The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Who is the Greatest Sports Person Ever
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:35 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I think it's hard for me to disagree with Ali as the Greatest ever. He started alot of the slef promotion that does the rounds these days. His wit was second to none, and in the ring very few could deal with him. His memory is not dulled by his botched comeback(s) nor the American Governements reaction to his declining to fight in the Vietnam War.

He may have spawned many pretenders but there is only one Ali.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:42 pm 
Major General
Major General

Wihtout any doubt he is the greatest and there is none who can be put into his bracket..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

Post subject: Re: Your Greatest Sporting Heroes.....and why?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:48 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Highscores: 1

Last edited by Sparkys kneecap on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
pakrooney wrote:
Wihtout any doubt he is the greatest and there is none who can be put into his bracket..

Jesse Owens?

Quote:

In 1936, Owens arrived in Berlin to compete for the United States in the Summer Olympics. Adolf Hitler was using the games to show the world a resurgent Nazi Germany. He and other government officials had high hopes German athletes would dominate the games with victories (the German athletes achieved a top of the table medal haul). Meanwhile, Nazi propaganda promoted concepts of "Aryan racial superiority" and depicted ethnic Africans as inferior. Owens surprised many by winning four gold medals: On August 3, 1936 he won the 100m sprint, defeating Ralph Metcalfe; on August 4, the long jump (later crediting friendly and helpful advice which led him to triumph over German competitor Luz Long); on August 5, the 200m sprint; and, after he was added to the 4 x 100 m relay team, his fourth on August 9 (a performance not equaled until Carl Lewis won gold medals in the same events at the 1984 Summer Olympics).

Just before the competitions Owens was visited in the Olympic village by Adi Dassler, the founder of Adidas. He persuaded Owens to use Adidas shoes and it was the first sponsorship for a male African-American athlete.

The long jump victory is documented, along with many other 1936 events, in the 1938 film Olympia by Leni Riefenstahl.

On the first day, Hitler shook hands only with the German victors and then left the stadium. Olympic committee officials then insisted Hitler greet each and every medalist or none at all. Hitler opted for the latter and skipped all further medal presentations. On reports that Hitler had deliberately avoided acknowledging his victories, and had refused to shake his hand, Owens recounted:

Jesse Owens on the podium after winning the long jump at the 1936 Summer Olympics

Quote:
“ When I passed the Chancellor he arose, waved his hand at me, and I waved back at him. I think the writers showed bad taste in criticizing the man of the hour in Germany. ”

He also stated: "Hitler didn't snub me—it was FDR who snubbed me. The president didn't even send me a telegram." Jesse Owens was never invited to the White House nor bestowed any honors by Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR) or Harry S. Truman during their terms. In 1955, President Dwight D. Eisenhower acknowledged Owens' accomplishments, naming him an "Ambassador of Sports."

Hitler's contempt for Owens and for those races he deemed 'inferior' arose in private, away from maintaining Olympic neutrality. As Albert Speer, Hitler's architect and later war armaments minister recollected in his memoirs Inside the Third Reich:

"Each of the German victories and there were a surprising number of these made him happy, but he was highly annoyed by the series of triumphs by the marvelous colored American runner, Jesse Owens. People whose antecedents came from the jungle were primitive, Hitler said with a shrug; their physiques were stronger than those of civilized whites and hence should be excluded from future games.

Despite Hitler's feelings, Owens was cheered enthusiastically by 110,000 people in Berlin's Olympic Stadium and later ordinary Germans sought his autograph when they saw him in the streets. Owens was allowed to travel with and stay in the same hotels as whites, an irony at the time given that blacks in the United States were denied equal rights. After a New York ticker-tape parade in his honor, Owens had to ride the freight elevator to attend his own reception at the Waldorf-Astoria.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:04 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Quote:
After a New York ticker-tape parade in his honor, Owens had to ride the freight elevator to attend his own reception at the Waldorf-Astoria.

Civilised whites my ass.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:24 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

For me personally, which is only people i have had the privilage to see, they would be

Schumacher - have always been a big F1 fan, and although i have hated him so much he is the greatest modern day F1 driver and i don't think he will ever be eclipsed. It is difficult to call him the greatest F1 driver ever as you can never directly compare him due to the progressiveness of the cars, but he is up there with Prost, Senna, Fangio, Brahbam, Stewart etc and in all fairness is probably a level above all of them.

Paul Scholes - For me, the best English midfielder of his generation, and in a culture of trying to screw as much money as you can out of a club - see Terry - has no agent and just wants to play football. English football will suffer a big loss when he retires.

Jonny Wilkinson - for that kick.

There are many more who i really respect, but for me, off the top of my head, these are the 3 sportsmen have left me with the most prominent lasting memories, but then i am only 25 :p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:31 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Surrender Monkey wrote:
For me personally, which is only people i have had the privilage to see, they would be

Schumacher - have always been a big F1 fan, and although i have hated him so much he is the greatest modern day F1 driver and i don't think he will ever be eclipsed. It is difficult to call him the greatest F1 driver ever as you can never directly compare him due to the progressiveness of the cars, but he is up there with Prost, Senna, Fangio, Brahbam, Stewart etc and in all fairness is probably a level above all of them.

Paul Scholes - For me, the best English midfielder of his generation, and in a culture of trying to screw as much money as you can out of a club - see Terry - has no agent and just wants to play football. English football will suffer a big loss when he retires.

Jonny Wilkinson - for that kick.

There are many more who i really respect, but for me, off the top of my head, these are the 3 sportsmen have left me with the most prominent lasting memories, but then i am only 25 :p

English football will suffer a big loss when he retires.

It did immediately he retired from international footie.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:47 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Willie Eckerslike wrote:
English football will suffer a big loss when he retires.

It did immediately he retired from international footie.

Meh :shrug: was never really appreciated for the national team apart from united fans or people who actually know about football. The majority of abus will never know how good he is because he is a united player and must be overated, and those people don't deserve him!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:51 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
On the greatest sportsmen of all time, My dad was telling me about when Five done a comparison of who was the best sportsmen of all time, judging how far ahead of the rest in there respective fields they were.

They reckon it was Donald Bradman averaging 99.94 in test cricket in 52 matches the next best batting average for someone playing more than 20 test matches is 60.97. That meant that if he was a 100m runner in order to be as far ahead of the field as he was in cricket he would of had to run it in seven seconds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Bra ... rt_context

He holds the following records still:

Highest career batting average (minimum 20 innings): 99.94
Highest series batting average (5 Test series): 201.50 (1931–32)
Highest ratio of centuries per innings played: 36.25% (29 centuries from 80 innings)
Highest 5th wicket partnership: 405 (with Sid Barnes, 1946–47)
Highest 6th wicket partnership: 346 (with Jack Fingleton, 1936–37)
Highest score by a number 5 batsman: 304 (1934)
Highest score by a number 7 batsman: 270 (1936–37)
Most runs against one opponent: 5,028 (v England)
Most runs in one series: 974 (1930)
Most centuries scored in a single session of play: 6 (1 pre lunch, 2 lunch-tea, 3 tea-stumps)
Most runs in one day's play: 309 (1930)
Most double centuries: 12
Most double centuries in a series: 3 (1930)
Most triple centuries: 2 (equal with Brian Lara and Virender Sehwag)
Most consecutive matches in which he made a century: 6 (the last three Tests in 1936–37, and the first three Tests in 1938)
Bradman has averaged over 100 in seven different calendar years (*qualification 400 runs). No other player has achieved this in more than two calendar years.

Like I said that was just what they made as the greatest sportsmen ever not my sporting idol

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:54 pm 
Major General
Major General

Resurrection Joe wrote:
pakrooney wrote:

Jesse Owens?

Quote:

In 1936, Owens arrived in Berlin to compete for the United States in the Summer Olympics. Adolf Hitler was using the games to show the world a resurgent Nazi Germany. He and other government officials had high hopes German athletes would dominate the games with victories (the German athletes achieved a top of the table medal haul). Meanwhile, Nazi propaganda promoted concepts of "Aryan racial superiority" and depicted ethnic Africans as inferior. Owens surprised many by winning four gold medals: On August 3, 1936 he won the 100m sprint, defeating Ralph Metcalfe; on August 4, the long jump (later crediting friendly and helpful advice which led him to triumph over German competitor Luz Long); on August 5, the 200m sprint; and, after he was added to the 4 x 100 m relay team, his fourth on August 9 (a performance not equaled until Carl Lewis won gold medals in the same events at the 1984 Summer Olympics).

Just before the competitions Owens was visited in the Olympic village by Adi Dassler, the founder of Adidas. He persuaded Owens to use Adidas shoes and it was the first sponsorship for a male African-American athlete.

The long jump victory is documented, along with many other 1936 events, in the 1938 film Olympia by Leni Riefenstahl.

On the first day, Hitler shook hands only with the German victors and then left the stadium. Olympic committee officials then insisted Hitler greet each and every medalist or none at all. Hitler opted for the latter and skipped all further medal presentations. On reports that Hitler had deliberately avoided acknowledging his victories, and had refused to shake his hand, Owens recounted:

Jesse Owens on the podium after winning the long jump at the 1936 Summer Olympics

Quote:
“ When I passed the Chancellor he arose, waved his hand at me, and I waved back at him. I think the writers showed bad taste in criticizing the man of the hour in Germany. ”

He also stated: "Hitler didn't snub me—it was FDR who snubbed me. The president didn't even send me a telegram." Jesse Owens was never invited to the White House nor bestowed any honors by Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR) or Harry S. Truman during their terms. In 1955, President Dwight D. Eisenhower acknowledged Owens' accomplishments, naming him an "Ambassador of Sports."

Hitler's contempt for Owens and for those races he deemed 'inferior' arose in private, away from maintaining Olympic neutrality. As Albert Speer, Hitler's architect and later war armaments minister recollected in his memoirs Inside the Third Reich:

"Each of the German victories and there were a surprising number of these made him happy, but he was highly annoyed by the series of triumphs by the marvelous colored American runner, Jesse Owens. People whose antecedents came from the jungle were primitive, Hitler said with a shrug; their physiques were stronger than those of civilized whites and hence should be excluded from future games.

Despite Hitler's feelings, Owens was cheered enthusiastically by 110,000 people in Berlin's Olympic Stadium and later ordinary Germans sought his autograph when they saw him in the streets. Owens was allowed to travel with and stay in the same hotels as whites, an irony at the time given that blacks in the United States were denied equal rights. After a New York ticker-tape parade in his honor, Owens had to ride the freight elevator to attend his own reception at the Waldorf-Astoria.

TBH this is the first time i have heard of him..and michal johnson i thought was meant ot be the best ever maybe doesnt interest me enough but i think ali was something else and boxing is recognized by his name..I dont think there is ever a sportsman as good as him.

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:19 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

bloody hell...have missed this thread!!!

Diego Armando Maradona

the best footballer i have ever seen.a nutcase,a cheat....but a man who was as near to perfection in his field of sport i have ever seen.

my sporting hero by a country mile

:)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:08 pm 
Captain
Captain

Benny Hill :thumbup: The fastest milkman ever !!!

:ninja:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Legendary trainer Ginger McCain has died at the age of 80.

McCain is best known for training Red Rum - winner of the Grand National in 1973, 1974 and 1977.

Real name Donald, McCain also won the National with Amberleigh House in 2004 and retired two years later.

McCain's son Donald took over the stable from his father in 2006 and followed in his footsteps by training the 2011 Aintree winner Ballabriggs.

Late greats: Donald McCain, who has died at the age of 80, pictured with Red Rum on Southport beach in 1990

McCain's wife Beryl said: 'Donald, Ginger as we all knew him, passed away peacefully in his sleep after a short illness this morning - he would have been 81 on Wednesday.

'There will be a private family funeral followed by a later memorial service, for which there will be more information in the coming weeks.

'Joanne, Donald Jnr and I appreciate all the kindness we are being shown and, at this difficult time, would appreciate it if we were afforded some privacy.'

McCain began his training career as a permit holder in 1953 and took out a full licence in 1969 when his stables were behind his car showroom in Southport.

Not forgotten: Ginger McCain leaves flowers at Red Rum's grave in 2006. The legendary horse died in 1995

He worked as a taxi driver to supplement his income as a trainer prior to finding Grand National success.

It was as a taxi driver that he became acquainted with Noel le Mare for whom he bought Red Rum.

Former leading National Hunt jockey Mick Fitzgerald, who won the Grand National on Rough Quest in 1996, has paid tribute to McCain.

'I'm very saddened. He leaves a legacy and every time you think of the Grand National, you think of Ginger. He was the National, to be honest,' Fitzgerald told Sky Sports News.

Family affair: Ginger McCain and son Donald with this year's Grand National winner Ballabriggs

'If you ever wanted a controversial quote, you always spoke to Ginger. He was never afraid to speak his mind, he believed in what he was doing and he believed foremost in the Grand National as a race.

'He was a great ambassador for our sport and racing needs characters like him.

'It's a very sad day for everybody and especially anybody involved with the Grand National.

'He trained the legendary Red Rum to win three Grand Nationals and he also won a Scottish National with the horse. He wasn't just a one-trick pony.

'He was a real character who always had something good to say. He was a very interesting man.

He's done it again: Ginger with Amberleigh House after winning the 2004 Grand National

'His son, Donald, has taken over the reins quite magnificently and won the National with Ballabriggs.

'The first thing Ginger said after the race was "I trained him well" and I think that just about sums him up.

'He leaves a great family behind him and I'm sure they'll be very sad. My best wishes are with them.

'Every time I think of him I smile. The Grand National will forever be remembered as his race.'

Reigning champion trainer Paul Nicholls added: 'Ginger will be sorely missed. He knew his horses very well, he had an affinity with Aintree and he knew what it took to win the big race.

'He was a top man with horses from the Grand National. Legend is the right name for him.'

The 'voice of racing' Sir Peter O'Sullevan commentated on all of Red Rum's Nationals for the BBC and believes McCain played a big part in helping to save the race.

Crowd pleaser: Red Rum, ridden by Tommy Stack, races into history with a third Grand National win in 1977

'It was a career of remarkable achievement and he has bred a good trainer himself,' he said. 'He will always be remembered for Red Rum and rightly so because he and the horse appeared absolutely at the right time and were very much instrumental in saving the National at a period when it was very much in peril.

'Red Rum had a remarkable record. Five runs in the National, three victories and two seconds - unbelievable. And then he won it again years later with Amberleigh House.

'It was nice for Ginger to have the opportunity to show he wasn't just a one-horse trainer.

'He was a professional curmudgeon and he goes behind leaving very good memories.'

Former Aintree managing director, Charles Barnett, said: 'He was instrumental in helping to save the Grand National.

'At that time in the early 1970's when Red Rum was winning his three races, Ginger was very supportive to it (Grand National) and he got the public very much behind the appeal to purchase the track.

'It was an extraordinary training feat and an extraordinary horse he trained. But not just the horse, Ginger himself was very important to the race and to the venue.

What a performance: Graham Lee rode the McCain-trained Amberleigh House to victory at Aintree in 2004

'He was a marvellous man who always spoke his own mind and he was always very supportive of us at Aintree. We loved him very much and the people of Liverpool did too.

'(Amberleigh House winning) was another extraordinary event. It was in the last years of his training career and Donald was very instrumental in helping him in the training process.

'It was an extraordinary feat - not many people have trained four Grand National winners.

'He was very closely connected with Aintree and the Grand National and that is what he will most be remembered for.

'It's a very sad day and he'll be sadly missed.'

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Jordan - he always pushed himself and never settled for just good enough. Man was a beast on the basketball court.

Too many in football to choose from, will get back to it later!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:32 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

For me it's this guy:

He didn't play for United or N.I or any of their rivals so I always watched him as a neutral. Arguably the finest example of a one man team, even more so than the guy who got me supporting United (Bryan Robson).

My earliest World Cup memory is the goal above. In my opinion he is the most underated player of all time, even more than Scholes (who is actually regarded as legendary everywhere except in the UK). And I'm saying this despite the fact he won WPOTY in 1993.

In the 1994 final he was forced to play with a dodgy leg because the rest of the team, bar Maldini, were awful and uninterested. Everyone of course remembers him for missing the penalty rather than him dragging his team to the final.

All the injuries ruined him pace wise, but he was still the best Italy had. Italians are convinced that had he started versus France in 1998 they would have been World Champions. Likewise at Euro 2000 and at the 2002 WC (although to be fair, he had just comeback from injury before 2002 and wasn't fully fit so it was a 50/50 call for Trap). I would also say that Baggio is one of the few people capable of accurately aiming their power shots from distance. Unlike the classic hit and hope routine nearly every player uses, he actually could hit and place it at the same time.

To top it all off he had cool hair.

Forza Italia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:12 pm 
Captain
Captain

My dad, he spent 40 years running Boys Brigade football teams. I don't think that he ever produced any super stars, but he made a big difference to a lot of kids lives.

Post subject: The news reminded me of this thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:33 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger: