AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tennis 2013
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:18 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

This sudden form from Konta makes me wonder. PED's have a big effect in a lot of sports at the moment.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
She's been putting it down to a sports psychologist she's been using to help her realise Tennis isn't important and to play each point as it comes rather than worrying about where it could lead too.

The woman she played in the quarters had lost her last 14 grand slams games and was 0-14 before this week so another vastly improved performance. It does look slightly suspicious but it's a shame we think like that now days.

Tennis I think is one of the cleaner sports they take a hell of a lot of test. I'd be more worried if it was the men's side. I think in the women's side outside of the top 3 they are all so closely matched that you get a run of results and confidence is enough to push you forward.

Watson rode the crest of a wave at Wimbledon last year.

Two years back Robson was beating top 10 players now she's losing to number 300 odd in the world in the third tier of tennis.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:14 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Former world number one Maria Sharapova has revealed she failed a drugs test at the Australian Open.

The Russian, 28, tested positive for meldonium, a substance she has been taking since 2006 for health issues.

The International Tennis Federation (ITF) said the five-time Grand Slam champion would be provisionally suspended from 12 March.

Sportswear company Nike said it was halting its relationship with her until the investigation was complete.

"I did fail the test and take full responsibility for it," said Sharapova, who won Wimbledon as a 17-year-old in 2004.

Sharapova has been the highest-earning female athlete in the world in each of the past 11 years, according to the Forbes list.

With career earnings from tennis alone amounting to almost £26m, she claimed she had taken meldonium "for the past 10 years" after being given it by "my family doctor" but had known the drug as mildronate.

"A few days ago, after I received a letter from the ITF, I found out it also has another name of meldonium, which I did not know," she said.

Sharapova's lawyer, John Haggerty, told Sports Illustrated he was hopeful the player would avoid a lengthy ban.

"We think there is a laundry list of extremely mitigating circumstances that, once taken into consideration, would result in dramatically reducing any sanction that they might want to impose on Maria," he said.

Yeah right you've been caught take the consequence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:40 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
bit dodgy, ban a drug, two weeks later test someone who has been using it for 10 years and then ban them. Plus it goes by more than one name.

A short ban would do in this case I would think.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I believe the reason it was banned is it's long been suspected that it's used by athletes for performance enhancing reasons rather than for medical reasons as it's designed to help with heart problems but an unusually high number of athletes take it.

I don't know for sure but I'm guessing athletes are warned well in advance of any changes so changes coming in from 1st Jan would've been known well in advance to give athletes time to adjust as all drugs take time to clear out of your system naturally. Also, if you do need to take medicine for a genuine medical reason you can declare it to WADA and get special dispensation for example athletes who suffer from Asthma are allowed to take some medicine listed on the banned list as long as they can prove they suffer with a medical condition.

It sounds to me like she's just trying to get out ahead of it in the hope they'll give her a small ban as this way she can control the PR spin on the whole thing as she has a huge multi million $ brand to protect she doesn't want to be the Tennis version of Lance Armstrong and lose everything.

Athletes have huge teams around them to make sure everything they put in their body complies with the rules around testing it sounds to me like someone dropped the ball and didn't realise the drug she was taking would now cause her to fail a test as she wasn't taking the exact drug on the banned list but it is obviously very similar to it hence why she's failed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Maria Sharapova's failed drugs test is a "game-changer for life, not just for tennis", says her former coach.

Nick Bollettieri also told the BBC he was shocked the former world number one had tested positive because "she has always been above board in everything".

But the 84-year-old American added: "Everybody must accept responsibilities for everything they do in life."

Sharapova, 28, has taken meldonium for health reasons since 2006, but it became a banned substance in 2016.

The Russian revealed she tested positive after losing to Serena Williams at the Australian Open in January.

The International Tennis Federation said Sharapova would be provisionally suspended from 12 March.

She could face up to a four-year ban.

Bollettieri said he believed Sharapova had made a "very honest mistake" and had not taken the drug to gain an unfair advantage.

"She said she took these for many, many years and then didn't read the memorandum that came out," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

"She said she will accept the consequences, but she hopes and prays that she can be allowed to play again. What else can you say?

"I don't think that Maria Sharapova would continue doing something, especially being in the limelight, if there was something she knew about."

Bollettieri said he hoped tennis authorities would look back on her achievements in the game and allow her to play again.

"It's kind of tough to find a black mark against her," he said. "She certainly does not want to go out of tennis in this way."

Sportswear company Nike said it was ending its association with Sharapova until investigations are complete.

Watch manufacturer Tag Heuer have already said it does not plan to extend its contract with the 2004 Wimbledon champion.

Porsche have also postponed planned activities with the player

"I did fail the test and take full responsibility for it," said Sharapova.

With career earnings from tennis alone amounting to almost £26m, she claimed she had taken meldonium "for the past 10 years" after being given it by "my family doctor" but had known the drug as mildronate.

Meanwhile, Russia's tennis chief says he expects Sharapova to play at the 2016 Olympics despite her failed drugs test.

The Games in Rio de Janeiro start on 5 August.

"I think this is just a load of nonsense," Russian Tennis Federation president Shamil Tarpishchev told the TASS news agency.

"I think Sharapova will play at the Olympics.

"The sportsmen take what they are given by the physiotherapists and by the doctors. However, we will need to see how this will develop."

WTA chief executive Steve Simon told BBC Radio 5 live that the maximum suspension she could receive is four years.

He added: "The range that has been discussed so far is between six months and four years. It'll be up to the independent tribunal to go through and review it to make that determination."

Former UK Sport anti-doping chief Michele Verroken says Sharapova could receive some leniency if she can prove she needed to take meldonium for medical purposes.

Verroken told BBC Radio Five Live: "The challenge facing Maria Sharapova and her team is to bring forward the diagnostic evidence that she has a condition that required the prescription of this treatment."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Maria Sharapova "must accept responsibility" for failing a drugs test and serve her ban, according to Andy Murray.

The five-time Grand Slam winner, 28, revealed on Monday that she tested positive for meldonium in January.

"Clearly if you are taking performance-enhancing drugs and you fail a drugs test, you have to get suspended," said Briton Murray, the world number two.

Russian Sharapova will be provisionally suspended from 12 March.

The former world number one says she has been taking the drug, which was added to he World Anti-Doping Agency's banned list on 1 January, for health reasons for the past 10 years.

Sharapova is one of several athletes to have tested positive for the heart drug, including 1500m world champion Abeba Aregawi, 2015 Tokyo Marathon winner Endeshaw Negesse and Russian ice dancer Ekaterina Bobrova.

"I think, since 1 January, there have been 55 different athletes who have failed tests for meldonium," Murray told BBC Radio 5 live.

"I find it strange that there's a prescription drug used for heart conditions and so many athletes competing at the top level of their sport would have that condition. That sounds a bit off to me."

Murray also said tennis needed to do more to combat the threat of doping.

"It's better than it was a few years ago," he said. "Last year I certainly got tested a lot, but this year I have been tested twice, three months into the year, which clearly is not enough."

Women's world number one Serena Williams said Sharapova's positive test was not indicative of a wider drug problem within tennis.

"We live in a massive world with billions of people and we have a few people that do things and it makes people scared, but that doesn't make the whole world a bad place," she said. "That's the same thing with tennis.

"The majority of the players really pride themselves on having integrity and playing with that."

Williams, who said she was "terrified" of taking any supplements, has offered her support to Sharapova, saying she had shown "a lot of courage".

That there tells you all you need to know as to why it's been banned just seems crazy that with the new rule coming in the athletes doctors didn't tell them to stop taking it they either didn't know it was now banned or it's not something you can just come off.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's interesting a lot of the locker room are coming out and saying if she's been on this for 10 years she's been enhancing performance in legal means and basically cheating.

Her legal team are arguing that the dosage she was on was far too little to have any effect on performance.

I think it'll be a shame if she's banned for 4 years. At 28 that would surely be the end of her career and you're talking about one of the players of a generation to see her go out in this way would be a disappointment for the sport. I think I read somewhere it's a minimum of a 2 year ban i think even that would see her retire. She's always said she'd never play beyond 30. Though would a 2 year ban see her change her mind on that?

How about a 9 month ban let her come back for the start of next season on the provision she's retiring at the end of next season anyway as has always been what she's said.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It shouldn't matter who she is if she's cheating she gets banned I think the ban can be anything up to 4 years from what I've read I haven't seen anything the suggests a 2 year minimum for it.

All players take legal supplements to help performance or more importantly aid recovery after training one of the things she's been taking legally was banned she has to stop taking it and didn't. Why I think the full 4 years would be harsh I think it has to be at least 1 year to send out a strong message to cheats.

The fact she's close to retirement shouldn't really matter she broke the rules and cheated her competitors and should be banned if anything as an older players he should know better.

I guess her retirement plans would have to change as shed need to rebuild her brand which was the retirement plan as sponsors have been dropping her all week.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:09 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's not cheating if it's not banned though is it?

I think the problem since its ban is it is known under different names.

She should get a ban for sure, but not a huge one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:21 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Carrot wrote:

She claims she used a similar product with a different name but it's the same as the one that is banned just sold under a different name. As an athlete she has a responsibility to make sure that everything she takes complies with the rules and she messed up. It might be that someone on her medical team messed up but ultimately responsibility falls with her and she has to face up to the punishment.

We also don't know if that statement is even true it could just be something someone in her legal team spotted and used as an excuse.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:19 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

JSP wrote:
Mr Carrot wrote:

She claims she used a similar product with a different name but it's the same as the one that is banned just sold under a different name. As an athlete she has a responsibility to make sure that everything she takes complies with the rules and she messed up. It might be that someone on her medical team messed up but ultimately responsibility falls with her and she has to face up to the punishment.

We also don't know if that statement is even true it could just be something someone in her legal team spotted and used as an excuse.

I should have split that up really:

1. previous 10 years isn't cheating, as it wasn't banned.
2. I think her problem and others was it went by many different names. I know she needs a ban, but there should be some leeway seeing as it had only been banned for a matter of weeks after years of being legal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:47 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Carrot wrote:
I should have split that up really:

1. previous 10 years isn't cheating, as it wasn't banned.
2. I think her problem and others was it went by many different names. I know she needs a ban, but there should be some leeway seeing as it had only been banned for a matter of weeks after years of being legal.

1. 100% agree those 10 years are fine if it's not on the banned list you can't retrospectively apply rules.

2. I still don't buy that argument from her camp she'll be paying someone a lot of money to make sure she stays a clean athlete in terms of testing and that person(s) should've known that what she was taking was now banned. The way the system works is it's not necessarily the drug itself that is banned but something contained within it something in it's chemical build up that is banned so once that chemical or combination of chemicals is added to the banned list everything that contains that configuration is banned. Sounds to me like the best case is someone in her team dropped the ball and made a mistake which is why the full 4 year sentence is harsh especially when she failed it within a month of it coming in but she still deserves a ban and anything less than a year just doesn't feel harsh enough.

My personal opinion is for those 10 years she knew she was taking it for performance enhancing reasons not medical ones and the rules finally caught up with her but her team didn't react well enough to keep up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:00 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Definitely taking for performance. But I image a lot of athletes push those boundaries, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The thing is at the elite level why wouldn't you push it?

There's millions of £ at stake in prize money and sponsorship money and sponsors generally want winners.

Once one person sits on the limit in terms of what's legal everyone will have to do it in order to compete and as long as you stay on the right side of the line you're fine that is what all athletes do. Some push to far and get caught others attempt to hide what they're taking but basically everyone is taking something it's just making sure your doctors know how to keep you on the right side of the testing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Bradley Wiggins said something interesting. Along the lines of 'I feel sorry for her thankfully my team are on the ball and constantly tell me which supplements I need to stop taking'

Showing that he's always in some sort of supplements that tread the line.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Exactly these athletes push themselves so hard they need help to recover because if you're not doing it but the guy next to you is how do you expect to win if he's taking something that allows him to train harder and longer than you then can't really compete.

As long as you are competing within the rules I don't see the problem.

Even things like energy drinks you have to be careful with most athletes can't take cold medicines because they have something in them that's on a banned list. There was that british skier who lost a bronze medal because he failed a test because he used a nasal spray for a cold the version he purchased in the country he was competing in had a different chemical in it to the one he used in England despite being the same brand.

I doubt she knew she was now breaking the laws Nadal was on the radio saying he doesn't read all the WADA stuff either but he has people who do and they make sure he doesn't take anything that breaks the rules.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
World number one Novak Djokovic says male tennis players should earn more money than their female counterparts because more people watch them play.

Earlier, Indian Wells tournament CEO Raymond Moore said the women's WTA Tour "ride on the coat-tails of the men".

After claiming victory at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, 11-time major winner Djokovic said the men's tennis tour "should fight for more".

But the Serb described Moore's comments as "not politically correct".

Djokovic, 28, said women "fought for what they deserve and they got it", but claimed prize money should be "fairly distributed" based on "who attracts more attention, spectators and who sells more tickets".

There has been equal prize money in all four majors - the Australian Open, US Open, French Open and Wimbledon - since 2007, and combined Masters events such as Indian Wells and Miami pay the same to men and women.

But female players are paid significantly less at women-only events when compared with similar sized men's events.

World number one Serena Williams said Moore's statement was "offensive", calling it "mistaken and very, very, very inaccurate".

"There's only one way to interpret that. Get on your knees, which is offensive enough, and thank a man," added 21-time major winner Williams, 34. "We shouldn't have to drop to our knees at any point."

Not sure what that CEO thought he was going to achieve with those comments I mean everyone sort of knows it's right but don't come out and say it because it's not going to help anything.

The whole prize money thing is an issue and at the big events you normally have a full house for most matches mens or womens

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Boris Becker has criticised Andy Murray for admitting he has been suspicious that some of his opponents may have been doping.

The two-time major winner said he had faced players and thought "they don't seem to be getting tired".

Becker, who coaches world number one Novak Djokovic, said: "Unless it's proven, they are 100% innocent."

"To assume something because somebody has won a Grand Slam or is fitter, is totally out of order."

Murray made the comments in an interview with the Mail on Sunday.

Becker was speaking at the Laureus World Sports Awards, where he said: "I believe 100% Andy is clean.

"Roger [Federer] is clean, Rafa [Nadal] is clean, all these guys are clean. Novak gets tested a lot."

So Becker is clearly unimpressed with Murray.

The German three-time Wimbledon winner was fined for suggesting a player was doping during his playing career.

In 1995, Becker lost the Monte Carlo Masters final to Thomas Muster in five sets, a day after the Austrian complained of dehydration in his semi-final.

Muster had even spent the night before the final on a drip in hospital, but won from two sets down, saving match points in the process.

Becker was fined for expressing his astonishment that his opponent had recovered so quickly, in remarks that were widely interpreted as implying Muster had taken illegal drugs.

Andy Murray has been a strong critic of Maria Sharapova after the Russian tested positive for meldonium at the Australian Open in January.

The five-time major winner blamed the use of the drug on a variety of physical ailments including a longstanding heart problem.

Murray welcomed her provisional ban, saying it showed tennis was not covering up for its "big stars".

He has been a loud voice in the call for more money to be put towards the fight against doping in tennis.

Speaking at the Indian Wells Masters in March he said: "It's better than it was a few years ago and last season I got tested loads.

"But this year I've been tested only twice so far, and we're three months into the year, which is clearly not enough."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Murray wins Wimbledon for the 2nd time

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next