The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A short film
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:15 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

A guy whose gaming podcast I watch / listen to made a little short film called Cartridge. Thought some of you might like it. Only about 10 mins. Though he's thinking it might not stay up long, due to the music rights.. I liked it though, some nice little moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv2X2ra_3CA

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: A short film
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:10 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
He has no idea how to look after those controllers. Those wires will be snapping being wound up so tight. :doh:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:20 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

:lol: I did think that actually, ruined my mega drive controllers doing that.

Still, some things there I liked. Buying the big telly and trying the old console on it. I liked the comparison of the red lights death and having to send it to Microsoft as opposed to blowing on the cartridge :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:03 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
borocooper wrote:
:lol: I did think that actually, ruined my mega drive controllers doing that.

Still, some things there I liked. Buying the big telly and trying the old console on it. I liked the comparison of the red lights death and having to send it to Microsoft as opposed to blowing on the cartridge :lol:

I think it shows the much higher quality of the old consoles as well as the great gameplay in some of those old games that they could so easily be picked up and played and still enjoyed all those years later, in a way that I'm not sure the likes of Call of Duty & Co. ever will.

With many 'AAA' modern games and their prequels, the only 'wow factor' they had tended to be new hardware advances at the time preceding their release date, which were mainly visual, which easily date and look old. But that wasn't a problem with actually good games where gameplay mattered most, so games like Donkey Kong and Super Mario, in comparison, remain just as fun as the day they came out... and even more appreciated in many ways. As kids we always thought games would just get better and better but something went wrong.

Which is precisely why a lot of the geeks I know haven't bought a AAA title in years and prefer retro gaming with MAME and the other emulators.

Blowing on a cartridge beats terminal hardware failure any day, though you were supposed to wipe them to avoid scratching that blowing on it could cause. :geek:

Extra points for using it to get the sprogs into gaming. :fonz: