AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tennis 2013
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Prime Minister David Cameron says Andy Murray deserves a knighthood after becoming the first Briton to win the Wimbledon men's singles since 1936.

Murray won the title with a 6-4 7-5 6-4 triumph against world number one Novak Djokovic on Sunday.

"I can't think of anyone who deserves one more," said Mr Cameron, who watched the match from the Royal Box.

But Murray said: "It's a nice thing to have or be offered but I don't know if it merits that."

Mr Cameron said Murray's win had "lifted the spirits of the whole country".

"It was a fantastic day for Andy Murray, for British tennis and for Britain," he added.

"We were wondering on Sunday morning, 'do we dare to dream that this is possible?' and he proved absolutely that it was."

The prime minister cannot personally award an honour to the 26-year-old, stressing that they are decided independently.

People are nominated for their achievements by members of the public and whether they are given an honour - and the type of honour - is decided by a committee.

The committee's decision goes to the prime minister and then to the Queen.

Murray was awarded an OBE in the 2013 New Year's Honours list after winning Olympic gold and the US Open last year.

On the possibility of receiving a knighthood, the Scot added: "I think just because everyone's waited for such a long time for this [winning at Wimbledon], that's probably why it will be suggested."

In the first of several interviews on Monday, Murray told BBC Breakfast that he had only slept for "about one hour" after his victory.

"You don't want to go to sleep in case you wake up and it hasn't actually happened," he said.

Murray later took part in a question and answer session on social networking site Twitter, ahead of attending promotional events for his sponsors. Murray is due to meet Mr Cameron about 16:00 BST in a special reception at Downing Street.

The Queen has awarded knighthoods to several sportsmen in recent years, including Olympic-winning cyclist Sir Bradley Wiggins in 2013 and former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson in 1999. Paralympic cyclist Sarah Storey was also made a dame in the 2013 New Year's Honours list.

Tennis Scotland chief executive David Marshall hopes Murray's success will encourage more Scottish youngsters to join their local tennis clubs.

"All of our clubs and local authorities have been working very hard to make sure tennis is open, accessible and very cheap," he told BBC Radio 5 live.

"Now we're encouraging people - not only on the Wimbledon fortnight - to get down to the tennis courts and give the game a go."

Meanwhile, former world number one John McEnroe has backed Murray to win at least six Grand Slam titles.

"He's come into his own and there's a lot to look forward to," said the American.

Murray's win against Djokovic was watched by a peak audience of more than 17m viewers on BBC One.

The Dunblane-born player dedicated the triumph, which earned him prize money of £1.6m, to his coach Ivan Lendl. The American-Czech, 53, won eight Grand Slam titles as a player in the 1980s and 1990s, but failed to win the Wimbledon men's singles.

Wait till he retires before rolling out the knighthoods FFS.

The knighthood should be something that recognises a career not an individual event I don't really like them being handed out to active sportsmen/women.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:38 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Andy Murray won his US Open on 9/11 and won his Wimbledon title on 7/7. Inspired!

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:37 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

JSP wrote:
Quote:
Prime Minister David Cameron says Andy Murray deserves a knighthood after becoming the first Briton to win the Wimbledon men's singles since 1936.

Murray won the title with a 6-4 7-5 6-4 triumph against world number one Novak Djokovic on Sunday.

"I can't think of anyone who deserves one more," said Mr Cameron, who watched the match from the Royal Box.

But Murray said: "It's a nice thing to have or be offered but I don't know if it merits that."

Mr Cameron said Murray's win had "lifted the spirits of the whole country".

"It was a fantastic day for Andy Murray, for British tennis and for Britain," he added.

"We were wondering on Sunday morning, 'do we dare to dream that this is possible?' and he proved absolutely that it was."

The prime minister cannot personally award an honour to the 26-year-old, stressing that they are decided independently.

People are nominated for their achievements by members of the public and whether they are given an honour - and the type of honour - is decided by a committee.

The committee's decision goes to the prime minister and then to the Queen.

Murray was awarded an OBE in the 2013 New Year's Honours list after winning Olympic gold and the US Open last year.

On the possibility of receiving a knighthood, the Scot added: "I think just because everyone's waited for such a long time for this [winning at Wimbledon], that's probably why it will be suggested."

In the first of several interviews on Monday, Murray told BBC Breakfast that he had only slept for "about one hour" after his victory.

"You don't want to go to sleep in case you wake up and it hasn't actually happened," he said.

Murray later took part in a question and answer session on social networking site Twitter, ahead of attending promotional events for his sponsors. Murray is due to meet Mr Cameron about 16:00 BST in a special reception at Downing Street.

The Queen has awarded knighthoods to several sportsmen in recent years, including Olympic-winning cyclist Sir Bradley Wiggins in 2013 and former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson in 1999. Paralympic cyclist Sarah Storey was also made a dame in the 2013 New Year's Honours list.

Tennis Scotland chief executive David Marshall hopes Murray's success will encourage more Scottish youngsters to join their local tennis clubs.

"All of our clubs and local authorities have been working very hard to make sure tennis is open, accessible and very cheap," he told BBC Radio 5 live.

"Now we're encouraging people - not only on the Wimbledon fortnight - to get down to the tennis courts and give the game a go."

Meanwhile, former world number one John McEnroe has backed Murray to win at least six Grand Slam titles.

"He's come into his own and there's a lot to look forward to," said the American.

Murray's win against Djokovic was watched by a peak audience of more than 17m viewers on BBC One.

The Dunblane-born player dedicated the triumph, which earned him prize money of £1.6m, to his coach Ivan Lendl. The American-Czech, 53, won eight Grand Slam titles as a player in the 1980s and 1990s, but failed to win the Wimbledon men's singles.

Wait till he retires before rolling out the knighthoods FFS.

The knighthood should be something that recognises a career not an individual event I don't really like them being handed out to active sportsmen/women.

totally agree 100% plus David Cameron is pissing me off lately, he's on everything!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:18 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

T. Robredo beat Federer in straight sets. 4th round of the US Open in which was probably his last chance to win a tourney. Nadal Murray and Djokovic are playing the best tennis of their careers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:56 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Nadal beats Djokovic in 4 to win the US Open

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:52 am 
Major General
Major General

3rd set 9th game changed it all.Djokovic is tailing federer with so many unforce errors.

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:34 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
It's one of sport's oldest debates, but it won't go away as players and top figures in tennis throw their weight behind new ideas.

It has previously been argued by some to the point of tedium that women's matches should be extended to five sets if they are to warrant receiving equal prize money, but now the attention has shifted to the other professional tour.

Victoria Azarenka has become the latest top player to argue that men's Grand Slam matches should be reduced.

The fact is, sport is becoming more and more dictated by television schedules and the demands of spectators - many of whom do not have the desire to sit through five sets.

The idea of men playing best-of-three at the Slams is not entirely far-fetched, it has to be pointed out.

Roger Federer was asked about the prospect of the four biggest events in the tennis calendar becoming like the others on the ATP Tour which follow a best-of-three format until the best-of-five final.

He had no problem with the suggestion apart from the need to reschedule the length of the Slams, believing that it would suit players, spectators and the key stakeholders of the game.

The Swiss legend did, however, point out that Grand Slams should be reduced in length to make allowances for matches being cut down to best-of-three sets.

"We shouldn’t make it a two‑week event then, I don’t think, because then it’s like a holiday," Federer said during the 2012 Western and Southern Open.

It would, of course, mean that certain historic and legendary epic matches would not come about because of the reduced format, but then many fans do not have an appetite for such encounters.

Azarenka has weighed in more heavily as the former world number one and current number two is adamant that the men's game would be more interesting if it were scaled down from five sets.

"I think there has been a lot of talk about [women playing best-of-five]," she said. "I think we can stand by one opinion that all the women have: we’re ready to play whatever it is.

"I just think that playing five sets can be very challenging for the scheduling. I actually think men should play three sets. It would be more interesting."

Andy Roddick, similarly, was asked about the same issue and believes that it is vitally important to consider the desires and requirements of the TV audience and fans at the events.

"I wouldn’t be against it," the American said. "I could easily argue both ways. From a fan perspective and a TV perspective, it would probably be easier to put together a product for TV when you know the time slots a little bit more.

"Sometimes at Slams you get a match that’s great, but it kind of makes it tricky as far as TV. That’s kind of the livelihood of healthy sport in general is TV viewership.

"Ultimately, it comes back down to what the fans want to see. I think our opinion on that sometimes is secondary to what they can sell and what they can package."

All season the best men in the world are playing best-of-three matches, but when the Grand Slams roll around they have to completely change their mentality with a best-of-five format. This is not the case in other major sports.

One of the other key aspects to this debate is that, over the course of five sets, the cream almost always rises to the top - as evidenced by the paucity of upsets at the top of the men's game.

If the format went to a best-of-three for the men, it would bring a lot more names in the game that have the ability to win a couple of sets off the top players, that much is certainly true.

Well, would it be such a bad thing to speed up the game, speed up the matches and give fans and viewers a better idea of when certain matches are actually being played at an accurate time?

It's an interesting idea but TV companies probably like the fact that the mens final is longer as it holds a captive audience for longer which means during ad breaks (obviously doesn't interest BBC) they have more space to fill and you would imagine more money to be made.

For me 3 sets is more exciting it gives the under dog more of a chance which can make it more gripping because going 1-0 down in a 3 set game means you're in trouble but that is probably one of the reasons it will never change they want the big names in the later rounds. Why not do 3 sets but no tie breaks so you have to win by 2 clear games in each set.

This is obviously pointless as Tennis will never change unless the TV companies push for it and I'm not sure reducing the length of games will effect their scheduling as most TV companies I would imagine have it on for the whole day and just dip in and out of matches like BBC & Sky do when they cover tournaments.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:27 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I like the 5 set matches. They are long... But there's an epic feel to them. Murray's 5 sets in the US Open were as tense and exciting as you can get in my opinion.

The article seems a bit spurious at times... "many fans do not have an appetite for such encounters." Don't they? How many is many? Was there a poll? How many do have an appetite for such encounters?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:41 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

3 set matches dont give as many chances for a back and forth match, and a couple of flukey shots in a tie breaker are more decisive in a 3 setter.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

5 set tennis is what tennis is about. In the last 2 yrs we've seen the Murray/Djokovic thriller. Nadal/Djokovic x 2. Djokovic/Federer at the US Open.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:14 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Australian Open starts today.

I got £10 e/w on Murray (10's) and Del Potro (11's)

£1 e/w on Laura Robson (500's) £5 e/w on Sloane Stevens. (50's)

Laura Robson is the first match up now on Eurosport. I'm gonna give this a watch before bed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:07 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Robson loses in straights. Couldn't serve at her best and loses 6-0 in the second.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:49 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

3 hours in to the tournament and we're down to just Murray already

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:12 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

He looks good though. His back doesnt look to be a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Tennis season back up and running last yr was a disappointing year for British tennis with Murray and Robson facing long term injuries and Watson dropping down to the second tier of the circuit things are looking up this year.

Robson is expected to return in Feb.
Watson started the season well taking her second career title.
Murray is in the semis of the Australian open. In what looked like he would have to face Federer Nadal and Djokovic to win. Federer was knocked out before the quarters and now Nadal knocked out in the quarters. Murray will play Birdych in the semis. He dropped down to #9 at one point last yr.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

This semi final between Murray and Djokovic is turning in to a cracker.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:13 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Djokovic looked like cruising to a 3 set victory. Murray has turned it on and midway through the 4th now Murray has broken and playing some amazing tennis.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:14 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Don't think there is much you can do when someone starts playing shots like this against you!

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/33371909

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

JSP wrote:
That rumour is not true someone started it on twitter.

He gave his money from the queens tournament to charity

He done that again this year by the way after winning it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:44 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

fantastic start to the season so far for British tennis.

Konta and Andy Murray through in the semis. Jamie Murray also through to the Semis in the doubles.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next