AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ronnie
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:44 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Highscores: 1
breakingintoheaven wrote:
Sparkys kneecap wrote:
He's a tit, cant stand him. Other people who had half the natural talent that he had would work their ass off to be the best snooker player ever. He could have easily won 5 or 6 world titles if he had the right tempremant.

He's had mental health issues Sparky

So he's automatically a nice person? What's that got to do with anything?

How am I the bad guy for not liking him? Thousands share my view. Most people who have the talent like him would make more of it. I follow Snooker regular and think he makes the game interesting no doubt. However when he threatens to quite snooker every bloody tournament it gets rather boring when players with double the hunger and commitment of him struggle on through the early rounds.

He should just make his mind up, play or retire, simple as.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sparkys kneecap wrote:
Sparkys kneecap wrote:
He's a tit, cant stand him. Other people who had half the natural talent that he had would work their ass off to be the best snooker player ever. He could have easily won 5 or 6 world titles if he had the right tempremant.

How am I the bad guy for not liking him? Thousands share my view. Most people who have the talent like him would make more of it. I follow Snooker regular and think he makes the game interesting no doubt. However when he threatens to quite snooker every bloody tournament it gets rather boring when players with double the hunger and commitment of him struggle on through the early rounds.

How often have you said you're going to quit your job to a fellow employee?

And no it doesn't automatically make him a good guy but it does excuse his ability to be an idiot sometimes! Plus i don't really see what he done wrong he wanted to make a point and made it very well!

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:21 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

idontfeardeath wrote:
Sparkys kneecap wrote:
Sparkys kneecap wrote:

How often have you said you're going to quit your job to a fellow employee?

And no it doesn't automatically make him a good guy but it does excuse his ability to be an idiot sometimes! Plus i don't really see what he done wrong he wanted to make a point and made it very well!

It's not just this, there have been quite a few incidents with Ronnie over recent years. I have said I am going to quit my job many of times but not live on television to millions of viewers!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:44 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
Sparkys kneecap wrote:
Sparkys kneecap wrote:

Eh? Where did I say it makes you a bad person?

You mentioned he hasn't the temperament for the game and has threatened to quit a few times. I'm saying he suffers from mental health issues which would contribute to his troubles. I don't know Ronnie but he seems liked by his fellow pro's. He can be temperamental but he's still great for the game.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:01 pm 
Major General
Major General

Ah Ronnie... the great enigma of modern snooker. He's a great spectacle, don't think anyone could deny that. However at times he shows great contempt for his opponents, and that isn't really in keeping with the spirit of the game. Sitting with a towel over his head while his opponent is at the table is a great example.

Personally I don't like him as a player, I think that he's taken his natural gift for granted and if he'd been willing to really put the effort in then he'd probably be up with Davis and Hendry on 6 or 7 world titles.

Instead he throws his toys out of the pram when things don't go his way, and talks about how much he hates the sport, how little he cares about the fans... etc.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:26 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Devil_Spawn wrote:
Ah Ronnie... the great enigma of modern snooker. He's a great spectacle, don't think anyone could deny that. However at times he shows great contempt for his opponents, and that isn't really in keeping with the spirit of the game. Sitting with a towel over his head while his opponent is at the table is a great example.

Personally I don't like him as a player, I think that he's taken his natural gift for granted and if he'd been willing to really put the effort in then he'd probably be up with Davis and Hendry on 6 or 7 world titles.

Instead he throws his toys out of the pram when things don't go his way, and talks about how much he hates the sport, how little he cares about the fans... etc.

What he said! :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Devil_Spawn wrote:

And even without him winning them titles many still regards him as one of the best ever. At least he's got the 147 record now even if he didn't want it!

Don't think the record books really bother him.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:00 pm 
Major General
Major General

idontfeardeath wrote:
And even without him winning them titles many still regards him as one of the best ever. At least he's got the 147 record now even if he didn't want it!

He is the best natural player that I have ever seen, undoubtedly. I don't think that I would put him in the bracket of the true greats simply because of his attitude. Hendry and Davis won their World Titles because they worked their backsides off, they practised 8 hours a day, and did everything they could to make their game better.

If Ronnie had don that he'd be streets ahead of anyone to ever pick up a cue, but he couldn't be bothered. I honestly believe he plays the game for money, it's his living and nothing more, which is sad because there are thousands of people who genuinely love snooker but will never be of a level to play pro while he's happy to pick up his cheque for as little effort as possible.

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:31 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Devil_Spawn wrote:
idontfeardeath wrote:

He is the best natural player that I have ever seen, undoubtedly. I don't think that I would put him in the bracket of the true greats simply because of his attitude. Hendry and Davis won their World Titles because they worked their backsides off, they practised 8 hours a day, and did everything they could to make their game better.

If Ronnie had don that he'd be streets ahead of anyone to ever pick up a cue, but he couldn't be bothered. I honestly believe he plays the game for money, it's his living and nothing more, which is sad because there are thousands of people who genuinely love snooker but will never be of a level to play pro while he's happy to pick up his cheque for as little effort as possible.

Doesn't the fact he's won all he's won without even trying make him a greater player?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:07 am 
Major General
Major General

Kie99 wrote:
Doesn't the fact he's won all he's won without even trying make him a greater player?

IMO, no. It makes him a more naturally gifted player.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:20 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

More gifted than Hurricane Higgins???

the jurys still out on that one

alex was simply the most naturally gifted cueman ever(imo)

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:20 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Sparkys kneecap wrote:

That's like saying "if Sheringham had pace..." or "if Federer had the natural fitness of of Nadal..."

You can't gain a good temperament. It's something that comes natural imo. You either have it or you don't

garynevillestache wrote:

Obviously you have seen more of him than I have (I own a couple of VHS and DVDs about him), but I do think Higgins has an awful cue stance and have been told before at the local club that he is a bad example of how to cue. Plus, if he was the most naturally gifted cueman I think he would have more than 2 world titles as he wasn't the kind of player who would fail to turn up like Ronnie.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:07 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Toast and Bananas wrote:
Sparkys kneecap wrote:

That's like saying "if Sheringham had pace..." or "if Federer had the natural fitness of of Nadal..."

You can't gain a good temperament. It's something that comes natural imo. You either have it or you don't

garynevillestache wrote:

Obviously you have seen more of him than I have (I own a couple of VHS and DVDs about him), but I do think Higgins has an awful cue stance and have been told before at the local club that he is a bad example of how to cue. Plus, if he was the most naturally gifted cueman I think he would have more than 2 world titles as he wasn't the kind of player who would fail to turn up like Ronnie.

Alex was his own downfall and at times his head was all over the shop.Technically speaking his stance and technique may not have been one to copy,his hea was all over at times and his follow through was fidgety at best.But the way he saw shots,the wayn he could see the game develop and his sheer audacity made Alex what he was.
Of course its all about opinions but to me,Alex will always be the greatest

Post subject: Snooker Loopy, Nuts Are We
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:00 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Starts tomorrow :fonz:

Was asked today why I found such a dull sport exciting and to be honest I've no idea why!

Ronnie almost pulled out, but he changed his mind so I fully expect him to turn up and walk the tournament now.

Post subject: Re: Snooker World Championship 2011
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:19 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

the game is so devoid of characters

i was brought up on higgins/stevens/white/reardon etc

i still enjoy the game though

John Higgins is my tip

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:25 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Ronnie seems like a character.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:34 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

yes he is....however i`m struggling to think of another

:shrug:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:35 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

garynevillestache wrote:
yes he is....however i`m struggling to think of another

:shrug:

Peter Ebdon :huh:

To be fair, I don't think it's a sport that requires a good character (unless you are talking about mental toughness). I'd rather watch the 32 best players ever than 32 funny guys, some of which happen to be good at snooker.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:54 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

the 'character' argument in my eyes is a load of nonsense! It's a serious proffesional sport with a lot of money involved, you watch snooker to enjoy the game, it's not an entertainment show.

You had more 'characters' before because the game wasn't so serious, if todays players could relax more like then you'd see the real them. for the record though, there are a few with a good personality who like a bit of banter. Mark Williams, Ali Carter, Ding Junhui (unintentionally of course!).

Anway, my outside bet is Mark Williams but more or likely Higgins will win it again, he's been the best player in the top tournaments by miles.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:56 am 
Major General
Major General

Oh how far Stephen Hendry has fallen, only found out yesterday he's not won a major tournament since 2005, which is staggering really. His cue action doesn't seem to be good these days, often cueing across the cue ball instead of straight through it, he missed some pots yesterday by a long way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next