AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower


It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Frankie Boyle Keeps Upsetting People
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:12 pm 
Offline
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:44 pm
Posts: 1630
Location: Anglesey/Bangor, N. Wales
Highscores: 1
Comedian Frankie Boyle has quit as a panellist on satirical show Mock The Week "due to other television commitments", the BBC has announced.

A spokesman for the BBC Two programme, which has been commissioned for a further two series, said Boyle had been "a brilliant member of the team".

"The door is always open for him to come back," the spokesman added.

Dara O'Briain will continue to host the show which pitches two teams of comics against each other.

Boyle is leaving the show after seven series as a panellist.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:36 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 8003
Location: The Library
Highscores: 1
It's going to be a completely different show without Frankie. What a legend, he was pretty much why I watched MOTW so regularly.

I wouldn't mind David Mitchell replacing him.

_________________
Do nothing; nothing will change.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:03 pm 
Offline
General
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 17205
Location: Over there.
Highscores: 2
Makes me wonder why he really left...

A scandal maybe, or just offered oodles of cash to bail on them and work on some other show?

_________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Image
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:08 pm 
Offline
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:38 pm
Posts: 1866
Location: High above the mucky-muck
Highscores: 4
Riquelminho wrote:
It's going to be a completely different show without Frankie. What a legend, he was pretty much why I watched MOTW so regularly.

I wouldn't mind David Mitchell replacing him.


I agree, strange really that both guys are like chalk and cheese but also hilarious in their own way.

Would love to see Frankie on question time :fonz: better have all these guys in parliment on a Thursday for Prime Ministers questions, I'd pay to see that.

_________________
Image
Prune Face - Here to fix the photocopier


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:27 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
Image

Satirical gameshow Mock The Week breached guidelines over comments aired about swimmer Rebecca Adlington, the BBC Trust has ruled.

Panellist Frankie Boyle's remarks about the Olympic champion were "humiliating" and "risked offending the audience".

The show, broadcast in August 2008 in the wake of the Beijing Olympics, prompted 75 complaints from viewers.

Its producer apologised in December, saying "the ribbing may have gone a tad too far on this occasion".

Final ruling

The trust's Editorial Standards Committee also concluded that double gold medallist Adlington had not courted publicity or celebrity status, making the personal remarks unjustified.

They added that the makers of Mock The Week, who allowed sexual innuendo and comments about Adlington's appearance to be included, failed to have an editorial reason for including them.

The committee's decision is a final ruling on a complaints process that has been in progress since last year.

Another complaint against Mock The Week, relating to a comment made about the Queen, was not upheld as a breach of editorial standards by the trust.

The panel show also features comics Hugh Denis and Dara O'Briain in the role of chairman.

The BBC recently announced that Boyle was stepping down from the show after seven series to concentrate on other commitments.

The Scottish comedian, known for his dour, cutting humour, was called "a brilliant member of the team" by a spokesman for the programme.

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:16 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
Image

A 'bad taste' joke made by comedian Frankie Boyle on Mock The Week about the Queen did not breach editorial guidelines, the BBC Trust found today.

The Trust's Editorial Standards Committee (ESC) found that, while the joke had sexist and ageist overtones, it did not fall foul of the rules.

A repeat of the show was broadcast in October last year - just after the Sachsgate scandal sparked by Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand erupted.

Boyle joked that you would not hear the Queen say during her Christmas broadcast: 'I'm now so old that my p**** is haunted.'

One viewer complained: 'It would have been objectionable at the best of times but coming as it did in the midst of the Ross and Brand controversy it was quite unforgivable.'

The committee found that, although it was in poor taste, the gag would not have gone beyond audience expectations.

Richard Tait, BBC Trustee and chair of the ESC, said: 'The committee did feel this joke was in bad taste - it had both sexist and ageist overtones.

'However, it was well after the watershed, well signposted and within audience expectations for the show. As a result, this was not a breach.'
In a separate ruling, the Trust also found today that 'humiliating' jibes made by Boyle about Olympic Gold medallist Rebecca Adlington on the BBC2 show did breach guidelines.

In a show broadcast in August 2008, Boyle said Adlington looks 'like someone who's looking at themselves in the back of a spoon'.

He also made sexual innuendo, saying Adlington's boyfriend looked like a male model and continuing: 'So from that I have deduced that Rebecca Adlington is very dirty - I mean if you just take into account how long she can hold her breath...'

One viewer told the BBC he was 'appalled'.

The show's producer later responded to the complaint, saying the ribbing might have gone 'a tad too far' and apologised.

The Trust's ESC noted that 75 complaints were received about the item, which was originally aired in the week that Team GB returned from the Olympic Games.

It found that, while Adlington was more or less a public figure, in the view of the committee she had not sought celebrity status or courted media attention.

'The committee felt, therefore, that the joke about her appearance and the sexual innuendo were humiliating and there was no demonstration of a clear editorial purpose for the inclusion of these comments.'

The committee also noted that the commissioning editor had made her views known about preferring not to include the joke.

It said it was concerned she appeared to have been unable to obtain the edits she would have preferred.

Mr Tait said: 'The committee felt that the comments about Rebecca Adlington were humiliating, and this was exacerbated by the fact that she had not sought celebrity status or courted media attention.

'There was no clear editorial purpose for the inclusion of the joke, and the commissioning editor in charge of the programme felt it had gone too far.'

The BBC said earlier this month that Boyle had quit Mock The Week after seven series, due to 'other television commitments'.

A spokesman for the show said Boyle had been 'a brilliant member of the team' and the door was always open for him to return.

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:15 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
Image

Rebecca Adlington's agent has said the BBC Trust did not take a tough enough stance over comments made about the swimmer in Mock the Week.

The trust ruled the satirical show breached guidelines when it allowed panellist Frankie Boyle to make comments about Adlington's appearance.

But Adlington's spokesman Rob Woodhouse said the "rebuke" was not enough.

"By giving Frankie Boyle a rebuke they fail to discourage others from doing the same," he said.

"That's why we have questioned the BBC Trust's actions," Mr Woodhouse added.

A BBC Trust spokesman confirmed it had received a letter from Adlington's agent and would respond in due course.

Panellist Frankie Boyle's remarks about the Olympic champion were "humiliating" and "risked offending the audience", the trust ruled after the show prompted 75 complaints from viewers following its broadcast in August 2008.

Final ruling

Its producer apologised in December, saying "the ribbing may have gone a tad too far on this occasion".

Image
Mock The Week has been screened since 2005

The trust's Editorial Standards Committee also concluded that double gold medallist Adlington had not courted publicity or celebrity status, making the personal remarks unjustified.

They added that the makers of Mock The Week, who allowed sexual innuendo and comments about Adlington's appearance to be included, failed to have an editorial reason for including them.

The committee's decision was a final ruling on a complaints process that has been in progress since last year.

The BBC recently announced that Boyle was stepping down from the show after seven series to concentrate on other commitments.

The Scottish comedian, known for his dour, cutting humour, was called "a brilliant member of the team" by a spokesman for the programme.

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:03 pm 
Offline
General
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 17205
Location: Over there.
Highscores: 2
Failed to have an editorial reason? Give me a break. The reason was that's what happens on the show... especially with Boyle... he rips into people for comic effect - nobody makes anyone watch it. Plus, if Rebecca whoever she is hadn't complained, I wouldn't have ever known that she did indeed look like a person looking at themselves in the back of a spoon. Way to save your 'image', Plug. :snigger:

_________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Image
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:34 pm 
Offline
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:48 pm
Posts: 7767
Location: Manchester
Highscores: 7
Soft bitch.

_________________
2012
idontfeardeath wrote: Nevermind. It's not like he's going to make the Juve starting 11. :lol:
Spawny wrote: Tata Paul. Enjoy Juve's reserve team, but at least the weather will be nicer.

2013
Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:29 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
yeah abusing ugly people & the disabled is what Britain was founded on.... ask any schoolkid

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:11 pm 
Offline
General
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 17205
Location: Over there.
Highscores: 2
Resurrection Joe wrote:
yeah abusing ugly people & the disabled is what Britain was founded on.... ask any schoolkid


It's not out of line given the rest of the show is it? And who's disabled?

_________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Image
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:36 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
conscience wrote:
Resurrection Joe wrote:
yeah abusing ugly people & the disabled is what Britain was founded on.... ask any schoolkid


It's not out of line given the rest of the show is it? And who's disabled?


I understand the premise of the show.... however, I am reluctant to accept that purely on the basis of the girl winning 2 gold medals at Beijing, she lays herself open to 'acceptable abuse' that she is ugly

...otherwise presumably it's equally ok to say..... 'ha ha look at Eleanor Simmonds.... she's a fookin hobbit'

Image

....yep, she has a recognised disability... but I don't think (personally) because someone has excelled to the degree of dominating the world in her sport, it then becomes 'fair game' to knock her, because she's ugly

I suspect if you said that to someone in any workplace.... you'd get nailed for it

....and (imo) publicly laughing at someone solely on the grounds that they are 'ugly' is reminiscent of Victorian freak shows and 'the Elephant Man'.... laughing at them for incompetence, dishonesty etc. = fine

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:15 am 
Offline
Sergeant
Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:54 pm
Posts: 453
Highscores: 3
If she didn't actually look like someone who's looking at themselves in the back of a spoon, fair enough. But she does, which i would never have realised without the complaints

Incidentally, this episode was on Dave last week....


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:22 am 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:56 am
Posts: 7998
Location: 52 Festive Road
Highscores: 6
I don't think taking the p!ss out of people because of the way they look is acceptable on any forum really. It's a pretty low form of wit.

Why is it ok to mock peoples look and not their skin......it's not. She did really well for her country and brought a bit of feel good factor to the uk. She shouldn't be mocked for her features in my book.

The joke about the queen is quite funny though.

By the way, I had some friends see F.B. live and they said he was terrible.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:20 am 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:11 pm
Posts: 5644
if it was in a school taking the piss out of how someone looks would be looked on as Bullying, its not acceptable there and its not in this case either.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:27 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:12 am
Posts: 19588
Highscores: 1
Some of the jokes we have on here are sexist/racist/about people who've died and we're sitting here slating the someone for remarking that someone is ugly. :lol: I don't really think this forum can take the moral high ground regarding jokes tbh

_________________
Because I'm young enough to be all pi**ed off
But I'm old enough to be jaded
I'm at the age where I want things to change
But with age my hopes have faded


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:02 pm 
Offline
Major
Major
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:26 pm
Posts: 2762
Location: Belfast
Highscores: 4
There is definitely an attitude of anything goes atm regarding jokes and certain comedy shows. There is a lot of comedians who are trying to out shock the next one. It all depends on if the person feels insulted by it or not. If Rebecca Adlington finds it offensive then it wouldn't do FB any harm to apologise to her and I'm sure that would be the end of it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:39 pm 
Offline
General
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 17205
Location: Over there.
Highscores: 2
Resurrection Joe wrote:
conscience wrote:
Resurrection Joe wrote:
yeah abusing ugly people & the disabled is what Britain was founded on.... ask any schoolkid


It's not out of line given the rest of the show is it? And who's disabled?


I understand the premise of the show.... however, I am reluctant to accept that purely on the basis of the girl winning 2 gold medals at Beijing, she lays herself open to 'acceptable abuse' that she is ugly

...otherwise presumably it's equally ok to say..... 'ha ha look at Eleanor Simmonds.... she's a fookin hobbit'

Image

....yep, she has a recognised disability... but I don't think (personally) because someone has excelled to the degree of dominating the world in her sport, it then becomes 'fair game' to knock her, because she's ugly

I suspect if you said that to someone in any workplace.... you'd get nailed for it

....and (imo) publicly laughing at someone solely on the grounds that they are 'ugly' is reminiscent of Victorian freak shows and 'the Elephant Man'.... laughing at them for incompetence, dishonesty etc. = fine


While I take your point, isn't it a little hypocritical of the Beeb?

So now it's ok for some people to be mocked, and not others with the same material? Has Kerry Katona not suffered far worse at his hands without anyone saying a word? (AFAIK anyway). And Chadwick for that matter - and we've all laughed at that one on here. And we even have the "ugly people" feature on the AGR website that everyone found funny. Not to mention the Maddie/Jacko etc. jokes.... I've also noticed Andrew Marr's ears getting quite a few references on various BBC drama shows, and he's not said a word as far as I know? So if Frankie/MOTW are wrong, why are the BBC doing/allowing it with Marr?

If the swimmer is offended, they should say sorry, and leave her alone in future. Especially if she's disabled and not really seeking fame like the other acceptable targets - I'm sure judges have ruled before that anyone who seeks publicity for a job can't really complain when people follow them around and take pictures or talk about them in their acts, for eg. So perhaps she's just not in this category? I dunno who she is.

The ageist joke aimed at the queen was double standards as well imo. She's so old her p1ss is haunted, at age 83 is it? Seemed like a fair enough joke to me, except it's about that German freeloader so it's apparently in bad taste? Gimmie a break.

Auto - you're right. I only even know her as that swimmer who looks like she's looking at herself in the back of a spoon lol. Y'know, the one who moaned at a comic.

I think the BBC knew what they were getting with Boyle, and were more than happy for his shock style humour to get the show loads of PR and exposure. I for one watched it because Boyle was on it, before I knew who Dara and most of the rest were. If there's anyone out of bounds, the producers should write him a list of who to leave alone, otherwise they knew exactly what they would be getting with him. If he's lost his job over this it's ridiculous.

As for comparing an adult comedy show specialising in mocking people from that week's news, to the workplace or school rules - well, it's not quite the same is it. If she's upset say sorry. Simple. Still can't help thinking she'd have been better off contacting the BBC and asking them to cut that bit out and never show it again, rather than publicise it so much it's available everywhere for people to watch over and over again.


_________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Image
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:46 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:12 am
Posts: 19588
Highscores: 1
conscience wrote:
Especially if she's disabled and not really seeking fame like the other acceptable targets


She isn't disabled she's the current double Olympic champion. I believe RJ was asking if this makes it acceptable to mock disabled athletes as we can mock ugly ones.

She has had a difficult time handling the fame that being an Olympic champion brings and hasn't reached the heights of her performances in Beijing since (I could be wrong don't know to much about swimming just from articles i've read and interviews she's done)

Frankie Boyle was taking the p!ss out of himself for being ugly in yesterdays episodes on dave as where a few others on the panel. I also think he quit the show to go on to better himself as oppose to lost his job because of this.

_________________
Because I'm young enough to be all pi**ed off
But I'm old enough to be jaded
I'm at the age where I want things to change
But with age my hopes have faded


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankie Boyle leaves Mock The Week
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:00 pm 
Offline
General
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 17205
Location: Over there.
Highscores: 2
idontfeardeath wrote:
conscience wrote:
Especially if she's disabled and not really seeking fame like the other acceptable targets


She isn't disabled she's the current double Olympic champion. I believe RJ was asking if this makes it acceptable to mock disabled athletes as we can mock ugly ones.

She has had a difficult time handling the fame that being an Olympic champion brings and hasn't reached the heights of her performances in Beijing since (I could be wrong don't know to much about swimming just from articles i've read and interviews she's done)

Frankie Boyle was taking the p!ss out of himself for being ugly in yesterdays episodes on dave as where a few others on the panel. I also think he quit the show to go on to better himself as oppose to lost his job because of this.


Now it makes slightly more sense, it's not what was said perhaps, but the perception that this woman is somehow untouchable because she won at swimming? Don't see 'em sticking up for everyone like that. Who you are, not what is said.

And after joining in with the whole country laughing at Eddie the Eagle, we've all probably already laughed at a disabled sportsman anyway.



Oh... and I just learned it is HRH's p*ssy not her p1ss that is haunted :lol:

_________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Image
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron