It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Boxing Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:08 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
borocooper wrote:
Nice one on the bet, what odds did you get for that?

It was around 16-1.. give or take a couple, seen it at 18s also.

That's if it was pre-fight anyway

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Nice one JSP.

I had round 7-9 on Betfair as they were refunding bets if it finished on points. £40 profit there!

Was a damn sweet punch from Froch. But I didn't think he was as far ahead as the commentators were making out. I thought it would have levelled up at the end of the 8th. 4 rounds each.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Had it at 16-1 :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:45 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Nice!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

And the fight that should have been announced 5 yrs ago is happening. May 2nd. Mayweather vs Pacman.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:48 pm 
Major General
Major General

Even if it is 7 years too late. I bet a good proportion of the world's population will be watching.

I cannot wait!

:yaay: :buzzin:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:51 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Everyone should be looking forward to the fight but it's a shame these guys never did it 5 years ago they could've had a number of great fights but politics allowed to get in the way.

This is where boxing has a problem to many governing bodies mean they can't force to here big fights to happen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:36 am 
Major General
Major General

Finally :thumbup: .. Everything is politics nowadays from Oscar to sports .. Deal with it ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Floyd Mayweather’s decision to give up his world titles before his 49th and allegedly final fight in September is a devastating blow not just for Amir Khan, who was near the head of the queue as his opponent, but for the administrators who have been in charge of the sport for 30 years.

Mayweather did more than upset three of the four main world governing bodies when he announced his intention to surrender their baubles and say goodbye to boxing unencumbered by their sanction fees. He might yet fight Khan but his call adds only confusion to the process.

His statement – delivered in a low-key aside in the moments after beating Manny Pacquiao here on Saturday night to unify the WBA, WBC and WBO welterweight titles – constitutes the biggest challenge to professional boxing’s status quo in modern times. It could change the sport and the business forever. Whether it is for the better is too early to say.

Whatever happens in the coming weeks, Mayweather, 38 and weary, is not just vacating the titles to give other, younger fighters a chance, as he characterised it; he is giving his business partners, the obsessively private Al Haymon and the more publicly prominent Lou Ellerbe, the opportunity to build a new power base on free-to-air television, with new “world” titles under the name Premier Boxing Champions, contested exclusively by fighters signed to Haymon’s stable.

Haymon, whose brother Bobby fought Sugar Ray Leonard (as did Floyd’s father), is a Harvard-educated music promoter who travels incognito and has no office. He works so far behind the scenes he is invisible. The Ghost, as Mayweather calls him, is a playmaker like no other because he does not adhere to the accepted rules.

Khan is among nearly 100 fighters who have agreements with Haymon. Twice he has been close to fighting Mayweather, frustrated each time. Like the rest of them, he will not be concerned that Haymon is under attack from the Association of Boxing Commissions for an alleged conflict of interest under the Muhammad Ali Act for operating as a manager and promoter for some fighters.

His is a model built on Dana White’s UFC mixed martial arts format, a product that has also challenged mainstream boxing, although ratings have dipped recently. Le Journal de Montréal claims PBC is poised to replace the established rulers. “The PBC belts are in production in a company in England,” the paper says. “They would be ready in a few weeks, according to several [sources] but it is unclear when they will make their official appearance in the world of boxing.”

Haymon knows that fighters will fight for any belt offered, as long as they are getting paid. Fans will watch any fight, as long as it is competitive. The governing bodies will sanction any fight, as long as they are getting their fee. Television will screen any fight they think will draw enough clicks to satisfy advertisers or, at the top end, generate enough interest for pay-per-view.

At the heart of that forest of compromise for most of his 18-plus years as a professional has been the man who has made more money from boxing than any other, Floyd Mayweather. But he is done with the governing bodies now. They are of no further use to him. He has not yet chosen the opponent for his farewell appearance, and there will be no title at stake other than the kudos and cash that goes with sharing a ring with the self-proclaimed TBE.

Mayweather is not The Best Ever in the opinion of most informed observers. That crown is reserved for Sugar Ray Robinson, at welterweight as well as pound-for-pound. Nevertheless Mayweather is the best pure boxer of his generation and by some way the most influential individual in his sport.

Nobody has more clout in boxing than the fighter born into poverty and hardship in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and who has gone to amass more wealth than any single figure in the history of his sport.

On 11 March NBC broadcasted the first free-to-air boxing programme in the United States for 30 years, three decades when the sport shrank from view on subscription and pay-per-view outlets. It was a good but not outstanding bout, Keith Thurman – a possible challenger for Mayweather – outpointing Robert Guerrero, who was Mayweather’s last mandatory challenger, losing to him on points in May 2013.

That night Guerrero brought with him to the ring the interim WBC welterweight belt and Mayweather schooled him to turn it into the commission’s regular version – and herein lies the nub of boxing’s problems. All the four world governing bodies (an absurd concept in the first place) have so confused fans and even fighters with their multi-layered versions of titles as to render many “world” title fights meaningless.

The Guerrero fight was Mayweather’s first in a six-bout deal with Showtime, after 23 fights on the spin for HBO. That contract expires in September. It is the end of an era. Where Mayweather, Haymon and Ellerbe take boxing now nobody knows. But it will not be dull.

This will probably be the sort of shake up that boxing needs it will suck in all the top fighters in the world and get them fighting each other on a regular basis the old system is broken as they've said you can't have up to 4 world champions at every weight division it doesn't make any sense how do you sell that?

This will also mean a champ has to be a fighting champion he can't dodge fights if this had been in place 5 years ago we would've got the fight we all wanted back then when athletes were at their peaks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:38 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Nick Blackwell is in an induced coma after his fight with CBJ last night.

Hope he makes a full recovery. His corner probably should have thrown the towel in earlier but that's easy to say with hindsight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:56 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

His eye man.. Can't believe they just let it carry on.