AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:40 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Not that I think a "heartbreaking exit" is a very good idea for a children's show on Christmas Day... :rolleyes:

But on hearing the news of Amy Pond's departure... my 8-year-old son said:

"Good, she's a ginger and gingers are rubbish. And I want Matt Smith to regenerate, I'll shoot him myself so we can go back to the tenth doctor"

Nil points for the current cast then. :lol:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:46 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

It won't be done on Christmas Day.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:59 pm 
Captain
Captain

If Ms Gillan goes hopefully the woeful Smith wont be far behind.
Her legs are about the only things worth watching on Dr Who these days
Although I thought the ending of the last Doctor Who episode the Wedding of River Song was the end of Amy Ponds role in Doctor Who.

I was expecting to see more of River Song for a bit

7:00pm, Christmas Day, BBC One

It's been confirmed that The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe will be on BBC ONE on Christmas Day at 7:00pm.

'Best Christmas ever!' (yeah sure)

according to the BBC The Doctor, The Widow (is she a witch? burn her) and The Wardrobe (where's the Lion)? is a festive adventure as magical as Santa Claus and as timeless as the Doctor himself! I believe you)
its Written by Steven Moffat and with what the BBC sees as a dazzling cast led by Matt Smith that includes Claire Skinner, Bill Bailey, Arabella Weir, Paul Bazely and Alexander Armstrong, The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe sees the Time Lord befriend the Arwells, a family from war-torn Britain who are about to experience a wintry wonderland where bad scripts, thin jokes and wooden performances await..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:28 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Matt Smiths alright. So is the Amy Pond character. Rory is a pointless one though.

I dont see what else they can really do with the River Song character either.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:08 pm 
General
General

borocooper wrote:
Matt Smiths alright. So is the Amy Pond character. Rory is a pointless one though.

I dont see what else they can really do with the River Song character either.

Smith is another Sylvester McCoy imo. Or another Scott Bakula. A series/franchise killer. Not a lot wrong, but because it doesn't gel, nothing right either... he's just the wrong man imo, despite the casting team's opinion. Or he's playing it wrong.

In the previous series, Steven Moffat has written them into an uninteresting corner. At least Embarrassing T. Davis knew which scripts were the best ones, Moffat is making every idea he's ever had and the trouble is that despite his obvious writing ability he doesn't know the good from the bad imo.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:11 pm 
General
General

Kie99 wrote:

Part 2 at New Year then? Either way it's supposed to be a kid's show, the official reason for the no-Torchwood crossover policy... basically they don't want kids watching the Torchwood content as it's the adult version of Dr Who.

Just not the kind of show you go for "heartbreaking" endings in imho. It's had my 8-year-old lad (the target audience) in tears a few times when he thought somebody had died etc.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I can't imagine Matt Smith would be a "franchise killer"..it seemed like the viewing figures were still alright..and I wouldnt have thought little kids(if they're the alleged target audience) really care WHO it is, as long as there's monsters, robots, space and silly things happening.

I would also assume it's usually "heartbreaking" or at the very least "emotional" whenever they get rid of the doctor's partner.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:14 am 
Colonel
Colonel

conscience wrote:
Kie99 wrote:

Part 2 at New Year then? Either way it's supposed to be a kid's show, the official reason for the no-Torchwood crossover policy... basically they don't want kids watching the Torchwood content as it's the adult version of Dr Who.

Just not the kind of show you go for "heartbreaking" endings in imho. It's had my 8-year-old lad (the target audience) in tears a few times when he thought somebody had died etc.

Only in the sense that they're doing it at some point next year in the new series, there's no New Year's Day episode, and I don't think they're even featured in the Christmas episode.

Generally they've done the 'heartbreaking ending' pretty well, Donna's "death" was handled so that as far as adults were concerned it was tragic, but the kids wouldn't really understand it, the same goes for Rose's first departure. I thought the way David Tennant went out was extraordinarily good, although I don't know how kids handled it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:13 am 
General
General

Kie99 wrote:
Only in the sense that they're doing it at some point next year in the new series, there's no New Year's Day episode, and I don't think they're even featured in the Christmas episode.

Generally they've done the 'heartbreaking ending' pretty well, Donna's "death" was handled so that as far as adults were concerned it was tragic, but the kids wouldn't really understand it, the same goes for Rose's first departure. I thought the way David Tennant went out was extraordinarily good, although I don't know how kids handled it.

I'll take your word for it, I haven't seen any TV guide spoilers or anything.

Agreed, he wasn't upset about Donna at all because she was OK - at least physically - and I thought that was a great way to handle it. I've just seen them boasting in some press release/news story over how heartbreaking it is... maybe they're overstating it, they have handled the others pretty well so I'm just I'm hoping that continues.

Tennant did go out well, just as he did everything else very well, that's why the change was so noticeable imo. Smith might have had a better reception had he followed Ecclestone or someone less impressive than Tennant...

My son was just excited to see the regeneration (as he regenerated himself at least six times copying in front of the TV lol) and find out who the new Doctor was at the time, and that excitement carried over for 4 or 5 episodes before he was saying it's not as good now and he wished Tennant would come back. He still loves the show but he's not much of a Matt Smith fan.

But strictly as a children's show, like BC says they probably don't care enough to stop watching it and it'll remain popular for a while no matter who they put in the lead role.

We'll see about franchise killer... Sylvester McCoy managed it and Paul McGann failed in the reboot effort, so there is a precedent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:22 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I just think it'd be harsh to blame one actor for the failure of anything really..what if the script is crap? Actors can only do so much..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:31 pm 
General
General

borocooper wrote:
I just think it'd be harsh to blame one actor for the failure of anything really..what if the script is crap? Actors can only do so much..

Good point, and there was a change in producer too and I think that's backfired a little, maybe he'll grow into the role I dunno... none of which helped Smith at all. Maybe they both will grow into it, after all Tennant got much better in his second series.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:33 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I wasn't around at the time, but from what I've seen it was Colin Baker who really killed it. Not a likeable character at all, tried to kill his companion in the first few minutes, and I always got the impression of her being a victim in an abusive relationship throughout her tenure. Saying that, there's apparently a line in her first story which does seem to suggest that she was a victim of abuse at the hands of her step father, although it's not expanded on, maybe that's where it came from.

Sylvester McCoy was a bit crap, but coming after Colin Baker, one more unpopular Doctor would probably have killed it, if he'd followed Davison I imagine it would have survived past him.

I don't think Smith's anywhere near as bad as what you and your son do by the way, the viewing figures tend to suggest he's doing just as well as Tennant.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:51 am 
General
General

Kie99 wrote:
I wasn't around at the time, but from what I've seen it was Colin Baker who really killed it. Not a likeable character at all, tried to kill his companion in the first few minutes, and I always got the impression of her being a victim in an abusive relationship throughout her tenure. Saying that, there's apparently a line in her first story which does seem to suggest that she was a victim of abuse at the hands of her step father, although it's not expanded on, maybe that's where it came from.

Sylvester McCoy was a bit crap, but coming after Colin Baker, one more unpopular Doctor would probably have killed it, if he'd followed Davison I imagine it would have survived past him.

I don't think Smith's anywhere near as bad as what you and your son do by the way, the viewing figures tend to suggest he's doing just as well as Tennant.

Colin Baker was pants too, the curse of Dr Who over the years has been some poor casting imo.

Smith apparently wowed the interviewers at casting, he was exactly what they were looking for... a quirky new doctor that conformed to their own ideas of the original character, whereas I think the public's perception of the show is much narrower, most of us don't have the entire back catalogue in mind like they do, we just liked the way it was brought back with Ecclestone and Tennant rather than the 'old charm' of some of the lesser known actors to modern audiences.

And the figures will be the same, the character seems to be much bigger than the current actor. We still watch it, but he still always says something along the lines of before, and he wishes Tennant come back etc. But it's still got the TARDIS, and the screwdriver... and he was mock-disappointed at the failure to dispense properly with Amy Pond - I'd tried to prepare him for the worst RE her exit and I'd assumed she might be killed off, but he sounded as disappointed as he was amused by the idea! :lol:

Horses for courses I suppose.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:49 pm 
General
General

Doctor Who to hit small screen on 1 September

Time Lord countdown to Series 7 begins

By Kelly Fiveash • The Register

The latest instalment of Doctor Who, which will feature Amy Pond's "heartbreaking" exit, is set to air in the UK on BBC1 on 1st September.

Series 7 will also debut the Time Lord's latest sidekick, played by Jenna-Louise Coleman, who will make her first appearance during the Christmas special episode.

Before that, Who fans are in for a Dalek-busting, dinosaur-packing, teary-angels-in-New-York treat.

The first five episodes scheduled to air on the Beeb, according to fansite Doctorwhotv.co.uk, are entitled: Asylum of the Daleks, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, A Town Called Mercy, The Power of Three and The Angels Take Manhattan.

And here's the official listing of the first ep of Series 7, starring Matt Smith as the Doctor, in Radio Times magazine showing that it will air on Saturday, 1 September at 7.20pm on BBC1.

Time, then, to pull on your bowtie, grab a Pot Noodle and turn on the tellybox.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:50 am 
General
General

Doctor Who: Peter Capaldi revealed as 12th Doctor

Peter Capaldi was revealed as the new Doctor on a special programme hosted by Zoe Ball

Actor Peter Capaldi has been announced as the new star of BBC sci-fi series Doctor Who.

The 55-year-old Glasgow-born star will be the 12th actor to play the Doctor, replacing out-going lead Matt Smith.

Capaldi is best known for his role as foul-mouthed spin-doctor Malcolm Tucker in the BBC series The Thick of It.

"It's so wonderful not to keep this secret any longer, but it's been so fantastic," he said after the news was revealed on a live BBC One show.

The actor had been the bookmakers' favourite to take on the role, with betting on him becoming the next Doctor suspended on Friday.

It is not the first time Capaldi has appeared on the show - he played Roman merchant Caecilius in 2008 Doctor Who adventure The Fires of Pompeii.

Quote:
Analysis

Tim Masters Entertainment correspondent, BBC News

After Matt Smith, the youngest actor to play the Doctor, comes Peter Capaldi, one of the oldest.

At 55, the same age as first Doctor William Hartnell in 1963, Capaldi's casting seems a significant nod to the past as the show celebrates its 50th anniversary.

Capaldi is likely to bring gravitas - as well as humour - to a role widely regarded as one of the most prized in British television.

Capaldi has a strong track record on TV, stage and in film - and is the first Doctor Who star with an Oscar on his CV (for best live action short film).

His previous appearances in Doctor Who episode The Fires of Pompeii and spin-off show Torchwood will make Capaldi a popular choice among fans.

But how will his regenerated Doctor play to a generation born in the 21st Century? Only time will tell.

At 55, he is the same age as William Hartnell when he was cast in the role as the first Doctor in 1963.

"Being asked to play the Doctor is an amazing privilege. Like the Doctor himself I find myself in a state of utter terror and delight. I can't wait to get started," he said.

Secret audition

Steven Moffat, the show's lead writer and executive producer, said casting Capaldi as the Doctor was an "incendiary combination".

"One of the most talented actors of his generation is about to play the best part on television."

Moffat said Capaldi had been cast after a secret audition at his house.

"We made a home video of [Capaldi] being the doctor and I showed it around and everyone said 'yes, that's the Doctor'.

Moffat added the actor had "briefly flicked through my mind" the last time he was casting the role, but he did not think he was right for the part, however "now that moment has arrived".

Capaldi said he downloaded old Doctor Who scripts from the internet and practised the lines in front of a mirror to prepare for the audition.

Quote:
The 12 Doctors

1. William Hartnell (1963-1966)

2. Patrick Troughton (1966-1969)

3. Jon Pertwee (1970-1974)

4. Tom Baker (1974-1981)

5. Peter Davison - (1982-1984)

6. Colin Baker (1984-1986)

7. Sylvester McCoy (1987-1996)

8. Paul McGann (1996)

9. Christopher Eccleston (2005)

10. David Tennant (2005-2010)

11. Matt Smith (2010 - 2013)

12. Peter Capaldi (2013 - )

He revealed he was filming a BBC adaptation of The Three Musketeers in Prague when he found out he got the part.

"I had my phone on silent so I missed the call," he said. "It was my agent and I rang her up and she said 'hello Doctor' - I haven't stopped laughing since."

'Incredible incarnation'

Out-going Doctor Matt Smith welcomed Capaldi's casting, and pre-recorded a message for the new Time Lord.

"I wish my successor all the best and say good luck and good on you for getting it, because I know he's both a huge fan of the show and a really nice guy," he said.

"The casting made me ready excited and as a fan I think it's a canny choice. If I had to pick someone, I'd pick him because I think he's great. I'm excited because I know what's coming and he's going to have a blast."

Jenna Coleman, who stars as current Doctor Who companion Clara, said: "I'm so excited Peter Capaldi is the man taking on the challenge of becoming the 12th Doctor.

"With Steven's writing and his talent I know we'll be making an amazing show with an incredible incarnation of number 12. I can't wait to start this new adventure."

Ben Stephenson, controller of BBC Drama Commissioning said Capaldi was "an extraordinarily talented actor who can seemingly turn his hand to anything".

"We can't wait to premiere his unique take on the Doctor on Christmas Day and we are sure he's going to become one of the all-time classic Doctors."

Following the announcement, The Thick of It writer Armando Ianucci tweeted: "There can't be a funnier, wiser, more exciting Time Lord than Peter Capaldi. The universe is in great hands."

Capaldi will film his first scenes on the series this autumn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:54 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Undecided on this one. Will have to wait and see how he does I guess.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:06 am 
General
General

Same here. Though I really did think he played a great role in the BBC's political drama The Thick Of It so I'm hopeful he'll do well.

At least he won't be as bad as Matt Smith, that's the main thing I suppose. I started to watch Smith's efforts then just gave up. Not his fault he was so poor, it's whoever gave him the job that was at fault. He was better suited to CBBC or something but poor casting was definitely risking another crap doctor kills the series moment imo. When the entire series revolves around one character the actor has to be very good and it'll suck if not. This show has proved to be a great revealer of the not so talented actors in the past so let's hope they've got it right this time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:16 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Never seen that, in fact never really seen him in anything... much like I hadn't for Tennant or Smith.

I actually don't think Smith has been that bad. He's been the weakest of the new Doctors, but Ecclestone and Tennant were really good so it was never gonna be easy to follow them.

Capaldi will probably benefit somewhat from following Smith instead of Tennant.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:21 am 
General
General

Spawny wrote:
Never seen that, in fact never really seen him in anything... much like I hadn't for Tennant or Smith.

I actually don't think Smith has been that bad. He's been the weakest of the new Doctors, but Ecclestone and Tennant were really good so it was never gonna be easy to follow them.

Capaldi will probably benefit somewhat from following Smith instead of Tennant.

I really enjoyed The Thick Of It, and he played one of the major parts in it. It's on iPlayer sometimes and of course the usual video sites on the net if you're interested. It's been described as an updated Gordon Brown era Labour government version of Yes Minister, which is another top quality programme if you've not seen it. The Thick Of It ended after the fourth series which by then reflected a coalition government.

Agreed. Ecclestone was very good, and Tenant too grew into the role and really made it his own by the end. Smith was a confusing choice after two top quality actors like those and he just didn't measure up imo. Each to their own I suppose but I'm glad his time as the Doctor has come to an end.

I await the new series with interest.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:41 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

The Thick of It is one of the funniest shows I've watched. Not just funny though, just all round great. Capaldi was fantastic in it, his character Malcolm being the best on the show.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8