AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mayweather Reluctant To Fight Pacquiao
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
The dream fight shimmers in the Nevada desert like a mirage.

Sometimes it seems so close you feel you can reach out and touch it. The moment you try, it slips away into the hazy distance.

Manny Pacquiao versus Floyd Mayweather is Salome in her seven veils. Exquisitely desirable, tormentingly untouchable.

The dance goes on here this week. On and on.

Dream fight: Talk of a potential bout with Floyd Mayweather Jnr has dominated Manny Pacquiao's preparations ahead of his clash with Juan Manuel Marquez

Mayweather, the man who would be pound-for-pound king, books the roped ballroom for a spring assignation. Pacquiao, who currently reigns supreme over the multi-weight divisions, accepts the invitation but expects to be stood up by his suitor come May 5.

We, the millions of prospective witnesses, are pregnant with anticipation but fearful that the pre-nuptial negotiations will founder time and time again in the coming six months.

Leonard Ellerbe, who advises Mayweather on such affairs, says the time has come for this prolonged courtship to reach its enriching fruition.
Bob Arum, who minds Pacquiao’s interests, believes that promise will be broken.

Richard Schaefer, Mayweather’s Golden Boy promoter, confirms that the MGM Grand Garden has been reserved for the union the whole world wants to see.

Arum, whose latest function will fill that arena this Saturday night for the conclusion of Pacquiao's epic trilogy against Juan Manuel Marquez, suggests it would have been a good idea to talk to him and his PacMan first, adding: '

What if we can make even more millions at the new Cowboys Stadium in Dallas?’

They bicker over which of these two great boxers is the biggest draw in the giddy world of pay-per-view television.

Money talks; Mayewather v Pacquiao could be the first-ever $100m fight in the history of boxing

Does it really matter? If they make their tryst, this is certain to be the prize-ring’s first $100million extravaganza. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that they might even bank $100m each.

There comes a point when the numbers are so big that the noughts are no longer the argument.

The first question is whether they really want to do it.
Pacquiao is distracted enough by his duties as a Filipino Congressman and really should be focussing totally now on Marquez – who has run him fingernail close twice before – but he takes more time out to say: ‘I don’t know if Floyd is serious but if he is, then of course I will fight him.’

The other question is whether Mayweather is merely trying to upstage this Saturday’s event. He’s done it before.

Whenever the mythical Big One has neared reality Floyd Jnr has raised objections. Most stubbornly of all he insists that Pacquiao, who has a phobia about giving blood, must submit to random Olympic standard drugs testing before they set about cutting each other to pieces.

ImageImage
Calling the shots: Pacquiao's promoter Arum and Mayweather's adviser Ellerbe

Pacquiao agreed as much months ago but Mayweather has kept coming up with more niggling demands. He doesn’t like Arum, from whom he split acrimoniously some years back, profiting from the promotion.

Now, lurking behind the sudden apparent willingness to stop the interminable talking and start getting ready for the fighting, is the issue which will tell us whether he really is ready for the fight of his life.

Arum flags it up: ‘Manny has said okay to all the blood testing but one thing we will not accept is a prohibition on training outside the US.’

Pacquiao always begins his preparations in his native Philippines, before moving to the Los Angeles gym of his master coach Freddie Roach for the last month of training.

Mayweather wants the United States Olympic Committee to conduct the testing but they have no authority, nor any desire, to do so in a country outside their jurisdiction.

Pacquaio is willing for the World Anti-Doping Association – which outranks the USOC. – to undertake the testing in Manilla.

That seems reasonable to the rest of us. Whether Mayweather agrees remains to be seen.

Frankly, if he does not, he will leave us to assume that this is just another tease.

And that the spirit of Salome lives on… along the Las Vegas Strip.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:50 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

US boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr has been jailed for 90 days by a Las Vegas court after pleading guilty to assaulting his ex-girlfriend, Josie Harris, in 2010.

He was also ordered to pay a fine of $2,500 (£1,600) and complete 100 hours of community service.

Mayweather, 34, agreed to a plea deal, meaning he will not have to answer felony charges of beating Ms Harris and threatening two of their children.

Prosecutors said Mayweather's history meant jail time was appropriate.

"He just continually gets himself into trouble and he is able to get himself out of it as well,"

Prosecutor Lisa Luzaich told Judge Melissa Saragosa.

"Essentially it is because he is who he is and is able to get away with everything. The only thing that's going to get this man's attention is incarceration."

Mayweather has been told to report to jail on 6 January.

His jail sentence means he will be released only two months before a major fight against the Philippines' Manny Pacquiao, scheduled to take place on 5 May.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:55 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Shocking. :|

Another excuse not to fight Pacquiao... :coat:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:25 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

At least he is still undefeated.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Floyd Mayweather Jr has had his jail sentence delayed until June - so he can fight on May 5.

Mayweather is scheduled to fight against and as-yet-unnamed opponent in Las Vegas on that date.

That was taken into account by a judge on Friday when Mayweather had been due to report to jail.

He has been allowed to delay his sentence until June 1.

Mayweather was last month sentenced to 90 days in prison after pleading guilty to reduced battery domestic violence and harassment charges.

Mayweather's plea deal avoided a trial on felony allegations that he hit his former girlfriend and threatened two of their children during an argument at her home in September last year.

The 34-year-old, who has held world championship titles in five divisions, was also order to complete 100 hours of community service and pay a £1,600 fine

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

What are the odds on him never serving these 90 days?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think he'll do about 30 days of it and get early release standard Hollywood justice.

The cost of protecting him plus the fact he's low risk means he'll be top of the early release list.

Thinks it's crazy that he's allowed to delay his prison time because he light have a fight in May. Lock him up now and force him to cancel his fight which will also hurt him financially.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:46 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
"@FloydMayweather: Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see."

"@FloydMayweather: My Jail Sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up Punk."

[ Post made via Android ] Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:14 pm 
Major General
Major General

Serbinator wrote:
"@FloydMayweather: Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see."

"@FloydMayweather: My Jail Sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up Punk."

:yay:

If this fight happens I'll jizz myself.

Pity Bob Arum is doing everything in his power to stop the fight from happening.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:47 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
(Not a boxing fan generally)

Who's Bob Arum and why doesn't he want it to happen?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:44 am 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

Riquelminho wrote:
Serbinator wrote:

:yay:

If this fight happens I'll jizz myself.

Pity Bob Arum is doing everything in his power to stop the fight from happening.

It's amazing how tough he is when giving Manny short notice for a fight. Now he can say "I put the challenge out and he didn't accept"

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:00 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Short notice?

Boxers generally do 3-4 fights a year. Paquaio has 4 months notice. That's plenty of time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:00 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

God I hope this happens will definitely be staying up for this one.

Seems to me that whoever they had been lining up for May 5th (possibly Khan?) has either pulled out or is no longer considered the money maker that he was a few weeks back.

This fight has been hyped up long enough lets get it on and settle it once and for all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Manny Pacquiao has paved the way for the world's first-ever $100million super-fight with Floyd Mayweather after declaring 'this is the fight the world wants'.

The Philippine superstar was responding after unbeaten American Mayweather called Pacquiao and demanded the pair finally collide on May 5.

However Pacquiao admitted he wants the bout to be stagedd later on in May and raised doubt as to whether Mayweather could guarantee his side of the lucrative purse.

Pac man: Manny Pacquiao's camp are hoping for a later fight date

'This is the fight the world wants,' said Pacquiao.

'Mayweather wants a guaranteed purse so what he has to do is get a promoter who can give him the guarantee.

'I don’t have problems getting a guarantee because I have a promoter who will give me my guaranteed purse.

'If he gets a guarantee, then we are going to share the revenue on a 50-50 basis.'

And Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum added: 'There is no problem on our part - the problem is on Mayweather’s.

'Mayweather needs somebody on his side that’s going to guarantee his purse.

'Mayweather has nobody on his side and GBP (Oscar de la Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions) is not going to guarantee his purse.'

Challenge: Mayweather has called out Manny Pacquiao

Mayweather has used Twitter to call on MPacquiao to make their long-awaited fight happen.

Speculation over the two celebrated fighters meeting has been building for a long time but was dealt a blow when Mayweather was handed a 90-day jail term for domestic violence.

New hope arrived last week when a judge agreed to let Mayweather's sentence begin from June 1 and now the undefeated American has gone public with his preferred date.

In a typically provocative post on his Twitter feed, Mayweather wrote: 'Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see.'

Pay day: The fight is set to be the richest in history

He followed with a second message that read: 'My jail sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up punk.'

Mayweather has the 17,000-capacity MGM Grand in Las Vegas booked for a May 5.

But Pacquiao's team believe they can secure an extra $30m - £13million - in funds if they were to delay that date and wait for the completion of a 45,000-capacity arena that is being built in the Nevada state.

Pacquiao’s financial advisor Michael Koncz said: 'Why would I tell Manny to fight on 5 May and throw away a percentage of $30m? That’s crazy.'

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:18 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I personally would have thought Mayweather was the bigger draw of the two. Being American and someone who polarises opinions on him everywhere.

If the fight goes through then we should have a cracker. I still reckon it'll be an easy points win to Mayweather.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:00 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
I personally would have thought Mayweather was the bigger draw of the two. Being American and someone who polarises opinions on him everywhere.

If the fight goes through then we should have a cracker. I still reckon it'll be an easy points win to Mayweather.

I'd say Pacquiao has more worldwide appeal than Mayweather as lets face it he isn't as big a bell end when it comes to flashing his cash around. From what I've seen of him he looks like quite a nice guy does a lot for where he comes from so worldwide he probably has the draw. Plus he's arguably as big as Mayweather when it comes to the big Vegas fights. You have to remember that Mayweather is going to prison for hitting his wife/girlfriend which probably hasn't gone down well with a lot of people.

I think Pacquiao's team will delay the fight until that new arena is built double the attendance will be a lot of money and since Mayweather can't get the purse guarentee he wants he might have to wait until he's out of prison to get the fight on.

I agree regarding the results I don't think Manny has the power to knock out Floyd and Floyd knows exactly what to do to win fights on points so that to me seems the most likely outcome.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

i think the key has to be, which one has deteriorated least by the time they eventually fight

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:12 pm 
Major General
Major General

Serbinator wrote:

Pacquiao's manager/ promoter.

Manny is his cash cow, and Manny's performances haven't been up to scratch in the past couple of fights. Fighting Mayweather and losing would effectively end Arum as a promoter and he wouldn't get much money in subseqent fights.

He'd rather milk Pacquiao for as much money as he can before fighting Mayweather, which is why he's offered Manny 4 fighters to pick from, none of whom are Mayweather.

I hope Manny for his own sake just takes the fight on and ignores whatever bullsh*t Arum puts in front of him.

FTR I used to think Manny would beat Mayweather, but that opinion has since changed. Floyd is one of the hardest trainers in any sport, and has hardly deteriorated. Manny seems to have lost a lot of his speed and sharpness. Floyd would most likely win, but if anyone is going to challenge the dominance of Mayweather in this era and test him to his limits (and possibly even beat him if he rediscovers his old form), it's Manny Pacquiao.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:39 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Riquelminho wrote:
Serbinator wrote:

Pacquiao's manager/ promoter.

Manny is his cash cow, and Manny's performances haven't been up to scratch in the past couple of fights. Fighting Mayweather and losing would effectively end Arum as a promoter and he wouldn't get much money in subseqent fights.

He'd rather milk Pacquiao for as much money as he can before fighting Mayweather, which is why he's offered Manny 4 fighters to pick from, none of whom are Mayweather.

I hope Manny for his own sake just takes the fight on and ignores whatever bullsh*t Arum puts in front of him.

FTR I used to think Manny would beat Mayweather, but that opinion has since changed. Floyd is one of the hardest trainers in any sport, and has hardly deteriorated. Manny seems to have lost a lot of his speed and sharpness. Floyd would most likely win, but if anyone is going to challenge the dominance of Mayweather in this era and test him to his limits (and possibly even beat him if he rediscovers his old form), it's Manny Pacquiao.

I agree Mayweather would win. He wouldn't take the fight unless he was confident he would win. I remember when he fought Del la Hoya. People thought DLH could take him on, and led on points halfway through the fight. But Mayweather knew DLH peaked early in his career and would not have the stamina to last 12 rounds. Mayweather more or less won the last 6 rounds and took the fight.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:48 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Looks like it isnt happening again then.

...and this is why boxing isnt as popular as it could be whilst the UFC is. You want the alleged best in the world to fight each other? Dont expect it in boxing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next