AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for friendly, fun chat. Be nice.

Post subject: Drinking at home
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:40 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
Recently a couple of people have told me I drink too much. I don't get out much anymore so I like to have a drink at home. Its kind of gone from having some beers at the weekend to me pretty much regularly drinking around 5 beers a night say 4 or 5 nights a week. At home. On my own. (My wife is there but she doesn't drink!)

Is this weird?

First of all I understand I am drinking way over the recommended levels so I know I have a problem there. But some people have said they don't know anyone who drinks that much unsociably. Most people binge drink when on a night out etc.

I just wanted the general outlook from the people on here as I know you all like a drink!

For the record since I was told this I have had one night of drinking in the last 17 nights and that was a night out so I am trying.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Drinking at home
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Moyes_Is_God wrote:
Recently a couple of people have told me I drink too much.

I get told this all the time. Usually by people I happen to be drinking with.

Moyes_Is_God wrote:
I don't get out much anymore so I like to have a drink at home. Its kind of gone from having some beers at the weekend to me pretty much regularly drinking around 5 beers a night say 4 or 5 nights a week. At home. On my own. (My wife is there but she doesn't drink!)

Is this weird?

I go through phases. I don't think it's that strange and I think you'll find many people do the same. You get in from work and you want a damn beer. Would your friends mind if you was drinking 4-5 pints every night but instead of doing at home with the wife you were out down the pub with friends?

Also 5 beers? You're barely even drinking!!

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:55 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

idontfeardeath wrote:
Moyes_Is_God wrote:

Moyes_Is_God wrote:
I don't get out much anymore so I like to have a drink at home. Its kind of gone from having some beers at the weekend to me pretty much regularly drinking around 5 beers a night say 4 or 5 nights a week. At home. On my own. (My wife is there but she doesn't drink!)

Is this weird?

I go through phases. I don't think it's that strange and I think you'll find many people do the same. You get in from work and you want a damn beer. Would your friends mind if you was drinking 4-5 pints every night but instead of doing at home with the wife you were out down the pub with friends?

Yeah but if I was drinking 10 beers at home on my own getting slaughtered then I would find that weird!!

That is the question though I think, is it weird to drink so much but unsociably. The people I've spoken to seem to think drinking should be a social event.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:34 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
I don't think it's weird. I do it, a fair few of my friends and family do too. And from conversations with colleagues, it seems a pretty common thing.

Health-wise, it is good to give the liver a little break each week, so I always try and have a couple of dry days per week.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:50 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Moyes_Is_God wrote:
idontfeardeath wrote:
Moyes_Is_God wrote:

Moyes_Is_God wrote:

Is this weird?

Yeah but if I was drinking 10 beers at home on my own getting slaughtered then I would find that weird!!

That is the question though I think, is it weird to drink so much but unsociably. The people I've spoken to seem to think drinking should be a social event.

I don't think it's weird at all, in fact I think it's a rising trend. I don't think drinking is strictly a social event anymore, for many reasons, eg pubs don't let smokers smoke, and the prices are ridiculous compared to drinking at home. Things have changed is all. So long as it's not every single day and you're not drunk all the time I think it's fairly normal behaviour these days.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:07 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

In your opinion I am a no- driker I guess .
Because I will have only one drink a time and maybe twice a month.
But this means to me it's special so I buy special beers or whiskey .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:17 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I don't know how anyone who drinks that much, or at least anyone who would admit it. I've spoken to a few people whose parents drink that regularly so maybe its not that uncommon, it's certainly not healthy though. The fact you've gone 17 days off suggests you're not an alcoholic but there's really only one way that level of drinking leads. Good luck with kicking it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:28 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Health-wise it's probably not doing you much good physically but it depends how much energy you burn off in a day I don't think Beer does to much damage to the old liver but it obviously contains a lot of calories so it can easily cause you to put on weight. Carrying extra weight around just puts added pressure on your bodies other organs

I consider myself a social drinker I very rarely drink at home but thats a personal choice because I tend to put weight on easily I have to control what I eat/drink so I tend to keep the beer to social situations.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Kie99 wrote:
I don't know how anyone who drinks that much, or at least anyone who would admit it.

I thought you were at Uni?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:47 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
I rarely drink at home.

Do I think you have a problem? Probably not but if the five beers turned into 10 then I'd say you did.

Don't compare yourself to idfd, he definitely has a problem :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:34 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

idontfeardeath wrote:
Kie99 wrote:
I don't know how anyone who drinks that much, or at least anyone who would admit it.

I thought you were at Uni?

Much to my chagrin people here rarely do anything other than binge drinking. I love a good casual drink, few points down the pub then home but the tendency here is to drink yourself to oblivion with cheap vodka once or twice a week. Even when going to the pub for football most people here have coke or just nothing. It probably works out cheaper and you end up with less total alcohol than the 5 pints 4-5 times a week though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:40 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Kie99 wrote:
... and you end up with less total alcohol than the 5 pints 4-5 times a week though.

Total alcohol consumption over a week is an arbitrary measure picked up by those who should know better to push a general health message. What's more important is ensuring you give your liver at least 48 hours per week to rest. 72 hours if you want to feel superior.

So it makes little to no difference if you drink 5 pints per night for 5 nights or save it all up for a big weekend when you down 12 pints a night.

And if you're worried about your waste-line, a gin and slim-line tonic has very few calories and 0 carbs. Result.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:45 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wouldn't someone do less damage drinking 5 pints 5 times a week than 12 pints twice a week?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:51 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

idontfeardeath wrote:
Wouldn't someone do less damage drinking 5 pints 5 times a week than 12 pints twice a week?

Nope. Of course, you can take it to extremes but within a wide band of moderation it makes very little difference. Like I said, it is more important to give your liver a rest.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:56 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wow I never knew that.

Whilst I'm here. On the uni side of things. Kie i'm shocked you don't know anyone who drinks in excess of 25 pints a week whilst at Uni. They should be getting smashed on a regular pre-drinks and then off to £1 a pint bars then house partys again after.

Whilst they're at it they should probably be smoking a load of draw and sniffing a load of 'drone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:39 am 
Colonel
Colonel

idontfeardeath wrote:
Wow I never knew that.

Whilst I'm here. On the uni side of things. Kie i'm shocked you don't know anyone who drinks in excess of 25 pints a week whilst at Uni. They should be getting smashed on a regular pre-drinks and then off to £1 a pint bars then house partys again after.

Whilst they're at it they should probably be smoking a load of draw and sniffing a load of 'drone

There are hardly any £1 nights in my Uni city, those that there are only serve revolting cheap alcopops at that price. it's probably a good thing in fairness, I get little enough work done as it is without 5 hangovers a week. Certainly no one does 25+ pints a week. We do predrinks but normally people bring a small bottle of vodka or 4-6 cans and that's the majority of the drinking for the night, a couple of drinks in the club aside, and that's once or twice a week normally.

Some of my housemates last year did weed, I was in a block of 16, but they were very much the minority. There was one crack head who visited from time to time but apart from him no one I know does any of the hard stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:49 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The 4 Unis I regularly visited friends at were Newcastle, Manchester, Leicester and Winchester. Manchester easily had the biggest drug problem I think from the 15-20 house partys I went to I was the only one there not on 'drone.

Leicester was ridiculously cheap. £1.50 pints buy one get one free.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:10 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Depends how big each beer is, are they little French bottles or litre bottles?

I drink most days, have done for 20 odd years. I don't need it but I enjoy it after work. I have maybe two bottles a night, not Becks size but smaller. Then I have more at the weekend. It's quite normal here to have people over and drink a bottle of wine.
Sunday morning market day they drink in the bar from about 10am. Difference is it's not inhaling it to get pissed.

I'm fit and not overweight.

I think most people know when they drink too much, if you think you do then probably you do.

But I see nothing wrong with a couple of beers or glasses of wine. I'd say 90% of the people I know do, back in the UK that is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:18 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Thanks for the feedback. I think the majority of you seem to think its at least not too bad so that makes me feel a bit better. At the same time I'm going to try and cut down a bit at least. Try and be strict and keep it to weekends only. My main concern is my liver. I don't seem to have a weight problem anymore so that's not a concern really. Just want to give the liver a rest every week like some of you have advised.

Kie I'm quite surprised by your reaction especially as you're at uni but I think it's reactions like yours that will help me get a little healthier. Although I can safely say, no I am definitely not an alcoholic! I thought to be an alcoholic you pretty much drink 24/7? What are people's thoughts on this? What makes an alcoholic an alcoholic? How much drink?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:20 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
I don't think it's how much you drink, it's if you can't manage without it that makes you an alcoholic.