Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Black Sabbath
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:08 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Not sure if there are any fans of them on here, but if so they have a new album coming out soon. You can stream the whole album on iTunes at the moment, and it's incredible. Best new album I've heard for a long time.

Also, going to see them in December :thumbup:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Black Sabbath
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:30 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
A classic band and it's always nice to see quality reunions but... Ozzy Osbourne? :ohmy:

Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler back together is good, unfortunately I dunno why they let Ozzy anywhere near it. His best was a very long time ago, listened to the first two live tracks on the vid below and he's killing those songs. Despite Ozzy being their worst ever singer imo, I would still have loved to have seen them live. Unfortunately, the ticket price of £99 is a little steep.

They should have given former vocalist Tony Martin a ring imo.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:40 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
£99? I got mine for about £40 which is about standard for a big band now. there were £11 of 'charges' on top though :rant:

As for Ozzy, I love him in Sabbath. Live recordings always sound sh*t almost without fail. Thry played Dowbload laat year and the people I know said they were really good. The only noticable difference with Ozzy was that it he could barely move.

Check out the album though mate, usually takes me a good few listens to get into an album but straight away I think this is one of my favourites of theirs. It really is good.

P.s Excuse the typos, my phone updated itself and has changed the keypad, and no longer autocorrects :rant:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:21 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Highscores: 1
Haven't heard it yet, will give it a go soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:52 pm 
General
General

Serbinator wrote:
£99? I got mine for about £40 which is about standard for a big band now. there were £11 of 'charges' on top though :rant:

As for Ozzy, I love him in Sabbath. Live recordings always sound sh*t almost without fail. Thry played Dowbload laat year and the people I know said they were really good. The only noticable difference with Ozzy was that it he could barely move.

Check out the album though mate, usually takes me a good few listens to get into an album but straight away I think this is one of my favourites of theirs. It really is good.

P.s Excuse the typos, my phone updated itself and has changed the keypad, and no longer autocorrects :rant:

I don't know where I checked yesterday but they were £99. Just some random search result.

But I just checked again based on what you said on livenation's site (the venue owner) and they are quoting £45.25 - £61.00 which is much more like it.

I will definitely give it a listen, I'm a fan especially when Dio/Tony Martin was with them. It doesn't sound like Ozzy has still got it but I could be wrong, it could just be a poor recording I suppose.

As for Ozzy not moving, I am surprised they can stand him up. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:07 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

They were excellent in Download last year and Ozzy actually looked really on form for a change!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:41 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
Just giving this a listen now, I enjoy it.

Love the music.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:19 pm 
General
General

Well I just came back from watching Sabbath last night in Sheffield. Very mixed bag to say the least.

The support band, Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, couldn't really sing and all the songs sounded the same, probably supplied by the venue at minimal expense I expect, the blessing they only got 30 minutes on stage. Bands don't pick their own touring partners anymore it seems, as it means they have to share the cash with them and they don't want to. It might make financial sense but I do miss those near double headliners with quality support acts especially when it was £60 (£55+£5 fees) for the ticket.

The biggest problem when Sabbath came on... was the playlist. They opened with War Pigs and the whole place came alive. It was brilliant, I thought, and the tiered seating right up to the top all the way around were pretty animated, dancing, headbanging, clapping, holding their arms in the air etc. even right to the back of the standing area. A great start!

Then over the next two hours they played pretty much all of their new album and various other (I assume recent-ish?) fairly unfamiliar tunes and that was the problem, because apart from when they played a couple of old songs like Iron Man, most people seemed to be sat there bored - I kid you not.

Sure, there was a small group of younger ones down the front who jumped up and down to mostly everything, whereas others weren't quite as animated EG the people right next to us were browsing the web and facebooking on their mobiles etc. instead of even watching the show! It didn't look like anyone had even heard nevermind liked any of their new album, and the trouble was that the band didn't seem to notice or care the flat reaction they were getting and just carried on. I half expected them to change the playlist mid-show and play some more 'classics' but it never happened.

While Ozzy kept telling those bouncing youngsters down the front that he loved them, when he would turn to the left or the right and see I wanna see your hands in the air, or cheer and go crazy there was nothing but the odd raised hand among 1000s of people. Even at the end, when Ozzy announced "go crazy if you want us to play a few more songs" - hardly anybody did. They left the stage and Ozzy's voice was heard from back stage in the dark giving everyone a second chance to go crazy for an encore but still, besides a faint cheer down the front there was absolutely nothing doing. The band came back on stage to launch into Paranoid, but by then it was far too late and many people - including me and the people I went with - were already on their feet heading for the doors. Before the band (I assume) said goodnight and thanks for coming, the car park was already full of hundreds of cars leaving. Sad really.

There was a small, maybe 100-200 people, chunk of the audience that were younger and they seemed to enjoy it and jump up and down as they'll probably have only known the new and more recent songs but most of the rest of the audience were over 35-55+ and it was this vast majority that Sabbath let down imho, as that's clearly not what they hoped to see. I suppose with so many albums it was always going to be difficult to give everybody their favourite songs but the eventual selection was poor and they didn't play to the crowd at all.

Musically, Tony was amazing (as always), as was Geezer and that drummer was an animal but it didn't look like Brad Wilkes? Might have been I suppose. :dunno: Ozzy did well on some, mainly the old songs, but on most of them he was a little breathless, out of tune and/or a little shouty depending on the song, suppose it's to be expected from someone his age and general fitness levels lol but he did OK too. Thought it was a bit much to have heard Ozzy saying in interviews that Bill Ward couldn't cut it, couldn't remember what they were doing and that he didn't want to kill him by giving him another heart attack because he wasn't fit etc. then he himself had to read the lyrics while he sang them. :lol: Pot, kettle fella.

All in all, I didn't think it was really worth going, but if you like the new album you'll probably enjoy it more. It was very much OK-ish when potentially it could have been the show of the century... they certainly have enough good songs to play. Unlike many old metal bands who generally do a greatest hits show plus a couple of new ones, Sabbath are plugging away like a new band trying to sell copies of the new album rather than trying to give the fans that turned out they greatest hits collection that they wanted.

"Are you having fun?" Ozzy kept saying, "that's the most important thing?" but it seemed to apply to the band more than their audience. The band did seem to really enjoy being back on stage, but too many of the crowd weren't having nearly as much fun as the band clearly were.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:07 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Most of the young people probably only know the old stuff too, they just have the energy to jump up and down for no reason for 90minutes. It sounds like I got the same set you did, although our crowd was a bit more receptive - probably because we are just happy to see anyone come here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:15 pm 
General
General

Toast and Bananas wrote:
Most of the young people probably only know the old stuff too, they just have the energy to jump up and down for no reason for 90minutes. It sounds like I got the same set you did, although our crowd was a bit more receptive - probably because we are just happy to see anyone come here.

Probably. Don't get me wrong, there was some interest, but it was still pretty pathetic compared to what you'd expect. I saw a few smaller bands fairly recently like WASP and Love/Hate and both crowds went mental and put the Sabbath crowd to shame. It's a pity isn't it? Definitely an opportunity missed for one hell of a gig imho.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:37 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

that's a shame as they weren't like that at Download a few years back, however a festival set is always the hits really. I think Tommy Clufetos is their touring drummer, who used to be in faith no more.