The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Ashes 2013
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:48 pm 
Major General
Major General

England finally stretched australia but couldnt push them over.Englands hope was on pitch through out morning many thoughts play could be abandoned if anyone gets injured.

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Seen a lot of people calling for major changes but this isn't the time to be dropping players or even changing captain as some have suggested.

This lot in the next 2 tests need to show why they have those spots and if they don't then maybe some of the senior players like KP, Swann & Prior need to have a look at themselves.

In all departments we've been poor batting, bowling & fielding not good enough so rather than pin it on individuals it really goes down as a team failure.

Australia at home with their tales up is not the time to be throwing in a load of inexperienced players.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:51 am 
Major General
Major General

Some of those, who are, calling axe needs to look at themselves and their own career rather than lashing out on likes of KP Cook who are genuine world class players and one bad series suddenly shouldnt make them all a poor cricketer.

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:54 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The thing that annoys me with KP is why people expect any different from him he's done it for over 100 tests now so why expect any different.

He has a way of playing that when he is on form is unplayable when he's timing his shots he will put 100-150 on the board quickly and in style but when he's out of form he'll get out mistiming a shot he plays adventurous attacking cricket as that is how he wants to play the game. It's up to the selectors to decide if they want that sort of player in the line up and surely you can take a gamble on one of your batters playing that way? Obviously it would be great if he could switich it on and off and play sensible shots when England need to dig in but thats not his game and he's probably just as likely to get out playing safe as he is attacking because it's not in his nature to do so.

As for Cook he just needs to play through this bad spell there isn't really much to say he's not captaining the side badly he is just in poor form he's not scoring runs and leading from the front like he did a few years back and in the field his trusted bowlers aren't bowling well and the team are dropping catches. I don't think it's a case of anyone not trying they've just lost there swagger and maybe got a bit to cocky beating Australia in England without actually playing that well has maybe made them a little bit over confident.

Australia on the other hand look a much hungrier side at home with Warner leading the charge with the bat and Johnson intimidating with the ball England have just looked in shock and you have to credit Australia they've been relentless.

This side probably does need a bit of freshening up but you don't do that half way through a series and you don't chuck them all out at once you ease them in gradually with the senior players around them to guide them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:34 pm 
Major General
Major General

Who would you replace and with whom? ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Graeme Swann has taken the unprecedented step of retiring in the middle of an Ashes series. There are always casualties when England lose badly to Australia but usually they are restricted to those in charge. Clearly Swann, England's most successful spinner since Derek Underwood, has had enough of being pummelled by the Australians.
Swann retires after playing 60 Tests for England, with the 255 wickets he took placing him sixth in England's all-time list. He has also retired from first-class cricket with Nottinghamshire but says he may yet be tempted by the Indian Premier League.
"After a great deal of consideration I have decided to call it a day on my international and first-class career," he said. "This decision has been very difficult seeing as the England team has been my family for seven years now but I feel that now is the right time to step down."
In his Sun on Sunday column he added: "I came to Australia in the hope of winning our fourth Ashes series on the trot but that's now impossible. So it's time for someone else to buckle in and enjoy the ride. I could have made myself available for the last two Tests and maybe had a bit of a send-off from the Barmy Army. But that's no reason to hang on for two more games. I like to be the centre of attention – but for the right reasons by winning cricket games."
Swann later appeared at a press conference on Sunday to talk about his retirement. "I know I'm making a decision for the right reasons," he said. "My body doesn't like playing five-day cricket any more and I don't feel like I can justify my spot in the team in the last stages of a game.
"As a spinner, that's when you need to come into your own. Me hanging around with a decision already made in my head wouldn't be right. It would be selfish for me to carry on."
England have not threatened to do that on this tour and Swann has had a miserable time on the pitch. There has been a concerted Australian plan, which has obviously been extraordinarily effective, to target Swann, who has been such a vital component in England's recent success. He has never been hit for six so often since beginning his Test career five years ago. Moreover the Australian bowlers have neutered him as a batsman. Swann has always been the most gifted driver of a cricket ball. He has had nothing to drive in Australia. Instead he has been constantly peppered by Ryan Harris and Mitchell Johnson.
The timing is bizarre. Swann implies that an early withdrawal is a selfless act – to give someone else a chance (initially it will be Monty Panesar, who has been grabbing some timely practice in grade cricket in Sydney over the weekend). The alternative view is that with the ship listing badly all available hands on deck would have been handy. And presumably he has signed a contract.
Swann himself said he could have retired after England's victory in the previous Ashes series. "Why didn't I stop then? I knew more or less that the time was coming up," he said. "But I'd never forgive myself – we had the chance to potentially come out here and win four Ashes series on the bounce.
"It's easy to wish you'd gone out taking 10-for in your last game and being hoisted on people's shoulders."
However, now he has decided that he had had enough. As a Test cricketer he has been a crucial member of the England side, initially defying the experts who felt that finger-spinning was a futile, dying art, and he has brought smiles to countless faces along the way. No doubt he will continue to do that in front of microphones. On the field he will be incredibly hard to replace.
England's team director, Andy Flower, paid tribute to the spinner: "Graeme Swann has made an outstanding contribution to the England cricket team in all formats throughout an incredibly successful career and I would like to congratulate him on all that he has achieved. His commitment, competitive spirit and sense of humour have been recognised and admired by team-mates and supporters alike and he has played a big part in England's success over the last five years.
"The dressing room will be a very different place without Graeme's unique personality and I would like to wish him all the very best for the future."
Swann received praise from his opposite number in the Australian team, Nathan Lyon.
"He's someone who I've looked up to a lot," said Lyon on the Cricket Australia website. "His career stats stand for themselves. He's been an unbelievable spinner and someone who I watched pretty closely in my time.
"I'm sure he will be sorely missed in the England team but I wish him all the best in the future."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:09 pm 
Major General
Major General

Ooh didnt saw it coming :/ England in complete turmoil now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:06 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Whitewash coming up. We're 17/4

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:31 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
23/5 - This is hilarious in it's own sick way.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:48 am 
Major General
Major General

63 /6 last time i checked.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:32 am 
Major General
Major General

Bundled out in 31 overs , 5-0! to Aussies.