Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SimCity 2013 owners get free game
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:06 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Pretty sure that even download retailers can sell out as they only have a finite number of serial keys to sell.

Most retailers wont actually take the money for pre-orders until the product ships anyway, so it's not like you pay up the value of the game 3 months before getting it,

I would be thinking that it's because EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, etc are kicking big piles of cash as journalists. Therefore they get the banner ads, the headline stories, the great review scores. Journalistic integrity is pretty much dead these days. There are some games that get attention despite not being from those guys, the Witcher 2 got a lot of press, and there's a lot of hype for the third game as well, generally though if you don't get your game published by one of the big boys then nobody will ever hear of it.

Kickstarter is an interesting concept, pay for the games that you actually want to be made. Hopefully that'll start to turn the industry around a bit, and see more new IPs rather than franchises getting re-hashed every year. We shall have to see.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:29 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Spawny wrote:
Pretty sure that even download retailers can sell out as they only have a finite number of serial keys to sell.

Most retailers wont actually take the money for pre-orders until the product ships anyway, so it's not like you pay up the value of the game 3 months before getting it,

I would be thinking that it's because EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, etc are kicking big piles of cash as journalists. Therefore they get the banner ads, the headline stories, the great review scores. Journalistic integrity is pretty much dead these days. There are some games that get attention despite not being from those guys, the Witcher 2 got a lot of press, and there's a lot of hype for the third game as well, generally though if you don't get your game published by one of the big boys then nobody will ever hear of it.

Kickstarter is an interesting concept, pay for the games that you actually want to be made. Hopefully that'll start to turn the industry around a bit, and see more new IPs rather than franchises getting re-hashed every year. We shall have to see.

Do they? I never thought retailers would have a limited number of license keys to sell, they're just an automatically generated number so it's not like they can run out of stock. :shrug: The downloadable retailers' servers will have physical limits but extra capacity/bandwidth can easily be bought/rented on demand ahead of any big releases. Any retail shortages are usually meticulously planned that way by the ad men in any case, as they try to drum up some free PR and make it look like that x product is massively in demand and a hit when it's actually not. But I don't know anyone who actually falls for it....

Exactly, which is another reason to hold off until after it's official release imho. Each to their own though, as always. It's not whether you pay 1 year or on the day of release, it's the fact that once it officially ships you will be charged. I always have to laugh when I see the latest broken game/DRM etc. scandal 'cause I haven't bought a game from EA or Ubisoft and that sort for years so I get none of that crap to deal with.

Not sure I agree with you about needing a big publisher in order to get your game out there. Places like Steam, Xbox Live, Google Play, etc. as well as dedicated indie places all carry independent stuff these days so developers can get their game out... or they can do it themselves. The big advertising budget might be lacking, but if it's good enough then I think word of mouth would spread the news. Minecraft did OK without a big publisher.

Agree about Kickstarter, but it's probably easier for 'name' developers to raise cash, not so sure it's so easy for new/unheard of/ developers with no successful track record.

I'd certainly like it to revolutionise the industry. But places like Kickstarter can only revolutionise the industry IF gamers vote with their wallets and not continue to pre-order buggy games with a very limited lifespan from the big corporate publishers.

But imho you can't just complain and keep buying their flawed software, YOU personally (aimed at all gamers who don't like the situation btw, not just you) have to do something about it if you want it to change. Youngsters today :oap: have been brainwashed into thinking that's how the industry is... when that's just how they like it to be with shrink-wrapped software you're not allowed see running before you hand over your cash. How many rubbish games have you got that are not fun, not playable, no reply value, too short, etc.? Demand a return to trying the latest software out in your local computer shop or via a downloadable demo that actually let's you play the game before deciding whether or not to buy a game. THIS is exactly why we see sooo many sequels, 'cause of the pre-orders from fans of the first game!

Besides, if the masses stopped buying the latest and greatest 'AAA' sequel from the big companies then they'd soon notice and start making whatever was selling.

That's why I'll only buy DRM free games from companies that want me to be able to enjoy the game as they intended without layers of dodgy DRM, server authentication, limited installs etc. that tend to come out of the big boys.

But I digress. :p

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:13 pm 
Major General
Major General

conscience wrote:
Do they? I never thought retailers would have a limited number of license keys to sell, they're just an automatically generated number so it's not like they can run out of stock. :shrug: The downloadable retailers' servers will have physical limits but extra capacity/bandwidth can easily be bought/rented on demand ahead of any big releases. Any retail shortages are usually meticulously planned that way by the ad men in any case, as they try to drum up some free PR and make it look like that x product is massively in demand and a hit when it's actually not. But I don't know anyone who actually falls for it....

Exactly, which is another reason to hold off until after it's official release imho. Each to their own though, as always. It's not whether you pay 1 year or on the day of release, it's the fact that once it officially ships you will be charged. I always have to laugh when I see the latest broken game/DRM etc. scandal 'cause I haven't bought a game from EA or Ubisoft and that sort for years so I get none of that crap to deal with.

Not sure I agree with you about needing a big publisher in order to get your game out there. Places like Steam, Xbox Live, Google Play, etc. as well as dedicated indie places all carry independent stuff these days so developers can get their game out... or they can do it themselves. The big advertising budget might be lacking, but if it's good enough then I think word of mouth would spread the news. Minecraft did OK without a big publisher.

Agree about Kickstarter, but it's probably easier for 'name' developers to raise cash, not so sure it's so easy for new/unheard of/ developers with no successful track record.

I'd certainly like it to revolutionise the industry. But places like Kickstarter can only revolutionise the industry IF gamers vote with their wallets and not continue to pre-order buggy games with a very limited lifespan from the big corporate publishers.

But imho you can't just complain and keep buying their flawed software, YOU personally (aimed at all gamers who don't like the situation btw, not just you) have to do something about it if you want it to change. Youngsters today :oap: have been brainwashed into thinking that's how the industry is... when that's just how they like it to be with shrink-wrapped software you're not allowed see running before you hand over your cash. How many rubbish games have you got that are not fun, not playable, no reply value, too short, etc.? Demand a return to trying the latest software out in your local computer shop or via a downloadable demo that actually let's you play the game before deciding whether or not to buy a game. THIS is exactly why we see sooo many sequels, 'cause of the pre-orders from fans of the first game!

Besides, if the masses stopped buying the latest and greatest 'AAA' sequel from the big companies then they'd soon notice and start making whatever was selling.

That's why I'll only buy DRM free games from companies that want me to be able to enjoy the game as they intended without layers of dodgy DRM, server authentication, limited installs etc. that tend to come out of the big boys.

But I digress. :p

It's certainly happened in the past, yes. If you go on Steam or Origin after a big title has just launched then quite often it will be "sold out" even though it's a download that just needs a license key.

Steam still pushes the so-called AAA titles. Sure there are plenty of others on there, but how much attention they get is another story. Getting a game out there is one thing, getting people to know it's there is another ball game. In cases like MineCraft it's worked, but for every one that works there are probably hundreds that fly under the radar.

I think the thing with Kickstarter is that it's not always going to see original IPs, but sequels (either direct or spiritual) to games that never got one. Those are the ones that are going to appeal to people. Either that or game ideas from people who've had great games in the past. If Sid Meier or someone like that ever wanted to get a game on Kickstarter I'm sure he'd get loads of cash, whatever the idea was.

I actually have very few games that aren't fun, and a lot of games do get demos. Anything I'm not sure about I rent first, and if it blows me away I'll try and pick it up in a sale. Now in the past, when I was young, single, and buying at least 1 new title a week I had loads of rubbish games, now I just can't afford it :lol:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:36 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
That's insane, and if that isn't an artificial limitation trying to engineer this you'd better be quick and buy now mindset then I dunno what is. :rolleyes:

You can bet they soon had more 'stock' to sell.

Anyone with a net connection can find the indie games if they want to. But there's no helping some folk if they have to rely on adverts and fake reviews from the goody-bagged journalists online at some of the more prominent 'review'/adverts for content sites. It's a conscious decision that needs to be made to avoid like the plague anything that looks substandard or inflicts unreasonable limits on the gamer.

For the same reasons as a name dev might find it easier, so would a sequel I suppose. And while there's nothing wrong with sequel's per se if they have something to add or improve, I think people are a little sick of sequels that add nothing or actually make the core game worse. At least at Kickstarter, you can literally vote with your wallet and decide for yourself what gets published and what doesn't. And what better way to get a dev to listen to their audience, by having them directly fund it?

The important thing imo is to support other publishers and other developers outside the reach and influence of the badly behaved corporates as there's no other way to get the gaming industry to change for the better then to support those devs/companies who do the right thing.

Poor Spawny, on the plus side I bet you're saving a fortune. The flip side is that you won't get to spend on you lol. Such is the life of a parent. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:41 pm 
Major General
Major General

conscience wrote:
That's insane, and if that isn't an artificial limitation trying to engineer this you'd better be quick and buy now mindset then I dunno what is. :rolleyes:

You can bet they soon had more 'stock' to sell.

Anyone with a net connection can find the indie games if they want to. But there's no helping some folk if they have to rely on adverts and fake reviews from the goody-bagged journalists online at some of the more prominent 'review'/adverts for content sites. It's a conscious decision that needs to be made to avoid like the plague anything that looks substandard or inflicts unreasonable limits on the gamer.

For the same reasons as a name dev might find it easier, so would a sequel I suppose. And while there's nothing wrong with sequel's per se if they have something to add or improve, I think people are a little sick of sequels that add nothing or actually make the core game worse. At least at Kickstarter, you can literally vote with your wallet and decide for yourself what gets published and what doesn't. And what better way to get a dev to listen to their audience, by having them directly fund it?

The important thing imo is to support other publishers and other developers outside the reach and influence of the badly behaved corporates as there's no other way to get the gaming industry to change for the better then to support those devs/companies who do the right thing.

Poor Spawny, on the plus side I bet you're saving a fortune. The flip side is that you won't get to spend on you lol. Such is the life of a parent. :D

Oh I don't doubt it, just pointing out that buying from Steam etc isn't always as easy as it should be. That's before you even go through the whole downloading and installing saga.

A lot of games deserve a second chance, either by a re-make or sequel. Take Alpha Protocol for example, the premise (espionage RPG) was sound, and I actually really enjoyed the game (though was in a minority). The implementation wasn't great, but I bet there are a lot of people who'd like to see a sequel to really see what the game could've been if it had been done right. I think the things people get sick of is sequel after sequel of the same thing, with only minor changes.

Yeah... that fills me with untold amounts of joy... :rolleyes: