Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sleeping Dogs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:53 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Has anyone else played this? Cracking game in the GTA mold, but instead of gun play it's predominantly martial arts combat, with guns only featuring occasionally.

Well worth a go for anyone who's into the sandbox type game.

Last night while playing I killed about 15 random civilians because the car I'd been driving that had some woman in the boot had disappeared when I did a mission to chuck a drunk guy out of a shop :lol:

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Sleeping Dogs
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:35 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Just started playing this..played about an hour, barely did a mission, just went round nicking bikes and cars and battering people willy nilly. Tremendous fun. I love the jumping from vehicle to vehicle feature as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:51 am 
Major General
Major General

borocooper wrote:
Just started playing this..played about an hour, barely did a mission, just went round nicking bikes and cars and battering people willy nilly. Tremendous fun. I love the jumping from vehicle to vehicle feature as well.

The car jumping is brilliant :thumbup:

I didn't find the lack of weapons took anything away from the game either, dunno what you've felt about it so far?

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:32 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Can't say it's bothered me much yet, though I did nick one from a cop just so I could go round and shoot some people.... Just to see how fun it was. I do enjoy running up to someone and roundhouse kicking them in the face.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:30 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Haven't really heard about this but might give it a go after reading your two's comments.

@BC: The limited edition has special GSP content such as unlocking his superman punch :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:14 am 
Major General
Major General

It's a good game mate, cross between GTA and Arkham Asylum really, if you like those 2 you'll like it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:16 pm 
Major General
Major General

Didn't like Batman but I've ordered it anyway. Had to get the limited edition so I can run around looking like GSP superman punching people :fonz:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:37 pm 
Major General
Major General

What didn't you like about Batman?

One of my favourite tactics to start killing off a group in Sleeping Dogs is to ride towards them on a motorbike at full speed, then jump off and watch it go straight through the crowd :fonz:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:55 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Spawny wrote:

In a word - underwhelming. Gave the demo (admittedly) all of about two or three minutes, and from what I remember found nothing intuitive, and also found it a bit boring. All inside a couple of minutes.

Was like Oblivion all over again. :rolleyes:

What did you like about it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:24 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Great atmosphere, great voice work, great combat mechanics, good graphics, good story. Good mix of stealth, puzzles and action.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:11 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
borocooper wrote:
Great atmosphere, great voice work, great combat mechanics, good graphics, good story. Good mix of stealth, puzzles and action.

What category would you put it in then?

Don't think I made it much further than up the first ramp before I turned it off, so a bit hard to spot all that from the limited time I spent on it. Looked more like one of those free-to-play fighting MMO games that Steam is so fond of tbh, EG Champions Online - which I thought was sh1te. Definitely didn't get any GTA vibe.

Don't think I got as far as any great combat mechanics either... just thought it was boring. Will keep an open mind on Sleeping Dogs though.

S'interesting to note your plus points include things like voice acting, atmosphere and story, even graphics, I never felt they mattered at all. I played a hundred games where x baddie had stolen your girlfriend or the universe needed saving from aliens again and it didn't seem to matter so long as the gameplay was fun and didn't get old too quickly... But I digress. :p

Thank God for indie gaming and titles like From Dust.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:32 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I generally don't care too much about the graphics or atmosphere. But when playing a game based on a comic book character whose normal arena is either on paper or on tv/film you already have a hope or expectation of what you want that universe to be like when you play in it, and i just think they nailed it. It was a bit dark and creepy and... Batman-y. At least it's the batman of recent years anyway rather than that Adam West batman era style.

Not sure what genre it fits into.. What would you put Tomb Raider as?

Batman is a third person Action / stealth/beat em up /adventure... I guess?

I still love a simple indie game though. Like And yet it moves or Limbo.. Or Braid.

Not saying you must like batman or anything, I'm sure people find it boring cos it just isn't there style.

But some people don't like monkey island. F*ck those guys. :p

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:50 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
I find getting games I like really difficult, I have loads of unfinished games I can't be bothered with, Fallout, Max Payne 3, struggling to find the enthusiasm to finish Unchareted 3 etc.

Games I have really enjoyed, Red Dead, Uncharted 2, COD, Infamous. I loved the first Tomb Raider when it came out, and Toejam and Earl was a great 2 player game

I can't wait for Tomb Raider, I'm going to pre order it.

But Batman was close to Red Dead in being one of the best games I've ever played. I wasn't keen on it at all really but bought it on recommendation from someone on here.

There is so much to it, it looks great, has a great story, great puzzles and it's not ultra difficult. I hate those games where there are baddies that are just too difficult to kill and take a whole night.

The puzzles in this game are great, along with the training and unlocking moves etc. And there are loads of elements to it, you can come and go with the story. I didn't really enjoy the Catwoman bits very much but that is a small element, although she is fast with the punching and kicking.

Sleeping Dogs, sounds interesting. I like Batman, but not keen on GTA. I liked the first GTA's but again there comes a point in those games where the missions are just too hard. I stopped playing those years back where one of the levels involved flying a toy plane while trying to bomb a speed boat. My controller got the distance test.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:51 am 
Major General
Major General

Ask Serb a question... get an answer from Con... :blink: :lol:

BC has already answered the question pretty well, but I'll add one thing... it made me feel like Batman!!

For the goons who were unarmed you could jump into the fray and feel like a genuine bada$$, for the armed ones though you have to plan your approach because one bullet could be the end of you. So you stick to the shadows, pick them off one by one, watch on as they start to panic when they realise their mate is missing...

:buzzin:

Also when I mentioned GTA I was talking about Sleeping Dogs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:55 am 
Major General
Major General

Mr Carrot wrote:
I find getting games I like really difficult, I have loads of unfinished games I can't be bothered with, Fallout, Max Payne 3, struggling to find the enthusiasm to finish Unchareted 3 etc.

Sleeping Dogs, sounds interesting. I like Batman, but not keen on GTA. I liked the first GTA's but again there comes a point in those games where the missions are just too hard. I stopped playing those years back where one of the levels involved flying a toy plane while trying to bomb a speed boat. My controller got the distance test.

I'm the same TBH Mr C. There are certain games that I come back to and play time and again, but my list of unfinished games is huge!! Really good games too, I have enjoyed but not finished Skyrim; Saints Row the Third, Batman: Arkham City (yet finished Asylum about 4 times), Far Cry 3... and I'll go back and play my billionth game of FIFA, or go for yet another play through of Mass Effect 3 :shrug:

I didn't find Sleeping Dogs to get to that level of difficulty. There were a couple of missions that I had to try twice, think one took three attempts, but generally the action gets manic without being totally overwhelming. I don't recall that particular mission from GTA, but I do remember one of them having remote controlled planes, possible Vice City?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:01 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I do believe that "toy plane" mission is an infamous game ruiner for a lot of people. I'm pretty sure I got as far as that and gave up too...and I know I've read other people saying similar on game review websites.

It came up again with the recent iOS/Android release of Vice City, as the touch screen controls made it even more difficult to control the plane.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:28 am 
Major General
Major General

I didn't get much past capturing the mansion on Vice City... another game I gave up on :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:30 am 
Major General
Major General

Spawny wrote:

Missed this ( :p ), just...dunno, thought it was rubbish. Was the full game as well, (my brother had it) not just the demo.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:42 am 
Major General
Major General

Serbinator wrote:
Spawny wrote:

Missed this ( :p ), just...dunno, thought it was rubbish. Was the full game as well, (my brother had it) not just the demo.

Fair enough. My bro didn't like it either... :shrug:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:45 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Maybe it helped I went in thinking it would be crap

Mass effect (1 or 2) another one I didn't finish.