It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 review
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:21 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 review

The most complete digital communications device known to man?

By Alun Taylor • RegHardware

Quote:
95%

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 Android smartphone Big screen, quad-core Android handset with pressure sensitive stylus that does more than scribble.

Suggested Price: £528 (16GB)

More Info: Samsung's Galaxy Note 2 page
Clove's Galaxy Note 2 page (£430)
Amazon (£460)

I’ve no idea what the Korean is for "let’s stuff everything we can into a phone and ram it up Apple’s jacksie" but it’s a fair bet the phrase was used at the inception of the Galaxy Note 2. This Android handset is the feature-packed successor to the surprisingly successful Galaxy Note that I was quite taken with late last year.

Second draft: Samsung's Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 Android smartphone

Just as the first Note followed the design language of the Galaxy S2, so the Note 2 follows the S3. I’m no fan of the S3’s looks but, writ large, the aesthetics come together far more successfully. The S3 looks like a too big phone but the new Note looks like a beautifully proportioned small tablet.

Size and weight are close to the original, so the new device will still fit in the back pocket of my jeans without issue. The smooth and rounded chassis goes some way towards mitigating the size and bulk, and I like the low profile volume and power controls.

Marginally bigger screen and higher capacity battery too

There have been a few notable physical changes not least a bigger 720p screen which is now 5.55in rather than 5.3in corner-to-corner and a larger battery that's 3100mAh, up from 2500mAh. The cameras have been improved too, although the basic specs – 8Mp back and 1.9Mp front – are much as before.

The larger screen means the front of the Note 2 is almost entirely taken up by the Super AMOLED panel – perhaps this why it looks a more resolved design than the S3? Made of Gorilla Glass 2 and avoiding any Pentile matrix silliness, the Note 2’s 267dpi display is quite simply a thing of beauty. Bright, vivid, sharp as a tack and colourful – I can make no criticisms.

ImageImage
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 AnTuTu and SunSpider results

With a 1.6GHz Exynos 4412 quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM, support for 4G LTE and Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, the Note 2 is as up to date and powerful as you could possibly want. In short, it goes like blazes and has a superbly sweet and fluid UI. The AnTuTu and Sunspider numbers speak for themselves.

Bonus points

Being a Samsung device Android is here overlaid with TouchWiz but I’m prepared to forgive it this foible even if it’s a bit like painting a moustache on Rossetti’s Beata Beatrix. Yet, with all the extra functionality built into the Note 2, there is at least a solid reason for messing around with Google’s mobile OS beyond the simply aesthetic or bloody minded.

ImageImage
Memo options: handwriting recognition and note taking

Make no mistake, Samsung has added a truly bewildering – perhaps even excessive – amount of extra functionality the Note 2. Gesture commands, floating video screens and context-aware home pages. There's also a funky auto-rotate feature that uses the webcam to judge the angle of a line between your eyes relative to the device, which is handy if you are using the Note while lying down. The list just goes on.

Lest we forget the S Pen which is the Galaxy Note 2’s party trick. With this stylus, you can write, sketch, doodle and grab the screen in all manner of useful ways. Damn shame though that screen video record function seems to have bitten the dust between Samsung’s video guide and the Note 2 hitting the shelves.

The new Pen has an oblong rather than round profile making it easier to hold and easier to slot into its bay the right way. There's no lanyard to connect S Pen to Note but if it detects you walking away without replacing the stylus it will start beeping which is useful.

The Note’s screen can sense the pen before it touches down, thanks to a feature called Air View. Hover over a gallery, video or e-mail with the stylus and a preview of the file opens. I have to admit this is not a feature I've been crying out for on a mobile phone but it is pretty cool. Handwriting recognition is also much improved over the original Note.

Under pressure

The new S Pen is also more sensitive compared to the original and can now distinguish between 1024 different levels of pressure. You can feel and see the difference this makes and you now get extremely fine control over line thickness.

Superb video player

How does it work as a phone? Superbly, thanks to a size that puts speaker and microphone closer to ear and mouth than smaller devices can manage and very good active noise cancellation. Also, that huge and removable battery proved capable of more than eight hours of HD video playback, and an easy 60 hours of call and data intensive general use.

To conclude on some peripheral features the loudspeaker is powerful and composed and put my Nexus 7 to shame when it came to listening to music or video sans headphones. The MicroUSB port supports HDMI-out and USB OTG and you get a very nice pair of earphones. To cap it all, the Note 2 also comes with 48GB of Dropbox storage free for two years.

Winning combination: the Note 2's mix of handset and tablet works out well despite being a large form factor

Verdict

For a pound less than a 16GB iPhone 5 with its piddly 4in screen, terrible maps app, dodgy Wi-Fi reception and scratch-prone body, the Galaxy Note 2 is something of a bargain if you are after the ultimate mobile phone. It has the physical presence of an A380, the power of Concorde and the stamina of a U-2, and is packed with more features than a Swiss army knife.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 review
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:02 am 
General
General

I don't even use mobile phones and yet this looks awesome. :drool: So what do we think?

Apparently the size isn't as unwieldy as you might think and smaller hands have no trouble using it as a phone, and that's from a petite 5' 4" (IIRC) woman who has one and has no trouble using it as a phone despite it's size.

Seems the 7-inch format that Jobs said wouldn't work is doing rather nicely, a kinda best of both worlds between phone and tablet. What was it Jobs said? "7-inch tablets are going to be DOA". Oops. But that was before Apple flip-flopped and created the Mini to copy the 7-inch Android crowd that were making them with great success... EG Google, Amazon and Barnes & Noble. I suppose enabling it as a phone as well as a mini-tablet was common sense considering it has all the equipment needed to function as both... and improved battery life to boot 'cause those larger screens just eat power. This is what Apple need to be worried about, not their invalid patents.

The closer they get to real pocket computers the more I like 'em I guess. :shrug:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:12 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Suggested price £528 :laugh:

Think I might give it a miss.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:10 pm 
General
General

idontfeardeath wrote:
Suggested price £528 :laugh:

Think I might give it a miss.

But it's only £430 online. :lol:

But that's still nearly £100 cheaper, and tbh these things rarely sell for full RRP... unless the full asking price is built in to and hidden inside the monthly contract with the phone company. Which, of course, it usually is if you do the maths. :rolleyes:

Price wise, that's what I think about mobile phones in general nevermind fancy smartphone/tablet/phablet/phlappy/whatever this is. But most people don't seem to mind 'cause most people have one... smartphone penetration in the UK is said to be just over 50% so if you're not buying them direct your mobile network provider is.

Besides, while it's a lot it's still not that much for a top-end product like this. EG The Apple online store was advertising the 16GB iPhone 5 pre-order for the eye watering price of £529... the rival iPad Mini costs £269-£529 while the larger iPads start at £430 and rise to £699! :ohmy: So this isn't out of the ballpark set by Apple, it's a niche, top end product not just any old smartphone for the masses. TBH it's the fact they've combined the two so effectively that gets my interest, I'd rarely use the phone part of it, but it appears to blow the competition out of the water so if you're paying a monthly contract anyway you might be tempted to go for something a little different like this. As well as being more powerful than it's rivals it's also much cooler imo. :geek:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:53 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I had a look at the note in a shop..the size was mental IMO. It might feel comfortable in the hand and what not, but I thought it looked daft.

This ones dimensions look about the same.

I don't really get this inbetween size that companies are going for. To me, it's too small to act as a proper table, and it's too large to be a practical, in your pocket mobile phone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:17 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
borocooper wrote:
I don't really get this inbetween size that companies are going for. To me, it's too small to act as a proper table, and it's too large to be a practical, in your pocket mobile phone.

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion so went for the S3 LTE instead. Would highly recommend it; big enough to be an effective browsing tool and e-reader yet fits into your pockets comfortably.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:29 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

borocooper wrote:
I had a look at the note in a shop..the size was mental IMO. It might feel comfortable in the hand and what not, but I thought it looked daft.

This ones dimensions look about the same.

I'm with you on this, I can't see the use of it. I've an S3 at the moment and while I love it it's just a shade too large to be practical, I can't imagine carrying one of these behemoths round with me everywhere instead of a phone. The S3 is plenty big enough to browse on and with a bit of practice (or a 20p stylus) you can do pretty much all the same things you can on the Note.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:34 pm 
General
General

borocooper wrote:
It might feel comfortable in the hand and what not, but I thought it looked daft.

Each to their own, I'm no expert. But I did get the impression that most concerns seem to have been regarding practical usability EG too big for the hand/pockets, rather than aesthetics, though it's not unattractive I don't think? TBH smartphones and tablets all tend to look much the same to me, there's only so much you can do with a phone/tablet design while maximising screen space... it's a sensible move to keep the size of the device down but it inevitably makes sure that the screen dominates the whole front of the device and there's not a lot of room left for anything else.

Plus I don't see the size limiting the usefulness of the phone part of it, because it's not like you have to hold it up to your ear to have a phone conversation in these days of built-in microphones/speakers as standard or wireless headsets for hands-free chat.

As to why anybody would want one this size, that's anybody's guess, depends what they're looking for. Largely the same reasons as the market for larger tablets I suppose, but also of interest to smartphone users wanting something a bit different.

I can think of a few reasons why they might sell though, EG it's easier portability over a standard 10-inch tablet, the battery lasting longer so if recharging opportunities will be limited then it could be an advantage, same if space is at a premium, and I guess it's more versatile than a phone due to the increased screen size EG can't be much fun watching a movie on a smaller mobile phone screen... also the sensitive touch screen is getting arty types all wet because they can draw in 1,024 levels of pressure so it'll double as a touch sensitive graphics tablet too, saving money/desk space. Seems a versatile piece of kit.

It'd also save you carrying more than one device around so if it'll do both phone/tablet uses well enough and handle calls from the office plus allows watching movies, browsing or gaming on a bigger/big enough/more acceptable screen for when you're off duty I can definitely see it being useful to some.

And so much for Jobs' famous rant about 7 inch screens not working because I hear that for many who've laid hands on one, these are proving way more usable than first suspected. Including Apple, apparently, who now sell one of their own after climbing on the copycat bandwagon, though obviously their tablets won't be letting you make telephone calls purely because they want to sell you an iPhone on top. It just always seemed a bit mean to me not to enable telephony on tablets for those that want to use it considering they all have the equipment built in already, and you don't have to use it if you've already got a phone and are just looking for a smaller, more handy pocket sized tablet to go along side it. As always, having a choice is better than not having one.

Horses for courses then, probably not everybody's cup of tea, just depends what floats your boat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:44 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I'm sure it'll sell. Some people must want these things. They do look fine, as nice as any other smartphone. It's purely the huge size that puts me off it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:57 pm 
General
General

borocooper wrote:
I'm sure it'll sell. Some people must want these things. They do look fine, as nice as any other smartphone. It's purely the huge size that puts me off it.

Fair enough.

I know the world has a hard on for touch screens atm, but if I were designing a new smartphone I'd revert back to the slide out keyboard and maybe on the reverse there'd be a bigger screen to enable the mini-tablet advantages while making the phone no bigger than they currently are, if not quite as thin. Or cheap. Maybe that's why I don't design phones? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:59 am 
Colonel
Colonel

conscience wrote:
borocooper wrote:

Fair enough.

I know the world has a hard on for touch screens atm, but if I were designing a new smartphone I'd revert back to the slide out keyboard and maybe on the reverse there'd be a bigger screen to enable the mini-tablet advantages while making the phone no bigger than they currently are, if not quite as thin. Or cheap. Maybe that's why I don't design phones? :lol:

Been done more or less

Image Image

I had one, the main problem is that it's really thick, and you can't really have a case on it to protect it without it becoming a virtual cube. The build of the phone, with having moving parts, made it feel a lot less solid than your Galaxy or particularly your iPhone. Battery life was shocking as well. Saying that, I did really like mine when I had it, I just found the processor wasn't fast enough to run most new apps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:45 am 
General
General

Kie99 wrote:
Been done more or less

I had one, the main problem is that it's really thick, and you can't really have a case on it to protect it without it becoming a virtual cube. The build of the phone, with having moving parts, made it feel a lot less solid than your Galaxy or particularly your iPhone. Battery life was shocking as well. Saying that, I did really like mine when I had it, I just found the processor wasn't fast enough to run most new apps.

Something like that yeah, but was thinking that the back of the keyboard could also extend the screen somehow, maybe using the rest of the back of the phone too to add a more movie/gaming-sized screen while saving the extra space the larger 7" tablet case would need.

Here's the closest thing I've ever seen to my idea, just searched for it, apparently it's a concept phone so whether it'll ever see the light of day is anybody's guess.

Now imagine when you flip it over, that the back of the keyboard + back of the screen shown there join together to make one big screen for non-interactive viewing. Sorta thing. Was just a thought. Pity I don't have a Note II or I could sketch it....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:03 am 
General
General

Nevermind. Seems Google already patented it. :rolleyes:

"Mobile communication device having extendable display"

http://www.google.com/patents/US7149557