AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower


It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:46 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
Image

Adele's second album 21 has overtaken Michael Jackson's Thriller in the list of best-selling UK albums.

It has sold 4,274,300 copies in the UK, 500 more than Jackson's 1982 classic.

Figures show 21 has been selling an average of 20,000 copies per week over the last four weeks.

"To add to her many landmark records, Adele's achievement in overtaking Thriller in the all-time sales list is truly remarkable," said Martin Talbot from the Official Charts Company.

"Thriller has long been recognised as one of the most iconic albums of all-time.

"There is now no doubt that 21 can be spoken of in the same breath."

In the 15 months since Adele's second album was released, it has spent 65 non-consecutive weeks on the Official Albums Chart.

It has outsold Amy Winehouse's Back To Black to become the biggest selling album of the 21st Century and has overtaken the sales of albums like Michael Jackson's Bad, Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon and Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms in the UK.

The 23-year-old has also won six Grammy Awards and two Brits in the last year.

The top 10 biggest-selling albums in the UK are:

1 - Greatest Hits - Queen

2 - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

3 - Gold: Greatest Hits - ABBA

4 - (What's The Story) Morning Glory? - Oasis

5 - 21 - Adele

6 - Thriller - Michael Jackson

7 - Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits

8 - The Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd

9 - Bad - Michael Jackson

10 - Greatest Hits II - Queen

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:08 pm 
Offline
General
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 17205
Location: Over there.
Highscores: 2
Not that I've heard the album in question.... but I think not!!

And I still don't get how they can rate music by cash earned. :doh:

_________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Image
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:24 am 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
conscience wrote:
Not that I've heard the album in question.... but I think not!!

And I still don't get how they can rate music by cash earned. :doh:

:blink: they're comparing them by copies sold

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:59 am 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 6512
Resurrection Joe wrote:
conscience wrote:
Not that I've heard the album in question.... but I think not!!

And I still don't get how they can rate music by cash earned. :doh:

:blink: they're comparing them by copies sold

It's a rubbish comparison IMO as it never takes into consideration the change in the markets in the respective time periods. Just like movie profit figures nowadays for every tome dick and harry show. The numbers never tell the real story.

Thriller>>> 21, though it is a nice album.

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:18 am 
Offline
General
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 17205
Location: Over there.
Highscores: 2
Resurrection Joe wrote:
conscience wrote:
Not that I've heard the album in question.... but I think not!!

And I still don't get how they can rate music by cash earned. :doh:

:blink: they're comparing them by copies sold


Same difference, but it's no measure of the music imho. Athough they should probably reward their sales and marketing department, I'm not hearing anything groundbreaking or particularly brilliant. It's nice. It's OK. But it's not super duper.

Out of interest who came first? Her or the late Amy Winehouse? More than a little similarity there methinks.

_________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Image
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:30 am 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:28 pm
Posts: 11549
Highscores: 12
If anything, the era 21 was released in should make it even more of an achievement considering the amount of people who download music, and also the fact Thriller and most of the other albums on the list have been out 10+ years to reach this point.

Adele has appeal worldwide and to all audiences, and the nice thing is she seems unaffected by it all, coming across as a down to earth girl with no airs or graces.

I'm a big fan. A tip of the hat, Adele.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

_________________
Erik The Viking wrote:
I personally hope Corden dies in a house fire.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:20 am 
Offline
Major General
Major General

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 11695
Highscores: 1
Yeah... but... it's not better than Thriller!! Actually that is, of course, an entirely subjective topic. To me, Adele is alright, but nothing special.

Commercial success is easily measured, that's a given, but there is a lot more to consider than that.

For example, did kids in the 80 have enough money to go and buy an album (I would think no)? Was there as much air-time given to individual songs (there were certainly less radio stations)? Did everyone have a personal music device (no, you borrowed tapes from your mates)?

_________________
idontfeardeath wrote:
Spawny wrote:
But James and Pak both said they were voting JSP


:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:54 am 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:12 am
Posts: 19588
Highscores: 1
conscience wrote:
Not that I've heard the album in question.... but I think not!!


I'm not saying it's better than thriller. But listen to something before casting judgement. :thumbup:

I went to school with Adele so it's terrific too see she's doing so well.

_________________
Because I'm young enough to be all pi**ed off
But I'm old enough to be jaded
I'm at the age where I want things to change
But with age my hopes have faded


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:46 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:28 pm
Posts: 11549
Highscores: 12
Spawny wrote:
Yeah... but... it's not better than Thriller!! Actually that is, of course, an entirely subjective topic. To me, Adele is alright, but nothing special.

Commercial success is easily measured, that's a given, but there is a lot more to consider than that.

For example, did kids in the 80 have enough money to go and buy an album (I would think no)? Was there as much air-time given to individual songs (there were certainly less radio stations)? Did everyone have a personal music device (no, you borrowed tapes from your mates)?

Some kids might not have had the money to buy an album back then, but now they have the facility to get albums for free :shrug:

_________________
Erik The Viking wrote:
I personally hope Corden dies in a house fire.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:00 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 11695
Highscores: 1
Serbinator wrote:
Spawny wrote:
Yeah... but... it's not better than Thriller!! Actually that is, of course, an entirely subjective topic. To me, Adele is alright, but nothing special.

Commercial success is easily measured, that's a given, but there is a lot more to consider than that.

For example, did kids in the 80 have enough money to go and buy an album (I would think no)? Was there as much air-time given to individual songs (there were certainly less radio stations)? Did everyone have a personal music device (no, you borrowed tapes from your mates)?

Some kids might not have had the money to buy an album back then, but now they have the facility to get albums for free :shrug:


Valid point, that's no doubt cost sales too.

Still say Thriller is better :p

_________________
idontfeardeath wrote:
Spawny wrote:
But James and Pak both said they were voting JSP


:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:08 pm 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:56 am
Posts: 7998
Location: 52 Festive Road
Highscores: 6
I think it's a faily even comparison, kids download for free, in the days of thriller one person would buy the album and everyone would put it onto cassette.

I've not heard Adele's album but she has a great voice for sure. But different to Winehouse I'd say. She really was something else.

I have no idea about music any more, I feel it's all passed me by now and I just spend my time listening to my old stuff. I'd like to get some new things but my taste has changed so much.

I used to be into the Charlatons, Stone Roses, Suede etc. I also have a lot of old Rennaissance type stuff, Rampling, Digweed etc, and then the Prodigy, Marley. So a fairly mixed bag.

But I just cant get into any of these modern bands. I'm thinking I might listen to some old blues and stuff but I don't know where to get started.
I'm finding I like the old 50's stuff too, which reminds me to listen again to Richard Hawley last night.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:10 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 11695
Highscores: 1
Mr Carrot wrote:
in the days of thriller one person would buy the album and everyone would put it onto cassette.


Or you'd wait by the stereo to try and record your favourite single off of the radio, hoping the DJ didn't talk over the intro :lol: those were the days.

_________________
idontfeardeath wrote:
Spawny wrote:
But James and Pak both said they were voting JSP


:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:17 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 31162
Location: Milton Keynes
Fair play she's a big star worldwide and not because she appeared on some reality TV show to get famous.

As far as I'm aware she also writes most of her own stuff and whenever she does interviews she comes across as a nice enough girl. It's a shame that she's had to take a break due to a problem with her throat that effects her voice and she obviously wrote a lot of that stuff when she was in a bad place pretty similar to Winehouse but now her life seems to be in a better place can she follow it up.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:21 pm 
Offline
General
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 17205
Location: Over there.
Highscores: 2
idontfeardeath wrote:
conscience wrote:
Not that I've heard the album in question.... but I think not!!


I'm not saying it's better than thriller. But listen to something before casting judgement. :thumbup:

I went to school with Adele so it's terrific too see she's doing so well.


I did look it up on YouTube, somebody posted the whole album as one video, and to my slight surprise I had heard at least the first one before, and it was OK, alright, not bad but not great imo. Each to their own.

What struck me though was the fact that Jacko, love him or hate him, had a talent, a knack of well written, well performed, well danced etc. songs that all ouzed a certain quality like the very best artists tend to do... whether you're talking about Queen or Sabbath or Madonna they all had it. I just don't hear it in Adele, there's no distinctive sound - I'd never heard of her despite hearing some of the songs before, she sounded just like so many others out there in pop today that it never even occurred to me she was anybody new.

Don't get me wrong, there's clearly plenty of fans of this brand of pop, it's just not my thing. Best of luck to her though.

_________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Image
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:41 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:28 pm
Posts: 11549
Highscores: 12
To be fair Con, you seem quite out of the loop on most things non-techie related :lol:

See videos of her live and she seems to have genuine talent and puts a lot of emotion into her music. As far as I know she writes all her own stuff as well. Only thing she doesn't do is dance.

I don't like comparisons between her and Amy Winehouse because she was a f**king disgusting trampy drug addicted piece of sh*t. Not a fan.

_________________
Erik The Viking wrote:
I personally hope Corden dies in a house fire.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:46 pm 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:56 am
Posts: 7998
Location: 52 Festive Road
Highscores: 6
Serbinator wrote:
To be fair Con, you seem quite out of the loop on most things non-techie related :lol:

See videos of her live and she seems to have genuine talent and puts a lot of emotion into her music. As far as I know she writes all her own stuff as well. Only thing she doesn't do is dance.

I don't like comparisons between her and Amy Winehouse because she was a f**king disgusting trampy drug addicted piece of sh*t. Not a fan.


Her voice was amazing though, real old school.

Adele's is pretty good too mind you.

Both Brit school weren't they.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:47 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:12 am
Posts: 19588
Highscores: 1
Do you like Adele Serb? That would surprise me.

She's undoubtedly got talent. Her ex tried to take her to court for money as he contributed to her writing the songs.

His contribution was being a c*nt and cheating on her. :lol:

_________________
Because I'm young enough to be all pi**ed off
But I'm old enough to be jaded
I'm at the age where I want things to change
But with age my hopes have faded


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:50 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:28 pm
Posts: 11549
Highscores: 12
Yeah I love a bit of Adele - that's what I'm talking about, she has appeal to everyone.

Can only imagine how much tickets to see her in concert are going to sell for when she next comes back over here!

_________________
Erik The Viking wrote:
I personally hope Corden dies in a house fire.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:34 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Posts: 41339
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Highscores: 3
Conscience wrote:
how they can rate music by cash earned.


Conscience wrote:
well danced songs

:blink: is that how we rate music.... was it 'well danced'
<--- Not well danced

<--- Well Danced

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Adele's 21 overtakes sales of Thriller
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:54 pm 
Offline
General
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 17205
Location: Over there.
Highscores: 2
idontfeardeath wrote:
She's undoubtedly got talent. Her ex tried to take her to court for money as he contributed to her writing the songs.

His contribution was being a c*nt and cheating on her. :lol:


Deary me. :lol:

_________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Image
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron