AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Anonymous Annals
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:07 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
LulzSec Leader Betrays All of Anonymous

According to the FBI, you're looking at Sabu, the head of LulzSec, and the de facto King of Anonymous—easily the most notorious and influential hacker alive today.

One thing: he just turned in his people to the police.

The name Sabu should be familiar: as part of LulzSec, a potent offshoot of Anonymous, he masterminded legendary attacks against the CIA, FBI, Sony, and numerous other corporate and government targets. He was their Captain Hook. That was before. Fox News reports the shadowy hack deity is not only confirmed to be unemployed 28-year-old New Yorker Hector Xavier Monsegur, but that Sabu has been "collaborating with the government for months," leading to a string of arrests around the world today. It's unclear how many will be dragged down with Sabu's nine months of federal collaborating, but it's safe to assume whatever vestiges of LulzSec remained are toast—we'll know for sure when all of the indictments are unsealed.

And according to Fox, the dragnet was thick:

Quote:
On August 15, 2011 Monsegur pleaded guilty to more than ten charges relating to his hacking activity. In the following few weeks, he worked almost daily out of FBI offices, helping the feds identify and ultimately take down the other high-level members of LulzSec and Anonymous, sources said.

That's right—the man who helped the internet celebrate #F**kFBIFridays was doing so from an FBI desk. But only after the feds wielded Sabu's children against him:

Quote:
"He didn't go easy," a law enforcement official involved in flipping Sabu told FoxNews.com. "It was because of his kids. He didn't want to go away to prison and leave them. That's how we got him."

I've talked to Sabu multiple times, and on each occasion he's seemed more and more distant, to the point where it was hard to get in touch with him at all. Now, says the FBI, it's because he was busy ratting out his cadre.

This also isn't the first time Sabu's been accused as a snitch—a prominent hacker and Sabu-detractor by the name of Virus I spoke with last year ranted about his hunch that the LulzSec leader was a rat:

Quote:
6:12:32 PM virus: I don't have proof of him being a snitch, and he doesn't have proof of me being a snitch. it's my word against his.
6:15:39 PM virus: he disappeared for a week, I don't recall what day
6:15:52 PM virus: but when he returned he said his grand mother died and that's why he was MIA
6:16:01 PM virus: after that he started offering me money to own people
6:16:14 PM Sam Biddle: anyone important?
6:16:55 PM virus: backtrace security and laurelai
6:17:22 PM virus: he gave me IPs, asked me to access their accounts with their IP and asked me to access their emails
6:17:25 PM virus: told me he would pay me
6:17:42 PM Sam Biddle: did you?
6:17:53 PM virus: no, I found that to be suspicious and declined

6:19:19 PM virus: another reason why I believe he was converted after he disappeared and returned is everybody else started getting arrested one by one starting with ryan clearly, who was their ddos bitch
6:19:29 PM virus: yes, I believe he cut a deal to save himself

This August conversation jibes perfectly with Fox's report, who says Sabu began working for the FBI in June after they busted him—it's unclear what his fate is now. What is clear is the enormous grin of the feds, who have finally fired one back after almost a year of humiliations and runarounds from Anonymous brass:

Quote:
"This is devastating to the organization," said an FBI official involved with the investigation. "We're chopping off the head of LulzSec."

Though LulzSec proper has been dormant since last summer, Sabu has remained a hugely influential character atop a vast cult of personality. The revelation that he's sold out the movement he professed to love so much will deal as much a psychological as logistical blow to Anon. After all, the guy tweeted this, only yesterday:

Quote:
"The federal government is run by a bunch of f**king cowards. Don't give in to these people. Fight back. Stay strong."

Whatever you say, Hector.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:16 am 
General
General

Resurrection Joe wrote:
:grass:

Indeed. :hmm:

I had heard it said that he'd turned before, and quoted there you have as much evidence (best you can tell with claim and counter-claim) as I've yet seen is that he disappeared and came back offering people money to perform specific hacks RE the conversation with Virus. And lulzsec isn't anonymous, so this changes nothing in that regard. In fact, some of the Lulzsec stuff (EG the Sony hack) actually lost sympathy to the Anonymous cause so this is actually a positive from that pov.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:30 pm 
General
General

Hackers group says it will target Iran on Sunday

By Jack Maddox, CNN

(CNN) -- The Internet hackers group Anonymous plans to hack Iran on Sunday, according to a press release published on their website. The group wants to use International Workers' Day, which commemorates the first national general strike in the United States, as an opportunity to reignite last year's protests in Iran.

Exactly how they intend to "attack" Iran remains to be seen. The sophistication of their previous attacks ranges from the denial-of-service overloading of web servers (this simply knocks a website out) to the exploitation of code and accessing of private data (more like the hacking seen in the movies).

The announcement follows news from the Bahrain News Agency that Iranian hackers had tried to access the Housing Ministry's database regarding those who benefit from the housing services.

The group Anonymous is known for its volunteer association with the perceived underdogs, the side that comes under pressure from the authorities, its statement said, and it views the people of Iran as the next step in the wave of revolutions passing through the Middle East and North Africa.

The attacks are scheduled to start at 5 a.m. GMT (1 a.m. ET) on Sunday.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:56 pm 
General
General

Anonymous claims responsibility for taking down government sites

Home Office, Ministry of Justice and No 10 sites fully operational after apparent denial-of-service attack by hacking collective

Press Association via guardian.co.uk

Home Office building in London: The Home Office's site was down for several hours on Saturday night, with a page saying it was unavailable 'due to a high volume of traffic'. Photograph: Graham Turner for the Guardian

A group of computer hackers have claimed responsibility for taking down the Home Office website, apparently in protest against government extradition and surveillance policies.

Internet users were unable to fully access the department's homepage for several hours on Saturday night as a message on the site said the page was currently unavailable "due to a high volume of traffic".

One message on Twitter claiming to be from Anonymous said the action was "for your draconian surveillance proposals", while another said it was in protest at the UK's extradition treaty with the US.

It read: "You should not give UK citizens to foreign countries without evidence. If an offence happened in the UK, so should the trial."

Another tweet claiming to be from members said the action had been taken in "protest of the potential extradition of Gary McKinnon, Christopher Harold Tappin & Richard O'Dwyer".

There were also claims on Twitter that the group had disrupted the websites of the Ministry of Justice and No 10.

One message said: "#Anonymous launched a cyberattack on http://www.number10.gov.uk, http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk & http://www.justice.gov.uk resulting in multiple TANGO DOWNS."

All three government websites are now fully operational.

After the Home Office website was disrupted, the department said it had been "aware of some reports that the Home Office website may be the subject of an online protest" and had "put all potential measures in place".

It is believed the site may have been hit by a denial-of-service attack, which prevents a website from functioning properly, sometimes by swamping it with more traffic than it can handle.

Last week it emerged that the government was planning a huge expansion of its powers to monitor the email exchanges and website visits of every person in the UK.

Under legislation expected in next month's Queen's speech, internet companies will be instructed to install hardware enabling GCHQ to examine on demand any phone call made, text message and email sent and website accessed, in real time without a warrant.

Ministers have faced a backlash over the plans, with senior MPs from both coalition parties, as well as civil liberties groups, lining up to denounce it. The move has been condemned by opponents as an unnecessary extension of the state's powers to "snoop" on its citizens.

Meanwhile, the Commons home affairs select committee has called for an overhaul of the extradition arrangements between the UK and the US to restore "public faith". Many critics believe it is easier to extradite a British citizen to the US than vice versa.

Tappin, 65, a retired Kent businessman, is being held in jail in New Mexico while he awaits trial on arms dealing charges after being extradited last month.

Student Richard O'Dwyer, 23, of Chesterfield, is also fighting extradition after being accused of breaking American copyright laws by using his computer in the UK.

Gary McKinnon, 46, from Wood Green, north London, is still waiting to hear whether he will be extradited over charges he hacked into US military computers 10 years ago.

Anonymous has become increasingly politicised amid a global clampdown on music piracy and the international controversy over WikiLeaks.

Authorities in Europe, North America and elsewhere have made dozens of arrests, and Anonymous has increasingly attacked law enforcement, military and intelligence-linked targets in retaliation.

One of Anonymous's most spectacular coups was secretly recording a conference call between US and British cyber-investigators tasked with bringing the group to justice.

The collective has no real membership structure, with hackers, activists, and supporters able to claim allegiance to its freewheeling principles at their convenience.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:57 am 
General
General

These Breasts Nailed a Hacker For the FBI

Last week, Higinio O. Ochoa III was charged by the FBI with hacking into US law enforcement agencies and releasing phone numbers and home addresses of police officers. You're looking at the evidence the FBI used to nail him.

Ochoa is a 30-year-old Linux administrator who lives in Galveston, Texas. The FBI accuses him of being part of Anonymous hacking group CabinCr3w and participating in several illegal actions. The woman in the photo is his Australian girlfriend, who lives in Wantirna South, a suburb of Melbourne, Australia. The image was used by the FBI as 'definitive proof' that shows that the CabinCr3w hacker known as w0rmer and Ochoa are the same person.

Boob proof

Here is what happened: back in February, Ochoa allegedly posted a tweet using the handle @Anonw0rmer. In that tweet, he directed followers to a site in which he posted pilfered information from various law enforcement agency websites. At the bottom of that site there was the image of this woman, now identified as his girlfriend, with a sign that read "PwNd by w0rmer & CabinCr3w <3 u BiTch's !"

The picture—taken with an iPhone—had GPS information which showed that the photo was taken at the woman's home in Wantirna South. The GPS information was embedded in the photo's EXIF data (EXIF is a set of standard tags that includes information such as location, camera type, and other image information in every photo you take with your smartphone).

Other tweets from @Anonw0rmer pointed to other sites that contained references to the w0rmer alias and more pictures of this woman. Some of the sites had Ochoa's name connected to the w0rmer alias, which was enough cause for the FBI to gain access to Ochoa's Facebook page. There, the discovered that he listed the Australian woman as his girlfriend, and showed off several of her photos.

Although the photo used as evidence doesn't show the woman's face, the FBI is convinced there is no doubt that it is the same woman. They also claim that it is definitive proof that Ochoa is w0rmer.

Not a snitch

Unlike Sabu—who sold his colleagues to the FBI—Ochoa says he's not a snitch. Higinio was busted on March 20, according to a Pastebin post allegedly written by himself on March 31. In that post, he said that "around 8 agents from the FBI stormed [in his] apartment" at around 10:30 a.m. He then was taken to a Houston FBI office until he paid a $50,000 bail.

In the same Pastebin, Ochoa claimed he wasn't an informant:

Quote:
Some body such as myself who not only participated in the occupy movement but knew many and knew the inner workings of the 'infamous' cabin crew would not be just put away without wondering if he could be turned. I did how ever tell FBI that I would participate in the capture of my fellow crew mates, a play which undoubtfully both satisfied and confused the FBI.

Those however who know me best would vouch for me undoutfully that doing so would put this movement at risk, something that I wish more anon's would not only consider but place higher than themselves and those around them. ALL information provided to the FBI merely made MY case weaker and caused internal confusion showing the inherent weakness in the system.

The FBI has detailed some of Ochoa's personal hacking. He illegally logged into the County of Houston's website in Alabama, "created fake events on their online, posted images representing Anonymous and CabinCr3w, deleted all the administrator accounts except the one created by the attacker. All of this was accomplished by gaining unauthorized administrator access to the site's control panel."

In addition to revealing policemen's personal information from several law enforcement agencies, including more than one hundred Los Angeles police officers, CabinCr3w was also responsible for leaking email address and confidential information from Goldman Sachs executives in September 2011.

Ochoa took time to reply to these accusations:

Quote:
After FBI Agent Scott Jenson [sic] was done explaining how unimpressed he was with both my expressed skills, and information I provided the systems administrator for the texas DPS, he then proceeded to interview me for the exact information concerning the breach of the texas DPS site. (It would seem to me neither the DPS administrator nor the FBI fully understand the ‘complexity' of SQL injections.)

Ochoa appeared on April 10 before Magistrate Courtroom Deputy Annette French, where the boob evidence above was revealed in the FBI's affidavit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Anonymous Press Release - Operation Bahrain

Thursday - April 19, 2012 7:00 PM ET USA

Anonymous has watched with growing alarm the incredible human rights abuses of the Bahrain regime. We have watched this tyrannical government tear gas it's own people literally to death, with over 30 fatalities so far. We have watched as thousands of innocent protesters and activists have been jailed. We have suffered with our dear friend @AngryArabiya on Twitter as she watches her father slowly die of a hunger strike in prison to protest the atrocities committed by the regime of this "king" of Bahrain. We have witnessed doctors and nurses imprisoned for simply treating the wounded protesters that your security forces have brutalized. And finally we have suffered in outrage the ignorance and out right lies of mainstream media regarding what is REALLY happening in Bahrain.

1) This is NOT a Shia uprising against a Sunni government. It is a popular and peaceful revolt against the medieval concept of absolute monarchy. It is a movement that spans all strata and sectors of society, and all religions in Bahrain. It is a movement that demands only freedom, justice - and democracy.

2) This government is not quelling violent protests, it is brutally and violently crushing peaceful dissent.

3) This government is NOT legitimate. It is a tyrannical, barbaric - and human rights violating dictatorship. And ANYONE doing business with this regime have the blood of Bahrain's Freedom Martyrs on their hands.

For over a year now, we have as a global movement concentrated our efforts in Libya and Syria, leaving Anonymous Bahrain to to defend their fellow citizens in cyber space. This will no longer be the case. As of tomorrow, Friday - April 20, 2012 the entire global Anonymous will begin to take up the cause of the Bahrain Revolution. The King of Bahrain be warned, we are about to unleash the worst shitstorm you have ever seen - and your time as dictator is over. We will help your people remove you from power, and we will see you tried in the Hague for your many crimes against humanity.

The occasion of Anonymous re-launching Operation Bahrain will be this despicable Grand Prix Formula One race to be held in Bahrain tomorrow through the 22nd of April. Mr. Eccelstone, you are either one evil mother fucker to hold your race in support of this regime (The Kings family are actually investors and make direct profit) - or else you have been lied to and are ignorant of the atrocities committed by these tyrants. In either case, beginning tomorrow - and lasting for the duration of your race we are going to fucking educate you on the truth in a way you can not ignore.

Beginning tomorrow, and lasting for the duration of this race - Anonymous will turn your web site (www.formula1.com) into a smoking crater in cyber space. We will also jam your phone lines, bomb your E-Mail inboxes - and wreck anything else of yours we can find on the internet. You can god damn well expect us. And to anyone in the world who watches this race, either in person or on television - you also have the blood of the Bahrain Freedom Martyrs on your hands. Turn your face away from this abominable entertainment, and join us online to defend the brave protesters fighting for their freedom in Bahrain. Finally, we join with Anonymous Bahrain in asking that all the drivers in this race protest this evil regime by refusing to cross the start line at the beginning of the race.

Internet Freedom Fighters around the globe, join us this weekend and fight for freedom and justice in Bahrain: irc.voxanon.net #OpBahrain

We Are Anonymous - We Are Everywhere - We Are Legion - We Never Forget - We Never Forgive - EXPECT US

SIGNED -- Anonymous

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Someones view on an F1 forum I use

Quote:
This whole situation gets more surreal by the minute.

1. Everyone is outraged at the idea of F1 playing into the hands of the Bahraini elite by going through with the race.
2. As a result of the race, the world's media descend on Bahrain and immediately give the protesters the best platform they could ever have hoped for, whilst Bernie and the royal family are portrayed as monsters for allowing the race.
3. Anonymous say they will hack the F1 website to publicise the cause of the protesters (something F1 itself is doing far more effectively, if inadvertently).
4. That news acts as free advertising and increases traffic to the F1 site exponentially, raising the sport's profile in the process.

So what should be F1 favouring the elite and Anonymous helping the protesters is actually F1 helping the protesters and Anonymous helping F1.

This is all so mad I'm actually starting to enjoy it. Can't wait to hear the next bit of insanity from Bernie.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:22 am 
General
General

idontfeardeath wrote:
Someones view on an F1 forum I use

Quote:
3. Anonymous say they will hack the F1 website to publicise the cause of the protesters (something F1 itself is doing far more effectively, if inadvertently).
4. That news acts as free advertising and increases traffic to the F1 site exponentially, raising the sport's profile in the process.

So what should be F1 favouring the elite and Anonymous helping the protesters is actually F1 helping the protesters and Anonymous helping F1.

This is all so mad I'm actually starting to enjoy it. Can't wait to hear the next bit of insanity from Bernie.

:lol:

F1 helping the protesters? Please! They're helping themselves to a pile of cash and the Bahrain king to a massive pile of good publicity (in his eyes) for having an F1 race in his country. Not sure how this helps the protesters or how you'd enjoy it when so many people are currently dying at the hands of his brutal regime. :blink: As for F1's profile, it's as trashed as could be by simply supporting a race there.

As for promoting the F1 website, there won't be a website there to promote, not while the race is on anyway. :lol: Though it's up right now, it's already been down once today...

Quote:
Formula 1 website attacked by Anonymous, brought down by DDoS

by Graham Cluley - sophos.com

Anonymous hacktivists appear to have successfully blasted the Formula 1 website off the net, with a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack.

The internet attack against http://www.formula1.com comes just ahead of Bahrain's highly controversial hosting of the Formula 1 Grand Prix this weekend, which is planned to take place despite violent protests in the country.

F1 website

Under the banner of "#OpBahrain", Anonymous hackers also defaced a website associated with Formula 1 racing, and posted a press release:

Message from Anonymous

Part of the message read:

Quote:
For over one year the people of Bahrain have struggled against the oppressive regime of King Hamad bin Al Khalifa. They have been murdered in the streets, run over with vehicles, beaten, tortured, tear gassed, kidnapped by police, had their businesses vandalised by police, and have tear gas thrown in to their homes on a nightly basis.

Still the regmine persists to deny any meaningful reform and continues to use brutal and violent tactics to oppress the popular calls for reformation. Not only is the Human Rights situation in Bahrain tragic, it becomes more drastic with each passing day. For these reasons the F1 Grand Prix in Bahrain should be strongly opposed. The Al Khalifa regime stands to profit heavily off the race and has promised to use live ammunition against protestors in preparation. They have already begun issuing collective punishment to entire villages for protests and have promised further retribution "to keep order" for the F1 events in Bahrain. The Formula 1 racing authority was well-aware of the Human Rights situation in Bahrain and still chose to contribute to the regime's oppression of civilians and will be punished.

Attacks against websites are hardly likely to change the minds of the Grand Prix organisers, but there's no doubt that these actions do make even more people aware of the controversy surrounding the race this weekend.

DDoS attacks are one of the favourite weapons in Anonymous's armoury. Just earlier this month, Anonymous supporters successfully launched DDoS attacks against websites belonging to the British Home Office and 10 Downing Street.

Post subject: Re: The Anonymous Anals
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:28 am 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
Actually the post IDFD quoted is right.

The site is only going to be down temporarily, it's even back up now. So people are going to be able to check it out still.

And F1 has given the protesters a lot more publicity than they'd have had if no race was being held there.

Own goal on this one.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:45 pm 
General
General

Reedo wrote:
Actually the post IDFD quoted is right.

The site is only going to be down temporarily, it's even back up now. So people are going to be able to check it out still.

And F1 has given the protesters a lot more publicity than they'd have had if no race was being held there.

Own goal on this one.

Not really an own goal, taking it down for 10 seconds put it firmly in the news. DDoS attacks don't really do any damage, they just end up basically causing it to reboot, disrupting the service. Big companies like F1 (you'd assume) would have backups and spare servers that take over in the event of failure etc. anyway...

But that actually wasn't the point, it was a PR stunt. And the PR was first rate, it got widely covered and that was the point.

And you can hardly claim F1 has helped the protesters? :doh: They're in bed with the people who are slaughtering them! So it's nice to see Bernie Ecclestone and Co. rightly getting slammed for this. Just how cold would you have to be to even consider taking any sport to a place where things like that are going on?! Money > People for greedy types like them, it's a disgrace and I hope everybody followed the call to boycott the race in support of the protesters... but I wonder how many did? :|

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I'm watching both the race and the football. I'm not going to boycott the race.

Before F1 went to Bahrain how many ordinary people did you see discussing the protest?

The F1 has even got it being discussed in parliament

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:02 pm 
General
General

idontfeardeath wrote:
I'm watching both the race and the football. I'm not going to boycott the race.

Before F1 went to Bahrain how many ordinary people did you see discussing the protest?

The F1 has even got it being discussed in parliament

It's a pity you didn't feel it was lending your support to imo, but obviously that's up to you.

And the disgrace of F1 going there has got it discussed in parliament you mean!? It certainly wasn't because of any good intentions towards the suffering population. Don't forget South Africa was long boycotted because of their Apartheid racism shame and there's probably been other examples of sports boycotting places that I can't think of. I'd say what's happening in Bahrain is as least as bad as racism though.

This isn't a competition about who can generate the most PR btw - it's not really about measuring who got the more column inches, be that Anonymous or F1. Though incidentally, http://f1-racers.net/ is currently hacked and defaced with a message and video evidence of some of the stuff going on. Worth a look if you're interested or just want to learn a bit more about it.

I think that any reputable person/company/sport/etc that had anything to do with a regime like that is just asking for trouble though imo, and public outcry at the very least. Some people were discussing it before F1 btw, maybe not you but many of us were already well aware of the troubles over there and are pretty angry that anybody would support, work with and/or lend credibility to the people responsible for committing these crimes against humanity. They need bringing to trial not making richer ffs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:09 pm 
General
General

From F1-racers.net (currently defaced)

Quote:
Anonymous has been monitoring the human rights situation in Bahrain and the popular democratic uprising for over a year now, only to see the oppression of its people grow worse. When governments murder peaceful protesters on an ongoing basis, their illegitimacy becomes clear to all who can see. The government of Bahrain has been warned. We will not stop our support of the Bahraini people or our war against your tyranny until the people of Bahrain have true freedom and peace. This regime - which maintains its power by force and justifies it by birthright - has responded to the protests with a violent crackdown calculated to intimidate those within the country and a sophisticated public relations strategy calculated to deceive those outside of it. The crackdown has left scores dead and thousands in prison; the PR campaign is intended to ensure that such protesters are not only injured and imprisoned, but also libeled and forgotten. The violence is handled in the usual way; the lies come courtesy of an American PR firm called Qorvis. For too long, we have watched this tyrannical government tear gas its own people literally to death, with over 30 fatalities reported so far. We have watched as thousands of innocent protesters and activists have been jailed. We have watched as human rights advocate Abdulhadi Alkhawaja commits himself to death via a prison hunger strike that as of 22/4/2012 is 74 days in length, simply in the hope that some men somewhere will notice what is being done to other men here. We have witnessed doctors and nurses imprisoned merely for treating those wounded protesters who find themselves brutalized by security forces. And we have become outraged by the ignorance and outright lies of mainstream media regarding what is truly happening in Bahrain - lies concocted in large part by Qorvis, which is more than happy to defend such crimes and even to libel those of Bahrain's activists who try bring them to the world's attention at risk to their own lives.

Now, a grand spectacle has come to Bahrain - the F1 Bahrain Grand Prix has begun and we have decided to add to that spectacle.

As in the past, we have DDOSed websites of the Bahrain government. And as the media has already reported, we have DDOSed or defaced a number of sites associated with F1, which has gone ahead with its event in a country that has been the subject of a brutal government for over a year. On top of it all, we have decided to contribute some additional excitement to the day by hacking F1's servers and taking the personal information of those attending the race, among other things.

As of 22/4/2012 Abdulhadi Alkhawaja has entered Day 74 of his hunger strike in protest of the human rights abuses of the government of Bahrain, mistreatment and torture of prisoners and to call for the release of all political prisoners. This marks the longest anyone has been recorded on hunger strike and doctors expect him to die at any moment. We call on the government of Bahrain to immediately grant him freedom and to do the humanitarian thing in sparing his life. Abdulhadi Alkhawaja is a human rights worker who has committed no crime and has been unjustly granted life in prison by a military court for his activism. When Alkhawaja was arrested he was beaten unconscious, had his jaw broken and was tortured. Nobody deserves this mistreatment and it is a tragedy that the Al Khalifa regime is still treating his life with such disdain. Should anything bad happen to Alkhawaja or his family Anonymous will respond with fury and rage the likes of which have never been seen.

How dare the government of Bahrain hide behind an international sporting event as an attempt to conceal the oppression it is committing against its own people. How dare King Al Khalifa claim that the hundreds of thousands of demonstrators who march in the streets for freedom, democracy and non-sectarianism are "just a few troublemakers." How dare they waste the

people's money to hire public relations firms to lie on their behalf about the crimes they're committing. How dare the Formula1 organization allow the royal family to profit millions of dollars off of holding an event there, money which in turn is being used to purchase tear gas and live ammunition which has been used against civilians while Formula1 is being held. How dare Bernie Ecclestone and the Formula1 organization condone such horrific violations of human rights in the name of profit. As a response for your callus disregard for human life we, Anonymous, are taking the liberty of educating you, your fans, and the world about the crisis in Bahrain and giving you a cyber taste of your own medicine.

We will take down your websites, turn them into worthless entities on the World Wide Web and leave nothing but a smoking crater in cyberspace. Your phone lines, your e-mails, your fax machines and anything else we can get our hands on will be considered fair game. Good luck generating ad revenues with your servers down! You do not deserve to profit a single penny off the misery you have contributed to

To the fans of F1: You have every right to watch and enjoy your sport, but you have the responsibility to consider the ramifications of your support of this event. Please do the right thing and join the people of Bahrain in solidarity by boycotting this event. Do not watch it on television, do not visit F1 websites. Show that you do not condone racing on the blood of the innocent. Turn your eyes away from this abominable race for this one weekend to send a clear message that the fans of F1 value the rights of people more than the sick negligence of humanity.

To the drivers and teams in this race: There is nothing to stop you from taking your spot on the track. But you have another option as well. Join former F1 champions in condemning this atrocity and stand up against tyranny. You will be recorded by history as having either done the right thing, or as having participated in a spectacle calculated to distract from the dictatorship. The choice is yours. Please make the right one.

To the media and press: While it's nice that you're reporting on our work please remember that the focus should be on the people of Bahrain. They are the ones being tear gassed. They are the ones staring down the barrels of live shotguns. They are the ones whose human rights are being denied. They are the ones who cannot seek medical care for fear of retribution by their government. This is their struggle. Please focus your attention on them and let the world know the truth about their plight.

To the people of the world: Join us. Help in the fight for justice in Bahrain. Join Anonymous in sending faxes, writing letters, and calling on your governments to encourage the government of Bahrain to cease its assault on the human rights of its people.

To the people of Bahrain, rest assured that the people of the world support your struggle. Remain peaceful. Remain vigilant. Remain strong. Your strength, courage and determination are an inspiration to people across the globe. Your fight is difficult but the taste of true self-determination will be worth your struggle.

They they've posted Operation Bahrain data dump of F1 spectators and ticket sales. :snigger:

It's all here.
Click The Link...http://f1-racers.net/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:13 pm 
General
General

Bahrain grand prix protests - live updates

• Race to go ahead despite death of protester
• 'Government refusing to release protester's body' - activists
• Black smoke over Budaiya ahead of race

Click The Link...http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/22/bahrain-grand-prix-protests-live

Source: Guardian

Sounds like it's all kicking off, and there's been yet another killing. :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:38 pm 
General
General

MANAMA, Bahrain (AP) — Witnesses say security forces in Bahrain are setting up checkpoints and bringing armored vehicles into anti-government strongholds to confront possible protests coinciding with the Gulf nation's Formula One Grand Prix.

The beefed-up security moved into place shortly before the start of Sunday's race. Tensions rose the day before because of the discovery of a body of a man who the opposition claims was killed by security forces.

Last year's race was cancelled because of the uprising by the kingdom's Shiite majority, which is seeking to break the ruling Sunni dynasty's hold on power.

Opposition groups have sharply criticized the return of the race to Bahrain.

At least 50 people have been killed since the unrest began in February 2011.

Source: AP via usanews.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:44 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
conscience wrote:

Not really an own goal, taking it down for 10 seconds put it firmly in the news. DDoS attacks don't really do any damage, they just end up basically causing it to reboot, disrupting the service. Big companies like F1 (you'd assume) would have backups and spare servers that take over in the event of failure etc. anyway...

But that actually wasn't the point, it was a PR stunt. And the PR was first rate, it got widely covered and that was the point.

And you can hardly claim F1 has helped the protesters? :doh: They're in bed with the people who are slaughtering them! So it's nice to see Bernie Ecclestone and Co. rightly getting slammed for this. Just how cold would you have to be to even consider taking any sport to a place where things like that are going on?! Money > People for greedy types like them, it's a disgrace and I hope everybody followed the call to boycott the race in support of the protesters... but I wonder how many did? :|

I didn't say F1 has helped the protesters, don't go all journo on me and misquote.

I said it's given them a lot more publicity, which it has.

I'd have never clicked that link if it wasn't linked by Anonymous, so thanks to them the F1 website got my attention, probably the same for millions of other people. Oops.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:04 pm 
General
General

Reedo wrote:
I didn't say F1 has helped the protesters, don't go all journo on me and misquote.

I said it's given them a lot more publicity, which it has.

I'd have never clicked that link if it wasn't linked by Anonymous, so thanks to them the F1 website got my attention, probably the same for millions of other people. Oops.

I wasn't having a go at you mate, just saying in general that F1 being the cause of you knowing about it isn't by design or their good will... it's because they've joined forces with some very bad people. But I'd agree all PR is good PR as the more awareness there is the more chance there is of somebody doing something about it and stopping it.

The F1 website was always gunna be more popular today than usual, it's probably getting swamped by people repeatedly refreshing the page to see if it's been hacked or not. :lol: I doubt there were (m)any F1 fans who saw the website for the first time just now because of this either, I'd have thought they already knew about it, nearly everyone in sport/business has a website these days so it's no secret. There's no oops involved either, the more people go there the more chance there is of it all crashing if/when it can't cope with the increase in demand... a DDoS attack will do nothing but pump loads of extra traffic their way - it'll be a new record high for them.

But I'm not so sure that any PR is good PR for F1 under the circumstances.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

F1 is probably as strong as the product has ever been before Con. I had my Nan message me about the Grand Prix today she's never done that before in her life. They've signed a deal with Sky. Still have a deal in place with the BBC. It's shaping up to be the best racing season ever with 4 different winners in 4 races. 5 teams with the chances of winning races.

I don't think they've done too bad for PR at all in all honesty.

Annonymous are beginning to take a lot of flak for their mentality at the moment. (Not from me at the moment but definitely from forums around)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:00 am 
General
General

idontfeardeath wrote:
F1 is probably as strong as the product has ever been before Con. I had my Nan message me about the Grand Prix today she's never done that before in her life. They've signed a deal with Sky. Still have a deal in place with the BBC. It's shaping up to be the best racing season ever with 4 different winners in 4 races. 5 teams with the chances of winning races.

I don't think they've done too bad for PR at all in all honesty.

Annonymous are beginning to take a lot of flak for their mentality at the moment. (Not from me at the moment but definitely from forums around)

Yeah but don't forget Vodafone couldn't wait to exit their sponsorship deal with United over some public badwill, so it could well have a knock-on effect with some of F1's more family orientated, dependant on the clean image type sponsors. Not that I think anyone on the board of F1 or the majority of corporate boardrooms will give much of a crap tbh, but if sponsors think the public care enough they could lose a fortune... assuming they just don't sign an even bigger deal with someone else that is. :rolleyes:

In any case, bad PR can cost you lots of cash as well as goodwill. Just ask Tiger Woods. And imo nobody is going to become an F1 fan over this out of sheer compassion because F1 are seen - for rightly or wrongly - to have betrayed the people over there who are suffering and dying every day simply because this new poster boy of Formula One happens to be having a ball kidnapping his own people for as little as advocating human rights, torturing them, killing them, etc.

Fair point about your Nan... how far it must have come. It almost sounds exciting to a non-fan like me. They should let me design a few more dangerous and interesting courses then it would be worth watching. :D Disclaimer: I've not watched F1 in many years, and it was very dull back when Nigel Mansell was driving imo. Just not my thang really, always felt the courses were too short a lap and too bland... maybe some ramps, some raised sides like NASCAR (is it?)... maybe some monster wheels... and five mile long laps with proper features not just hitting the brakes on the many corners to keep you entertained.

As for Anonymous, it depends which bit of hacktivism you're talking about, 'cause there's no guarantee it's even the same people behind it from protest to protest or even on different days. You might disagree with a single, some or even all of their activities - but you can't really blame any single person/group for them all. There's a few gung-ho anons but mostly their actions are carefully considered and thoughtfully executed to the cheers of the watching public. Only when it touched a personal nerve (EG PS3 fans sulking that PSN was offline) have I really seen any criticism, but sometimes the complaints weren't coming from any kind of informed point of view of why the targets were targets in the first place. But nobody's perfect, and you can't please all of the people all of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:57 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

This is only relevant if the media keep the pressure on to F1 for the next race and the one after that and the one after that otherwise it'll just slip back down the pages like all the other news stories that were flavour of the month a few weeks ago.

I expect F1 will drop Bahrain from the calender next season and put up a brick wall to the press and stop answering questions on it as the sport operates in it's little bubble and will protect each others interests I don't expect anyone to break rank and comment on it further.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next