Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: QPR: The 4 Year Plan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:57 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
I hadn't heard about this program but it come straight on after MOTD2.

Quote:
After four defeats in five games, QPR boss Mark Hughes and his players were in need of a little light relief.

So on Tuesday, Hughes took the team to an art-house cinema in Mayfair to watch a special screening of a new comedy.

The Four Year Plan, a brilliant documentary about QPR under the regime of former joint-owner Flavio Briatore, was not conceived as a vehicle for merriment.

But for the first half of it at least, as Briatore and his henchmen cull one unfortunate manager after another, that was how it turned out.

The documentary – part Sopranos, part Sweeney and part Do I Not Like That – legitimised every rumour about Briatore’s interference in team affairs. At one point, he had to be persuaded that rather than phoning the manager on the touchline during a match, it would be more discreet if he texted him instructions instead.

As Adel Taarabt, Joey Barton, Anton Ferdinand, Shaun Wright-Phillips and the rest of the current team watched the story unfold, astonished laughter rang out around the auditorium.

There are any number of priceless moments, including the scene when Briatore bullies sporting director Gianni Paladini into going down to the touchline to order caretaker coach Gareth Ainsworth to bring Gavin Mahon off the bench.

Mahon promptly scores a last gasp winner and Briatore, his football genius now proven, erupts in a mixture of self-righteous anger and joy in the directors’ box.

Then, after he has dispensed with the services of managers Iain Dowie, Ainsworth, Paulo Sousa, Jim Magilton, Paul Hart, Steve Gallen, Marc Bircham and Mick Harford in short order, there is this discussion between Briatore and club director Alejandro Agag.

Briatore: “The problem is we found four or five idiots. Incompetent. Somehow, we found all the incompetent ones.”

Agag: “We found every idiot.”

Briatore: “No idiot spared.”

Agag: “Every idiot available.”

Briatore: “We found a band of drunkards. One hits a player. Another gets drunk. This is impressive.”

Things only improved when Neil Warnock, who was also at the screening and is, in many ways, the hero of the film, took over in March 2010 and Briatore became less involved with the day-to-day running of the club.

The documentary ends in triumph with QPR’s promotion to the Premier League the following season and as the credits rolled, Warnock hurried off into the night.

Hughes stuck around, chatting in the foyer. He had seen the film once before, he said, but his expression showed he had marvelled at it just as much the second time around.

He had, he said, never encountered anything remotely similar in all his years in the game and the QPR he inherited from Warnock is a very different one to the version depicted in The Four Year Plan. Briatore is gone, of course, and it was new owner Tony Fernandes, who sacked Warnock in January and gave the job to Hughes.

But the push towards mid-table that many anticipated has not materialised and after successive defeats to Fulham, Blackburn and Wolves, only one point separates QPR from the bottom of the table.

Hughes is a fine manager and in Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki, he has a talented team of coaches around him.

He was cheerful enough on Tuesday night but it is clear that while the club is now a long way from the chaos depicted in the film, he is beset by a host of problems. It’s no secret that there were tensions between Warnock and some of the more high-profile members of the QPR squad, particularly Barton, who criticized his ex-boss on Twitter in the wake of his departure.

Rumours of fresh dressing room unrest and arguments between players have surfaced.

Discipline has been poor, too. Red cards in the home games against Fulham and Wolves forced QPR to play for long periods with 10 men.

Fernandes’s response has been to promise to tour pubs in Shepherd’s Bush before the crucial home game against Everton tomorrow to respond to fans’ concerns.

Like Warnock before him, Hughes now finds himself in a situation where he needs to turn QPR around as it teeters on the edge of the relegation zone.

Anything other than a victory against David Moyes’s resurgent side tomorrow is likely to see the west London club slip into the bottom three.

Still, as he left the cinema, Hughes realised things could be a whole lot worse.

It will only be if his phone starts ringing in the Loftus Road dug-out tomorrow that he will know things have come full circle.

But with age my hopes have faded

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: QPR: The 4 Year Plan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:57 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
TIMELINE OF BRIATORE REIGN

November 7 2007: Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone pay £14million to take over QPR and settle their debts.

December 12 2007: Family of billionaire Lakshmi Mittal buy 20 per cent of club.

May 12 2008: Luigi Di Canio leaves at the end of the season, claiming his pregnant girlfriend wants to return to Italy. Iain Dowie is appointed within a couple of days and spends the summer putting together his team.

October 24 2008: Dowie sacked after just 15 games in charge, with popular player Gareth Ainsworth asked to mind the shop.

November 19 2008: Paulo Sousa appointed.

April 9 2009: Sousa sacked for disclosing details of Dexter Blackstock’s proposed loan move to Nottingham Forest. ­Ainsworth again handed the reigns ­temporarily.

June 3 2009: Jim Magilton named as manager.

December 9 2009: Magilton suspended and then departed “by mutual consent” following an alleged bust-up with midfielder Akos Buzsaky. Marc Bircham and Steve Gallen named joint caretakers.

December 17 2009: Paul Hart appointed but quit after only five games in charge.

January 15 2010: Mick Harford named caretaker but the team is beaten in six of his seven games in charge.

February 19 2010: Briatore steps down as chairman but keeps his shares.

March 2 2010: Neil Warnock appointed and steers team to Championship title. But promotion only confirmed after an FA investigation into the transfer of Alejandro Faurlin ends with a fine rather than a points deduction.

Jan 8 2011: Warnock sacked by the new owners.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:01 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The program is definitely worth a watch. It paints Flavio Briatore as a complete idiot. He threatens at one point to sell the club unless he gets all of the names of the people that are booing him.

It confirms the rumours about him picking the team too. Also he had a rant about Warnock being a joke of a manager when the club needed one point to assure themselves of promotion.

Another bit I liked was when they were doing the budgeting and were taken in to account the amount of money spent on match day flowers. Never think about how much they have to spend on that sort of thing and how much money they can save by cutting down.

It's definitely worth watching if you didn't see it and is currently available on the BBC Iplayer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:43 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Bernie Eccleston picking up a bottle of Lucozade & saying 'cut this out it's expensive'

.....i thought the other Italian was an absolute c*nt

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:14 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Paliadini was a complete bell end he constantly undermined the management.

You have to remember that they did save the club from going out of business and eventually they did learn and appoint an experienced manager to do the job rather than someone that they could bully.

Briatore didn't have a clue what he was doing the only one who seemed to get it was Amit Bhattia.

It was well worth a watch showed just how chaotic things can be inside a football club.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
John & Al's Footy On TV: QPR's Four Year Plan

Remarkably, Flavio Briatore funded the quite superb 'QPR: The Four Year Plan', making it the single least effective piece of propaganda in sporting history. Enjoy...

Fortunately, the Four-Year Plan under documentary discussion on Sunday night was to do with rebuilding a football club, not the thing the Nazis began in 1936 to economically galvanise Germany for the war. Although who is to say that the Premier League would not wave The Fuhrer through the "fit and proper person" test for football club ownership if the price was right? Anyhow, we highly recommend a watch of QPR: The Four Year Plan, which was shown on BBC2 and can be viewed on the iPlayer.

It tells the unlikely story of how a rogue's gallery of pant-wettingly rich men bought the unfashionable West London outfit and took them into the promised land of the Premier League (at time of writing). The start of the film, in the 2008-2009 season, is especially enjoyable. Chairman Flavio Briatore and vice-chairman Amit Bhatia watch Iain Dowie's team, proving yet again that Len Shackleton's 1956 autobiography, with its chapter 'The Average Director's Knowledge of Football', consisting of a single blank page, is one of football's enduring truisms.

The new owners are standard-issue crowd bores of the "He's rubbish, sack him...We should sack that manager... what we need is someone who can put the ball in the net...I could have scored that meself," only these blokes can and do actually sell and sack the players and managers they don't like. QPR stalwart Martin Rowlands comes in for particular vitriol, while it is clear from the outset that Briatore, especially, does not rate Dowie. Davros is duly ditched after 15 games.

In fact, the film is just one bizarre and brilliant little scene after another, with Briatore emerging as football's finest unintentional comic genius since John Sitton urged his team "to bring their faackin' dinner". He wants caretaker Gareth Ainsworth and his assistant - "What's the guy's name?" - to have a phone on the bench so he can issue instructions, but in the end settles for having sporting director Gianni Paladini pass on a message via the masseuse. He and Bernie Ecclestone worry about how much they're spending on bottled water. He vows to sack Ainsworth - or "that prick in the dugout", to give him his full title - if he loses the game as caretaker.

We won't go on: it's too enjoyable; just watch it for yourself.

The level of access that film-maker Mat Hodgson and his crew have got is terrific, with cameras in the dressing room before the game, in the corporate offices as Flavio and his fellow bigwigs issue their edicts and bicker. Astonishingly, it turns out that the ownership group actually funded this film themselves, making it perhaps the single least effective piece of propaganda in sporting history. We don't get the sense that the film-makers set out to make the subjects look daft - this is no hatchet-job - but rather that they simply pointed the camera and gawped in amazement at the extraordinary behaviour of the then-owners.

Perhaps when you are super-rich, it simply doesn't matter to you if you look like a fool because the money talks louder than anything else and ultimately drowns out any criticism. It's also possible that those involved here see nothing wrong in their behaviour or attitudes. Maybe they even think they come out of it well or more likely, they just don't care at all. None seems short of ego or self-confidence

However, this whole affair shows if we needed reminding, just how hard it is to run a football club successfully. It is a febrile mix of human relations, money, temperament, talent and motivation and not even previously very successful businessmen seem to quite know or understand what they have got themselves into.

The film ends with QPR's promotion as Champions and the title-card message that Flavio had sold up to Tony Fernandes, who has himself proved a remarkable figure. There's clearly enough material already for another film, and we'd certainly watch it. Surely QPR wouldn't open their doors a second time, though...

John Nicholson and Alan Tyers

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:00 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
3 days left IIRC for you to watch it on iPlayer.

Click The Link...http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01d7kd7/QPR_The_Four_Year_Plan/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Year_Plan/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:03 pm 
Major General
Major General

Must find time (and remember) to watch this. Sounds like it's pretty good.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.