All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Clarkson gets Public Sector Workers and himself mixed up
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:30 am 
Captain
Captain

Jeremy Clarkson Calls For Strikers To Be Shot
Sky News – 01 12 2011

Jeremy Clarkson Calls For Strikers To Be Shot

The BBC has been forced to apologise after Jeremy Clarkson said he would like to see striking public sector workers "shot" in front of their families (when oddly enough, most of the population of the UK, Mexico and many other countries, truck drivers too would love to have him taken out and shot).
The Top Gear presenter made his comments on BBC's The One Show on the evening (for which no doubt he was paid more than most public sector workers get paid in a year)
of Britain's biggest public sector strikes in 30 years.
He said of the strikers: "I'd have them all shot. I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families.
"I mean, how dare they go on strike when they've got these gilt-edged pensions that are going to be guaranteed while the rest of us have to work for a living." (he said forgetting that hes more likeley to have a gilt edged pension than they and we have already paid for it through our TV licence fees)
Clarkson's comments caused an immediate uproar on Twitter, with hundreds joining the backlash.
Chat show host Piers Morgan tweeted: "Clarkson can abuse - and hit (weakly..) - me all he likes. But what he said about the strikers just proves he's a nasty little twerp."
Author Tony Parsons tweeted: "Jeremy Clarkson has misjudged the moment. Criticising striking public sector workers today is like sieg-heiling at Last Night of the Proms."
KateakaMrsO tweeted: "First time I have ever complained about a programme, as I usually think people can use off button but Jeremy Clarkson a disgrace."
A BBC spokesman said The One Show made an on-air apology at the end of the show to "viewers who may have been offended by Jeremy Clarkson's comments".
Jon Trickett , Labour's shadow minister for the Cabinet Office, said: "No one wants these strikes but most of today's strikers are mums, not militants.
"Clarkson should apologise. And the Prime Minister should make clear he disassociates himself from the distasteful remarks uttered by one of his friends."

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Clarkson gets Public Sector Workers and himself mixed up
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:11 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Who would have Clarkson shot?

The headteacher at one of the local schools has been forced to issue an apology after comparing the kids on the only estate around here to those in Romania that make shoes :lol:

But with age my hopes have faded

Last edited by idontfeardeath on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:15 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
I mean, how dare they go on strike when they've got these gilt-edged pensions that are going to be guaranteed while the rest of us have to work for a living." (he said forgetting that hes more likeley to have a gilt edged pension than they and we have already paid for it through our TV licence fees)

I imagine he's talking here for the common man/woman in the private sector.

I don't like Clarkson but I agree with him, I think they've got a damn right cheek to strike in the current ecconomic crisis.

I 've copper friends who are moaning that their pensions are going to change, yet they still clock overtime for no apparant good reason.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:16 am 
Captain
Captain

idontfeardeath wrote:
Who would have Clarkson shot?

The headteacher at one of the local schools has been forced to issue an apology after comparing the kids on the only estate around here to those in Romania that make shoes :lol:

He would have all the striking civil servants shot, in front of their families.

As for the head teacher, that was stupid, but bearing in mind the way some kids behave at school these days and that their parents go into school (mum still wearing her pyjamas) and make threats when little Johny has been told off for bullying, or swearing at a teacher, its hardly surprising that sometimes teachers lose their marbles and make such comments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:18 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
A TEACHER at the Ashcombe School has been criticised for comparing a deprived region of Romania to a Dorking housing estate.

Pupils were watching a video about the school's charity work, which includes sending Christmas shoeboxes full of gifts to impoverished children in Romania, when the comments were made.

Michelle and Kevin Miller, who live in Chart Downs, told the Advertiser their 15-year-old son was in the class when the "indefensible" remarks were made.

Mrs Miller said: "They were watching the Romanian shoe appeal and the teacher said 'If you think Chart Downs and Goodwyns are rough, this is much worse', and of course with that all the kids started laughing because they know our son is the only one from the estate."

Mr and Mrs Miller made an official complaint to the school and met with the head teacher, David Blow.

Mr Blow apologised for the comments, but the couple say he asked them to retract a letter they had already sent to the Advertiser.

Mr Miller said: "As soon as I mentioned that I had gone to the papers he sent our son out of the room and said it would be worse for him (if we pursued the story).

"I don't see how, as the damage had already been done."

Mr Miller says he then received a phone call from councillor Derrick Burt (Lib Dem, Dorking North), also urging him to retract the complaint.

He said: "I feel very strongly about this.

"Just because we are ordinary common-sense people they think they can just brush it under the table.

"What the teacher said was outrageous. The teachers have said sorry but it is indefensible."

The couple say they have accepted the school's apology following the incident on October 31, but they are concerned about the underlying prejudice it showed.

Mr Miller said: "There are still views around that we have the child that comes from a council estate going nowhere, doing nothing.

"You can't go round saying things like that. I would usually let it go but this time it did annoy me because it's not a rough estate, it's a nice place to live."

In a statement to the Advertiser, Mr Blow said: "I met with the family to discuss the allegations and reached agreement that these were not the views of the teacher nor of the school."

Mr Burt said: "I live in Chart Downs and I don't like Chart Downs, compared to the worst areas of Romania.

"I think it was a stupid remark from somebody who has possibly regretted it ever since."

In all fairness people round here do think Chart Downs and Goodwyns are rough but I've walked up there and the idea of it being a rough estate is laughable!

I wouldn't mind shooting some of these people just to get rid of a few idiots in the world! :fonz:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:34 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's a tough one really as public sector workers in most cases took those jobs because of things like the pension they got a job that is probably lower paid than it is in the private sector because long term they get looked after. Although asking them to work a little longer and pay a little more isn't exactly the end of the world it's always a pointless fight when it comes to who works harder private or public sector as both are riddled with lazy sh*ts who don't pull their weight plus people who do way more than is required.

Clarkson has probably said a lot of that tongue in cheek and people have decided to create a sh*t storm out of it.

Basically people are being asked to work a little longer and pay more because no one seemed to realise that with people living longer into retirement that these sort of pensions aren't sustainable. They moan about bankers getting these crazy pensions but they're basically moaning on the same grounds. The bankers got themselves a great deal just like they did but those sort of pensions in the private sector are a thing of the past. I've been at my company for 8 years now and every year I ask about the pension scheme but get told they're not taking new people in.

Yes it's not fair that honest public sector workers have to pay for the debt problems the country has but what choice do we have we spend far to much money as a country so cuts have to be made

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:40 am 
Captain
Captain

Mr Carrot wrote:

I imagine he's talking here for the common man/woman in the private sector.

1. Public sector pensions are only really any good if you have a top job, like Clarkson, or the PM, or a Mandarin. My dad worked for the DSS, paid more than a third of his wages into his pension and gets sod all, then all his state pension benefits are reduced to take into account the pittance he gets. Its not gilt edged. And these changes will reduce the pensions the average paid civil servants get, make them pay more and work longer for that and wont hurt the high paid guys. Plus they took the jobs on the basis of these pensions and when most private sector pensions got rid of their final salary links they didnt take that from people who were already in the schemes like the Tories are doing with the civil servants
2. Just because your private sector pension was robbed by the company you work for doesnt mean its fair that public sector pensions should get robbed too, so that the bankers and millionaires dont have to pay for the economic problems that they caused. Neither should have been robbed, its like me complaining about my neighbours in Brinnington when I first had my own home because I got burgled and they didnt. Two wrongs don't make a right. Object to the thieves, not the people who are trying to prevent themselves from being robbed the same way you were.

3. At the moment Public Sector workers are actually paying more into their pension funds than public sector pensioners are taking out.

Mr Carrot wrote:
I don't like Clarkson but I agree with him, I think they've got a damn right cheek to strike in the current ecconomic crisis.

Thats totaly wrong, the problem is that the Government are robbing the poor and the middle to cushion the rich and its actually making the economy worse and we should all be doing our bit to stop them doing that. Whatever the lies that Torygraph and the Express and the Mail and the Murdoch papers are printing, the fact is that before the 2010 election, the economy was growing, the defecit (which by the way was lower than the defecit that Thatcher ran when she was tearing apart our manufacturing sector so her friends in the city could make fat profits out of asset stripping) and unemployment was falling. Then the Tories got in and they and their friends across Europe went on an orgy of cost cutting that has caused all these problems. The ones who have the Damned cheek are the Osbornes and the Call me Daves and the Clarksons of this world who continue to demand that we make sacrifices so that they dont have to.

Mr Carrot wrote:
I 've copper friends who are moaning that their pensions are going to change, yet they still clock overtime for no apparant good reason.

My sister in law is a copper, you can see her on You Tube walking around the bus that run into the bridge in Macclesfield a few months back, she clocks overtime too, she doesnt want to, but has to because even when theres nothing to do there still has to be a minimum number of coppers on duty so they can react quickly if something happens. I know plenty of private sector workers who book spurious overtime and the guys who are taking the pensions away dont have to work overtime to make ends meet or to keep you and I safe and arent making any of the sacrifices they are asking us to make.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:46 am 
Captain
Captain

JSP wrote:

Yes it's not fair that honest public sector workers have to pay for the debt problems the country has but what choice do we have we spend far to much money as a country so cuts have to be made

The cuts arent working, theyre wrecking the economy and making the defecit worse, and why should public sector workers pay for the bankers mistakes and the billions we had to pump into the banks. The banks should be paying.

Why should the ordinary worker in the street be asked to make sacrifices that his or her CEO and other execs (who will be earning more than most of the rest of the workforce combined) and the Millionaire Tories who are in Government arent making when they could easily afford to make more sacrifices in financial terms than the rest of us combined and miss it less.

Click The Link...http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/osbornes-impact-laid-bare-the-rich-get-richer-and-the-poor-get-poorer-6270235.html

Click The Link...http://www.newstatesman.com/economy/2011/12/osborne-growth-economy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:00 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
idontfeardeath wrote:
..."What the teacher said was outrageous. The teachers have said sorry but it is indefensible."

Jesus Christ, get a grip. Off to the c**t thread I go.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Spock wrote:
2. Just because your private sector pension was robbed by the company you work for doesnt mean its fair that public sector pensions should get robbed too, so that the bankers and millionaires dont have to pay for the economic problems that they caused. Neither should have been robbed, its like me complaining about my neighbours in Brinnington when I first had my own home because I got burgled and they didnt. Two wrongs don't make a right. Object to the thieves, not the people who are trying to prevent themselves from being robbed the same way you were.

Problem is those who created the problem don't have to face up to it they're long gone now the previous governments allowed all this to happen under their nose and failed to save anything for a rainy day. The whole idea of boom and bust cycles is during the boom years you try and save a bit to cover when things aren't so bad. Problem one we had 10 years of economic growth but still borrowed billions every year because banks would lend it to us. It's like me buying loads of stuff on the credit card then not being able to pay the bill and moaning when the debt collectors take away the TV.

How can you make a bank or millionaire pay for the problems they created if they did it all within the law? Obviously if they broke the law chase them down and make them pay anything they owe or send them to prison if you can.

The public sector of which I include government allowed this to happen so now they have to face the penalty. The company (UK Plc) claims they don't have the money to pay for these pensions so what are we supposed to do sit back and wait until it all goes tits up or try and do something about it.

I support the people who've gone on strike for standing up for themselves but it does seem they decided to strike before negotiations had reached a stand off. Striking will only anger the government & parts of the public which could see them getting a worse deal than was originally on offer.

I agree that lifes not fair the public sector shouldn't be forced to pay but how can you make a bank pay? They're a private business unless you change the law which you can't do retrospectively to punish them. The previous governments let this happen they didn't keep a check on the banks and allowed them to get away with to much. Greed took over and the enless credit lines meant people took huge risks to try and make a quick buck. Should the government have just let Northern Rock & RBS collapse putting 1000's out of work in a true capitalist system they should of been allowed to collapse. You can put laws in place to tax the banks now and make them pay back but as private businesses they're free to leave and setup elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

You can't tell me I'm totally wrong!

It is a bloody cheek, I have no pension at all and no pay rise for 3 years. The country is in the pap due the policies of the last labour government and we've all got to muck in to sort it out. Going on strike and costing the country Billions of pounds isn't going to help. If they don't like it, leave the job and one of the people on the dole can step in.

I hate all this "Tory did this" "Labour did this" all that means is people are so narrow minded that they support one party regrdless of their policies. I don't vote, I don't care who is in government, they are the same and the country ends up in the same mess regardless. I find it impossible to believe that one party disagrees with everything the other party says. It's illogical.

My parent have worked in the private sector all their life, have no pensions to speak of, have had to downsize their property just to afford to live. Have spent a bit of the little free money they have to come and visit us yesterday and very nearly lost that money because of the strikes.

Luckily it seems some people stepped in at the immigration at Gatwick.

I have no sympathy with them at all.

I hated it when I worked in London and the tube and transport went on strike. People who strike get right on my chuff.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:14 pm 
Captain
Captain

So the rich can run away and anyway, whilst it was bad for us they didnt break the law, so we make everyone else poor to pay for it and then punish the poor?

Its also not strictly true that every previous government let them get away with it through poor regulation.

Thatcher was responsible for de-regulation and then every attempt the last government made to beef up regulation of the financial sector was met with howls of protest that it would wreck the economy from the same people who are now criticising them for not reigning in the excesses that the Tory Government of 1979 to 1987 allowed and encouraged and then what they did manage to get through was hugely watered down thanks to the Tories and their friends, who now say that more should have been done, yet continue to resist attempts to reign the thieves in

Click The Link...http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2011/11/crisis-financial-statement

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:39 pm 
Captain
Captain

Mr Carrot wrote:
You can't tell me I'm totally wrong!

It is a bloody cheek, I have no pension at all and no pay rise for 3 years. The country is in the pap due the policies of the last labour government and we've all got to muck in to sort it out. Going on strike and costing the country Billions of pounds isn't going to help. If they don't like it, leave the job and one of the people on the dole can step in.

I have a very small pension that I pay for myself, that was worth a lot more a few years ago than it is now. I earn less than I did 4 years ago, so please dont preach to me. If you read the article I posted a link to from the New Statesman its just not true that the policies of the last Labour Government left us in a mess, its a lie by an idealogically inspired right wing Government, spoon fed to us by their cronies in the newspapers so that they can get away with stealing from the poor to give to the rich and we are not all mucking in anyway, the likes of you and I are being asked to make bigger sacrifices so that they dont have to. Just because you and I have been robbed it doesnt mean that others who have also been robbed already should lie down and let themselves be raped.

Mr Carrot wrote:
I hate all this "Tory did this" "Labour did this"

Yet you do that yourself in your very first sentence

Mr Carrot wrote:
all that means is people are so narrow minded that they support one party regrdless of their policies. I don't vote, I don't care who is in government, they are the same and the country ends up in the same mess regardless. I find it impossible to believe that one party disagrees with everything the other party says. It's illogical.

There are clear differences between the parties, Labour would have cut less, invested more, created jobs and got us out of the problems, whilst the Tories just cut for the sake of it and make the rest of us pay, but because people in this country are so stupid theres always a limit to how much any Labour Government can do, for instance they would never be allowed to reign in the banks properly, increase the minimum wage to a living level, scrap Trident and so on because the British people woulnt vote for them, so they make compromises - a state of affairs that Clem Atlee once refered to as the inevitability of gradualness.

Mr Carrot wrote:
My parent have worked in the private sector all their life, have no pensions to speak of, have had to downsize their property just to afford to live. Have spent a bit of the little free money they have to come and visit us yesterday and very nearly lost that money because of the strikes. Luckily it seems some people stepped in at the immigration at Gatwick.

I fail to see how the strike could possibly have lost all their money

My Dad worked half his career in the private sector, and half in the public sector, as a taxpayer I havent subsidised his miserley pension, he paid through the nose for it, my wife works in schools, she is poorly paid and more than a third of that goes to her pension, that if she gets it for 20 years will pay out less than she paid in. Ill repeat, at the moment public sector workers are paying more into the pension fund than public sector pensioners get paid. This isnt about public sector workers v private sector workers its about all workers against the thieves who get rich whilst we get poorer and then play us against each other so they can get away with it. We should all have better pensions and the hard work and time we sacrifice so that the likes of Steve jobs and Richard Branson and Call me Dave can get rich off our hard work should be better rewarded in that respect, we used to have a living state pension til Thatcher took that away

Mr Carrot wrote:
I have no sympathy with them at all.

I hated it when I worked in London and the tube and transport went on strike. People who strike get right on my chuff.

I have an alternative route into London, my local comuter coaches are cheaper and more comfortable than the combination of train and tube, but theres a difference between trots causing trouble and strikes on the Tube to undermine a Labour Government who arent going far enough for their liking and Public sector workers who go on strike because they are being raped and pillaged to pay for the Tories to rob the poor to pay the rich. Then again, workers going on strike gave you every right and freedom you now have, without strikes you and I would be working long hours in a sweat shop and living in a slum, without the coops and the labour movement we would have only been educated (and only for an hour or so a day at that) til we were 8 and have no health service. Strikes are an inconvenience, but unless you want the bosses to have the right to treat us however they want, there is no other alternative

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm 
Captain
Captain

Click The Link...http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david-blanchflower/2011/11/nothing-economics-european

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

No it's not right but you can't go back after the event and change the law that is totally wrong the law is the law introduce new laws to stop it happening again but because of the situation that had been created there's nothing we can do.

It's a problem we aren't going to get rid of the city's financial sector have the government by the nuts as we don't have a strong manufacturing economy or any raw materials we basically rely heavily on the services industry to support the economy. It's one of the few things we still export and because of it's nature they could up sticks tomorrow to another country who'll give them them better tax breaks and less regulation and there's not much we could do to stop it.

The key for any government tory or labour I have no real alliegence is to find ways of developing our manufacturing industry and helping it grow as the knock on effect will be it can create lots of jobs even if they are low paid which will help sort out other problems like youth unemployment.

Spock it's a bold statement to say the labour plan would of definitely worked we all know you're labour but there's no guarentee that plan would of worked. What I've learnt is that new government same as the old one they just go about it in a different way the rich continue to get richer and the poor continue to get poorer. People no matter which side of the fence they sit on are succeptible to greed and looking out for themselves very few politicians actually represent their people and have a deep feeling for the community most of them are career politicians.

Mistakes have been made on both sides the tories might of set it off (i have no idea if this is a fact) but the fact is Labour has 10 years in power to sort it out but seemed to turn a blind eye.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:48 pm 
Captain
Captain

Click The Link...http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david-blanchflower/2011/08/growth-imf-portugal-osborne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:01 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
does this mean a new series of Top Gear starts on Sunday? :blink:

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

For every left winger saying the right caused the problems, there is a right winger saying it's left.

It's ridiculous, they can't both be right.

Just because they are your views, that doesn't make them correct.

It's my view, not a fact, that regardless of who was in government it would be the same. We would still be in the pap, just brought about in a different fashion, and instead of you , there would be some right winger slagging the government off saying it wouldn't be like this if the Tories were in.

By the way, they would have lost their money because there was possibilty, slim as it may have been, that the delays could have meant the cancellation of their flight, or a huge a delay until the following day. They are only coming for a couple of days to bring the kids christmas presents over.

And I also know that "I did the very same in the first sentence" that's my point. For every person saying it's the coalitions fault, there is someone saying it's Labours fault.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:20 pm 
Captain
Captain

JSP wrote:
No it's not right but you can't go back after the event and change the law that is totally wrong the law is the law introduce new laws to stop it happening again but because of the situation that had been created there's nothing we can do.

Actually you can, its called retroactive legislation and the Tories used it rather a lot in the 1980s to penalise Labour Councillors for policies that they the Tories didnt like, but I didnt suggest jailing anyone, just making the bankers (and others such as company executives whos pay has soared in recent years whilst ours has dropped) pay their fair share rather than make those who can least afford it pay, for example you could tax large bonuses and any pay rises over a certain amount, rebalance council tax so that the rich pay more and ordinary families pay less, you could make the financial institutions reduce credit card, store card and other loan interest rates lower and ban charges, use quantitative easing to help families pay off their long term debts instead of to prop up the banks, (even tax the banks to pay for this) reduce VAT, increase the amount of money you have to earn before paying the 40% tax rate and increase the highest tax rate to pay for it.

JSP wrote:
It's a problem we aren't going to get rid of the city's financial sector have the government by the nuts as we don't have a strong manufacturing economy or any raw materials we basically rely heavily on the services industry to support the economy. It's one of the few things we still export and because of it's nature they could up sticks tomorrow to another country who'll give them them better tax breaks and less regulation and there's not much we could do to stop it.

Other countries arent giving them better tax breaks, they give them tax breaks to put their head offices there so that the tax breaks we are giving them is costing us more than they put into our economy and most of their profits go abroad in the form of faux service charges to head offices in tax havens so in reality we get less back than you would think.

JSP wrote:
The key for any government tory or labour I have no real alliegence is to find ways of developing our manufacturing industry and helping it grow as the knock on effect will be it can create lots of jobs even if they are low paid which will help sort out other problems like youth unemployment.

This is true, and the last Government was doing that, not well enough mind, but it was doing it, which this one isnt the economy grew and the defecit and unemployment dropped in the three quarters before the last general election. The Tories cut most of the investment projects (that were helping our Manufacturing Industry) and put nothing in its place. They had a scheme to reduce youth unemployment that the Tories scrapped, we do need to ho further though, we need to find ways to get companies like Dyson to bring their manufacturing back here.

JSP wrote:
Spock it's a bold statement to say the labour plan would of definitely worked we all know you're labour but there's no guarentee that plan would of worked. What I've learnt is that new government same as the old one they just go about it in a different way the rich continue to get richer and the poor continue to get poorer. People no matter which side of the fence they sit on are succeptible to greed and looking out for themselves very few politicians actually represent their people and have a deep feeling for the community most of them are career politicians.

It WAS WORKING read the articles from David Blanchflower that I posted, remember that the economy was growing, had been for the previous 3 quarters the defecit was falling and so was unemployment.
The rich were getting richer even under Labour and that was a disapointment. BUT the poor werent getting poorer, they took a million children out of poverty, a trend which by the way the policies of the current Government has halted and reversed.

JSP wrote:
Mistakes have been made on both sides the tories might of set it off (i have no idea if this is a fact) but the fact is Labour has 10 years in power to sort it out but seemed to turn a blind eye.

Of course Labour had ten years to sort out the mistakes of Thatcher, frankly ten years to rebuild 18 years of destruction really isnt enough, its easier to wreck an economy than to rebuild and its true that Labour was too timid and didnt go far enough, BUT we would have had a Tory Government even more right wing than this one after 4 years of Labour(or more likeley no Labour Government) if they had followed the policies that they should have followed.

We as a nation are too scared of alienating the financial sector that continues to drain us dry We are a nation of inventors and inovators, lets give the subsidies that we have been giving to the city to the inventors of new technologies to get them built here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I thought they just all done the same thing under a different name now days. Slag off the opposition party and rip off the public.