to explore what assistance they could offer to help Stockport County in the short and longer term," Snape added.

"These discussions are still ongoing and there are many topics under review. However, the club would like to make public its thanks and appreciation to Brian Kennedy for this generous offer of assistance.

"In placing its public thanks on record, the board would like to ensure that all the supporters of Stockport County appreciate this assistance has been offered without pre-condition and makes a significant contribution to the welfare and success of the club.

"We are also in discussions with Cheshire Sports and Brian Kennedy regarding further sponsorship arrangements."

ImageImage
Quote: