Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Saunders creates Wrexham history
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Miracle-working manager Dean Saunders insists creating a little Wrexham history made the 15-hour round-trip to Weymouth worthwhile.

Saunders' five-match winning league start to his Wrexham reign is the most successful start to a managerial stint in the club's 136-year history.

"It's history, is it?" asked the former Wales international after his team beat Weymouth 3-1 at the Wessex Stadium.

"Oh that's nice. Now we must keep it it going because we want to go back up."

Saunders, the former Liverpool and Aston Villa striker, only accepted the Wrexham job because he was desperate to help the North Wales club regain its Football League status.

The famous old club was relegated into non-league last season and sacked experienced boss Brian Little after a poor start to their Blue Square Premier campaign.

Wrexham made the bold move of giving former Newcastle United and Blackburn assistant Saunders his first managerial job - and it has reaped great rewards.

His 100 percent start in his five league games for Wrexham beats John Neal's previous all-time Racecourse record set back in 1968.

Nathan Woolfe, Jefferson Louis and Marc Williams scored at Weymouth to ensure almost instant immortality for Saunders at the Racecourse.

"It took us seven-and-a-half hours to get here," said Saunders, who is also Wales boss John Toshack's assistant.

"It was a bit of a nightmare trip down but the win and record will ensure we will have a laugh on the way home.

"The players deserve the credit because they're the ones that have won the games for this club.

"But we can't get too carried away.

"My goal here is to get Wrexham back in the Football League because that is where a club with this heritage and standing belongs. And I won't rest easy until we're back there."

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Saunders creates Wrexham history
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:25 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Nice work Deano! :fonz:

Quote:
Conscience says:
You did the right thing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:52 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Hope he's effective - However, the phrase " as useful as a chocolate fireguard" come to mind. I do feel for the smaller clubs - even Welsh ones ( :tap: Sorry , Sagey! - OUCH !)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:01 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

clearly Souness is masterminding the whole thing

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:07 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Willie Eckerslike wrote:
Hope he's effective - However, the phrase " as useful as a chocolate fireguard" come to mind. I do feel for the smaller clubs - even Welsh ones ( :tap: Sorry , Sagey! - OUCH !)

He's not doing too badly atm, Willie! Hope it continues and we get promoted back into the league then whoop Chester's bottom on a regular basis! :angel:

Quote:
Conscience says:
You did the right thing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:49 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

red_sagem wrote:
then whoop Chester's bottom on a regular basis! :angel:

How very Welsh!

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:54 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Highscores: 1
Win the game in hand and they're in the play-off places it seems...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:36 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Resurrection Joe wrote:
red_sagem wrote:
then whoop Chester's bottom on a regular basis! :angel:

How very Welsh!

:winkkiss:

Like you hate it when Chester beat Wrexham? :p

Quote:
Conscience says:
You did the right thing

Post subject: Wrexham set to boost strike force
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wrexham are poised to strengthen their striking options for the new Blue Square Premier season with two players.

Ex-Leeds United frontman Lamine Sakho, 31, has agreed a one-year deal and the Senegal international is expected to sign on his return from France.

Also expected to sign up for 12 months is Oldham Athletic striker Matty Wolfenden who has impressed on trial.

The 22-year-old's Latics contract ends next month and he is expected to commit to the Dragons after that.

Wrexham manager Dean Saunders is delighted at the prospect of both players joining him at the Racecourse Ground.

"If both do come off, then the pair will help us tremendously this season," Saunders told the Wrexham website.

"Matty showed on Tuesday [in the 1-1 draw with Preston] what he is capable of and after being with us then I'm sure we will see even more from him."

Wolfenden was again involved in Friday night's 3-2 loss away to Unibond League South side Carlton Town.

Saunders used the latest pre-season friendly to run the rule over a number of trialists, with recent recruit Adrian Cieslewicz scoring both Wrexham's goals.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Wrexham set to boost strike force
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Keeping my fingers crossed for a good season at the Wrexham! :pray:

Quote:
Conscience says:
You did the right thing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:29 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

red_sagem wrote:

More chance of Nelson getting his eye back ! :laugh:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:46 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Willie Eckerslike wrote:
red_sagem wrote:

More chance of Nelson getting his eye back ! :laugh:

:hmm:

Need them back in Div 2, have a nephew's future to think of! :tap:

Quote:
Conscience says:
You did the right thing

Post subject: Saunders extends Wrexham contract
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:51 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wrexham manager Dean Saunders has signed a new one-year rolling deal at the Racecourse.

"The more I'm at the club the more I like it," said Saunders after Wednesday's 1-3 friendly defeat to Wolves at the Racecourse.

"I've come to get us back into the Football League and you will see there has been a massive turnaround, both on and off the pitch."

Saunders took charge last October after the departure of Brian Little.

He got the Dragons into promotion contention, before their challenge tailed off at the end of the season as they finished 10th in the Blue Square Premier.

Wrexham chairman Geoff Moss was delighted to secure Saunders' services.

"No one has more enthusiasm and works harder, he even cuts the grass - so we are delighted to have him here," he said.

"We all work really, really hard, which is very important.

"The manager and the board have a good relationship and I'd go further to say that it couldn't be better.

"He's turning the club around in a big way and I'm sure the fans will see more of that in the weeks and months ahead.

"It's a rolling contract, which is there for as long as he wants to stay.

"No doubt at some stage a Premiership club will come calling for him and we won't dream of standing in his way."

Saunders agreed that the close working relationship at the club is key to Wrexham's future.

"I've had advice of many managers over the years and basically they said it's not the club but the chairman that you work for," the former Wales striker told BBC Sport Wales.

"If you get a dodgy one then he can make you look a fool.

"It's a rolling contract, but I just want to get my head down and concentrate on getting results because I can always fall back on the grass cutting!"

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Saunders extends Wrexham contract
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:08 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Resurrection Joe wrote:

Wrexham manager Dean Saunders has signed a new one-year rolling deal at the Racecourse.

"The more I'm at the club the more I like it," said Saunders after Wednesday's 1-3 friendly defeat to Wolves at the Racecourse.

"I've come to get us back into the Football League and you will see there has been a massive turnaround, both on and off the pitch."

Saunders took charge last October after the departure of Brian Little.

He got the Dragons into promotion contention, before their challenge tailed off at the end of the season as they finished 10th in the Blue Square Premier.

Wrexham chairman Geoff Moss was delighted to secure Saunders' services.

"No one has more enthusiasm and works harder, he even cuts the grass - so we are delighted to have him here," he said.

"We all work really, really hard, which is very important.

"The manager and the board have a good relationship and I'd go further to say that it couldn't be better.

"He's turning the club around in a big way and I'm sure the fans will see more of that in the weeks and months ahead.

"It's a rolling contract, which is there for as long as he wants to stay.

"No doubt at some stage a Premiership club will come calling for him and we won't dream of standing in his way."

Saunders agreed that the close working relationship at the club is key to Wrexham's future.

"I've had advice of many managers over the years and basically they said it's not the club but the chairman that you work for," the former Wales striker told BBC Sport Wales.

"If you get a dodgy one then he can make you look a fool.

"It's a rolling contract, but I just want to get my head down and concentrate on getting results because I can always fall back on the grass cutting!"

:fonz: Nice one Deano!!

Quote:
Conscience says:
You did the right thing

Post subject: Saunders wants Tugay
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Wrexham boss Dean Saunders is trying to talk veteran Turkish star Tugay out of retirement to play for the Conference side.

Saunders worked with the midfield maestro at Blackburn after Graeme Souness brought him to England - and now he would like him to turn out as a player again.

Tugay is studying for his coaching badges and working at Manchester City, but he would be free to re-register if he wanted to.

The much-travelled star was still appearing in the Premier League until the end of last season and his class would be a massive asset for Wrexham in their promotion push.

Post subject: Re: Saunders wants Tugay
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

go the wholehog..... get Rushie onboard

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Crusaders to play at Racecourse
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

John Dixon insists Celtic Crusaders playing Super League matches in Wrexham is vital for rugby league's development in Wales.

The Crusaders' blueprint is to develop league interest in the whole of Wales so the side will play at least one match at the Racecourse next season.

"It is a positive step to promote rugby league in Wales, said head coach Dixon.

The Crusaders have been in Bridgend since their inception but they will move to Newport from next campaign.

The Welsh club's game in North Wales will be nearer rugby league's traditional heartlands of the north of England and could be a huge cash generator.

The Crusaders, who are coming to the end of the first year of their three-year Super League franchise, say Wrexham's Racecourse ground could host as many as three fixtures in 2009/10.

The move follows last month's news that the Crusaders will be based at Rodney Parade, Newport, next season, where they will play 10 Super League games.

Crusaders chief Leighton Samuel is also considering playing Super League fixtures at Llanelli's Parc y Scarlets as rugby league bid to establish themselves in traditionally rugby union territory.

Quote:
The Racecourse, Wrexham and north Wales have been sadly starved of professional rugby for many years
Wrexham statement

"It is very important to take the games around Wales," said Dixon.

"This is a nation with a proud rugby heritage and we're proud of our version of the game.

"So our process of taking league games around Wales to promote our sport is a really positive step in the right direction and a real opportunity for rugby league and rugby union to sit by a side.

"And our development plan is not just to satisfy the south of Wales but the whole of Wales."

Bridgend's Brewery Field was deemed below standard by the Rugby Football League.

The switch to Rodney Parade - the stadium of rugby union region the Dragons and Welsh Premiership side Newport RFC - will be for two years.

The Crusaders' long-term ambition is to return to a purpose-built stadium in Bridgend.

The Welsh side were one of five Super League clubs who were warned by the RFL that their ground was not up to standard, meaning their place in the league could be in doubt.

Crusaders lie bottom of the table with three wins from their 25 Super League matches.

They will have just one more game at the Brewery Field, when they host Huddersfield Giants on Saturday, 5 September.

"We are delighted to be playing a game in Wrexham in 2010," said Crusaders' chief executive Mike Turner.

"Their chief executive Paul Retout and everyone involved at Wrexham FC have been very helpful and very welcoming and I'm certain we're going to get a large crowd.

"We've always said that we were a team for the whole of Wales.

"Taking the Crusaders into north Wales gives us the opportunity to take Super League to a brand new set of fans and I'm sure that there will also be a very large away following with Wrexham being a stone's throw from the traditional rugby league heartlands."

Wrexham last staged a major rugby league match in 2001 when Wales and England fought out a 14-try thriller that the English scraped 42-33.

It was played in front of a 6,373 crowd and if that is bettered then it would be a club record for the Crusaders.

"This is a major coup for the Racecourse, Wrexham and north Wales that has been sadly starved of professional rugby for many years," said a Wrexham statement.

"We are blessed in north Wales with a fantastic stadium that in recent years has only been used to host football matches.

"The deal with Celtic Crusaders is part of a strategy to diversify the use of the stadium.

"The deal signed with Celtic Crusaders is a very lucrative one for Wrexham FC who will also benefit from selling rugby merchandise in the club shop."

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Saunders wants Tugay
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Resurrection Joe wrote:
go the wholehog..... get Rushie onboard

:tap:

Quote:
Conscience says:
You did the right thing

Post subject: Pogba To Play For Wrexham
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wrexham are giving a trial to striker Mathias Pogba, who has trained with the Blue Square Bet Premier club for the last two weeks.

The Reds say Pogba is a free agent after contacting his last club, Quimper, to check his availability. Pogba, 20, is the brother of Manchester United's Paul, who moved to Old Trafford from Le Havre in 2008.

The striker played in Wednesday's 2-1 Reds' reserves team win over Morecambe and may play a second game for them.

:jester: :icecream:

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Pogba To Play For Wrexham
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:56 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
:rant:

I got sold a dummy.