AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for friendly, fun chat. Be nice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 588 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: wwf/wwe...your memories..
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:33 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Anyone order Mania XXX?

I have it recorded but Ill not be watching until Friday. It is apparently very good. Unfortunately I have had one of the matches ruined (and imo it is a huge upset - I certainly didnt see it coming).

The WWE is in as good a position as it has been since late 1999. A few better stories for the lower card guys, and better use of the tag division (although the Mania match is a step in the right direction), and I feel there is enough talent here to match the Attitude era.

I just hope they are working behind the scenes to get back Punk. Losing him is a big loss, especially after Y2J unexpectly retired, and there's still a void left by Edge.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:52 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
But it will always be miles behind due to it being PG. I barely even watch the events these days, and certainly give RAW/Smackdown a wide berth.

Watched all of WM last night, first 20 mins were the best of the whole thing. The result you're referring to (considering opponent) is pretty disgraceful.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:23 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Apparently it was his choice (and was made 4 years ago). I ended up watching it all last nighy to avoid more spoilers. There was a few suprise victories for me, although the two matches I was looking forward to were the tag matches. One ended up on the pre-show and the other lasted all of 5 minutes. The rest of matches turned out better than I expected, although the crowd were poor for most of the night.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:29 am 
Major General
Major General

What rubbish taker streak ended . . . .

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:06 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Only three days after being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, James Hellwig, who wrestled professionally as "The Ultimate Warrior," reportedly died Tuesday at 54, WWE officials announced.

WWE did not give a cause of death for Hellwig.

Hellwig appeared on WWE Raw on Monday in New Orleans on USA Network to a rousing ovation from fans, only a day after WrestleMania XXX.

Known for his extremely muscular physique, long, shaggy hair and colorful face paint, The Warrior feuded with many of the then-WWF's biggest stars, including Hulk Hogan and Randy "Macho Man" Savage during his career. He defeated Hogan at WrestleMania VI to become champion, and was also an ex-Intercontinental champion.

The Ultimate Warrior's career spanned 13 years, from 1985-98, and included three stints in the then-WWF. His most memorable run came from 1987-91. He came back for short stints in 1992 and 1996.

After being inducted into the Hall of Fame Saturday in New Orleans on the night before WrestleMania – the WWE's biggest event – Hellwig appeared on Raw on Monday and seemed to foreshadow his death.

Hellwig began his speech in his own voice, saying, "As I thought about what I was going to say this evening, it's been hard for me to find the words."

He then pulled a mask out of his pocket that looked like the face paint he wore at the height of his career and switched into the Warrior's voice.

"Well then, Warrior, you shut up then and let me do the talking," he said, as the crowd roared its approval. "No WWE talent becomes a legend on their own. Every man's heart one day beats its final beat; his lungs breathe their final breath.

"And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory."

He had long feuded with WWE management, but that seemed to end once he was elected to the Hall of Fame.

There was a photo of WWE CEO Vince McMahon and Hellwig warmly embracing at the Hall of Fame ceremony.

"WWE is shocked and deeply saddened to learn of the passing of one of the most iconic WWE superstars ever, The Ultimate Warrior," the WWE statement read.

"Warrior began his WWE career in 1987 and quickly went on to become one of the biggest stars in WWE history. Warrior became WWE Champion at WrestleMania VI, defeating Hulk Hogan in an epic encounter.

"We are grateful that just days ago, Warrior had the opportunity to take his rightful place in the WWE Hall of Fame and was also able to appear at WrestleMania 30 and Monday Night Raw to address his legions of fans. WWE sends its sincere condolences to Warrior’s family, friends and fans."

The WWE said Hellwig was 54 and is survived by his wife Dana and his two daughters.

Iron Sheik included a video of himself on Instagram in which he said, "Ultimate Warrior, I heard something tonight and I got shocked. I could not even believe it. But I want to let you know, whatever I said, I didn't mean it. It was a work. I love you. Rest in peace."

Former Yahoo Sports columnist Dave Meltzer, the founder of The Wrestling Observer and the foremost expert on pro wrestling in the media, said Warrior was one of the sport's most popular stars.

Meltzer said at Warrior's peak in 1990, he was second only to Hogan in popularity among the then-WWF fans.

"Warrior and Hogan represented that period, the era of the big bodybuilders and he was a huge, muscular guy," Meltzer said. "He connected well with kids and was a massive superstar at the time."

Meltzer said Hellwig had long and bitter feuds with McMahon and WWE management, which included multiple lawsuits.

Meltzer said Hellwig had reconciled with WWE officials and brought his young daughters on stage with him at the Hall of Fame ceremony.

"I didn't know him personally, but you could tell he lived for those kids," Meltzer said of Hellwig and his daughters, aged 11 and 13. "After the [induction ceremony], everybody got together and whatnot, but he disappeared to be with his kids."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:52 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Mental that one. Seen the photos of him from the other night, looked well enough.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:29 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
He was out in the ring on Monday night for RAW too.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:16 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Yeah I think it was raw I saw photos of, petty bizarre. Mightve stressed him out or something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

sounds like a lot of these guys struggle once their careers are over as it must be tough adjusting back to a normal life as these guys used to live a pretty hardcore life out on the road all the time most of them were on no end of drugs (prescription & recreational) and boozing heavily between shows.

Whenever one of them dies especially so young you do fear the worst and it might just be that his body gave up on him with the raw appearence more of a coincidence.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:36 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

He'd been out of the business for ages though. Like late 90s. Obviously was a bit mad though, changing his name to Warrior and all that.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:20 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Vince McMahon, as the chairman and CEO of WWE, is used to seeing individuals take beatings on the big stage, but he could not have seen this coming.

According to Forbes, McMahon somehow managed to lose $350m (£208m) in a single day as he endured an utter nightmare.

Forbes reported: "Shares dropped 29% the week after WWE announced its new online streaming network had only 667,000 subscribers, taking a $325 million chunk out of McMahon's fortune."

The WWE’s stock next took a huge tumble as it wiped out another $350 million - nearly a third of his value.

A lack of confidence in the product and falling shares have dropped his fortune to an estimated $750 million.

McMahon’s net worth peaked at $1.6 billion in March, but now he has taken an almighty pounding due to two key factors.

As well as doubts over WWE's new online streaming network, a very underwhelming new TV deal has left the company with a very devalued product.

The WWE's contract with NBC Universal to keep its hit shows "Raw" and "Smackdown" is only worth around $150 million annually, which is only a fraction of what many initially thought it would earn

So for a man used to marketing and promoting high-profile poundings, McMahon has now seen it come back to him after a day he will always want to forget.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
This coming Sunday, at Payback, will likely be the last time we see Batista in a WWE ring for quite some time, and it's impossible to call this run anything other than a disaster. I imagine Batista's comeback has gone very different to what he expected when he resigned. A title run when out the window courtesy of the fans and Daniel Bryan, he's ended up working a lot of shows, likely earning less than he thought due to the Network and has been put in a role as Triple H's henchman, a role he played a decade ago; and in fairness to him, he's took it all pretty well. He'll now go off back to Hollywood and promote Guardians of the Galaxy where the money is better, schedule lighter and without the risk of severe injury every time he turns up to work.

Since he returned in January, Batista has looked every one of his 45 years, and has somehow looked worse in the ring than he did when he debuted. He always looks on the verge of a major botch that severely injures somebody and is one of the weakest big men I've ever seen in a wrestling ring. The quality of matches has been dire too. He deserves credit for his role in the best WrestleMania main event in years where he was put in a role to succeed, but apart from that bout, he's offered nothing in the ring. The six-man tag against The Shield at Extreme Rules was great, but that was hardly because of him. He had a decent brawl with Sheamus on Smackdown, but that's literally it. He was never a good worker, but Triple H, The Undertaker and Eddie Guerrero (in his last PPV match) got genuinely great matches out of him, now he seems devoid of stamina and is far too timid for someone who is supposed to be an animal.

Batista's return flopped mostly because the fans didn't care that he left, didn't want him to return, never called for a comeback and were aghast he was being positioned as the next champion. And his impact has been so little, it'll be hard to notice he's even gone anywhere. He'll likely return in time for Royal Rumble or maybe a little earlier and be forced into a significant role on the card, which will be met with the same terrible reception he received this time. When WWE signed those checks with the many zeroes on the end, they were expecting a great deal more than what they've got from Big Dave, and he'll likely be sent out the door with a Roman Reigns spear.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:39 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Well, I thought I would resurrect this discussion for anyone interested, like myself, and I thought I would do it with this:

[yt]https://youtu.be/O20Po-_kyuk[/yt]

This instantly turned me into a Miz mark. As soon as I saw that, on one of the few Wrestlemanias I watched live, I loved The Miz. I always respected the dedication he showed to wrestling, and taking bumps for a living 300-ish days a year, when he could have translated his MTV "fame" into an easier job, bt that turned me into a total mark for the guy.

[yt]https://youtu.be/8d4SLA4HYp0[/yt] And more recently, there is this worked shoot. Amazing!

Or they would be if I could remember how to embed youtube vids :p

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Remove everything but the numbers I believe

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:04 am 
Major General
Major General

Spikey Macmarbles wrote:
Well, I thought I would resurrect this discussion for anyone interested, like myself, and I thought I would do it with this:

This instantly turned me into a Miz mark. As soon as I saw that, on one of the few Wrestlemanias I watched live, I loved The Miz. I always respected the dedication he showed to wrestling, and taking bumps for a living 300-ish days a year, when he could have translated his MTV "fame" into an easier job, bt that turned me into a total mark for the guy.

And more recently, there is this worked shoot. Amazing!

Or they would be if I could remember how to embed youtube vids :p

there u go ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:21 am 
Major General
Major General

I dont watch wrestling anymore ..its been good 7-6 years but i pop in to the see oldies Undertaker HHH Shawn Micheals ..Last wrestlemania i watched live was Undertaker vs HHH (2) .. I had a chance to see Undertaker vs Brock and deep inside i knew brock was scripted to break the streak so i didnt watched ..TBH evertytime i have switched on to wrestling was for Undertaker .. I just loved him ..

As for the Miz(2nd video) i think it was well scripted act .. I dont follow it anymore ..not sure this was Smackdown or some general talk show on WWE network .. For the little i have seen of Miz i liked him i found him more comfortable on Mic and has some infectious element about him than John Cena who IMO was forced to be successful despite his wrestling limitation and lack of aura charisma etc..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:02 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Was recently watching some Owen Hart stuff on the Network. He was awesome, just amazing pantomime villain. Everyone talks about Bret as being far and away the best Hart, but he had nowhere near the charisma that Owen had.

In the amazing WM10 match against Bret, there are so many little things, like locking Bret in the Figure 4, putting his arms in the air and just screaming "WOOOOOOOO".

Or winning a Slammy award, and then next year, while presenting the Slammy for Best Bowtie which should have gone to Mean Gene, he just decides he doesnt care what or who its for, its his, and ignores everyone telling him he hasnt won. He then gets new tights specially made to flaunt the fact that he is a 2 time Slammy winner.

I still remember his run as the Blue Blazer, where he refused to admit he was the Blue Blazer, and when a match was made where Owen had to team up with the Blazer, thinking that the jig would be up and we would finally prove they are the same, except Owen got a stand in Blue Blazer; a very obviously Koko B Ware in a Blazer costume.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:09 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Tuned out of it years ago company went in a different direction the rebelious aggresive attitude era caused to many problems for them with TV Networks so they started targetting kids as this is where the money is which is fair enough but I think with that it lost it's edge especially when it came to the sorts of characters they could create.

There was a show on about the clique on sky sports that I watched which was quite good but you can see just how messed up these guys are from years of abuse on the road

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:43 am 
Major General
Major General

Yup they are targetting kids now and after so much debacle concerning steroids abuse to bulk up and heal faster ..Now adays not many are huge walking muscles ..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:45 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

One Mr Benoit had a hell of a lot to do with that shift towards PG though. Frankly, looking back at some of the "classic" stuff, it turns the stomach. Those chairshots Mick Foley took from Rock, unprotected to the top of the head, it's no wonder he is a man child with a room in his house dedicated entirely to Christmas, all year round.

I saw a match from 04 I think recently, Cena beating JBL for the world title, and both bled, profusely, crimson mask doesn't even describe it, it made me feel physically sick looking at it.

The quality of the wrestling now is so, so, so much better than it used to be. The worst wrestler on the roster now is far better from an in ring perspective than some of the best back in the heyday. It's just the personalities that don't live up to it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 588 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next