AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for friendly, fun chat. Be nice.

Post subject: Re: Drinking at home
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:28 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
Mr Carrot wrote:
Depends how big each beer is, are they little French bottles or litre bottles?

I drink most days, have done for 20 odd years. I don't need it but I enjoy it after work. I have maybe two bottles a night, not Becks size but smaller. Then I have more at the weekend. It's quite normal here to have people over and drink a bottle of wine.
Sunday morning market day they drink in the bar from about 10am. Difference is it's not inhaling it to get pissed.

I'm fit and not overweight.

I think most people know when they drink too much, if you think you do then probably you do.

But I see nothing wrong with a couple of beers or glasses of wine. I'd say 90% of the people I know do, back in the UK that is.

I started off drinking say 4 pints worth a night of those little cheap weak french bottles but over time its turned into five cans of Kronenbourg which is a fair bit stronger. My plan is to go back to the little french bottles and try and curb it to weekends only. See how it goes.

Mr Carrot wrote:
I don't think it's how much you drink, it's if you can't manage without it that makes you an alcoholic.

I can definitely go without it. Apart from a night out last Friday I'm coming up to 3 weeks off it now. Although I'm looking forward to my next drink! :lol:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:14 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
No point asking me, I can go easily 6 months between drinks, except when I'm with the in-laws :D

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:34 am 
National Hero
National Hero

A wise man once told me " If you leave it til after 7 in the evening you're not an alcoholic." Unfortunately it turns out he was an alcoholic.
Media campaigns can lead to people forming opinions on this which are way off the mark. Granted, getting slaughtered every night of the week is not advisable but there is a risk of becoming demonised just for having a few beers at the end of the day. I have a friend who lives in the states and if he drinks during the week at all his wife and her family are ready to perform an intervention - subsequently when he comes home every yr or so he gets absolutely bladdered :lol:
The truth is, you're an adult and should be able to tell yourself whether its a safe amount for you or not. Every person is different, some are more prone to dependancy than others - only you can decide if this is the case.
Personally, I am on call for work every other week which rules out midweek drinking that week - the other week off call I would be the same as yourself - probably 5 or 6 beers 2 or 3 nights during the week. I enjoy unwinding at home with a few beers and truth be told I can't be arsed going to pubs much as I hate people :lol:
A doctor friend of mine once gave me some advice on drinking levels - Going sober 1 month a year, 1 week a month, 1 day a week should give your liver time to sort itself.*

Basically tell whoever is sticking their oar in to feck off and concentrate on their own business :D

*I am not a medical practitioner and am merely recalling a conversation so if your liver explodes dont blame me....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:49 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
Sheasy's Bum Hamster wrote:
A wise man once told me " If you leave it til after 7 in the evening you're not an alcoholic." Unfortunately it turns out he was an alcoholic.
Media campaigns can lead to people forming opinions on this which are way off the mark. Granted, getting slaughtered every night of the week is not advisable but there is a risk of becoming demonised just for having a few beers at the end of the day. I have a friend who lives in the states and if he drinks during the week at all his wife and her family are ready to perform an intervention - subsequently when he comes home every yr or so he gets absolutely bladdered :lol:
The truth is, you're an adult and should be able to tell yourself whether its a safe amount for you or not. Every person is different, some are more prone to dependancy than others - only you can decide if this is the case.
Personally, I am on call for work every other week which rules out midweek drinking that week - the other week off call I would be the same as yourself - probably 5 or 6 beers 2 or 3 nights during the week. I enjoy unwinding at home with a few beers and truth be told I can't be arsed going to pubs much as I hate people :lol:
A doctor friend of mine once gave me some advice on drinking levels - Going sober 1 month a year, 1 week a month, 1 day a week should give your liver time to sort itself.*

Basically tell whoever is sticking their oar in to feck off and concentrate on their own business :D

*I am not a medical practitioner and am merely recalling a conversation so if your liver explodes dont blame me....

The thing is I was probably starting to think I was drinking too much before anyone even said anything to me so I probably have answered my own question in that respect. This was really to guage how abnormal it is and it would seem that it really isn't that unusual albeit maybe a little excessive.
I love a beer to unwind after work but I think I'm teaching myself that I don't NEED a beer to uniwind after work. I just need to have a little more self control.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:53 am 
National Hero
National Hero

Self control is for pussies :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:33 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
Sheasy's Bum Hamster wrote:
Self control is for pussies :lol:

:thumbup: :D

My rule of thumb is 'if the drinking gets in the way of the living, you're drinking too much. Otherwise, crack one open and enjoy'.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Just seen this quote

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:08 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Everybody needs a hobby ! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:10 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
For me and the Mrs, we try to only have a drink on a Friday and Saturday night. Though I'm prone to giving in on a Sunday to have a few beers with the football on. Nights out don't happen as often as they used to (maybe once twice a month) due to cost so we'd mostly have a drink in the house.

I play football on a Fri night till 8pm so by the time I'm home, I'm sitting down to a few beers/wine from about 9pm watching tv with the Mrs.

Saturday, when I've got done what I need done, I'd sit down in the evening around 5.30 to watch the footie or Rugby and have a few beers, we'd have a couple of bottles of wine over our dinner, etc. For me after working all week I look forward to a drink at the weekend and most people I know are the same.

The only time I worry about how much I'm drinking is when I'm on holiday. If we're away for a week or two, we'd tend to end up drinking every night. After about 4 or 5 days into it I do normally start to worry about how unhealthy it is :shrug:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:59 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

3 or 4 pints on a Saturday night in the pub. Can't drink at home - no kind of alcohol tastes the same at home as it does when you're out. I don't miss it in the week at all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:02 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
I've got to say, If i'm going out, 3 or 4 pints is a starter :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:17 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
Mr Carrot wrote:
I've got to say, If i'm going out, 3 or 4 pints is a starter :lol:

+11111111

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:19 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

There is only one thing we all really check at budget time. The price of beer.

• The planned 3p rise in beer duty has been scrapped and replaced by a 1p cut in duty on a pint of beer.

• The beer duty escalator has been scrapped, but planned rises for all other alcohol duties will be maintained.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:15 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I'm gutted

Just got home nice whiskey but no ice :wall:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:58 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Better than I had mate. I got home to a front room full of female c*nts who won't shut the fuck up!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:40 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

:ohohoh:

doing ice in your whiskey .

:ohohoh:

Not done !

If it's a really nice bottle , when it's just some cheap stuf good enough to mop the floor then it's ok .