AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The US Masters
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:47 pm 
National Hero
National Hero

He was missing the cut anyway. Comes across as an unlikeable little shizzle .

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:50 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Sheasy's Bum Hamster wrote:
He was missing the cut anyway. Comes across as an unlikeable little shizzle .

he was just inside, had he declared a penalty, or dropped another shot then he would have missed it

:(

ah no, kens doing one of his reports again

:wall:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:35 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Disqualification fear for McIlroy

Rory McIlroy is facing possible disqualification from the Masters for a rules infringement in his second round.

McIlroy signed for a 73 after dropping five late shots to finish on one over but then came word of a possible rules breach in his closing triple-bogey.

The 19-year-old appeared to break the rules by kicking the sand in anger after failing to escape from a bunker.

Graeme McDowell and Padraig Harrington both finished on two under after hitting rounds of 73.

After going out in 34, an eagle on 13 moved McIlroy to four under but a four-putt double bogey at 16 was followed by a triple-bogey seven at the last.

However, the possible rules infringement was being examined by Masters officals and the evidence suggested that he had transgressed.

His one-over total looked likely to be the cut mark as he was 10 behind joint leaders Chad Campbell and Kenny Penny.

McDowell was five under after the 13th but dropped shots on 14, 15 and 17 to slip back into the pack.

"I am inexperienced here, this is only my second Masters, and this course really plays difficult in the wind. It really gusts around," he told BBC Sport.

"You are trying to get some sort of handle on it and just have to go with what you feel, and go for it.

"I am looking forward to the weekend. I feel great about my game, I am driving it good, hitting it great on the greens. This course is getting tougher and tougher and you just have to stay patient and enjoy it."

Campbell went out in 33 to improve to 10 under and then birdied the 10th to take a five-shot lead.

However, Campbell found trouble at Amen Corner as he bogeyed the 11th and 12th and he was unable to pick up any shots at the two par-fives the 13th and the 15th as he finished on nine under.

McDowell birdied the long second and then made amends for a bogey on the seventh by picking up more strokes at the ninth and 10th to move to five under.

After saving par on the next from six feet, he pulled his tee shot to the 12th, sent his chip 10 feet past and missed.

A birdie at the long 13th moved him back to five under but a bogey at 14 was followed by a six at the 15th after he was way too long with his second shot and needed two chips to reach the fringe.

Another dropped shot followed on the penultimate hole as he signed for his 73.

McIlroy, who opened with a 72 on Thursday, birdied the third and fourth to move to two under and he remained on that mark after 10 holes following a bogey on seven and birdie on eighth.

A fine up and down at 11 was followed by a lip-out for birdie from 12 feet at the short 12th.

The 19-year-old produced a eagle at the 13th after a glorious long-iron to six feet.

He remained on four under after a bogey at 14 was cancelled out by a birdie on 15 but his momentum was halted as he suffered a four-putt double-bogey at the short 16th.

The youngster then took an awful seven at the 18th after his failure to escape from the bunker but McIlroy's continuing presence in the event was then put in doubt by his apparent rules infraction.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:44 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Perry and Campbell lead Masters

SECOND ROUND LEADERBOARD :
-9 C Campbell (US), K Perry (US) -8 A Cabrera (Arg) -6 T Hamilton (US) -5 T Clarke (SA)

Kenny Perry shot a tremendous five-under-par 67 to join Chad Campbell at the head of the Masters leaderboard on nine under after two rounds.

Perry navigated the blustery conditions to sign for a bogey-free card, while overnight leader Campbell was had a mixed day but fired a two-under-par 70.

Angel Cabrera made a four-under-par 68 to sit eight under overall, while Todd Hamilton is a further two shots back.

Tiger Woods had another low-key round and is two under after a level-par 72.

Woods , who carded an opening-round 70 of Thursday, followed birdies on holes six and eight with bogies and, after birdying 15, he bogeyed 18 for the second day running.

"There were a lot of wasted opportunities out there," he said. "I hit some good putts today, better than yesterday for sure, but I still didn't make much.

"Obviously I need to play a bit better over the weekend than I have been. I need to make few more putts and hopefully get it going."

On each of the three previous occasions Woods has started a Masters by shooting 70 he has gone on to claim victory.

But the 33-year-old, competing in his first major since knee surgery, has never failed to score in the 60s on Friday after shooting a 70 on Thursday.

Perry is bidding for his first major and if he achieves it the 48-year-old will usurp Jack Nicklaus - 46 at the time of his 1986 triumph - as the oldest Masters champion.

"I feel like I can win," said Perry. "I'm driving it great. The wind is really swirling. You've got to be really carefully out there. If I keep hitting the fairways like I've been doing it's going to be great."

Also in the hunt for his first major title, Campbell set the early pace by birdying two of his first four holes and adding two more at the eighth and 10th.

But the gusts peaked at 30mph when the Texan reached Amen Corner and he took bogeys at the par-four 11th and par-three 12th.

His lead was shaved down to two shots as Perry sunk an outstanding putt to make three on the par-three 12th, his first birdie on a par three all tournament.

The gap was closed further when Campbell bogeyed 17 and although he then birdied 18 to extend his advantage, it was eroded by US Ryder Cup team-mate.

"That was a great birdie on 18 - I was glad to see that ball hit the hole," said Campbell. "I am definitely happy with the way things are going. I feel like I am playing well and looking forward to the weekend."

Campbell missed the cut in three of his five prior Masters appearance but shared third in 2006. He has not won a PGA event since taking his fourth tour triumph at the 2007 Viking Classic and knows the year's first major is far from over.

"It feels great but we're only halfway there," he added. "There's a lot of golf to be played. I like my position. I'm looking forward to the weekend. Hopefully I can keep doing what I'm doing."

Anthony Kim , another US Ryder Cup player, set a Masters record with 11 birdies in his seven-under-par round of 65 that left him four under overall.

The previous birdies record of 10 had been set by Zimbabwe's Nick Price in the third round of the 1986 Masters.

Kim, whose round was the lowest of the day, shared 75th place Thursday but has suddenly leapt into contention for a green jacket on his first Masters appearance.

Another player who looked to be playing himself into contention was Rory McIlroy , who climbed from 39th place to sixth with a sensational run that included a 10-foot eagle putt on the 13th.

The 19-year-old from Holywood had shot 57 after 15 holes but then double-bogeyed the par-three 16th and triple-bogeyed the par-four 18th.

On the last, McIlroy's was bunkered in two and left his attempted recovery in the sand, could not get close with his next and needed three more shots before holing in seven.

That left 51-year-old Sandy Lyle , champion in 1988, as the joint leading European with Graeme McDowell on two under.

Lyle opened the tournament with a double bogey six, but five successive birdies from the 13th on Friday lifted him to three under before he bogeyed the last for a 70.

McDowell carded a 73 and was left to rue a six on the long 15th, where he went for the green in two and saw his ball sail 40 yards over the green.

Ian Poulter matched McDowell's 73 for a level par aggregate, the same as Houston Open winner Paul Casey .

Ian Woosnam finished five over, while fellow former winners Ben Crenshaw and Tom Watson posted 83s.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:50 am 
National Hero
National Hero

So like we predicted Stew, bit of wind and a strategic flag placement thinned the field out a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:00 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Sheasy's Bum Hamster wrote:
So like we predicted Stew, bit of wind and a strategic flag placement thinned the field out a bit.

the wind certianly was not kind to padraig harington, caused him a penalty shot when a gust blew the ball three foot on the green, it was deemed he had addressed the ball, ie had completed his practise swing, had his feet in position and the club face behind the ball ready to take his shot, after lenghty discussions with two match referees the ball had to be repositioned

could have been worse for the players a well, strong winds and thunder were forcast for around close of play, thankfully all players had completed their rounds in time

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:38 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

McIlroy avoids Masters punishment

Rory McIlroy escaped disqualification at the Masters following a lengthy inquiry into a possible rules breach.

Making his debut appearance at Augusta, the 19-year-old Northern Irishman appeared to kick sand after failing to get out of a bunker by the 18th green.

But he was eventually cleared to play in the final two rounds after officials decided not to penalise him.

McIlroy had stormed to sixth place with three holes to play but then dropped five shots to finish down in 42nd spot.

He four-putted the short 16th for a double bogey five and then ran up a triple-bogey seven on the 18th to survive the halfway cut with nothing to spare at one over par.

McIrlory had finished his round at 1615 local time but at around 2040 returned to the club at the request of officials and was shown television coverage of him in a bunker by the 18th green.

Eventually, over four hours later, a statement was issued saying that he was not being penalised.

Augusta National competitions committee chairman Fred Ridley said: "A question was raised regarding Rory McIlroy's actions.

"The Rules of Golf (13-4) prohibit a player from testing the condition of a hazard before playing a stroke in the hazard.

"The decisions interpreting the rule state that kicking the ground in the hazard constitutes testing the condition.

"However, the rules allow the player to smooth sand or soil in the hazard after making a stroke provided that, with regard to his next stroke, nothing is done to improve the position or lie of his ball, the area of his intended swing, his line of play or a reasonable extension of his line beyond the hole or the area in which he is drop or place a ball.

"At the request of the committee McIlroy returned to the club at approximately 8.40pm, met with the committee and reviewed the CBS tape.

"Based on the tape and Mr McIlroy's statement of what had taken place after he played the shot it was determined that no violation of the rules had occurred."

After going out in 34, an eagle on 13 moved McIlroy to four under but a four-putt double bogey at 16 was followed by a triple-bogey seven at the last.

However, the alleged rules infringement was examined by Masters officials with evidence suggesting he had transgressed by testing the conditions.

:phew:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:44 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Remaining players and their tee off times for the 3rd round

Tee-off times for the third round at the Masters tournament in Augusta (all times are BST:

1535 - Ryuji Imada (Jpn), Stuart Appleby (Aus)

1545 - Kevin Sutherland (US), Ross Fisher (Eng)

1555 - Trevor Immelman (SA), Rory McIlroy (NI)

1605 - D.J. Trahan (US), Robert Allenby (Aus)

1615 - Justin Rose (Eng), Steve Flesch (US)

1625 - Ben Curtis (US), Luke Donald (Eng)

1635 - Paul Casey (Eng), Dudley Hart (US)

1645 - Sean O'Hair (US), Andres Romero (Arg)

1655 - Ian Poulter (Eng), Bubba Watson (US)

1705 - Miguel Angel Jimenez (Spa), Mike Weir (Can)

1715 - Rocco Mediate (US), Ken Duke (US)

1725 - Camilo Villegas (Col), Larry Mize (US)

1735 - Lee Westwood (Eng), Padraig Harrington (Ire)

1755 - Sandy Lyle (Sco), Dustin Johnson (US)

1805 - Graeme McDowell (NI), Tiger Woods (US)

1815 - John Merrick (US), Aaron Baddeley (Aus)

1825 - Geoff Ogilvy (Aus), Phil Mickelson (US)

1835 - Henrik Stenson (Swe), Vijay Singh (Fij)

1845 - Nick Watney (US), Stephen Ames (Can)

1855 - Steve Stricker (US), Hunter Mahan (US)

1905 - Jim Furyk (US), Sergio Garcia (Spa)

1915 - Rory Sabbatini (SA), Shingo Katayama (Jpn)

1925 - Tim Clark (SA), Anthony Kim (US)

1935 - Angel Cabrera (Arg), Todd Hamilton (US)

1945 - Chad Campbell (US), Kenny Perry (US)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:24 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

from the beeb

Quote:
Eastern Georgia was hit by a passing tornado on Friday night, drenching the course in an inch of rain in two hours, as well as leaving more than 11,000 homes in the Augusta area without power. So the early starters will have to contend with a softish course with slowing greens, making the course feel a little longer. As blogger Rob Hodgetts wrote: "It may prove to be a tale of two courses. But while shooting low would help, not shooting high must be the goal."

might not be great for the early starters, if it stays dry throughout the evening this must favour the leaders

:no:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:34 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

mickleson is on a surge, 6 under for the day after the 8th, joint 3rd, 1 behind the joint leaders Cabrera and Perry who have completed the 4th

mcilroy is 2under for the day and overall, tied for 23 starting the 18th

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:48 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

and we have a 3 way play off, Perry, Campbell, and Cabrera, all 12 under after 72 holes, they will keep playing the 18th and 10 till they have a winner

it could be a late night

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:10 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

after the three man play off on the 18th, its now a two man play off on the 10th, Perry and Cabrera.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:25 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

and Cabrera is champion

0021: Perry needs to hole this long-range effort... but it stays low and Cabrera has two for the championship... Cabrera's first putt curls wide, but no mistake with his second - he taps in from a few inches, punches the air and that's some effort from the Argentine, now a two-time major winner.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Stat attack:

Longest driver of the week - Dustin Johnson, average 308.38 yards. Rory McIlroy third on 293.

Best putter of the week - Steve Flesch (av. 1.50 per green)

Most accurate driver - Ian Poulter (89.29% fairways hit)

Most greens in regulation - Kenny Perry (77.46%)

Hardest hole - par-four 11th (av. 4.3288)

Easiest hole - par-five 15th (av. 4.5719)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:56 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Moving house the weekend of this tournament. I hope that Disc on the roof is pointing in the right direction for Freesat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:07 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
McIlroy now the number 1 golfer in the world.

Quote:
Rory McIlroy moved to the top of the world rankings after winning the Honda Classic by two strokes in Florida.

The 22-year-old from Northern Ireland showed great resolve, dropping only one shot in a final round of 69 for a 12-under-par total.
He withstood a superb final day charge from Tiger Woods, the youngest man to reach the number one spot, who had two eagles in a 62 to share second.

Lee Westwood had five birdies and an eagle in a 63 for fourth place.

It was a final round full of character from McIlroy, who has grown significantly in stature since imploding at last year's Masters with a closing 80 having led by four shots going into the final round.

The Northern Irishman becomes the second youngest player to reach number one.

He claimed his first title as a 19-year-old at the Dubai Desert Classic in 2009, secured his first major at last year's US Open and also won the Hong Kong Open in December.

Since the USPGA Championship last August he has played in 11 ranking events and finished outside the top-five in only one of them.
This season he reached the final of the World Match Play event in Arizona, losing to Hunter Mahan in the final last weekend.

The final round was brought forward because of the threat of thunderstorms but though the conditions were breezy in the early part of the day they eased somewhat and were played out in warm afternoon sunshine.

McIlroy needed some calm up and downs from around the greens to salvage pars early in his round, and when veteran Tom Gillis bogeyed his second hole in succession at the 10th, his young playing partner had a comfortable four-shot advantage with eight holes to play.

However, McIlroy hit a wayward drive at the 12th and dropped his first shot in 23 holes when he missed from 15 feet for par.

The drama intensified when Woods, who collected an eagle and three birdies in his first 11 holes to move into contention having been nine shots off the pace in joint 18th overnight, birdied the 17th and 18th in vintage fashion.

Having holed a huge putt at the par-three 17th, the last of the famous Bear Trap holes, the 36-year-old landed an imperious iron shot from a hanging lie in the semi rough on the final fairway onto the front of the green and set up an eagle chance to take him within one shot of McIlroy.

He duly rolled the eight-foot putt into the centre of the hole and saluted the exuberant crowd with a trademark fist pump, but McIlroy restored a two-stroke cushion after pitching superbly from 92 yards to five feet at the 13th.

McIlroy found a perilous spot in thick rough to the right of the 14th green but produced a deft chip and run down the hill to three feet and comfortably saved par.

His tee shot at the next went left into the bunker but despite a stone near his ball he splashed out to six feet and calmly stroked in the putt.

At the 17th, another par-three with water guarding the green, McIlroy found the bunker with his tee shot but escaped magnificently again to three feet and demonstrated admirable composure once more to hole the putt in the middle of the cup.

Another assured putt from four feet secured a closing par five and saw him replace Luke Donald as the new world number one.

Westwood, who played the first three rounds with Woods, also produced a superb final day display, a birdie chance slipping narrowly by at the 16th and another at the last for a round of 62 also passing agonisingly past the cup.

Joint halfway leader Justin Rose had reached nine under but found the water at the 15th, the first of the Bear Trap holes, and dropped another shot at the 17th to finish with a 70 and a share of fifth.

McIlroy, who becomes the 16th number one player to reach the number one position, said: "First and foremost it's great to win this tournament, it's got a long history.

"It was tough today especially seeing Tiger make a charge. I knew par golf would probably be good enough and that's what I was trying to do. My short game felt great all week and definitely saved me a few times today."

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:00 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Here's hoping Mcllroy and Woods last pairing, last day, reach Amen Corner on the same score

Saying that, I'd quite like Luke Donald to win.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:09 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
I would like Poulter to do well, seems like a top guy, and his Ryder Cup heroics were amazing. :cool:

Doesn't really seem to show up for the majors.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:59 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

A lot of people are going for Rose.

The Masters are generally won by those who are putting well, due to the combination of massive fairways and fast, hazardous greens (ie. even poor driving should do ok, but poor putting will finish you).

Rose's putting has been doing well, however he is not American, and Americans tend to win this competition. Thus I'm going for an American who's putting well at the moment. My Choices:

Woods (to win)
Zach Johnson
Furyk
Kaymer

All of them off to decent starts, although Kaymer has a fair bit to play.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Looks like we may get a play off between Scott and Cabrera. Day one behind after having a 2 shot lead after 14.

But with age my hopes have faded

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next