AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Snooker World Championship 2011
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:24 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Devil_Spawn wrote:
Oh how far Stephen Hendry has fallen, only found out yesterday he's not won a major tournament since 2005, which is staggering really. His cue action doesn't seem to be good these days, often cueing across the cue ball instead of straight through it, he missed some pots yesterday by a long way.

He still somehow managed to get to #1 a few years back (by making a lot of quarter and semi finals) but he definitely cannot produce the shots he used to. However he had to start losing sometime, kind of like Davis before him. Most people probably expected O'Sullivan to replace him and go on to become the most successful player ever, but unfortunately for Ronnie, his has none existent mental fortitude. So we might have to wit a bit longer for somebody to come along who is capable of becoming the best ever/most successful.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:06 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

I just look out for Michaela Tabb

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:15 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Highscores: 1
So the cheat wins his 4th world title then? Shouldn't have even been in the tournament, what a joke! On the plus side, Judd Trump looks a real talent and I think he will defo be world champion soon. :fonz:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:48 am 
Major General
Major General

That would be the cheat who was cleared of any charges related to cheating I gather?

Good on ya John, cracking performance to get the 4th title, showed real grit and determination.

Massive credit to Trump too, the way he plays the game makes Ronnie look conservative. The lad goes for absolutely everything, and it's great to watch.

His attitude seemed to be rubbing off on Higgins in the last frame, trying to cut that red in, then opting to go for the snooker with only pink and black left, followed by the double... fantastic stuff.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:58 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
Crackin' tournament, crackin' final. Couldn't believe the last frame, what a way to win it!

Thought Hazel was a bit much at the end though. You could tell Higgins was emotional after the death of his father, she was really pushing him for tears.

Completely agree Spawny about Higgins. I read an interview by the detective investigating the charges against him and he is clear as to why Higgins and his manager were innocent of the charges.

Trump was a absolute star over the championship. I've never seen anyone pot like that before, that's including Alex Higgins and White.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:01 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

He's not a cheat, he's just a bit corrupt. The way he won it was absolutely superb.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:05 pm 
Major General
Major General

The last frame was unreal, couldn't believe Higgins going for that cut on the red which he missed, and then to pot up to the pink and rely on just pink and black for snookers was a brave move. The fact the it paid off makes it a master stroke, but he could easily have cost himself the frame with that move. Terrific double on the pink then a good black to finish it off, great final frame.

I agree about Hazel, no need whatsoever to mention the guy's father, was a blatant attempt to get more emotion into the interview. The poor bloke's suffered enough without being reminded about it again.

Trump is an amazing player, he goes for everything, and is incredible to watch. He's a future World Champion I'm sure, although a few guys don't seem to have lived up to their potential (Ding, Maguire, Selby) at the World Championship. To be so level headed and composed at 21 years old was phenomenal.

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The thing with Trump is his attacking style gets crowds on his side and people love to see it when it's all going well which it did for him in this tournament. His long pot success was over 70% compared to Higgins who was around the 55% mark which is decent. It's not just that it's 70% it's the number of long pots he takes on.

He got some cruel luck yesterday where he'd fly into the pack and find himself with nothing on but those are the breaks at this level. There's very little in terms of talent between the top players it's all about bottle and who holds the nerve. You have to say yesterday Higgins was excellant he didn't let Trump really get himself ahead and punished almost every little mistake and when an opportunity came his way he took it.

To play the colours in the last frame the way he did took some serious balls he did have the luxury of being 3 frames ahead but he played that last shot in behind the black to perfection.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:43 pm 
Major
Major

The thing with Trump was he had total belief in everything he hit and was probably playing the better of the two. Higgins used his experience and was slightly better in amongst the balls.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:49 pm 
Major General
Major General

breakingintoheaven wrote:
The thing with Trump was he had total belief in everything he hit and was probably playing the better of the two. Higgins used his experience and was slightly better in amongst the balls.

I think that belief cost him to a degree. The blue he missed along the cushion was a big turning point in the match, and he shouldn't have played that shot, it was reckless and there were options to play safe and keep control. He'll learn these things though, when to attack and when to just try and keep control of things.

Higgins just doesn't give up, he showed incredible determination throughout the tournament to overcome Ronnie, Mark, and Judd on the way to victory.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:56 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Devil_Spawn wrote:

I think that belief cost him to a degree. The blue he missed along the cushion was a big turning point in the match, and he shouldn't have played that shot, it was reckless and there were options to play safe and keep control. He'll learn these things though, when to attack and when to just try and keep control of things.

Higgins just doesn't give up, he showed incredible determination throughout the tournament to overcome Ronnie, Mark, and Judd on the way to victory.

Agreed. If Trump knew how to play snooker he won have won easily last night. Unfortunately he plays more like a 9-ball player.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:27 am 
Major General
Major General

Toast and Bananas wrote:
Agreed. If Trump knew how to play snooker he won have won easily last night. Unfortunately he plays more like a 9-ball player.

The way he plays is certainly different, but it served him well. He made some amazing shots along the cushions earlier in the championship, in fact the top 10 shots of the championship on the BBC snooker website contain about 4 Judd Trump shots.

A lot of players would've lost to him, Higgins is an incredible match player though, he never knows when he's beaten. In the end that helped him through it, he just wouldn't lay down and lose the match.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:23 am 
Major
Major

Kie99 wrote:
He's not a cheat, he's just a bit corrupt. The way he won it was absolutely superb.

Just on that, have a read through this to why he was found not guilty.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2010/09/21/revealed-why-john-higgins-was-cleared-of-match-fixing-because-the-evidence-including-a-statement-from-mazher-mahmood-told-the-full-story-210901/

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:30 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Kie99 wrote:

Just on that, have a read through this to why he was found not guilty.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2010/09/21/revealed-why-john-higgins-was-cleared-of-match-fixing-because-the-evidence-including-a-statement-from-mazher-mahmood-told-the-full-story-210901/

Fair enough, he's probably innocent. Saying that I really do not like the 'I've seen secret evidence which exonerates him' line, if it does exonerate him it should be in the public domain. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this legal professional is a liar, or that the courts got it wrong, they do have access to more information than I do and I respect their opinion, but its wrong for justice to be done based on secret evidence.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Hendry announced his retirement. Ranking event finals: 57 (36 titles, 21 runner-ups)

Looking like a O'Sullivan vs Carter final.

Quote:
Why snooker has such a peculiar charm

In one of those coincidences which the columnist frantically scours for deeper meaning, it was barely a few hours after snooker’s greatest winner announced his retirement that its most beloved loser racked up his half century.

How typically ruthless of Stephen Hendry, you felt, to overshadow Jimmy White’s 50th birthday on Wednesday.

A snooker milestone that should have sparked wild national celebration was ignored, buried beneath the avalanche of reflection on the man who beat him in four of the six World Championship finals he contrived to lose.

If Jimmy’s last appearance in a Crucible final, which Hendry sneaked 18-17 in 1994, was agony, his collapse of two years earlier from a 14-8 lead to a 14-18 loss was unbearable.
The next morning, a friend who teaches English to foreign students found his class of Romanians so distraught that he assumed the Ceausescus had been reborn and retaken power in Bucharest.

“Whatever’s the matter with you lot?” he asked. “Jeeemy,” one mournfully murmured, well aware that no surname was needed.

In seeking to penetrate snooker’s peculiar charm, the immense fondness felt for White but withheld from Hendry seems instructive.

It wasn’t solely the hackneyed British love for the underdog and corresponding resentment for the overdog, or the obvious preference for an urchin cavalier over a dour roundhead.
Where Hendry looked invulnerable, Jimmy appeared so frail and unwell that you wanted to nurse him back to health.

He was in excellent company. Snooker is the world’s sickest sport by a margin inexplicable in terms of poor diet and lack of exercise.

To a hypochondriac such as myself, this lends it devilish fascination.

The actuarial odds against such a high proportion of such a tiny pool of young participants suffering serious illness, physical and mental, are anyone’s guess, preferably an actuary’s, but it must be millions to one.

The curious epidemiological history begins with Fred Davis, who continued as a pro after two heart attacks until 1993, when arthritis forced him to give up at a tragically young 79. In the nearly two decades since, the honours board of casualties and walking wounded has become crowded.

Bill Werbeniuk, the Canadian who resembled Oliver Hardy’s obese brother, died at 56 despite a punishing fitness regimen built around 50 daily pints of lager.

Where he was permitted to defy a ban on alcohol during matches to control a tremor, Neal Foulds took beta blockers (since banned; a drug that combats stress came to seem an indulgence) for a central nervous condition of his own.

Passing glumly over the unlikely incidence of cancer - Jimmy White lost a testicle, and the splendid Paul Hunter lost his life at 27 to a very rare neuroendocrine form of the disease - the sport has also been bedevilled by mental illness.

The combative Northern Irishman Mark Allen and squeaky Scottish former world champ Graeme Dott, the one audible only to bloodhounds who makes Jack Nicklaus on helium sound like Paul Robeson with a heavy cold, have been plagued by depression.

Ronnie O’Sullivan’s demons need no reprising, though he seems unusually in control of himself this year, and talks of retirement only in general terms (though he is scheduled to quit twice during his semi final with Matthew Stevens, once after missing a long pink and again after mislaying his chalk).

This no doubt explains the form that makes him warm favourite for a fourth title.
Yet however one reveres Ronnie for the saturnine volatility and a raw talent unmatched even by Jimmy, my hopes lie this year with Ali Carter.

The Essex potter, nicknamed “Captain” after a penchant for flying light aircraft, suffers from Crohn’s Disease, a brutally debilitating inflammatory disorder of the bowel he bears with fortitude and good humour.

There is no record, on the other hand, of his semi final opponent Stephen Maguire having any disorder, although whenever you hear that BBC chap who marshalls the silly walk-ons introducing him with “He’s on fire ... he’s Stephen Maguire!”, you can’t help fretting about spontaneous combustion.

This is snooker, after all, and should the game’s overlord Barry Hearn seek a new sponsor to build on the game’s unique appeal, the solution speaks for itself.

If the Priory Clinic group is unwilling to put its name to future World Championships, I have a feeling that Bupa or PPP would be thrilled to step in.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:41 pm 
Major
Major

Would love to see a Ronnie v Carter final. I'm a fan of both players but I'd love to see Ronnie get a 4th title.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:56 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Would love to see a Ronnie v Carter final. I'm a fan of both players but I'd love to see Ronnie get a 4th title.

Your wish has been granted! :fonz:

Post subject: Re: Snooker Loopy, Nuts Are We
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:13 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
World champion Ronnie O'Sullivan has quit the main snooker tour after refusing to agree to a stringent player contract imposed by Barry Hearn's World Snooker organisation.

O'Sullivan - who won his fourth world title at Sheffield's Crucible Theatre last month - had threatened to take some time out of the game as he complained about the impossibility of balancing family life with the need to travel extensively under Hearn's new regulations.

And the 36-year-old has now refused to sign the world snooker players' contract, thus ruling him out of all World Snooker competition.

"I have decided not to enter any tournaments for the time being including this year's Premier League and forthcoming WPBSA ranking events," O'Sullivan said in a statement.

"I have not signed the player's contract as I feel the contract is too onerous and am in a stage of my career where I don't wish to make this commitment."

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:53 am 
Major General
Major General

No surprise that Ronnie has made this decision, he's not exactly the most flexible character.

That said, Hearn is pretty much running the old guard out of the game, you can no longer be a professional snooker player and raise a family because you're away from home so much that you'd never see your kids.

That combined with his outrageous view that the players will do what he says because he says it, and that the money they earn justifies everything... I worry about the future of the sport.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:06 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

So is that retirement for Ronnie then or will he look to join a 'breakaway' organisation? (If there are any!). Possibly arrange exhibition matches?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next