AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for friendly, fun chat. Be nice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 588 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: wwf/wwe...your memories..
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:16 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

anyone here used to watch wwf/wwe back in the days? whats your fav memory of the wrestling years?...

mine had to be erm the WCW days around about 1998 ish..and then the attitude era in the wwe

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: wwf/wwe...your memories..
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:19 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
The attitude era was top quality.
I still watch it and want to know who the hell the GM is!

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:23 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

idontfeardeath wrote:
The attitude era was top quality.
I still watch it and want to know who the hell the GM is!

why did you make the other line small?..GM?..never heard of them/him/her....heard now a days its the PG era... :laugh:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:29 am 
Major General
Major General

The attitude era was a toned down version of ECW anyway, now the original ECW was fantastic, they were really pushing the boundaries and on occasion went pretty far over the line. One night Kurt Angle was there as he was about to sign for ECW, then Raven crucified the Sandman. Being a devout Christian Angle walked out and refused to work with the company, even though the management had no idea Raven was going to do it.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:36 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Oh, was just a joke. Put things you don't really think you should say small :D

GM is the raw general manager. He's only been interacting with the show via emails and no one knows who he is yet. Jericho and Edge have made it there mission to discover who he is.

Yeah it's 'pg' but i still get entertained by the storylines.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:45 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

the wcw was awesome because of the NWO, Sting..Diamond Dallas page

the wwe because of the likes of Austin, HHH and the great one...The Rock.

lets not forget the divas ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:45 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Not really watching it anymore as there's not many people I actually like in it apart from Randy Orton just think he pulls off the anti-hero psycho angle really well.

For me it's peak of popularity was when the The Rock, Stone Cold, Kurt Angle, Undertaker etc were all in it. The Rock was amazing he worked the crowd so well and was actually funny.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:54 am 
Major General
Major General

The Rock calling out Big Show and getting cut off by Jericho on his debut was brilliant.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:56 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

the best return...listen to the crowd. and then when kurt enters lmao..plus HHH must have been on some serious sted back then!!!

no one could work the mic like this guy...awesome, laughed my arse off

..and lets not forget Jim Ross having a spaz attack lol

hogan just gets owned...felt sorry for him after this..at 5:10 when the pie is ready...'look at the tongue look at the tongue look at the tongue!' HAHA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:44 pm 
Major General
Major General

The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin was where it was at... I used to absolutely love it. With Steve Austin I never understood how a violent alcoholic that kept saying 'what?' became popular. :lol:

For me WWE died the day it became two different entities (Smackdown/ Raw).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Riquelminho wrote:
The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin was where it was at... I used to absolutely love it. With Steve Austin I never understood how a violent alcoholic that kept saying 'what?' became popular. :lol:

For me WWE died the day it became two different entities (Smackdown/ Raw).

Well I imagine one of the key demographics for WWE is the southern states where (if we're stereotyping) being a violent alcoholic who doesn't understand anything you tell him is almost a way of live :lol:

Also, he got to beat up his boss on a weekly basis which lets face it at times would be a bit of a dream job.

It's worse now that they don't really have the enough really established characters imo to really carry the shows you just get the same stories repeated over and over because realistically on each show there's probably only 2 or 3 people who could be the champ.

Bring back the Harcore championship and make it 24/7 again that was brilliant someone getting pinned and losing the title while they were asleep :laugh:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

There are currently 6 men in the title scene. Edge Jericho Cena Orton Sheamus (Irish) and Barrett (English). There is the whole nexus invasion which as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:40 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

idontfeardeath wrote:
There are currently 6 men in the title scene. Edge Jericho Cena Orton Sheamus (Irish) and Barrett (English). There is the whole nexus invasion which as well.

nexus invasion?? who are they?..hardly D-generation X level i bet...Edge -> was poor back in the days of the rock/austin. Jericho - nothing special. Cena - The Rock wanna be. Orton -> trying to be a heel like HHH..but will never be as good. Sheamus -> just look at the name. Barret -> holland and barret? lmao.

gone are the days of when Bret the hitmans music would come on and the crowd would go wild, the days of Shawn Michael, a great entertainer, Man kind -> brilliant charachter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:44 pm 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

I used to follow it also back in the Rock, Stone Cold era. The Rock actually went to my high school so I have that goin for me which is nice. He's a few years older than me so i didn't know him or anything like that

And as far as the southern states thing goes JSP I'm not gonna say that you're right but ya ain't wrong either. It's massively popular here still and they sell out everywhere they go. Also I find it a little amusing that the stereotype of the typical "southerner" is known over there. I'm not sure how that happens cause I'm sure there are stereotypes for people from different parts of Britain but I'm not aware of any of them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Manutd4Ever wrote:
idontfeardeath wrote:

nexus invasion?? who are they?..hardly D-generation X level i bet...Edge -> was poor back in the days of the rock/austin. Jericho - nothing special. Cena - The Rock wanna be. Orton -> trying to be a heel like HHH..but will never be as good. Sheamus -> just look at the name. Barret -> holland and barret? lmao.

gone are the days of when Bret the hitmans music would come on and the crowd would go wild, the days of Shawn Michael, a great entertainer, Man kind -> brilliant charachter.

Cena has sold more merchandise than the rock and unlike the rock he's making movies but also keeping the company going.

Orton is a face not a heel and is brilliant at playing the part of his character.

Jericho is probably the best worker in the company over the past 15 yrs and can put on a good match with anyone and is willing to put anyone over.

I don't like the nexus but the story line has been done well.

Dismissing Sheamus and Barrett without even seeing them is just pure ignorance so we'll call time on the conversation there as you can't be adult like.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The James wrote:
I used to follow it also back in the Rock, Stone Cold era. The Rock actually went to my high school so I have that goin for me which is nice. He's a few years older than me so i didn't know him or anything like that

And as far as the southern states thing goes JSP I'm not gonna say that you're right but ya ain't wrong either. It's massively popular here still and they sell out everywhere they go. Also I find it a little amusing that the stereotype of the typical "southerner" is known over there. I'm not sure how that happens cause I'm sure there are stereotypes for people from different parts of Britain but I'm not aware of any of them.

Northerners = Weird speaking creatures and willing to brave all whether. Not much up top though :lol:
Southerners = Pansys
Welsh = Sheep shaggers
Irish = Alcoholics

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:51 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

idontfeardeath wrote:
Manutd4Ever wrote:
idontfeardeath wrote:

Cena has sold more merchandise than the rock and unlike the rock he's making movies but also keeping the company going.

Orton is a face not a heel and is brilliant at playing the part of his character.

Jericho is probably the best worker in the company over the past 15 yrs and can put on a good match with anyone and is willing to put anyone over.

I don't like the nexus but the story line has been done well.

Dismissing Sheamus and Barrett without even seeing them is just pure ignorance so we'll call time on the conversation there as you can't be adult like.

LMAO! are you honestly telling me the wrestlers you mentioned are better than the like of austin,The rock etc???

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The James wrote:

We get a lot of American TV over here which is where our knowledge of the southern states stereotype comes from. I can't imagine too many shows that reflect British sterotypes make it over to the states.

Nexus is basically a group of people who were competing on a show called WWE Nxt sort of like a talent contest for new stars. I don't know the full storyline but basically they decided that none of them would be getting the WWE contract so they formed a team called the Nexus. They'd basically come on Raw every week and disrupt matches beat people up etc. I think they did get all get contracts in the end after beating up Vince McMahon. Now they sort of fight every week against the Raw regulars.

From what I could tell it was a way of bringing back the rival stables concept where you used to have Dx or the Ministry of Darkness who used to battle each other you now have Raw vs Nexus. It also allowed them too push 5 or 6 guys straight into the show and freshen it up a bit rather than have to string out the Cena vs Orton storyline for another year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It was a different era and i can respect both men. I enjoy watching it now and enjoyed watching it then. I'm honestly saying Cena is more dedicated to the company than the Rock was who now isn't even willing to be known as the rock and I was telling you that Orton isn't even a heel like you stated.

I'm also telling you that you've proved yourself unable to have a conversation with someone who is making a point by mocking characters you aren't even aware of. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
It was a different era and i can respect both men. I enjoy watching it now and enjoyed watching it then. I'm honestly saying Cena is more dedicated to the company than the Rock was who now isn't even willing to be known as the rock and I was telling you that Orton isn't even a heel like you stated.

I'm also telling you that you've proved yourself unable to have a conversation with someone who is making a point by mocking characters you aren't even aware of. :thumbup:

The Rock isn't his name though is it he's trying to be an actor so he shouldn't be using a wrestling character to promote him although it obviously helps when he's staring in film. John Cena for me isn't as good a character as the rock he doesn't have the same appeal but he's hugely popular amongst fans probably at the level the rock was.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 588 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next