AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: NFL
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:11 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
The NFL's showpiece event will take place on Sunday as dark clouds grow over the league's immediate future.

Anyone watching events unfold at Cowboys Stadium will see little sign of trouble as a Texas-sized event promises to be the biggest Super Bowl ever.

But the world's richest sports league's labour agreement with its players' union has all but expired, and the possibility of a debilitating lock-out next season grows more likely every day.

The existing deal will come to an end on March 3, and there can be no 2011 season without a replacement.

Giving his annual State of the League address prior to the big game, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell sounded optimistic on Friday, even while recognising the gravity of the situation, but the tone of his union counterpart DeMaurice Smith has been very different this week.

Goodell said he hoped a deal could be done "in the next few weeks", a timetable that would see it happen before the current deal expires.

"I can tell you the commitment on behalf of the ownership is on getting an agreement," Goodell said.

"I think that's only going to happen when there's intense negotiations from your union and the owners. This is the window of opportunity to get this done right. Otherwise, uncertainty is going to seep into all of our operations. ... I say, let's get to work, let's get an agreement that works for everybody."

Goodell is meeting with union officials in Dallas on Saturday, the first formal face-to-face talks since November, but he will come across a man in Smith who is increasingly suspicious about the league's approach.

Speaking earlier in the week, he claimed the league owners are planning for a lock-out.

"Every player has heard me say to prepare for the worst," he said. "I believe the [NFL team] owners have been taking steps towards a lock-out for a long time."

If anything, Smith has toned down his rhetoric. This time last year, he rated the chances of a lock-out at "14" out of 10.

It seems incredible that a league that has established itself as America's favourite, a multi-billion dollar cash machine, could risk a lock-out, having seen the huge consequences a similar situation had on the NHL in the last few years.

This week's talks can give fans hope, with both sides insisting publicly that the last thing they want is for football to missing from the sporting landscape next season.

But time is beginning to run short.

"I can assure you that I have that sense of urgency," Goodell said. "There are enough incentives for all of us to get to the table and get a deal done."

There are several points of disagreement, but the principle one, of course, is money.

The existing deal allows for 58 per cent of total league revenues to be spent on player salaries. The owners want that number to tumble drastically, to around 40 per cent.

The union has asked to study the teams' books before agreeing to any reduction, claiming the value of franchises continues to balloon, but the owners have refused.

Goodell also wants to expand the length of the regular-season by two games to 18 by removing two of the four pre-season games, but the union has concerns over added injury risks, as starting players tend to play little role in the exhibitions.

While Goodell talks positively about the chances of a deal, he does not intend to bend over to make it happen.

"Status quo is not acceptable," he said. "We have to address these issues going forward.

"The pendulum has shifted too far in one direction."

Goodell has a vested interest too. His current salary is almost US$10million with bonuses. If there is a lock-out, he says he will take only one dollar.

"I don't want my salary to go to a dollar," he said. "My wife doesn't want my salary to go to a dollar. But it's a collective sacrifice if we're not able to get an agreement. It should affect everyone in the league.

"We should avoid it to get something done as soon as possible."

Caught somewhere in the middle are the fans, facing up to the likelihood of Sundays without football this coming Autumn.

The Super Bowl might be the last NFL game for a long time.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: NFL Faces Lock-Out
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:23 am 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

All reports have them pretty far apart from agreeing to anything regardless of what the commissioner would like you to believe.

They talk all year about trying to bring the number of concussions down yet want to extend the season to 18 games :dunce: :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:55 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
I'm going to use this as the general NFL due to lack thereof elsewhere.

Who's Tim Tebow and why do I keep hearing his name all over the internet?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Serbinator wrote:

he's the Son of God

10 completions 316yds.... & the Steelers were gone

....he's a bible freak.... & an average QB propped up by the power of Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeysus..... & you know where that'll get you in Denver :angel:

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: NFL
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:10 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Serbinator wrote:

Click The Link...http://newyork.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.podtrac.com%2Fpts%2Fredirect.mp3%2Fnyc.podcast.play.it%2Fmedia%2Fd0%2Fd0%2Fd0%2FdZ%2FdK%2FdQ%2FdN%2FZKQN_3.MP3%3Fauthtok%3D5561663198902437783_xGfsCmKkck4du54qACnaqMlx0&podcast_name=Jesus+Vs.+The+Prophet&podcast_artist=Boomer+%26amp%3B+Carton&station_id=91&tag=&dcid=CBS.NY

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:57 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Tebow gets a lot of hype because he is a God Freak who has happened to have a few flukey games.

His technique is laughable, and it's ridiculous how many lucky plays he has gotten away with this season.

Of course, most people think it's the power of God helping him, and therefore he is the best QB ever, even though Manning is clearly a million times better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:34 am 
Major General
Major General

Americans attitude towards religion is so f**king retarded :laugh:

[ Post made via Android ] Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:47 am 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:07 am 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

Serbinator wrote:
Americans attitude towards religion is so f**king retarded :laugh:

[ Post made via Android ] Image

HEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! He's probably the most polarizing sports figure in America right now. People either love him or hate him.

He starred in an anti-abortion ad during last years super bowl. He's the child of missionaries was born in the phillipines.

I for one enjoy him. Hes completely unflappable. He definetly sticks to his message. I watched him in a post game interview sitting with three hall of famers who basically spent 5 minutes telling him he was a terrible QB and shouldn't even start in the nfl and he never even looked a little angry.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:10 am 
Major General
Major General

(Off topic I know, and none of this is aimed at you TJ, obviously)

The fact a first world country has anti-abortion campaigners is hilarious. All because of some magical wizard in the sky, come on people!

Re: Tebow, fair play to the guy, seems he's done well for himself. Think if I followed the NFL he's a dude I would want to see fail just because of this hysteria around him because he's the second coming.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:50 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Serbinator wrote:
(Off topic I know, and none of this is aimed at you TJ, obviously)

The fact a first world country has anti-abortion campaigners is hilarious. All because of some magical wizard in the sky, come on people!

Re: Tebow, fair play to the guy, seems he's done well for himself. Think if I followed the NFL he's a dude I would want to see fail just because of this hysteria around him because he's the second coming.

I want to see him fail because he is incredibly flukey, and people fail to see this. He's even worse than Tom Brady (who is a great QB, but people actually believe he is better than Manning).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:43 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Toast and Bananas wrote:
I want to see him fail because he is incredibly flukey, and people fail to see this. He's even worse than Tom Brady (who is a great QB, but people actually believe he is better than Manning).

That's because he is. :D

It's apples and oranges though when arguing who's better between Brady, Manning (you can probably throw Rodgers and Brees into the mix before too long). A convincing argument can be made for Manning, as one can be for Brady... Tebow doesn't even come close but he does seem to know how to 'get over the line' so to speak.

I expect Tebow-mania to die down on Saturday night.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

WithingtonRed wrote:

god willing :|

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:16 pm 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:23 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

WithingtonRed wrote:
Toast and Bananas wrote:

That's because he is. :D

It's apples and oranges though when arguing who's better between Brady, Manning (you can probably throw Rodgers and Brees into the mix before too long). A convincing argument can be made for Manning, as one can be for Brady... Tebow doesn't even come close but he does seem to know how to 'get over the line' so to speak.

Personally I don't agree with the coin toss debate, as the stats point overhwelmingly towards Manning). The Brady argument was basically created by Pats fans and bitter fans that have to hate the popular choice. I'm in no way biased as I am a Tampa fan, and I like both guys, but the statistics show Manning has an incredible WPA of over 40%. Brady's is closer to 30%. Manning also dominates Brady in pass release time after the snap and EPA. Arguing over things like passing yards, INT and successful passes etc. are irrelevant (even though they would probably go in Manning's favour) as they don't play for the same teams.

Brady's claims to being better amount to him having won more superbowls and he probably edges it when it comes to having a better throwing arm. But that's the equivalent of Andy Cole saying he is better than Shearer because he won more titles at United. New England have consistently had a better team and Bill Belichick, the best coach in the NFL (imo the GOAT).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:58 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Toast and Bananas wrote:
Personally I don't agree with the coin toss debate, as the stats point overhwelmingly towards Manning). The Brady argument was basically created by Pats fans and bitter fans that have to hate the popular choice. I'm in no way biased as I am a Tampa fan, and I like both guys, but the statistics show Manning has an incredible WPA of over 40%. Brady's is closer to 30%. Manning also dominates Brady in pass release time after the snap and EPA. Arguing over things like passing yards, INT and successful passes etc. are irrelevant (even though they would probably go in Manning's favour) as they don't play for the same teams.

Brady's claims to being better amount to him having won more superbowls and he probably edges it when it comes to having a better throwing arm. But that's the equivalent of Andy Cole saying he is better than Shearer because he won more titles at United. New England have consistently had a better team and Bill Belichick, the best coach in the NFL (imo the GOAT).

Well, anyone can pull out different statistics to support either player and then denounce the ones that don't favour their argument.

I agree that passing yards, interceptions etc. are pointless - would you rather have Dan Marino's statistics, or Joe Montana's winning record?

I think Manning wins in most statistics, although he has had the advantage of playing in a dome for most of his career. I also have no doubt Manning would edge it in measurables, which is why he was drafted number one and Brady didn't get picked until the sixth round - and I think Manning's case has been helped with the Colts' struggles this year.

At the end of the day most of the things that Brady excels at are the things that you can't measure... At different stages in his career he's been able to win a) with, at best, average receivers b) an almost non-existent running game and this year c) a substandard defence. You can't just dismiss his winning record because his team has been consistently better - he's without doubt been a major factor in that, especially in the last 3-4 years. He's also has one of the best records in extreme weather ever.

The Patriot fans must have some serious influence in the media to have started and maintained the debate for almost a decade.

For me, it's an argument that raged on for far too long for it to be that easy to judge. It's a personal preference thing IMO. All I know is I've got a team on the 20 that needs to drive down the field in the last two minutes - I'd pick Brady as my quarterback, but I'd be more than happy with Manning. :shrug:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I like Drew Brees

....do I win??? ImageImage

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:26 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

WithingtonRed wrote:
Toast and Bananas wrote:

Well, anyone can pull out different statistics to support either player and then denounce the ones that don't favour their argument.

I agree that passing yards, interceptions etc. are pointless - would you rather have Dan Marino's statistics, or Joe Montana's winning record?

I think Manning wins in most statistics, although he has had the advantage of playing in a dome for most of his career. I also have no doubt Manning would edge it in measurables, which is why he was drafted number one and Brady didn't get picked until the sixth round - and I think Manning's case has been helped with the Colts' struggles this year.

At the end of the day most of the things that Brady excels at are the things that you can't measure... At different stages in his career he's been able to win a) with, at best, average receivers b) an almost non-existent running game and this year c) a substandard defence. You can't just dismiss his winning record because his team has been consistently better - he's without doubt been a major factor in that, especially in the last 3-4 years. He's also has one of the best records in extreme weather ever.

The Patriot fans must have some serious influence in the media to have started and maintained the debate for almost a decade.

For me, it's an argument that raged on for far too long for it to be that easy to judge. It's a personal preference thing IMO. All I know is I've got a team on the 20 that needs to drive down the field in the last two minutes - I'd pick Brady as my quarterback, but I'd be more than happy with Manning. :shrug:

Average receivers like Randy "throw within 10 yards of me and it will stick to my go-go-gadget hands" Moss, or Wes "Doesn't Drop the Ball" Welker? In the 2008 season Brady had the best team since the 90's Cowboys and lost to the Giants. If he could release the ball they would have walked that game because Moss was untouchable that season and spent a lot of that game getting away from his coverage.

Manning's had an overated bunch of receivers who often drop easy catches when the chips are down. Marvin Harrison, because he was a 1st round draft pick, people think he must be awesome. I think he's dropped a reasonably easy, game winning catch in at least 5 play-off games. He's basically Joey Galloway's long lost cousin or the Ronaldo of the NFL. Only catches when it doesn't matter.

I don't think the defense argument matters because the defense should have nothing to do wit the performance of the QB. But the one season the Pats won the Superbowl with a below average defense was the season they beat the Rams, which, IIRC, was down to a great performance by Bledsoe in the championship game, and in the superbowl game the defense turned up for once (and Vinatieri kicked from the halfway line to win - as he did 2 years later).

Also (going from memory again), I'm not dimissing his winning record because he has a WPA of over 30% which is incredible. But it does not compare to Manning's 43%. I think Manning's equates to increasing an exactly average team of over 70%, and the Colts without Manning during his time at the Colts have been well below average. If you say winning is important, then Manning does more for winning a game than Brady, but unfortunately his terrible team and not-so-good coach have cost him.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:20 am 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Did anyone just wants Saints/49ers?

Unreal game, what a finish.

Quote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next