AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower


It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:42 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:12 am
Posts: 19588
Highscores: 1
How many times do we hear Rooney called Shrek?

_________________
Because I'm young enough to be all pi**ed off
But I'm old enough to be jaded
I'm at the age where I want things to change
But with age my hopes have faded


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:55 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
idontfeardeath wrote:
How many times do we hear Rooney called Shrek?

i don't get the point..... the frequency of the insult somehow equates to a level of acceptability.... say it enough & it's ok?

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:57 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:12 am
Posts: 19588
Highscores: 1
No, when someone (as often happens) calls Rooney Shrek we don't have this huge hurrah. People in the public eye get ridiculed no underlying message to young ugly kids.

Or is it okay to mock a male footballer but not a female swimmer?

_________________
Because I'm young enough to be all pi**ed off
But I'm old enough to be jaded
I'm at the age where I want things to change
But with age my hopes have faded


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:05 pm 
Offline
General
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 17205
Location: Over there.
Highscores: 2
idontfeardeath wrote:
How many times do we hear Rooney called Shrek?



A lot.

I don't even think she's particularly ugly now I've watched that posted clip, don't see how it's like racism or picking on the disabled. A bad taste joke, they didn't pick their target well enough, and it's dealt with. But you'd think that's not what the show was about with the outcry.

The only debate seems to be did she put herself in the public domain, with both a) a public job, where it can often come unavoidably with the territory, and b) does doing TV/adverts that trade off/build up her name in the public consciousness therefore place her in the public arena where a topical show might reasonably make mention of it?

And if they can do it to others, what makes her special? Either ban it for the masses, or allow it for all on the understanding it's an adult comedy show that may offend.

_________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Image
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:13 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
idontfeardeath wrote:
No, when someone (as often happens) calls Rooney Shrek we don't have this huge hurrah. People in the public eye get ridiculed no underlying message to young ugly kids.

Or is it okay to mock a male footballer but not a female swimmer?

the fact that people don't spring to Rooney's defence.... gives a green light for a free for all?

I don't think it's right that people get paid, to go on national TV & look to humiliate 'innocent' individuals on the grounds of their race, creed, gender, perceived looks, perceived intelligence or any physical/mental shortcoming..... I do however consider it ok to judge their behaviour, professional attitude, professional performance or tits

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:25 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
conscience wrote:
And if they can do it to others, what makes her special? Either ban it for the masses, or allow it for all on the understanding it's an adult comedy show that may offend.

i think it's totally understandable given the nature of the show/comedian....

....all i am saying is, (imo) the BBC & Frankie Boyle could have said 'in a spontaneous monologue Mr Boyle made some hurtful comments, which upon reflection, were inappropriate, inaccurate, unscripted & ill-advised, they would like to unreservedly apologise to Ms Adlington & her family, she can be assured it will not be repeated, Mr Boyle is aware his remarks were offensive & has volunteered to donate his fee for the show to a charity of Ms Adlington's choosing, which the BBC will gladly double.'

there you go .....fixed it :applause: :cheers:

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:27 pm 
Offline
General
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 17205
Location: Over there.
Highscores: 2
I assumed an apology would have been given by now, has it not been? They're only words.

_________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Image
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:34 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
conscience wrote:
I assumed an apology would have been given by now, has it not been? They're only words.

i am not aware of any apology despite
Quote:
The trust's Editorial Standards Committee also concluded that double gold medallist Adlington had not courted publicity or celebrity status, making the personal remarks unjustified.

....they found themselves guilty

....and for those who said 'she deserves it'... The trust's Editorial Standards Committee says you're wrong

they've been 'rapped', told it's not right/fair but no-one's said sorry

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:43 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:12 am
Posts: 19588
Highscores: 1
Maybe we should remove the pit in case we offend someone who is browsing the internet.

It's entertainment had it not been for all this hurrah im sure a lot less people would of noted what was said than now have done. I like the show and im sure more people like the show it's a shame it's got such negative publicity because of a small joke like this.

_________________
Because I'm young enough to be all pi**ed off
But I'm old enough to be jaded
I'm at the age where I want things to change
But with age my hopes have faded


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:53 pm 
Offline
General
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 17205
Location: Over there.
Highscores: 2
Wouldn't hurt to say sorry if she was that bothered, unless it'd open the door for a legal claim? There are plenty of other celebrities that like the publicity good or bad so long as they're talked about, to pick on instead. Still don't see how it's different to mocking many others, Prince Charles has been getting it for years without complaining or crying about it.

End of the day, so she may have been 'offended', but I don't think that being offended is the end of the world when in the public domain - which she undoubtedly is, if only because it comes hand-in-hand with the territory as modern day, successful athlete.

If only that was the worst of my problems :lol:

_________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Image
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:01 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:12 am
Posts: 19588
Highscores: 1
Just be glad con that you've got the ability to laugh at yourself.

_________________
Because I'm young enough to be all pi**ed off
But I'm old enough to be jaded
I'm at the age where I want things to change
But with age my hopes have faded


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:43 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
idontfeardeath wrote:
Maybe we should remove the pit in case we offend someone who is browsing the internet.

It's entertainment had it not been for all this hurrah im sure a lot less people would of noted what was said than now have done. I like the show and im sure more people like the show it's a shame it's got such negative publicity because of a small joke like this.

The Pit doesn't have a Public Charter, a broadcasting licence, state funding, a social responsibility or an Editorial Standards Commission admitting culpability.... the fact that you like the show is irrelevant, the Commission accepts they 'overstepped' their remit... but no-one has 'the stones' to do anything about it.

Arguing there was nothing wrong, contradicts the Commission & broadcasters themselves....

all i am saying is.... IF you get it wrong apologise.... arguing it wasn't wrong is irrelevant as it has already been deemed 'unjustifiably offensive'

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:50 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:12 am
Posts: 19588
Highscores: 1
And they're always correct aren't they official people. Never a mistake made by an official organisation. :lol:

_________________
Because I'm young enough to be all pi**ed off
But I'm old enough to be jaded
I'm at the age where I want things to change
But with age my hopes have faded


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:40 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
idontfeardeath wrote:
And they're always correct aren't they official people. Never a mistake made by an official organisation. :lol:

anarchist :hmm:

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:49 pm 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:21 am
Posts: 7633
Could always just stop Frankie Boyle going on TV, given that he's an ars*hole.

_________________
JSP wrote:
No longer do you have to settle for a fatty-boom-batty at the end of the night you can get yourself a reasonable looking sl*g.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:13 am 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:12 am
Posts: 19588
Highscores: 1
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 824&v=wall

_________________
Because I'm young enough to be all pi**ed off
But I'm old enough to be jaded
I'm at the age where I want things to change
But with age my hopes have faded


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:20 am 
Offline
Sergeant
Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:54 pm
Posts: 453
Highscores: 3
Resurrection Joe wrote:
auto98 wrote:
Resurrection Joe wrote:
a cartoon representation of her features in a British Gas ad, which iirc states British Gas supports Team GB..... hardly DFS Sofas is it?


Irrelevant. As soon as you use your public image to try and sell something, you are using your image, and must expect that image to be joked about by comedians.

based on what?..... a secret law, or your own subjective moral framework? She appeared as a representative of Team GB, in return she received a fee, which inevitably will be used to cover her living expenses, but now we can go on national TV & rip the p!ss out of her & state the only way she or any other ugly person could get an attractive partner, is by being dirty?

So kids, if you feel ugly give up hope & NEVER strive to achieve anything..... cos it's fine for tw@ts to verbally assault you on the BBC, even if it would be deemed wrong in the street/school/workplace



Bernard Manning wasn't racist, he just picked on black curly hair?


I think you are deliberately missing the point.

If you do something that specifically uses your image in return for money, you are putting that image in the public arena, and just like anything in the public arena, comedians should be Ok to make jokes about it.

Bernard Manning of course attacked people because of the colour of their skin, it is irrelevant WHO he was talking about for his jokes to "work". And neither is the "never strive to achieve anything" - it isn't the fact that she achieved something that allows her to be joked about, it is the fact that she used her image to get the public to spend money.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:25 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
auto98 wrote:
I think you are deliberately missing the point.

If you do something that specifically uses your image in return for money, you are putting that image in the public arena, and just like anything in the public arena, comedians should be Ok to make jokes about it.


I think you're deliberately overlooking the point by stating your 'rule' as though it were a fact

Quote:
The trust's Editorial Standards Committee also concluded that double gold medallist Adlington had not courted publicity or celebrity status, making the personal remarks unjustified.


perhaps you could contact them and inform them they're wrong due to 'The Auto98 Rule'

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:15 pm 
Offline
General
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 17205
Location: Over there.
Highscores: 2
Can we have a Con Rule as well? :cool:

There seems to be this aura around her for being a medal winner, I've seen it before with athletes and some of the general public, where certain people hold them with some kind of almighty awe and reverence.

To the rest of us, she's some woman without a sense of humour, with a big nose, who we're told can swim and does TV adverts.

I think, given the fact she's been doing adverts, she's fair game for topical television, but while I believe that's the case, perhaps not quite to the level Boyle subjected her to? Was that was a cut above (below?) the usual mocking most comics will dish out, and perhaps should have been reserved for the ones who did seek fame 24/7?

I personally don't think it was too bad - has a big nose so perhaps her breath holding swimming skills are the reason her man is good looking. Boom Tschh. Calling her dirty wasn't very nice, admittedly, but part of the joke too. I do accept with hindsight, that he picked the wrong target. But he doesn't select who's in the news tbf, he's got to go with who is.

She's a young Olympic champion with a lot going for her, it's not like she needs the approval of a shock comic like Boyle to be happy, or should pay that much attention to him. There's much on TV would offend many people, nobody makes you watch it.

And wouldn't an admission by the BBC leave them open to being sued for compensation?

_________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Image
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:27 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
They don't need to admit it... the complaint is already upheld, the BBC Editorial Standards Committee have accepted it was unjust/wrong/offensive.... there is no comeback, it admits itself it was wrong

....however, that is all, having admitted they stepped over the mark, no-one has apologised. It's not a case of 'special treatment', effectively they have said 'yep, we f**ked up, we said things we shouldn't & Ms Adlington's family shouldn't have had to hear, we were very rude...... see ya :bolt:'

...the point is being made, 'what use is that?'..... what is the point of the ESC, if no-one takes any notice.... they are required to maintain certain standards for their public charter and to retain their broadcasting licence.... they aren't free to just broadcast anything they like

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron