Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Explosions on Finish Line of the Boston Marathon
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:43 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Not kidding about the slow release of info.

It's either tributes or live video/text coverage with random snippets of comment, how people are coping, etc. but very few actual facts.

EG There's a video/pictures of the bomb here:

Click The Link...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9999589/Boston-Marathon-bombing-FBI-reveals-details-of-bombs.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... bombs.html

"Appear to be fragments", "Possibly contained", "could be a back pack" - doesn't sound like they have much idea what it was. So why publish pictures of it? Where's the news? :blink:

And it's all going back to FBI HQ, don't know if this is normal procedure or not. But IF they may be involved, surely you'd want an independent lab testing the evidence rather than handing it all over to a potential suspect? And I said IF. But given the judge's comments I'd have thought they were the last people who should be investigating it. :dunno:

Don't terrorists normally claim responsibility for their attacks? They're not making their point if it's an anonymous attack. Plus it's small scale for a terror attack imo. There was more terror than actual killing.

Maybe it's just too soon, but you'd have thought a clearer picture would have to emerge at some point? Police commissioner Ed Davis said police were going over the route/finish line with a "fine toothed comb" so we shouldn't have to wait too long hopefully.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:01 pm 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

A lot of the mis information is down to the 24 hr news cycle, everyone is clamoring to be "first" they go with any information they get that has even a sliver of truth to it. Then there's all this false information out there that the conspiracy theorists can point to and say "yeah but CNN reported that this or that happened". I don't have any better idea what happened Monday than the next guy, and Cons I wasn't pointing fingers at you when I said "conspiracy theorists"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:06 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
The James wrote:
A lot of the mis information is down to the 24 hr news cycle, everyone is clamoring to be "first" they go with any information they get that has even a sliver of truth to it. Then there's all this false information out there that the conspiracy theorists can point to and say "yeah but CNN reported that this or that happened". I don't have any better idea what happened Monday than the next guy, and Cons I wasn't pointing fingers at you when I said "conspiracy theorists"

This is true, like all the transfer rumours. Just say anything to fill space.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:39 pm 
General
General

The James wrote:

Yeah I know, no worries. I do enjoy a good conspiracy like others might enjoy a mystery... they're not all just theories, but nor is everything a conspiracy and tbf I haven't seen anyone say anything about this explosion being one.

You're probably right RE the TV news trying to do 24/7 news when they don't actually know anything, or maybe it's not being released for security reasons until they've finished investigating? I don't know, I was just expecting more info before now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:15 pm 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

If they have a suspect, which some reports say they do, releasing more information would just make them run or do something else stupid.

They have released information about the devices used though

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:57 am 
Colonel
Colonel

James as our resident American, and all round good egg, would you say this is an Internal "Terrorist/Enemy of State" or an external threat? Is it not a little coincidental that it was Tax year end (or whatever it had to do with Tax day?). I'm not saying that it's a gun nut or anything like that. Just thinking back to Oklahoma, where the focus was on internal straight away, like it was known it couldn't have been an external threat.

I kind of back Obama's decision to not say it was terrorists. As in most cases it is the publicity and loss of life they want connected to them. By denying the word's use, he has taken a bit of power from the perpertrator. It was how the "troubles" in Norn Iron were handled here towards the end, whilst the peace process was gathering pace.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:07 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Officials investigating the Boston Marathon bombings say they have found images of a potential suspect from surveillance camera footage.

Boston City Council President Stephen Murphy said a man was seen dropping off a bag at the scene on Monday.

Earlier, the FBI denied reports that a suspect had been arrested.

Three people died in the twin blasts. President Obama is due to visit Boston on Thursday for a service honouring the victims.

More than 170 people were wounded and dozens remain in hospital, many of them seriously injured.

Mr Murphy said detectives had spotted the potential suspect in surveillance footage from a nearby store, AP news agency reported.

He said he didn't know if investigators had identified the man, but added: "They may be on the verge of arresting someone and that's good."

A planned FBI news conference outlining the progress of the investigation was postponed on Wednesday afternoon.

Earlier, police and journalists arrived at a courthouse in Boston amid confusion over whether a suspect had been held in connection with the attacks.

"Contrary to widespread reporting, there have been no arrests made in connection with the Boston marathon attack," the FBI said in a statement.

"Over the past day and a half, there have been a number of press reports based on information from unofficial sources that has been inaccurate."

The Associated Press reported that the anonymous law enforcement official who was the news agency's source for the report that someone was in custody had insisted it was true, even as it was widely disputed.

President Barack Obama, who plans to attend an interfaith service on Thursday in honour of the victims in Boston, labelled the attack an act of terrorism.

Investigators have been sifting through thousands of pieces of evidence, ranging from video recorded on mobile phones to fragments of shrapnel removed from the victims' legs.

Officials said a circuit board and battery pack - parts of a triggering mechanism - had been recovered and the lid of a pressure cooker, apparently blown off during the explosion, was found on the roof of a nearby building.

The bombs are believed to have consisted of explosives placed in 1.6-gallon (6-litre) pressure cookers, one with shards of metal and ball bearings, the other with nails.

Nobody has claimed responsibility for the bombs, which a source said had been placed in black bags and left on the ground.

The twin blasts killed Martin Richard, eight, Krystle Campbell, 29, and Lu Lingzi, a postgraduate student from China.

Doctors treating the wounded say their injuries indicate that the bombs contained metal shards and other shrapnel. A number of victims have had limbs amputated.

Boston Medical Center trauma surgery chief Peter Burke said hospitals were saving "large quantities" of fragments extracted from victims for the police. They include metal, plastic, wood and concrete.

"We have a lot of lower extremity injuries, so I think the damage was low to the ground and wasn't up," Dr Burke said.

"The patients who do have head injuries were blown into things or were hit by fragments that went up."

At least 58 of the injured have been released from various hospitals around the city, according to AP.

Of those that remain, a five-year-old child, a nine-year-old girl and 10-year-old boy were among 17 victims listed as in a critical condition.

The first explosion went off close to the finish line at about 14:50 local time (18:50 GMT) on Monday.

Seconds later, as rescuers were rushing to help the injured, another explosion went off nearby.

The London Marathon - the next major international marathon - is to go ahead on Sunday, with police saying they have well-rehearsed security plans.

Organisers have said they will hold a 30-second silence at the start as a mark of respect.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:44 pm 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

the nut's named eric wrote:
James as our resident American, and all round good egg, would you say this is an Internal "Terrorist/Enemy of State" or an external threat? Is it not a little coincidental that it was Tax year end (or whatever it had to do with Tax day?). I'm not saying that it's a gun nut or anything like that. Just thinking back to Oklahoma, where the focus was on internal straight away, like it was known it couldn't have been an external threat.

I kind of back Obama's decision to not say it was terrorists. As in most cases it is the publicity and loss of life they want connected to them. By denying the word's use, he has taken a bit of power from the perpertrator. It was how the "troubles" in Norn Iron were handled here towards the end, whilst the peace process was gathering pace.

This feels internal to me. It was tax day, but what makes it feel internal is the timing. If the person was trying to kill the most people possible they wouldn't have waited until hours after the real competitors were finish. By that I mean the people who can actually win the thing, god bless anyone that can run 26 miles. When the devices detonated its all old people and housewives finishing up. A guy I used to work with sister was running she finished about 20 mins before the explosions and was about 100 yds. away, she's fine though, shaken obviously, but physically fine.

Or

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:33 pm 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

The FBI just concluded a press conference where they released photos of the two suspects

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:04 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Policeman shot dead and explosions at the university

Possible link?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:44 am 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

Mr Carrot wrote:

Possible link?

The early reports seem to point to yes, but I'd wait and see myself.

Also I have no idea why I wrote "or" and then nothing else in that earlier post :doh:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:49 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

The James wrote:
Mr Carrot wrote:

Possible link?

The early reports seem to point to yes, but I'd wait and see myself.

Also I have no idea why I wrote "or" and then nothing else in that earlier post :doh:

I've been waiting 12 hours for the big finale and it was a typo :rant: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:55 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
One Boston Marathon suspect has been shot dead, and the other is on the run outside the city, police said today.

A massive manhunt is now under way for another suspect, following the fatal shooting of a police officer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology late last night.

One of the suspects was killed in a car chase and shootout in Watertown, which is around six miles from Boston city centre.

Police said the at-large suspect is believed to be a terrorist and is said to be 'armed and dangerous'.

Police had been conducting door-to-door searches in the hunt for the killer of a police officer shot dead at a Massachusetts university in Boston.

An officer had been responding to a report of a disturbance on Thursday night when he was shot multiple times.

The officer, who was not immediately identified, was taken to a hospital where he later died from his multiple gunshot wounds.

Boston Police commissioner Ed Davis said: "What we are looking for right now is a suspect consistent with the description of suspect number two - the white-capped individual who was involved in Monday's bombing of the Boston Marathon.

He is described as light-skinned with brown wavy hair and dressed in a grey hooded top.

"You have seen the picture, You all have it. That's the individual we are looking for at this moment."

A message on the Massachusetts Institute Of Technology (MIT) website earlier described the incident as "active and extremely dangerous" as police swept the campus in Cambridge - nine miles west of Boston city centre.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:40 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

These crazies are trying to go out with as big a bang as possible - you bomb a public place killing ppl, then in a few days you go on a robbing spree?!

Hope they catch the other brother quickly. So an "internal" terrosit act so to speak as they are from Chechyna - guess they picked up those bomb tips from the old country..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:05 pm 
General
General

Quote:
NBC are reporting that the two suspects were "foreign nationals" who were "here legally".

It has also been suggested that they may have had military training.

It didn't look much like a military operation to me. The response does though:

btw all quotes from
Click The Link...http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/live-boston-bombing-suspect-killed-1840713
Source: Mirror.co.uk

Quote:
9.42am

The MIT officer had been responding to report of a disturbance when he was shot multiple times, according to a statement from the Middlesex district attorney's office and Cambridge police. It said there were no other victims.

In Watertown, witnesses reported hearing multiple gunshots and explosions at about 1am Friday.

State police spokesman David Procopio said: "The incident in Watertown did involve what we believe to be explosive devices possibly, potentially, being used against the police officers."

9.37am

The Middlesex District Attorney’s office said that the suspect taken into custody was pronounced dead at a hospital.

The DA said the two men are suspected of killing an MIT police officer at the college, then stealing a car at gunpoint and later releasing its driver unharmed.

Authorities say the suspects threw explosives from the car as police followed it into Watertown.

The suspects and police are believed to have exchanged gunfire and one of the suspects was critically injured and later died.

9.29am

Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis on the suspect on the loose: "We believe this man to be a terrorist. We believe he came here to kill people."

The second suspect is feared to have an explosive device strapped to his chest.

Unconfirmed reports coming from police scanners are suggesting the first suspect had an explosive device on his chest.

So it's gone from finding pieces of a small, low-tech, home-made pressure cooker based bomb that was inexpertly timed to cause maximum damage... to bombs on chests and automatic gunfire from military trained expert suicide bombers? That's quite a leap!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:33 pm 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

The pictures coming out of Boston today of a major metropolitan city looking like a ghost town are down right eerie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:24 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
A huge scale military operation deploying hundreds of armed police officers and SWAT team members - a whole city in lockdown - to find a 19 year old kid.

Bit of an overreaction, no? :shrug:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:23 pm 
Major General
Major General

Yes .. No .. Yes for over reaction NO cause they want no more harm done to people..
Same day 45 were killed in iraq bombing but its :coffee:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:32 pm 
Major General
Major General

Police believe Dzhokhar Tsarnaev fled on foot. No indication he has a vehicle.

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:34 pm 
Major General
Major General

They can make a movie out of this ..