AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Your Greatest Sporting Heroes.....and why?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:06 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
for me, the choice is easy, but perhaps not one you'd expect

Red Rum

The horse was bred as a sprinter and even won a 5f race, but he suffered a rare condition, his hooves softened and he kept breaking down. he was discarded and destined for the knackers yard, when a 'tinpot trainer' who had a yard behind a used car lot gave him one last chance. Magically, this was the only man who could have saved him, for he was 'Ginger' McCain, the only man to train on a beach and the Southport surf cured Rummy's foot condition. From that point on, history recorded the greatest steeplechaser there ever was.

In 73, he came up against the 'unbeatable' New Zealander, Crisp.....who ran the field into the ground, he had a 30 length lead as they turned to head out for the second time.... but one horse set out in pursuit, one horse tenaciously chased this Maori giant and from being a distant speck at the Canal Turn, Rummie ran him down, to the roar of the Aintree crowd.

The year after he did it again, carrying 12st 2lbs, he beat L'Escargot

In 75 and 76 he was unbelievably handicapped against Gold Cup Winners like L'Escargot, yet his spirit and indomitability meant he battled to 2nd both years

In 77, Jubilee Year, the year of Star Wars the year Virginia Wade won Wimbledon, Liverpool won a League & Europe Double and United were to deny them a Treble on a sunny day at Wembley. It was a summer to remember and Red Rum started it all off. He was growing old, carrying top weight and young pretenders were snapping at his heels. Completing one lap, the favourite Andy Pandy unexpectedly fell and Tommy Stack seized his chance, Rummie had a date with destiny and only Churchtown Boy could go with him, two from home, Churchtown was out on his feet, hit the fence and fell. Red Rum, 12 years old, top weight would come up the hill the only horse to win the Grand National 3 times. The nation wept, he was a valiant, noble, brave champion, an immortal, his achievement can now, never be matched and his courage never will be.

He ran in over 100 races and was brought down in only one, he was sure-footed, brave, indomitable and having been in his presence many times, I can say, he had a magical air of greatness, that very few do.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Your Sporting Heroes.....and why?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:08 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Interesting choice RJ....nicely penned as well (was it you?)

Dennis Bergkamp - The non flying Dutchman.

My earliest memory of Dennis Bergkamp was in 1993 when I rushed home from school to see Norwich take on Inter Milan in the UEFA Cup - I can't really remember much of the game except remembering that it was a bit misty!

Bruce Rioch wasn't the longest serving Arsenal manager, the most successful or the most popular but he did sign one of the English Premierships best ever foreign players for a then Premiership record £7.5 million two years later and arguably shaped Arsenals future as much as Herbert Chapman or Arsene Wenger given the influence Bergkamp had on the club.

The Iceman, as he was affectionately known made 423 appearances for Arsenal scoring 123 goals, sandwiched between 37 international goals in 79 games for Holland, the pick of which had me out of my seat during the 1998 World Cup in France and also broke the Dutch international goal scoring record, later surpassed by Patrick Kluivert.

A long cross field ball was delivered by Frank De Boer, Bergkamp controls it with the tip of his right foot, brings it inside his marker before slotting it into the roof of the net with the outside of his right foot past a helpless Carlos Roa.....

And then there was THAT goal against Newcastle. Arsenal break through Patrick Vieira who slides a ball to Bergkamp who then sprays it out wide to Pires. Pires drives down the wing before delivering the ball to Bergkamps feet.....don't ask me to explain what he does next because I don't know how he did it!

Thierry Henry and Ian Wright describe Bergkamp as "the greatest player he had ever played with" and "The Messiah; we asked him to get us into Europe and that's exactly what he did" respectively. Jan Muller describes him as Holland greatest footballer ever declaring simply that "he had the greatest technique".

He wasn't without his flaws though - He was terrified of flying and missed many Arsenal European games as it was simply too time consuming to drive or take the train in what was an already congested fixture list for many English teams challenging for European honours and that was perhaps the only blemish on an otherwise sterling footballing career.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

hornyhibby wrote:

twas I :spin:

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:23 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Resurrection Joe wrote:
hornyhibby wrote:

twas I :spin:

Hats off :tiphat:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:42 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Bergkamp - Sometimes all you could do was sit back and enjoy - Scored a cracking hattrick against Leicester

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:52 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
I'm crap at giving a description of why, so I'll just name some and give it a go.

Michael Johnson - Brilliant athelete, ran around the track as if it was a daily morning stroll, made it look so easy everytime he went out.

Johnson's world record in Seville '99.

Michael Schumacher - (arguably) Best driver I've seen in F1, broke pretty much every kind of record going, will always be the best drive for me

His last race, was inevitable he was going to retire, but he didn't confirm it until after the race. Was absolutely gutted.

Peter Schmeichel - Best goalkeeper in footballing history, a legend in my eyes, and thanks for saving that penalty at Villa Park. :D

Jonah Lomu - NZ All Blacks rugby union player, no one could stop him unless they was in a group of 3/4 other players, he was unstoppable. Just used to steamroll his way through a whole defence and palmed them away one by one.

There's probably a few more sneaking under the radar somewhere.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:50 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Highscores: 4
Daley Thompson

With four world records, two Olympic gold medals, three Commonwealth titles, Daley Thompson is often considered the greatest decathlete the world has ever seen.

Thompson's rivalry with West German athlete Jurgen Hingsen was legendary throughout the 1980s and pair consistently traded world records, but Thompson always seemed to have the measure of him in the major events, remaining undefeated in all competitions for nine years between 1979 and 1987. It was always the event that I relished and looked forward to at every athletics meeting these two were together.

What always fascinated me was the way he always managed to have the event wrapped up by the 1500m and would just jog around the track knowing that finishing 8th would always be enough.

My long lasting memory will always be how when winning the gold medal at the 84 olympics he whistled the national anthem whilst proudly stood on the podium, no emotion for this guy.

And if that wasn't enough, his name even lead the way with one of the earliest pre licensed computer games.

A favourite for all computer gamers of the era and the cause of many broken joysticks that became victims of over zealous waggling.

Thompson's name was eventually used for three officially licensed home computer games by Ocean Software, Daley Thompson's Decathlon, Daley Thompson's Supertest, and Daley Thompson's Olympic Challenge.

To me this guy was a true hero of track and field and a personality that is rarely seen in sport these days.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:41 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Sparky:

Just because he was such a brave, heroic character and had a knack for scoring fanastic goals!

Ieuan Evans

Simply a genius on the wing and one of the main reasons I started supporting Llanelli RFC.
Sorry to add the English try though! ;)

Linford Christie & Frankie Fredericks:

lumped the 2 tgether basically because of the 1992 olympics, one of my first ever memories of
such a special occasion. Obviously I always wanted Christie to win but Fredericks was something special
too and I had a soft spot for him

My biggest influence of all time:

John Davies

Probably not someone many of you have heard of but John is the main reason I got into rugby
in the first place (well apart from my dad obviously!). Just a great solid, professional and probably
the most strongest prop I have ever seen. Also a full time farmer in his early career and still kept
it running part timewhen rugby went pro! Don't see them built like that nowadays eh?!

Last edited by Sparkys kneecap on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:57 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Reedo wrote:
Jonah Lomu - NZ All Blacks rugby union player, no one could stop him unless they was in a group of 3/4 other players, he was unstoppable. Just used to steamroll his way through a whole defence and palmed them away one by one.

A hero off the pitch as well imo.

Through his entire career he suffered from nephrotic syndrome which slowly killed his kydneys, he could never work out why he was so exhausted after games until he was diagnosed in 1996. Eventually he was given a kidney by one of his friends in 2004 after being put onto dialysis 3 times a week, a horrific treatment for 4 hours 3 times a week. He got back to playing rugby, which is no mean feat. My brother received a kidney the following year and we're pleased he can live a pretty normal life and that's taken serious effort on his behalf, so to get back to playing rugby at all is astonishing and shows the character of the man. Normally when a patient receives a kidney it's inserted into the front abdominal region (sorry I'm no doctor there's probably a more accurate name). The reason they put it there is it's less invasive. With Lomus they put it inside the rib cage so he could play rugby safely again, a much riskier operation (especially for someone with a body severely weakened by kidney failure). I read an interview from him a couple of years ago where he pays homage to the friend who helped him and talked of how his desire to play the game again kept him going through the dark moments. He always struck me as a true sportsman and a gentleman, good choice Reedo.

Peter Norman

A true hero in my book is someone who does the right thing in the full knowledge their actions will only bring about their downfall.

2 Facts about Peter Norman
1. He still holds the Australian 200m record after being Australian champion 5 times and collecting a silver medal at the 1968 olympics.
2. The Australian Olympic organising committee for the 2000 games failed to involve him. The American team invited him as their guest instead.

Why all the fuss?

It was his support for 2 black americans in the famous Black Power salute in the 1968 Summer Olympics, where he also spoke out against his country's government's White Australia policy.

All 3 of them chose the pinnacle of their careers to further a greater cause rather than to celebrate personal glory and although I've chosen only one here in my mind they were all great men.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:03 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Severiano Ballesteros

This man brought golf to masses before Tiger for me.

Golf was rarely on the tv apart from a couple of the majors and pro celebrity and this man just stood out as something different from all the rest, his enthusiasm was/is infectious and wherever he played the crowd loved him.
It was him that got me interested in the game and the reason I got my dad to take me golfing.
His shot making was phenominal, he could a woeful tee shot, end up in the rough or behind a tree and suddenly he'd be on the green 2ft from the pin.

He learnt to play with a 3 iron a family member gave him and he used to practise on his local beach, which is probably why he was so brilliant and inventive in tricky situations

He turned pro at 16, two years later he was runner up in the open and European order of merit winner.
He won the open in 1979 and set a record as the youngest ever winner and the first continental eurpean to win it since 1907. He went on to win the open again in 84 and 88.

He was also the youngest ever person to win the Masters when he won it aged 23 in 1980, also the first European. He went on to win the masters again in 1983

He was also a great at match play. he won the World Match Play Championship five times, and was a mainstay of the European Ryder Cup team for much of the 1980s and 1990s. He scored 20 points out of 37 matches against the United States and his partnership with fellow Spaniard José María Olazábal was the most successful in the history of the competition, with 11 wins and two halved matches out of 15 pairs matches. Seve was a member of European sides that won the Ryder Cup in 1985, retained the Cup in 1987 and 1989, and regained the Cup in 1995, the pinnacle of his career in the competition came in 1997, when he captained the winning European side at Valderrama Golf Club in Sotogrande, Spain. This was the first Ryder Cup ever held in continental Europe.

He also set up the Seve cup, a tournament that pits GB and Ireland against Europe.

He still remains a hero of mine and is still the best golfer I have ever seen play, maybe not technically but natural talent.

By all accounts he is one of the nicest men in the game.

I really hope he recovers from his illness.

Last edited by Mr Carrot on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:05 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Mr Carrot wrote:
I really hope he recovers from his illness.

The fact he's spoken to his family since the operation is extremely good news. There's a long way to go yet but it's a good start.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:36 am 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
Late edition to my list, Del Piero.

Seems like he's been around for a life time, well he has for some.

And he's still plodding away scoring important goals in top flight football (another winner yesterday for Juve).

The little fella scored 21 league goals last year, matching his Serie A record he set 10 years ago, and he scored 20 the season before in Serie B.

He's a machine.

Del Piero tearing R Madrid a new one earlier this season home and away:

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

good rekindling :thumbup:

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:32 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Steve Coppell - being a very young united fan at the time he was a fav of mine but when I went to watch myy first England game against the Czech Republic in about 1978 he set up a goal after he chased a ball eveyone else thought was going out for a throw and just about kept it in. It tought me how important trying hard and not giving was. Shame I have spend most of my time since trying to do as little as possible :D

As a side point the game was very important as it was the first time a black player (Viv Anderson) had played for England.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:51 pm 
Private First Class
Private First Class

redclem wrote:
Steve Coppell - being a very young united fan at the time he was a fav of mine but when I went to watch myy first England game against the Czech Republic in about 1978 he set up a goal after he chased a ball eveyone else thought was going out for a throw and just about kept it in. It tought me how important trying hard and not giving was. Shame I have spend most of my time since trying to do as little as possible :D

As a side point the game was very important as it was the first time a black player (Viv Anderson) had played for England.

always loved the tough hard nosed characters in sport which has lead me to have an affinity for the roy keanes and wayne rooney's of the world.

now with the riches and fame that athletes have today one wonders how important winning is to these players and the concept of what a team is and should be not only to their teammates but supporters as well. growing up in new york during the 80's nobody was better than larry bird in basketball (boston celtics) or mark messier (edmonton) in hockey. now i grew up rooting for losers mets ,knicks ,jets and rangers 1994 was a magical yr. mark messier brought the ny rangers their first stanley cup in 44yrs and also guaranteed a victory over the devils in the semi finals and went out and scored a hat trick that night becoming a legend in new york sporting lore. as for lary bird watch some 80's highlights of the celtics and see how clutch he was. all time best though michael jordon despite making all that money all he wanted was winning the nba championship. saw jordan dump 40 something points on the knicks and walked out saying it was unbelievible. also when mario lemieux scored 4 against the rangers in 25 minutes back in 1990. memories so mant to choose from

Post subject: Who is the Greatest Sports Person Ever
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:25 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Thsi was suggested to mne by a friend who shamelessly stolen from a question asked on Facebook but i thought it would be interesting

who in your opinion is the greatest sports person in the world ever?

A few to consider

Michale Phelps? maybe not been around long but broken most records regarding winning medals in swimming

Lance Armstrong - won 7 tour de frances where kost pro cyclists dream of winning one

Phil Taylor - pretty much unbeatable when on form at darts

Ryan Giggs - More winners medals than any other british based player? (i think he surpassed phil neal) might be let down by lack of international accolades

Muhammed Ali - The Greatest?

Post subject: Re: Who is the Greatest Sports Person Ever
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:34 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Tiger Woods - Dominated golf from a young age and still miles ahead of the field when he's fit.

Roger Federer - His record really does speak for itself won more tennis grand slams than anyone else.

It's too hard to pick the greatest sports person as each sport has it's own legends and to say one is better than the other is saying that one sport is better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:40 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:28 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Eddie the Eagle :fonz:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:26 pm 
Major General
Major General

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history