AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: NOTW is no more
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:46 pm 
Captain
Captain

The senior detective leading the phone hacking inquiry said on Thursday that there were 4,000 possible victims of phone hacking listed in the pages of private eye Glenn Muclaire's notebooks and they were being contacted "as quickly as possible".

Deputy assistant commissioner Sue Akers, who is running Operation Weeting, broke her silence to give more details on her operation as the number of victims being publicly identified continued to grow.

Her words are the first official confirmation of what the Guardian reported two years ago – that thousands of people were listed as possible victims in the notebooks of Mulcaire, who was hired by the News of the World. These individuals were not contacted by detectives investigating phone hacking in the first inquiry, known as the Goodman inquiry. The Guardian's original story in 2009 suggested that between 2,000 and 3,000 individuals might have been the victims of phone hacking.

The suggestions that there were possibly thousands of victims was dismissed at the time. Assistant commissioner John Yates said, after reviewing the first inquiry, that there were "hundreds, not thousands" of potential victims. But he appeared only to be referring to victims who had been targeted by the News of the World's former royal reporter Clive Goodman, rather than the full list of victims in the Mulcaire notebooks.

It is understood that Akers's team is close to making further arrests in the hacking scandal. News International, which says it is working openly with the police, has indicated that up to five journalists and executives suspected of involvement could be arrested within days.

Akers spoke out as the list of victims of phone hacking grew and as it emerged that documents passed to the police from News International suggested three to five Scotland Yard officers might have been paid £100,000 between them in bribes in 2003.

She appealed for people to be patient and said her team would not be confirming individual cases of phone hacking.

She said: "I stand by my commitment that Operation Weeting will contact all those who have some personal contact details found in the documents seized in 2006, and my officers are working hard to ensure it is fulfilled as soon as possible.

"This is taking a significant amount of time and resources. We are going through approximately 11,000 pages of material containing almost 4,000 names. In addition we have been contacted by hundreds of people who believe that they may have been affected."

She asked those who thought they were victims to be patient, and said they would be contacted if they had been affected.

"We have contacted many people already and will contact others whose details appear as quickly as possible. We are also making contact with organisations that represent the large groups of people reported to be affected to provide reassurance..

"I understand that many people will be upset and will want to seek information from us. I ask them to be patient ... we will contact them if they are affected. Have confidence in us to keep our promise but also realise it will take time."

Akers, who is appearing before the home affairs select committee next Tuesday, said she would be reiterating and expanding on these points to MPs.

Akers's investigation team consists of 45 officers, many of whom have been seconded from homicide teams. Since the revelations this week that News International has passed the police documents to show that some police officers were paid by its reporters, Akers is also overseeing a separate investigation into alleged bribes. This is being shared with the Met's directorate of professional standards and overseen by the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:50 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Mr Spock wrote:
SMOKESCREEN. The whole British news industry is rotten to the core, the NOTW was no better or worse than the rest, they just have less airs and graces about pretending to be honest, which is probably why they were the ones that got caught.
So now the NOTW and its staff have been sacrificed to protect the backs of the rest of them, especially News Group.
The NOTW wont really close anyway, it will just be rebranded as the Sun on Sunday

Exactamundo .

And we now have two new web addresses being registered two days ago Sun on Sunday .co.uk or similar is one. This whole thing gets murkier by the day. I too feel sorry for the workers. Thrown like lambs to the slaughter. Amazing how bosses expect loyalty from workers but when it's asked of the other way around..... :no:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:23 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Willie Eckerslike wrote:
Mr Spock wrote:
SMOKESCREEN. The whole British news industry is rotten to the core, the NOTW was no better or worse than the rest, they just have less airs and graces about pretending to be honest, which is probably why they were the ones that got caught.
So now the NOTW and its staff have been sacrificed to protect the backs of the rest of them, especially News Group.
The NOTW wont really close anyway, it will just be rebranded as the Sun on Sunday

Exactamundo .

And we now have two new web addresses being registered two days ago Sun on Sunday .co.uk or similar is one. This whole thing gets murkier by the day. I too feel sorry for the workers. Thrown like lambs to the slaughter. Amazing how bosses expect loyalty from workers but when it's asked of the other way around..... :no:

Job losses? AFAIK "all staff will be invited to apply for jobs elsewhere within the organisation" so there aren't any jobs gone I don't think. Instead they'll just change the name and cash-in on the massive free publicity for the relaunch.

Like Max Clifford says, that won't be too long in coming, they've got 10 million weekly customers and some very big advertisers who relied on using it to sell products so it'll be back quick enough to keep momentum going.

I do hope this doesn't absolve News Corp. of any legal responsibility because capitalising on the publicity aside, this looks like legal damage limitation to me, and analysts are suggesting it's just to make sure nothing interferes with the BSkyB takeover anyway.

There's no justice at all is there... :hmm: And what a great idea to have policemen investigate themselves. Again... :rake: And all the while Murdoch tells number ten what he wants not the other way around. :doh:

Don't hold your breath. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:37 pm 
Captain
Captain

1. Lets have a thorough investigation into who bugged whom, who they shared the info with, what it was used for. this was more widespread than anyone realises.

2. Break up News Group, force them to sell the Sun to the TUC, Nationalise The Times and give news papers the same rules to live by as BBC news, and proactiveley enforce the rules.

3. Jail Wade, Coulson, Murdoch and Cameron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:09 pm 
Captain
Captain

David Wooding their political Editor says they did a lot of good things. Let him come on here and defend that lie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm 
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Mr Spock wrote:
3. Jail.... Cameron

....just for being a bell-end???

....on the upside Coulson will do well to avoid a perjury charge

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:15 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Former News of the World editor Andy Coulson is to be arrested tomorrow following the ongoing phone hacking scandal, it has been alleged.

According to The Guardian, Coulson has been told by police that he will be arrested on Friday morning on suspicion of having knowledge or direct involvement of the hacking of mobile phones while editor of the newspaper.

The news comes soon after it was announced that News of the Worldwill cease production on Sunday following the allegations.

The Guardian has also reported that another former senior journalist at News of the Worldwill be arrested, but has decided not to name them in order to "avoid prejudicing the ongoing police investigation".

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:22 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

On July 5, the domain name www.sunonsunday.com was registered by an unknown company. Several politicians and media commentators have speculated that News International are the owners of the domain name and are intending to re-brand their profitable newspaper.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:29 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
The Sun on Sunday will be launched before the end of July.

Quote:
Ben Bradshaw, the former Culture, Media and Sport Secretary, said: “The News of the World closure announcement is a smokescreen. News International were planning a 7 day operation anyway. It doesn't address alleged crimes under editorship of Brooks.”

Peter Wilby, former editor of the Independent on Sunday, said: "I'd wager, [not] a single Sunday will pass without a Murdoch tabloid appearing on the streets. After the NoW's final issue this weekend – which will contain no commercial advertising and which will, we are told, devote its circulation revenues solely to good causes – expect a Sun on Sunday to appear the following week."

A spokesman for the company would not comment on whether News International would continue to publish a tabloid title on a Sunday.

However, News International has already announced plans to move to seven-day working across its four titles – the Sun, News of the World, the Times and Sunday Times. At the end of last month Rebekah Brooks, the chief executive of News International, said that the company wanted to implement “editorial integration” across its daily and Sunday titles. She had said: "We will take a comprehensive look at where there is common ground across our titles and where we should remain unique.

The domain names have already gone.

Myler to edit.

Conjecture.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:46 am 
Major General
Major General

:wave:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:07 am 
Captain
Captain

Im sick of hearing Journos on the TV & Radio telling me what a good bunch are currently running the NOTW, how they're being unfairly victimised for the bad bahaviour of their predecesssors and they are doing good things now.

They helped the government get there to carry out is disastrous policies with lies and misinformation about the economy and the defecit and continue to sell us that rubbish. The NOTW continues to live of salacious gossip and scandal.

Now if its last edition were to show us how the defecit and national debt were lower than those of our competitors who have come out of the recession already, and that left by the previous tory government in 1997. That we are despite the lies of the tories still a very solvent nation (although theyre now taking us to insolvency) that the deficit was falling, the economy was growing and so was unemployemnt, now the economy is shrinking and the defecit is growing and so is unemployment because of Tory policies.
If the news of the world were to show us those truths, then I would respect the people who are losing their jobes now (and most of them will be back when the NOTW comes back as the Sunday version of the Sun anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:56 am 
General
General

Mr Spock wrote:
1. Lets have a thorough investigation into who bugged whom, who they shared the info with, what it was used for. this was more widespread than anyone realises.

2. Break up News Group, force them to sell the Sun to the TUC, Nationalise The Times and give news papers the same rules to live by as BBC news, and proactiveley enforce the rules.

3. Jail Wade, Coulson, Murdoch and Cameron

That would be good, but I wouldn't hold my breath like I said. Blimey, the whole country/government is reacting to this situation that the NOTW created... and it's not a whole lot different to their usual influence on government and the whole country! :doh:

Talk about puppets on strings... :rolleyes:

And come Sunday they'll be back with every news and media organisation covering it. Punishment? :lol: They're surely unfit to pass any test regarding BSkyB... just hope it's not the same test we use in the Premier League that Shinawatra passed. The problem is that the owner is the boss of most politicians, his newspapers make or break governments so it'll be a big test for Cameron that I don't expect him or any of his cronies to pass.

Dunno about selling The Sun to the TUC..? :ohmy: I would be in favour of a break up but only with strict rules.. it should be conditional on WHO would be allowed to buy/own the broken up pieces because if Murdoch is allowed to buy one chunk and another director buys another chunk etc. then nothing will have changed at all.

But will the government have the will or the balls to initiate a break up?

Probably not imo. It's a bit hard to kick someone in the nuts when you're in their jacket pocket....

...right next to Murdoch's chequebook and his who to support politically in the press list.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:15 am 
Captain
Captain

too true, but if we dont all chip in with what we want to come out of this the Government and Murdoch are going to get a free ride on whitewashing the whole thing.

This isnrt a situation NOTW created though, they're all at it and the stuff they have been found out for is the tip of the iceberg.

Lets not forget how close we were to a military coup twice when Harold Wilson was PO. The British establishment is just using the media to monitor and control opposition to the Tories and feed information back to them now instead of the security services.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:55 am 
General
General

Mr Spock wrote:
too true, but if we dont all chip in with what we want to come out of this the Government and Murdoch are going to get a free ride on whitewashing the whole thing.

This isnrt a situation NOTW created though, they're all at it and the stuff they have been found out for is the tip of the iceberg.

Lets not forget how close we were to a military coup twice when Harold Wilson was PO. The British establishment is just using the media to monitor and control opposition to the Tories and feed information back to them now instead of the security services.

I thought you didn't believe in conspiracies? :p

Just on my way to watch Newsnight, and I found this still image quite amusing and accurate:

BBC iPlayer Newsnight: Click image to watch

And yes, I suppose we do have to demand what we want to try to avoid the planned cover up. I personally hope this snowballs and after we successfully demand changes on this then it goes on to other things that need changing, such as the whole corrupt system... and how it's possible that people who need to be dealt with are best mates with the people responsible for dealing with it, which has to be the worst arrangement ever.

Well they kinda created it by doing it, but I get your point... it's happening now because they got caught not by design.

Don't know anything about any military coup btw, a bit before my time. :shrug: But I am well aware it's not a new thing that's going on here.

Quote:
British establishment is just using the media to monitor and control opposition to the Tories and feed information back to them now instead of the security services

Are you sure that it's just opposition to the Tories? I'd say it was any opposition to government full stop, though admittedly very right wing policies but I get the impression that they tend to share most of them between all the parties these days, so they'd all be implementing the Conservative/banking/corporate blueprint anyway wouldn't they?

And I'd question the 'instead' part too... I'd say as well, and the best new way they've got to spy on people is by getting them to report on themselves! :doh: Why pay spooks when you can get more info via social networking because unwary people give it all up themselves oblivious to the fact that all of it is available to the governments and security services etc. around the world. Between that and mobile phones that leak like sieves and report your location, smart bar codes they can track being put on products, etc. etc. they know everything there is to know about you and your life, illustrated with your own uploaded photographs that you (now) no longer own... so probably in greater detail than ever before.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:26 pm 
Captain
Captain

I dont believe in conspiracies, I dont see that this is in the same mould at all, this is simple low level, low tech stuff compared to alll these nutty theories about 9/11 and 7/7 and the illuminati (and btw I was going to London on the train and tube along the same route about 20 mins ahead of the london bombers - it all went off just as I was going through the door into my work at Bechtel in Hamersmith) just the English establishment spying on the rest of us because they think we're all Russian spies, they actually said that more than once about harold Wilson by the way and the army did occupy Heathrow back in the 70s without consulting the then Governemnt. ever read a very British Coup? a lot of that is based on things that were known to be planned. look at the difference, in the real world they cant hide what they are doing and no they dont share the information with the other parties for the simple reason that its the other parties (amongst others) that are systematically being spied on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:24 pm 
General
General

Mr Spock wrote:
I dont believe in conspiracies, I dont see that this is in the same mould at all, this is simple low level, low tech stuff compared to alll these nutty theories about 9/11 and 7/7 and the illuminati (and btw I was going to London on the train and tube along the same route about 20 mins ahead of the london bombers - it all went off just as I was going through the door into my work at Bechtel in Hamersmith) just the English establishment spying on the rest of us because they think we're all Russian spies, they actually said that more than once about harold Wilson by the way and the army did occupy Heathrow back in the 70s without consulting the then Governemnt. ever read a very British Coup? a lot of that is based on things that were known to be planned. look at the difference, in the real world they cant hide what they are doing and no they dont share the information with the other parties for the simple reason that its the other parties (amongst others) that are systematically being spied on.

Well I don't think this Conservative/establishment spy conspiracy is any different to many of the others, eg banking/financial conspiracy, or yes, 9/11 and the pretend terrorist stuff... as for 7/7 just ask the guys families from Leeds who'll tell you they were chosen as good members of their local communities and who talked proudly about being recruited by the police to supposedly help with police anti-terror training... they'll also tell you they were told not to tell anyone about it... only pride got the better of a few of them who told their families before they set off all exited and proud and eager... witnesses and family knew all about them speaking to and meeting policemen regularly in the build up... I'd argue that they did get caught only you choose not to believe it... perhaps too 'nutty' for you compared to the non-conservatives being victims of your elite spy network. You talk about shady groups discrediting people but won't accept that it's people who question the truth and do believe there's a conspiracy against the public with certain things that have been discredited lately. But that's not for this thread. :offtopic:

Anyhoo...

I've never heard of the Heathrow occupation by the army, and didn't see anything obvious on Google either so still none the wiser why they'd do that?

When you say "look at the difference" I'd say what difference lol. Like I said above, they have been found out for much more things than this but people pick and choose what they believe and generally end up agreeing with the mainstream media owned by... you've guessed it. Maybe NOTW should do a campaign to raise awareness... oh wait. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:07 pm 
Captain
Captain

you can find this in Wikipedia amongst other places, most of these stories Ive heard at various times in the past.
In 1976 in his memoirs, titled Walking on Water, Hugh Cudlipp refered to a meeting between Cecil King, the head of the International Publishing Corporation, and Lord Mountbatten of Burma (that he himself had arranged – he says at Kings request) on May 8, 1968. One Sir Solly Zuckerman, the Chief Scientific Adviser to the British government at the time was also there.
He said "[Cecil] awaited the arrival of Sir Solly and then at once expounded his views on the gravity of the national situation, the urgency for action, and then embarked upon a shopping list of the Prime Minister's shortcomings...He explained that in the crisis he foresaw as being just around the corner, the Government would disintegrate, there would be bloodshed in the streets and the armed forces would be involved. The people would be looking to somebody like Lord Mountbatten as the titular head of a new administration, somebody renowned as a leader of men, who would be capable, backed by the best brains and administrators in the land, to restore public confidence. He ended with a question to Mountbatten- would he agree to be the titular head of a new administration in such circumstances? He claims that Mountbatten took advise, was told that this amounted to treason and walked away, but did he? We’ll never really know.
BBC 2 did a documentary called The Plot Against Harold Wilson, on March 16, 2006, saying were threats of a coup d'état against the Wilson government, and leading figures of the time on both the left and the right backed this up. Harrold told two BBC journalists, Roger Courtiour and Barrie Penrose, that he feared he was being undermined by MI5. The first time was in the late 1960s after the Wilson Government devalued the pound sterling but the threat went away after Conservative leader Edward Heath won the election of 1970. However after the 1974 miners strike Heath decided to hold an election to get public backing against the miners in February 1974. Wilson won, but only just. the military coup, rumours re-surfaced Lord Mountbatten would supposedly have become head of an interregnal administration after Wilson had been got rid of. In 1974 the Army occupied Heathrow Airport on the grounds of training for possible IRA terrorist action there, however Baroness Falkender (Wilsons right hand woman and alleged – but I don’t think ever proved- mistress) claimed that it was ordered as a practice-run for a military takeover or as a show of strength to warn Wilson as the government itself was not consulted accordeing to her. Source Brian Wheeler (pub 9 March 2006). "Wilson 'plot': The secret tapes". BBC News. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4789060.stm.
Then there was Peter Wright (no left winger or friend of Labour) he said two of his MI5 colleagues that they said to him: "Wilson's a bloody menace and it's about time the public knew the truth", and "We'll have him out, this time we'll have him out" Wright said there was a plan to leak damaging information about Wilson and that this had been approved by 'up to thirty officers'. During the 1974 election campaign, MI5 would leak selective details of the intelligence about Labour leaders, especially Wilson, to 'sympathetic' journalists. Wright said that MI5 would use their contacts in the press and the trade unions to allege that Wilson was a security risk and bring it up in Parliament for 'maximum effect'. Wright didn’t show anyone the paperwork but did claim it was a 'carbon copy' of the Zinoviev Letter which had helped destabilise the first Labour Government in 1924. Peter Wright, Spycatcher (William Heinemann, 1987), Ibid, p. 369.
On March 22, 1987 former MI5 officer James Miller claimed that the Ulster Workers Council Strike of 1974 had been promoted by MI5 in order to help destabilise Wilson's government
In July 1987, Labour MP, Ken Livingstone discussed allegations by one time Army press officer, Colin Wallace, that the Army press office in Northern Ireland had been used in the 1970s as part of a smear campaign, codenamed Clockwork Orange against Harold Wilson and other British and Irish politicians.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:26 pm 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
Top marks to The Guardian for persisting with this and finally tackling the corrupted nature of so called jounalism in the UK and Ireland and the corruption within the police. Nobody else seemed to want to tackle Murdoch's empire and those that did have been threatened by the power of companies like News International. The British government, opposition and the police have turned a blind eye to all this for too long while at the same time sucking up to the likes of Murdoch.

Cameron has a few questions to answer aswell about this. It's not good enough to say I was giving Coulson a second chance and it didn't work out. Did he ask Coulson what was going on? If he didn't, then why not? Has he known about this criminal activity and done nothing about it?

I think these tabloids offer nothing other than people developing an unhealthy interest in celebrity's lives and lifestyles.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:32 pm 
Captain
Captain

read Polly Toynbee in the Grauniads website

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next