AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Dawn Of An New Era (hopefully)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:59 pm 
Private First Class
Private First Class

remember obama and how he looked yesterday and what he will look like in 4 yrs :ohmy:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:46 pm 
Captain
Captain

If some redneck doeasnt shoot him before then

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
This is a peculiar topic and I wonder if the U.S. had weeks of press coverage when Gordon Brown took over.

Is all the press coverage just because Bush was such an unpopular president? Would the coverage have been the same McCain got in?
Or is all this just becasue he's a black man. If so that racist, and has no bearing on how succesful a president he will be.

Why are so many people pinning their hopes on him, just because he's black does not necessarily mean he is completely different than all that have preceded him.

To me he's just another politician, doesn't matter what race, colour or sex they are, they are the same. I don't expect there will be any radical changes and certainly not over here.

I hope he's succesful and makes some changes, he seems like a nice bloke but he's not exactly going to come accross like a monster when he's trying to win an election is he.

Like all politicians he's going to have to work with certain paramaters and confines that will restrict his wishes.

Personally I think whoever was president at the time, they would have invaded Iraq at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:09 pm 
Captain
Captain

I think its more because hes turned up at this time, making the kind of promises hes made, its more about how Americans fel about themselves and how we do to, and the fact that hes managed by some fluke of timing to tap into that mood, not just over there but all over the world.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:21 pm 
Captain
Captain

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Barack Obama's new administration ordered all federal agencies and departments on Tuesday to stop any pending regulations until they can be reviewed by incoming staff, halting last-minute Bush orders in their tracks.

"This afternoon, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel signed a memorandum sent to all agencies and departments to stop all pending regulations until a legal and policy review can be conducted by the Obama administration," the White House said in a statement issued just hours after Obama took office.

The review is a tool commonly used by a new administration to delay so-called "midnight regulations" put in place by a former president between the election and Inauguration Day.

Midnight regulations have been heavily used by recent former presidents, including the Democrat Bill Clinton, Republican George H. W. Bush, and most recently, the Republican George W. Bush.

Controversial late rules by the outgoing Bush administration include allowing the carrying of concealed weapons in some national parks and prohibiting medical facilities from receiving federal money for discriminating against doctors and nurses who refuse to assist with abortions or dispense contraceptives based on religious grounds.

Federal law requires a 60-day waiting period before any major regulatory changes become law, so some presidents try to publish new major regulations to ensure they go into effect before the new president's inauguration on January 20.

(Reporting by Tabassum Zakaria; Editing by Patricia Zengerle)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:39 pm 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
There's a number of things Mr C.

It's not just because he's black, you've got considered the history of America in regards to race? As Obama pointed out in his speech, his father wouldn't have been served certain restaurants 40 years ago. Now his son holds the highest office in the country. Something I don't think anyone would have thought could happen in such a short time since the civil rights act in the 60's.

The bush adminstration is seen by many in America from all spectrums as a disaster from a domestic point of view and also regarding foreign policy. The economic downturn happened under his watch, which is effecting peoples pockets, etc. Obama's new ideas, style of politics and the way he's put it across, to try and solve these problems, has given the people a lot of hope.

So there's alot of hype atm, pretty impossible to live up to. Lets hope he can do a better job than the last guy :p

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
breakingintoheaven wrote:
Lets hope he can do a better job than the last guy :p

Brian Belo could do better than the last guy

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:20 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6

It's not just because he's black, you've got considered the history of America in regards to race? As Obama pointed out in his speech, his father wouldn't have been served certain restaurants 40 years ago. Now his son holds the highest office in the country. Something I don't think anyone would have thought could happen in such a short time since the civil rights act in the 60's.

I realise this and acknowledge how great this is for America, we forget how cosmopolitan we are here. It's a great step forward as far as race relations in America goes. Especially as parts of the U.S. are backwards thinking on this subject.

The point I'm trying to make, that doesn't necessarily mean he's going make a great president and change the world. He's just a man, not a black man, not a mixed race man, not a white man, not a gay man, not a straight man etc, etc. All of these things have no relation to his presidentship. All the hype I'm seeing is people think he's going to be revolutionary because he's the first black president. But the two are not related.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:30 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
Mr Carrot wrote:
The point I'm trying to make, that doesn't necessarily mean he's going make a great president and change the world. He's just a man, not a black man, not a mixed race man, not a white man, not a gay man, not a straight man etc, etc. All of these things have no relation to his presidentship. All the hype I'm seeing is people think he's going to be revolutionary because he's the first black president. But the two are not related.

I think most of those who think he is going to be a good President do so for a number of reasons, including -

1. Blind hope caused out of the despair induced by the gross ineptitude of the last eight years
2. The fact that Obama has been elected despite being black and having to defeat the Democratic 'royal family'
3. His obvious skills
4. His policy statements to date that have distinguished him from the other candidates

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:34 pm 
Major
Major

I hear what you're saying. But I don't see that people are thinking he's going to be some sort of superman because he's black. I think there's alot of hype due to the reason I was saying in my last post. It's a combination of reasons imo and he's a hell of a speaker.

I remember a similar hype went around when Blair got Labour back in power in '97, after years of unpopular tory governments.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:35 pm 
Captain
Captain

Mr Carrot wrote:

I realise this and acknowledge how great this is for America, we forget how cosmopolitan we are here. It's a great step forward as far as race relations in America goes. Especially as parts of the U.S. are backwards thinking on this subject.

Its not just because hes the first black president, as I said earlier, its the promises he has made, the way he made them and the timing. Also he's a very clever man and a top accademic (ever watch idocracy)? So the Americans and a lot of other people all over the world who know that the health of their own economies are intrinsically linked to the performance of the American economy see that heres a very smart man who is saying the right things at the right time and is hiring the right kind of people too it would seem. Therefore he must be able to save them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:40 pm 
Captain
Captain

I hear what you're saying. But I don't see that people are thinking he's going to be some sort of superman because he's black. I think there's alot of hype due to the reason I was saying in my last post. It's a combination of reasons imo and he's a hell of a speaker.

I remember a similar hype went around when Blair got Labour back in power in '97, after years of unpopular tory governments.

the thing with Blair is his government achieved a lot more than its given credit for but people were expecting the results of 40 years of our national infrastructure being run down to be overturned overnight and of course the Tories had left so many obstacles in the way. Such as the way they sold off the railways for instance, and we;re still years from having repaired all the damage they caused there. Obama has I think learned that lesson and made it clear that its a long hard slog to repair the damage.

hes not a superman, but if people are patient and do their bit he will make a difference. having said that I wanted Hilary for President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:46 pm 
Major
Major

Why did you want Hiliary Mr Spock?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:56 pm 
Captain
Captain

I saw Obama as being all presentation and no substance. She on the other hand has lots of experience and can draw heavily on Bills experience, and he wasnt a bad president.

Of course I note and understand all the reasons wht Obama is seen by the Americans as the answer and hope he can do what he hopes. Im being neutral on that. As I said if you want a good idea of what they expect from him, watch Idocracy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:25 pm 
Private First Class
Private First Class

as an american i really am on the fence with obama . my main concern is that the hype will be far greater than the substance. we ,as a country need obama to be as good as advertised or even better . lets see how he does in his first 3 months then we'll come back and have a good ole chat about it. its going to be a bumpy ride so hang on

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Killian Red wrote:
as a country need obama to be as good as advertised or even better.

I think that's the shame..... Bush dug a hole so deep, that Obama could be the greatest ever US President and still not get America out of the mess politically, ethically, environmentally and economically

...It's like starting Usain Bolt 100m behind everyone else in the 200m and saying 'go on son, impress me'

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:36 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Why are people falling for it anyway?

Bloke's a politician. They're all the same, except some are more incompetent than others.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:28 pm 
Major
Major

US President Barack Obama is expected to sign an executive order to close the Guantanamo Bay prison within a year.

A draft order circulated on Wednesday also called for halting military trials in the prison, where terror suspects had been held for years without trial.

Separate orders are expected to ban abusive interrogations and review the detention of terror suspects.

On his first full day in office on Wednesday, Mr Obama issued orders on government ethics and transparency.

The measures included curbs on lobbying and a pay freeze for senior White House staff. Federal employees will have to sign up to new ethics procedures.

Later Mr Obama and his advisers are expected to discuss the global economic downturn affecting the US and also the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

Sworn again

Late on Wednesday, a panel in the House of Representatives gave its support to a $358bn government spending package, giving the first post-inaugural backing to the Democrats' economic plans.

Mr Obama - who was sworn in as America's new president on Tuesday - said he was beginning "a new era of openness" in government.

He was sworn in for a second time late on Wednesday, because one word had been out of order when the oath was first administered.

The White House said the ceremony had been repeated in an "abundance of caution".

On Wednesday, the US Senate confirmed the appointment of Hillary Clinton as secretary of state.

Senators earlier approved six Cabinet members, including Janet Napolitano as homeland security secretary and Steven Chu as energy secretary. Several other positions are still to be confirmed.

Trials suspended

The draft executive order on the Guantanamo Bay in Cuba was circulated by the Obama administration on Wednesday.

"The detention facilities at Guantanamo for individuals covered by this order shall be closed as soon as practicable, and no later than one year from the date of this order," the draft read.

It says anyone still in detention when the prison is shut "shall be returned to their home country, released, transferred to a third country or transferred to another United States detention facility".

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a White House official said the order would be signed on Thursday.

Mr Obama has repeatedly promised to close the Guantanamo Bay, where some 250 inmates accused of having links to terrorism remain and 21 cases are pending.

On Wednesday, judges suspended several of the military trials of terror suspects at Guantanamo, at Mr Obama's request. One trial involved several men accused in the 11 September attacks in the US.

The legal process has been widely criticised because the US military acts as jailer, judge and jury, the BBC's Jonathan Beale reports from Guantanamo.

However, closing Guantanamo Bay will not be easy, he says. Questions remain over where those charged will be tried and where those freed can be safely sent.

On Thursday, Mr Obama is also expected to issue a separate executive order banning abusive interrogation techniques such as waterboarding - a form of simulating drowning used by the CIA.

The president is also expected to order a review of America's detention policies, a White House official said.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:58 pm 
Private First Class
Private First Class

It's A Fair Kop wrote:
Why are people falling for it anyway?

Bloke's a politician. They're all the same, except some are more incompetent than others.

i havent :blink: the expectations across the globe are huge , just feel we are all going to be let down :no: . i feel its the wrong time to have such an inexperienced man at the helm. he already is facing stiff opposition from within his own party concerning new legislature

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:20 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

At least we know what he's into now..