Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Derek
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Ricky Gervais has explained how Derek contrasts from his previous sitcoms.

The 50-year-old comedian said that his character Derek Noakes in the new Channel 4 comedy is more self-aware than his Office alter ego David Brent.

"The difference is that there's no real veil of irony and people are saying exactly what they mean, however crazy that is," he told TV & Satellite Week magazine

"The talking heads in The Office were in juxtaposition to what you actually saw them do. So there was a certain irony to David Brent saying, 'They love me out there'.

"Derek is self-aware because he's just honest. He says what's on his mind. He's better than us. He's lovely and he's kind. Whatever he thinks and does is the nice way to go, whether that's right or wrong."

Gervais, who penned and directed the upcoming pilot without writing partner Stephen Merchant, hopes the level of raw emotion in the piece will strike a chord with viewers.

"Real life is like that. It's a comedy-drama, but then everything that's real and done with a bit of compassion is," the star continued. "I like getting close to real emotions. I've never been scared of that.

"It's just that people don't expect that sometimes when they've been having a laugh. An old people's home is already quite a melancholy place. Someone dies and Derek has to deal with it."

Explaining why he pursued the project, Gervais added: "It's an antidote to fame. I just want to do something about normal people again. It's time to do that, and it seems like recession is the norm now, like the 1980s was a blip."

Channel 4 airs Derek, which also stars Karl Pilkington, on Thursday, April 12 at 10pm.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Derek
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

God I hope this is better than Lifes Too Short.

Trailers seem better though, and Karls in it so that's a winner.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:21 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
I gotta say it looks p1ss poor, but then I never did laugh at a single thing that man ever said. Horses for courses.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:34 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
"Derek is a fictional character and is defined by his creator, me," Gervais told disability rights campaigner and blogger Nicky Clark.

"If I say I don't mean him to be disabled then that's it. A fictional doctor can't come along and prove me wrong. He's different. But then so are a lot of people.

"He's not the smartest tool in the box but he's cleverer than Father Dougal [from Father Ted], and not as different as Mr Bean. He's based on those people you meet who are on the margins of society. Nerds, loners, under-achievers."

Clark - who has previously clashed with Gervais over his use of the word 'mong' - was invited to watch a screening of Derek with Gervais and later praised the comedy.

"I've laughed and cried. I haven't seen cruelty," she wrote. "Instead of it being a mocking disintegration of a learning-disabled man paraded for the amusement of comfortable unaffected people, it's the story that really needs to be told at the moment."

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Watched it. Quite liked it. Better than Life's Too Short easy.

Had some funny bits, some touching bits, some cliched bits. Overall it was nice and well meaning I thought.

Don't expect a laugh out loud knockabout comedy, it's like a light comedy drama.