It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:03 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Serbinator wrote:
To be fair Con, you seem quite out of the loop on most things non-techie related :lol:

See videos of her live and she seems to have genuine talent and puts a lot of emotion into her music. As far as I know she writes all her own stuff as well. Only thing she doesn't do is dance.

I don't like comparisons between her and Amy Winehouse because she was a f**king disgusting trampy drug addicted piece of sh*t. Not a fan.

You're right to a point :D I don't have a telly and I don't follow popular culture or x-factor or big brother or even the news most of the time. But I do see talent in people I don't necessarily like the musical style of, eg The Beatles - some great songs, but I'm not a pop fan. I can still see that they're well done though. A measure of the talent/effort/result not just the genre, if you like. I didn't say she was crap btw, just could (to an outsider such as I) have been anybody singing those songs. Beyonce, Pink, etc., they all tend to sound the same to me, decent singers or whatever doing the same mixed bag of pop music. And I've got Pink's album before you think I'm a complete caveman. :p OK, someone asked me to get it in for when they came over, but still... I have heard some of these people. :lol:

More a comparison of the style not the person. Not sure anything compares to Amy Winehouse.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:27 pm 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

If I were British I'd be less worried about this Adele/MJ thing and take sometime to do some national soul searching as to why not one but both of Queen's greatest hits albums are on the list :ninja:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
The James wrote:
If I were British I'd be less worried about this Adele/MJ thing and take sometime to do some national soul searching as to why not one but both of Queen's greatest hits albums are on the list :ninja:

Her 1992 Christmas speech was amazing

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:35 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
Con you've had a nightmare in this thread. :haha:

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:42 pm 
General
General

Reedo wrote:

Oh?

And can't you think of 10 records better than Adele's that deserved to be thought of in the UK top ten ahead of her?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

That's the thing Con in your opinion you can name 10 records but this chart is the probably the most accurate representation of the majority you can get as it's based on copies sold.

People who've actually dipped into their own pockets and bought a copy of an album.

I don't mind Adele in the same way I don't mind a bit of Michael Jackson but do I don't own any of their albums and probably never will but I don't change the radio over when they come on.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:27 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
The James wrote:

Tell me you're not knocking Queen! Queen are amazing.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Serbinator wrote:
The James wrote:

I hate too tell you this mate. But he is mocking Queen.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
conscience wrote:
Reedo wrote:

Oh?

And can't you think of 10 records better than Adele's that deserved to be thought of in the UK top ten ahead of her?

As JSP stated, it's a democratic representation of what the UK nation has opted to purchase, it's not a question of what an individual deems 'best'

....because a load of people opted to buy an album, does not mean they'd put it in their Top Ten

....how many people (on reflection) think BAD is a good album?

....personally, i think Dark Side Of The Moon is amongst some of the worst cat-strangling b0llocks i've ever heard (sorry Whit) but they convinced millions of mugs fans to buy it

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:58 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
idontfeardeath wrote:
Serbinator wrote:
The James wrote:

I hate too tell you this mate. But he is mocking Queen.

Don't stop him now

I'm with RJ on DSOTM = pap

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:27 pm 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

Well I'm not mocking them really I flat out hate them

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:42 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Spawny wrote:
Mr Carrot wrote:
in the days of thriller one person would buy the album and everyone would put it onto cassette.

Or you'd wait by the stereo to try and record your favourite single off of the radio, hoping the DJ didn't talk over the intro :lol: those were the days.

Exactly lol. I did this - made some wicked mix tapes back in the day due to ppl talking thru a song. Personally I like the album - it's good, but it's no Thriller. It doesn't have the same impact in its contemporary period.

Regarding the sales comparison, any Tom dick & Harry can get record sales nowadays because the marketing system is different, and the media is different. There are more ways to sell albums now. Many ppl would have had a Thriller album already (my Father had an LP and eventually DVD) and grown up listening to copies of it (eg from their parents), so why would they buy it? Not to mention it would have been pirated for decades. Adele's albums are new and would have been instantly ported to several outlets (DVD,CD, MP3).

Also the reach of media is further now - e.g. in Jamaica we didn't have CD players until a year or two behind the US..but media moves much faster now, especially with the internet (plus marketing buzz) and so do sales. We get everything in under a month of its release stateside now. Also there is the law of diminishing returns (linked to the earlier point about if ppl would buy album they've already had thru other sources) - the older an album the less likely someone has to buy a new copy of it, as they probably got it from other sources before they could even work a job.

The real test will be to see how well Adele's album sell 10-20 years from now rather than comparing absolute figures.

Re the piracy thing: do not let the RIAA fool you - they have lost virtually no profits due to piracy (it's why they still have enough money to lobby congress) - they just want it all. if anything it's the ppl behind the scene like sound engineers who would lose, not the corporation or artistes who get big deals, and most of them are quite fine! Struggling artistes know this and its why a lot of them spread their stuff via piracy - they get good marketing, and eventually ppl will buy music if its good. There's a piracy torrent site (what.cd) that actually distributes music for artistes who have embraced that form of "filesharing marketing".

Piracy was alive back in the 60s and it's alive now, and it has never taken large sums of money from the commercial stream. The same ppl who pirated then are the same ones doing it now - can't afford to buy the players, cassettes, CDs, DVDs or now MP3s, so they got it by borrowing, copying and now downloading (or buying knock-offs). Or they'd rather listen first and THEN buy, vs taking a chance off 1-3 hits and 15 filler songs.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
You can't argue with sales and the amount of people she appeals to. 1 in 15 people in the country have been out and bought her album. That's amazing.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:58 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

idontfeardeath wrote:
You can't argue with sales and the amount of people she appeals to. 1 in 15 people in the country have been out and bought her album. That's amazing.

You can always argue with media-reported sales figures.

What was the population of Britain when Thriller came out, and how many ppl bought it during the first year? How much has the population increased since then? To me that is the only way to take these current figures int context with albums from past periods. If you equate the two periods wrt population, number of records available (which is another limiting factor to how much are sold - I remember my local record shop NEVER having BoyzIIMen albums to buy), number of ppl who bought them (wer surveys even done back then?), etc then we're getting somewhere.

Of course I'm being rather scientific about it all :p

gtg - home/traffic run :(

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:17 pm 
General
General

JSP wrote:
That's the thing Con in your opinion you can name 10 records but this chart is the probably the most accurate representation of the majority you can get as it's based on copies sold.

People who've actually dipped into their own pockets and bought a copy of an album.

I don't mind Adele in the same way I don't mind a bit of Michael Jackson but do I don't own any of their albums and probably never will but I don't change the radio over when they come on.

I can barely name ten records tbh lol, but I was just thinking that just because x record has sold a copy, doesn't mean that the buyer either likes, listens, or continues to listen long term to the track or album... so how is it a measure of quality? If such a thing even exists with music. It just means somebody bought it. And how many of us have stuff that we never use? How much was overstock and ended up in the bargain bins? How many were recorded off the radio chart countdown or downloaded from the interwebs? Or was it bought for the kids so the buyer never even heard of it etc. EG believe it or not, I went out and bought Bjork on the stength of Big Time Sensuality (IIRC?) :ninja: only to find an album of fishing ballads or... I don't even know what the hell the rest of it was lol, but it wasn't what I expected. Never played more than 3 or 4 times after a full priced purchase, then given away to a charity shop.

Not sure I have a better method of measuring such a subject as music tbh, just think sales indicate most exposure/best marketing campaign rather than any kind of indication of quality or popularity... though they can match up.

Personally I was far more surprised at how little both Adele and Michael Jackson had sold - 4m copies doesn't seem that much. Shows what I know.

Resurrection Joe wrote:
As JSP stated, it's a democratic representation of what the UK nation has opted to purchase, it's not a question of what an individual deems 'best'

....because a load of people opted to buy an album, does not mean they'd put it in their Top Ten

....how many people (on reflection) think BAD is a good album?

....personally, i think Dark Side Of The Moon is amongst some of the worst cat-strangling b0llocks i've ever heard (sorry Whit) but they convinced millions of mugs fans to buy it

Good point, and I agree with that.

Not I, although it takes me back to fairground rides when I was a high school kid so I like it more than I should. :ninja: Which isn't a lot. :phew: DSOTM was even worse. (Sorry Whit).

And me too. Sales and quality to each listener personally vary wildly so I dunno why people try to portray the biggest sellers as "the best song/album ever" all the time - it's a different thing. Back pats all round for those involved no problem, but reserve the "that's what I call the best song ever..." accolades for what you personally like, or at least there's some mass consensus on. Judging by the comments on this thread we're far from there! :D