Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 07/07/12 Boxing
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Kell Brook is fighting tonight. Up against Carson Jones. If he wins this and the next he'll be the mandatory challenger to the title.

Quote:
Kell Brook has promised "fireworks" ahead of his clash with Carson Jones after the simmering tension between the pair threatened to boil over at Friday's weigh-in.

Unbeaten Brook meets Jones in an eliminator for the IBF welterweight title at the Motorpoint Arena in Sheffield on Saturday, with the winner moving a step closer to becoming the mandatory challenger for Randall Bailey's belt.

The pair have traded insults in the build-up to the contest and they went a step further when clashing heads at the traditional stare-down.

"We've never had that before," Brook said. "It's always good, it builds for a big fight. That spite's going to come out of me tomorrow, I can't wait. He's going to walk on to my bombs, we're going to make him miss and then make him pay."

Should Brook prevail, the Sheffield fighter will move a step closer to realising a childhood dream. "Since I've been a little boy I've dreamt of being a world champion. These big fights, these big occasions - I need to show why I deserve to be the champ."

And, should Brook - who weighed in just under the 10st 7lbs limit at 10st 6lbs 10oz - get past Jones, who has stopped his last eight opponents, the 26-year-old is targeting world domination.

"The Americans are starting to hear about me now and so I want to be making a statement in this fight and taking care of Carson in style," he told the Daily Mail.

"They are talking about me along with their elite fighters over there and saying "this English kid, he's a force to be reckoned with". It's looking like I could be British boxing's next superstar. Sky love me and it's all there for me.

"It's up to me to get that title and do Britain proud, to go over there to other people's backyards and really take them by storm."

But with age my hopes have faded

Last edited by idontfeardeath on Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 07/07/12 Boxing
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Tyson Fury is also fighting tonight.

Quote:
Heavyweight hope Tyson Fury hopes to take a step closer to a world title fight when he faces America’s Vinny Maddalone in Clevedon tonight (Saturday).

The reigning Irish Heavyweight Champion hopes that winning the WBO Intercontinental title will increase his chances of challenging Wladimir Klitschko who holds the WBO World title.

Fury scaled 17st 7 &1/2 lbs at yesterday’s weigh-in at Cabot Circus in Bristol. New Yorker Maddalone tipped the scales at 16st 8 & ½ lbs.

Maddalone, who boasts 35 wins out of 43 fights has previously fought elite fighters Evander Holyfield, Tomasz Adamek and Jean Marc Mormeck. This is his first fight in the UK.

Fury is undefeated in 18 pro contests and has been mentioned by Klitschko as one of his most likely challengers in the next 12 months., but first he must overcome Maddalone and impress a worldwide TV audience if he is to realise his dream of fighting for the world title.

The chief supporting contest at the Hand Arena features Bristol’s Lee Haskins who challenges former British champion Stuart Hall for the vacant European Bantamweight title. Haskins, who scaled 8st 5lbs 4ozs, is hoping that hometown advantage will give him the edge. It is his first title fight in the west country since he won the Commonwealth Flyweight title at Whitchurch Sports Centre in 2006.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

And we also have Wladimir fighting tonight.

Quote:
Wladimir Klitschko predicts tough fight against Tony Thompson

Wladimir Klitschko says he is wary of the challenge posed by veteran Tony Thompson ahead of Saturday's fight.
The Ukrainian heavyweight world champion will extend his unbeaten run to eight years if he overcomes 40-year-old Thompson in Berne in Switzerland.

American Thompson fought and lost to Klitschko inside 11 rounds in Hamburg in 2008, and the now 36-year-old wants the same outcome on Saturday.

But Klitschko admitted: "It's not going to be a vacation fight for me."

A win in Berne would be Klitschko's 16th in a row. Wladimir and his older brother Vitali have dominated the heavyweight division for years, to such an extent that they are revisiting fighters from the past.

Thompson, after his defeat four years ago, blamed a knee injury for his underperformance.

Klitschko referenced the previous fight in the media conference: "We sat here four years ago and you said you were going to beat me, you told me that you were going to knock me out.

"You were very confident going into the fight but you lost and after you said you were injured.
"I don't understand why you only said you had the injury after the fight."

Thompson could only promise retaliation inside the ring on Saturday.

"My job is to try to crash the party," he said. "I feel wonderful. I'm not beat up or anything."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:50 pm 
Major General
Major General

Some cracking fights tonight, idfd.

The Carson Jones - Kell Brook fight is a toss up for me. I wouldn't be surprised if Jones pulled out the victory. The other two are foregone conclusions, IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:24 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I hope Brook has enough about him to win this fight. I agree with you about the other two fights though.

Also noticed next week Riq we've got the Haye/Chisora fight and Kahns title fight.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:41 pm 
Major General
Major General

idontfeardeath wrote:
I hope Brook has enough about him to win this fight. I agree with you about the other two fights though.

Also noticed next week Riq we've got the Haye/Chisora fight and Kahns title fight.

Yep, KB is up next (around 9pm start). Here's a link:

Click The Link...http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/58302/1/kell-brook-vs-carson-jones-live-stream-online.html

Haye Chisora should be a good scrap, despite them being not very likeable characters. :lol:

Khan's fight should be great. Can't wait for Amir to shut up Garcia's father, who's been running his mouth, making controversial statements and generally being an all-round kn*b. It will be difficult to beat Garcia though, he's a solid, undefeated fighter. Garcia himself seems like a down-to-earth guy, shame he'll have to take the extra punishment because of his dad.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Fight is starting now Riq. Come on Brook give us the win over the Americans.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

After 2 rounds I think Brook will have enough.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:06 pm 
Major General
Major General

This is a great fight. Jones has come back into this fantastically. But I agree, think Brook has done enough early on to win the fight overall.

EDIT:

KB won through a close majority decision.

Klitschko and Tyson Fury both scored T/KO wins as expected.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:51 am 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
The Brook fight was very good, both of them going at it toe to toe.

Had a little of Wladimir on, but turned it off pretty quickly.. too slow and boring, especially after watching the former.

Tyson Fury just makes me laugh. :doh:

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:37 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Kahns fucked. Wont get through 6 at this rate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:39 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Kahns career finished. Another journey man now. One punch and he was done.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:02 am 
Major General
Major General

I am dumbfounded. Khan knocked the f*ck out.

Agreed, idfd. His career is in tatters. His chin was always suspect.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:00 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Not a big boxing fan but surely given his age to say his career is over is a bit premature isn't it?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:19 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Serbinator wrote:
Not a big boxing fan but surely given his age to say his career is over is a bit premature isn't it?

Not when he gets dropped as often as he has. He has only had one fight where he took punishment and got out the other side. Whereas this is his third maybe fourth loss on knock out.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:44 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think it's his shot at the big time fights in America over he'll need to come home and start again the likes of Mayweather & Manny are probably out of reach now for him.

He'll still draw in the fans in England but in America he's probably done now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:53 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Carl Froch, interviewed on 5 Live this morning, saying Khan should consider retiring. He said it would take at least 2 years to get a shot again. Mayweather would be 37 and unlikely to be around.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

He's got the boxing skills just doesn't have the brain.

I think Kel Brook is probably next on the cards for him. If Hatton fancies coming out of retirement it could be a money fight for them both. I can't see him having another big fight in America unless he gets lucky with a cancellation and is willing to step in.

Timothy Bradley should have been his next opponent but now Bradley has absolutely no reason to face him. Hopefully Garcia and Bradley will fight eachother now. Though Bradley will probably have the rematch with Pacman.

Quote:
Britain's Amir Khan should think about retirement following his defeat by Danny Garcia, according to his world champion compatriot Carl Froch.

Khan was stopped in just the fourth round by Garcia in Las Vegas on Saturday, and suffered three knockdowns in total, as the American added the World Boxing Association (WBA) light-welterweight title to the World Boxing Council (WBC) belt he already held in a dramatic unification bout.

It was Khan's second straight defeat following his controversial loss to Lamont Peterson, with the American failing a subsequent drug test, and third of his career following an earlier reverse at the hands of Breidis Prescott.

Froch, the current International Boxing Federation (IBF) super-middleweight champion, said Sunday he would quit if he was in the same position as fellow Englishman Khan.

"I would retire if that happened to me," Froch told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme. "Why? Because I am not in this sport to get beaten, knocked out, or outclassed.

"I've lost twice, I lost a very, very close points decision to one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world in Andre Ward and I've come back and beaten an unbeaten fighter, Lucian Bute, the very next time so I'm world champion."

He added: "If I had lost to Lucian Bute I would probably have retired, because I am in this game to be at the very top and stay at the top. I'm not in this game to make up the numbers.

"It's a personal decision whether or not you retire, but to get stopped in the fourth round and to be previously knocked out, it's just very, very damaging," Froch insisted.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Kel Brook is a good shout as you can publicise the best of British angle.

I doubt Hatton will come out of retirement for the fight it'd be a lot of weight for him to lose.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:16 pm 
Major General
Major General

A bit rich coming from Froch, who was given a hometown decsion vs. Dirrell, and got absolutely schooled by Andre Ward. Khan is 25 FFS, whereas he is 35. He's got plenty more fights left in him, and although it looks unlikely he can come back from this. He just has to forget any dreams of fighting the bigwigs for the time being. Go back to basics, and get the defensive fundamentals right.

Carl has always been envious of Khan - maybe because has received no where near as much media attention as him.

Khan vs. Kell Brook would be a good fight. Maybe even Victor Ortiz. They both have something to prove.