AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower


It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:20 pm 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:58 am
Posts: 5071
Location: In a Galaxy far, far away!
I think what people SHOULD remember is that Rebecca Adlington is an athlete not a top flamin model, she's been thrown into the public arena because she's good at what does and won 2 Gold medals for her country (of which, I'd imagine she's extremely proud!!) And how does she get repaid for this? Some pr**k decides that cos she doesn't look like Rachel Hunter and that she's got a good looking boyfriend, she must be "dirty" or have other talents in the bedroom department!!

Plus, these planks should remember that she's a daughter and a sister and her family shouldn't have to listen to crap like that!

:wall:

Reedo wrote:
Soft bitch.


Only cos she turned you down!! :p

_________________
Sagey now has two Little Soldiers, do you know who you are?!

Quote:
Conscience says:
You did the right thing


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:39 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
I think the distinction should be made that...some people choose to enter the 'entertainment arena' e.g. Kerry Katona and by going on I'm A Celebrity etc. you prostrate yourself at the feet of popularity & public opinion... you place yourself before a judgemental public and say...what do you think? Am I funny/sexy/tuneful etc? Your appeal is effectively a popularity vote and all aspects are considered. Furthermore (as she was raised) Kerry Katona has behaved despicably, morally inappropriately and consequently her media reaction reflects this. She is not a positive role model nor someone to be encouraged.

Rebecca Adlington on the other hand, entered a sporting arena, not seeking public approval, glamorous magazine covers etc. She entered a sport, where referees and judges are her sole arbitors... as a consequence in my opinion, should not be subjected to a cosmetic examination.... similarly to any member of the public....

....can you imagine the outcry, if there was a TV show which filmed innocent members of the public at work and 'ripped the p!ss' out of them/humiliated them in front of 10 million people..... it's your ultimate playground humiliation nightmare.... brought about because you represented your country in Beijing, broke the world record and came home with 2 gold medals.... that's hardly a positive motivation, it's not like she flopped her tits out on the cover of NotW, puked on Dean Gaffney then got filmed jamming cocaine up her nose

....not appropriate or fair game in my book!!!

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:49 pm 
Offline
Sergeant
Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:54 pm
Posts: 453
Highscores: 3
Resurrection Joe wrote:

....can you imagine the outcry, if there was a TV show which filmed innocent members of the public at work and 'ripped the p!ss' out of them/humiliated them in front of 10 million people


um...Candid Camera type shows?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:51 pm 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:56 am
Posts: 7998
Location: 52 Festive Road
Highscores: 6
I prefer her to Rachel Hunter to be honest.

Who ever raised the Katona point (con I think) that stupid woman does nothing but use the press to promote herself so she is fair game as far as I am concerned. This woman won two olympic golds in the pool, a feat that hasn't been done by GB for a long while she did not bring this on herself. Not only that, making a joke about her swimming might be funny, making a joke about the way she looks is not, it's pathetic. Why not just go on TV and thake the pIss out out of anyone who looks different than you and lets be honest, Frankie Boyle should look in the mirror before he takes the pee out of how anyone looks.

As a father of two young kids, Maddie jokes are complete no no for me, but each to their own.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:56 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:12 am
Posts: 19588
Highscores: 1
Resurrection Joe wrote:

Rebecca Adlington on the other hand, entered a sporting arena, not seeking public approval, glamorous magazine covers etc. She entered a sport, where referees and judges are her sole arbitors... as a consequence in my opinion, should not be subjected to a cosmetic examination.... similarly to any member of the public....


When she returned from Beijing used her profile so she could raise more money through tv and magazine appearances allowing it also to affect her personal performances as she hadn't spent has much time in the pool as she was prior to going to the Olympics.

_________________
Because I'm young enough to be all pi**ed off
But I'm old enough to be jaded
I'm at the age where I want things to change
But with age my hopes have faded


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:02 pm 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:56 am
Posts: 7998
Location: 52 Festive Road
Highscores: 6
idontfeardeath wrote:
Resurrection Joe wrote:

Rebecca Adlington on the other hand, entered a sporting arena, not seeking public approval, glamorous magazine covers etc. She entered a sport, where referees and judges are her sole arbitors... as a consequence in my opinion, should not be subjected to a cosmetic examination.... similarly to any member of the public....


When she returned from Beijing used her profile so she could raise more money through tv and magazine appearances allowing it also to affect her personal performances as she hadn't spent has much time in the pool as she was prior to going to the Olympics.


She has worked very hard for may years for no money in often poor conditions. The GB team was so under funded that the only olymic pool in the country they could train in had sewage leaking into it!
I think it's ok for her to do do some photo shoots, tv appearances and advertising to earn a bit of crust.
To be honest, apart from the odd sport show I have not seen her on TV. She has a talent and has used that to get a bit of money to carry on training and hopfully win more golds for GB.

KT has no talent and falls out of clubs drunk and gets filmed taking drugs, there is difference there for me.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:06 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:12 am
Posts: 19588
Highscores: 1
I believe most the forum slated whichever paper it was who encouraged people to complain about Ross and Brand.

It's a tv program he overstepped the mark a little bit but stand up comedians make sick jokes about racism sexism and peadophilia all the time surely the name gives a little clue to what it's going to be like? I'm sure he will not be too bothered by the publicity he has received from it.

_________________
Because I'm young enough to be all pi**ed off
But I'm old enough to be jaded
I'm at the age where I want things to change
But with age my hopes have faded


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:06 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
idontfeardeath wrote:
Resurrection Joe wrote:

Rebecca Adlington on the other hand, entered a sporting arena, not seeking public approval, glamorous magazine covers etc. She entered a sport, where referees and judges are her sole arbitors... as a consequence in my opinion, should not be subjected to a cosmetic examination.... similarly to any member of the public....


When she returned from Beijing used her profile so she could raise more money through tv and magazine appearances allowing it also to affect her personal performances as she hadn't spent has much time in the pool as she was prior to going to the Olympics.


she used her British Gas advertising revenue to fund her training...as their training budgets have been slashed.... let's be honest, we're talking about people probably making below the average wage....we're not talking about £250k a year to host a TV programme or £1m Hello magazine deal.... we're talking about people who barely scrape by....occasional appearance money on Question Of Sport or opening aleisure centre isn't whoring yourself on The One Show, Celebrity Can't Cook Won't Cook.... or squeezing yourself into a metallic leotard and hurling yourself through a hole in the wall.... with Vanessa Feltz riding your ass like an inflatable monkey

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:08 pm 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:56 am
Posts: 7998
Location: 52 Festive Road
Highscores: 6
idontfeardeath wrote:
I believe most the forum slated whichever paper it was who encouraged people to complain about Ross and Brand.

It's a tv program he overstepped the mark a little bit but stand up comedians make sick jokes about racism sexism and peadophilia all the time surely the name gives a little clue to what it's going to be like? I'm sure he will not be too bothered by the publicity he has received from it.



Isn't that all some have been saying. So actually you agree then.

I don't think anyone is asking for him to be executed, just it was unfunny and not really called for.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:12 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
idontfeardeath wrote:
I believe most the forum slated whichever paper it was who encouraged people to complain about Ross and Brand.

It's a tv program he overstepped the mark a little bit but stand up comedians make sick jokes about racism sexism and peadophilia all the time surely the name gives a little clue to what it's going to be like? I'm sure he will not be too bothered by the publicity he has received from it.


did they change the name to Mock The Athlete..... by having a name which could be interpreted as licence to do it.... doesn't make it right :rolleyes:

<imagines the debate if the programme was called 'Mock The Minority' or 'She Doesn't Need To Say Yes'>

A formal apology and and explanation as to why the BBC understood it to be inappropriate would do.... you simply can't go in front of 10m people and bully people in that way.... the observation was comical and would have been humorous (imo) if it hadn't been at the expense of a perfectly innocent, British heroine who did nothing to warrant it....other than promote Britain positively

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:42 pm 
Offline
General
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 17205
Location: Over there.
Highscores: 2
Mr Carrot wrote:
I prefer her to Rachel Hunter to be honest.

Who ever raised the Katona point (con I think) that stupid woman does nothing but use the press to promote herself so she is fair game as far as I am concerned. This woman won two olympic golds in the pool, a feat that hasn't been done by GB for a long while she did not bring this on herself. Not only that, making a joke about her swimming might be funny, making a joke about the way she looks is not, it's pathetic. Why not just go on TV and thake the pIss out out of anyone who looks different than you and lets be honest, Frankie Boyle should look in the mirror before he takes the pee out of how anyone looks.

As a father of two young kids, Maddie jokes are complete no no for me, but each to their own.



Yes it was me. I wasn't comparing them as people, only that they've both apparently used the press to make themselves better known and or earn a few quid and both have been mocked by the show/Boyle. Once in the public eye, they're considered fair game I suppose, though clearly the swimmer doesn't behave like KK, at least that we know of. So now we're making moral judgements as to who is allowed to get slaughtered on the telly? Oh we don't approve of her being mocked, we like her, so it's outrageous... but we don't like the other guy much so yeah let them be ripped into and we'll all clap and laugh! The truth is that some humour is an acquired taste, and people have been using other's misfortune/poking fun for centuries to raise a smile. Of course, then as now, the decent people have never meant to cause substantial offence to the person involved.

And wasn't the holding her breath part related to swimming? And Frankie Boyle has taken the p1ss out of his own looks too, comparing himself to The Proclaimers and "the wee bear from Bo Selecta". She's was ten seconds worth of material, I don't anyone tried to purposefully upset her.

My point is neither of them should be mocked like that on TV, but what's ok for one has to be ok for the other, surely? Ok, KK was a bad example, but I'm sure there's many ordinary celebs been hammered on there without this much fuss or controversy. As for the joke itself, it was a bit harsh and in bad taste, so if she wants an apology she should get one, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the format of the programme.

As for her swimming, I'm seeing a divide here - those who think she's achieved something worthy and to be proud of, "a heroine" no less, therefore is somehow more worthy for it, and those that couldn't care less because they don't like athletics so don't see why she should be treated any differently to A.N. Other celebrity/public figure.

Also, Mock The Minority would clearly be discriminatory, however, mocking everyone regardless doesn't seem to be so? :p

Load of fuss about nothing really. She's doubled her profile and become known as Spoony the Swimmer. Well handled. :doh:

Maddie wasn't the only one - every celeb death, paedophile, kiddie disappearing joke imaginable is in our own Sick Jokes thread. I have kids, doesn't mean if I laugh I would wish it on anyone.

_________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Image
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:56 pm 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:56 am
Posts: 7998
Location: 52 Festive Road
Highscores: 6
Of course it doesn't make any difference whether you laugh or not at kind of stuff Con, I don't find it amusing that's all. However I'm sure there is stuff that I laugh at that many others would find offensive. It was just a bit too close to home for me that's all, Maddie being the same age as my eldest.

I still think that Kerry is fair game because of how she uses the media and how she behaves.

On the other hand the swimmer is doing something we should be proud of. I don't like Rugby but I was still pleased when we won the world cup etc etc. And if your saying that she is now in the public domain then surely that should be her swimming that is fair game not her looks. The reality is she didn't start swimming to be in the public eye, she started becasue she wanted to win an olympic gold, that is different from actors, comedians, mp's etc. There was absolutely no financial gain for her to do that sport or want for a public profile.

I do think that in a size 0 society and and a world where you are judged on what you look like this doesn't set a good example for young children who may have dreams of being an olympian. Suddenly not only do they have to be bloody good at their sport they have to look like a super model too.

I like the show by the way, just think F.B. can be a bit of a dick. Funniest man on that show is Dara


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:12 pm 
Offline
General
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 17205
Location: Over there.
Highscores: 2
Mr Carrot wrote:
Of course it doesn't make any difference whether you laugh or not at kind of stuff Con, I don't find it amusing that's all. However I'm sure there is stuff that I laugh at that many others would find offensive. It was just a bit too close to home for me that's all, Maddie being the same age as my eldest.

I still think that Kerry is fair game because of how she uses the media and how she behaves.

On the other hand the swimmer is doing something we should be proud of. I don't like Rugby but I was still pleased when we won the world cup etc etc. And if your saying that she is now in the public domain then surely that should be her swimming that is fair game not her looks. The reality is she didn't start swimming to be in the public eye, she started becasue she wanted to win an olympic gold, that is different from actors, comedians, mp's etc. There was absolutely no financial gain for her to do that sport or want for a public profile.

I do think that in a size 0 society and and a world where you are judged on what you look like this doesn't set a good example for young children who may have dreams of being an olympian. Suddenly not only do they have to be bloody good at their sport they have to look like a super model too.

I like the show by the way, just think F.B. can be a bit of a dick. Funniest man on that show is Dara


Fair enough. :)

Kerry was a very bad example as I said... there's surely been many ordinary people lambasted on there too? The only thing I know about the swimmers commercial TV endeavours are that someone on here posted that she'd been on the telly doing stuff for cash. Of course if she's absolutely tried to shun the celebrity lifestyle, then she shouldn't have to experience what happened. Judgement error at worst, or possibly thought nobody would care?

Should we really all be proud? Not to take anything away from her mate, I'm sure all the Olympics fans and all her swimming buddies think she's great, but it doesn't even register to many, myself included. I'd be proud if she were feeding the hungry, or saving lives, or helping the needy - couldn't care less if she can swim or not.

I perfer Dara too. And Frankie has very little material. As it happens, in the middle of watching a Dara stand up right now, if you're interested? Multipart Youtube job.


_________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Image
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:25 pm 
Offline
Sergeant
Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:54 pm
Posts: 453
Highscores: 3
I didn't realise she had done a TV advert - that changes it completely - she HAS put herself in the public eye in that case. You don't get to say "i don't want to be in the public eye and/or a celebrity" and then do a bloody TV advert.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:28 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
i still don't think that because the media have annointed her as 'celebrity' it opens the floodgates for hurtful personal assaults... similarly with someone like Stephen Hawking....

...whereas individuals who volunteer themselves for public scrutiny e.g. X Factor, Big Brother, Frankie Boyle, Jonathon Ross, Piers Morgan etc. fire away!!!

The Olympics/worthy argument.... i imagine that it is accepted that finishing so high in a global event is prestigious both domestically & internationally... it lends kudos & weight to the UK's global standing.....

Doing something of significant note only to be humiliated because you're not deemed beautiful... by some loudmouth gobsh!te, paid via public funds, seems wrong to me

If it were some comedy breakthrough... fair enough.... but it was reminiscent of playground taunting.. 'ha ha you ugly bitch'.. & just unjustifiably hurtful.... one step away from 'she's alive so i can attack her'.

Adlington seems like a nice girl & i'd still like to do her, wearing her medals :wub:

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:31 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
auto98 wrote:
I didn't realise she had done a TV advert - that changes it completely - she HAS put herself in the public eye in that case. You don't get to say "i don't want to be in the public eye and/or a celebrity" and then do a bloody TV advert.

a cartoon representation of her features in a British Gas ad, which iirc states British Gas supports Team GB..... hardly DFS Sofas is it?

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:51 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 11695
Highscores: 1
What a lot of fuss over a flippant remark... stand up comedians make jokes like this all the time, it's to be expected. It was the BBC's decision to broadcast it, but if he'd made the same joke in a live gig that wasn't televised then nothing would've come of it IMO.

At the end of the day it's a joke, just said to entertain an audience. It's not like he's launched an all out character assassination on the woman, he said she's got a big nose... and she has.

_________________
idontfeardeath wrote:
Spawny wrote:
But James and Pak both said they were voting JSP


:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:23 pm 
Offline
Colonel
Colonel

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:50 pm
Posts: 4492
Location: Peering through windows to endless pain!
Resurrection Joe wrote:
auto98 wrote:
I didn't realise she had done a TV advert - that changes it completely - she HAS put herself in the public eye in that case. You don't get to say "i don't want to be in the public eye and/or a celebrity" and then do a bloody TV advert.

a cartoon representation of her features in a British Gas ad, which iirc states British Gas supports Team GB..... hardly DFS Sofas is it?

This Cartoon Representation, did it have a big nose?

_________________
Image

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:37 pm 
Offline
Sergeant
Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:54 pm
Posts: 453
Highscores: 3
Resurrection Joe wrote:
a cartoon representation of her features in a British Gas ad, which iirc states British Gas supports Team GB..... hardly DFS Sofas is it?


Irrelevant. As soon as you use your public image to try and sell something, you are using your image, and must expect that image to be joked about by comedians.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:19 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
auto98 wrote:
Resurrection Joe wrote:
a cartoon representation of her features in a British Gas ad, which iirc states British Gas supports Team GB..... hardly DFS Sofas is it?


Irrelevant. As soon as you use your public image to try and sell something, you are using your image, and must expect that image to be joked about by comedians.

based on what?..... a secret law, or your own subjective moral framework? She appeared as a representative of Team GB, in return she received a fee, which inevitably will be used to cover her living expenses, but now we can go on national TV & rip the p!ss out of her & state the only way she or any other ugly person could get an attractive partner, is by being dirty?

So kids, if you feel ugly give up hope & NEVER strive to achieve anything..... cos it's fine for tw@ts to verbally assault you on the BBC, even if it would be deemed wrong in the street/school/workplace



Bernard Manning wasn't racist, he just picked on black curly hair?

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron