AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pep Talk
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
After Chelsea had won the league last season, José Mourinho made a not especially veiled dig at Pep Guardiola. “Maybe,” he said, “I will go to a country where a kitman can be coach and win the title.” Maybe if he had, the fiasco of this season at Stamford Bridge would not have happened.

The jibe was unfair in a number of ways but it carried enough truth to sting. At Bayern Munich, Guardiola took over a club that had just won the treble. Inevitably, in terms of trophies won, the trajectory has been downward: two Bundesliga titles have followed and there will surely be a third this year but in each of the past two seasons Bayern have gone out of the Champions League in the semi-finals.

In terms of the football played, though, Guardiola’s reign has been a triumph. Bayern stand in the avant-garde of football’s tactical evolution. Their formation shifts from game to game, even within games. So unpredictabe is Guardiola the team sheet offers only a hint of how they may play. At Bayern, he seems to have become more flexible than he was at Barcelona, integrating an orthodox centre-forward in Robert Lewandowski. Pressing and possession are still fundamental to his conception of the game but there is a greater willingness to go direct, a more varied approach.

No other manager is so responsive to the game. To watch Guardiola during a match is to see a man engaged in a frenetic game of three-dimensional chess, always standing on the edge of his technical area, barking instructions, always seeking an advantage. When Bayern beat Arsenal 2-0 at the Emirates two seasons ago he reacted to the first-half substitution of Kieran Gibbs by overloading the right, correctly reasoning Nacho Monreal would take a few minutes to settle. The result, within five minutes, was the move that led to a red card for Wojciech Szczesny.

But is the thrillingly intelligent football enough? Given that Bayern’s financial might has come to make it feel as though Bundesliga titles come as part of a package, those who are not convinced by Guardiola have used that against him, suggesting he has effectively only played to par. Five league titles in six completed seasons as a manager is hard to criticise but he has always done it with favourites.

If, as seems likely, he comes to the Premier League and succeeds, Guardiola will at least free himself from the kitman jibe. Whatever the failings of the Premier League, it cannot be denied that it is competitive. Whichever club he takes over – Manchester City looks the most probable destination – will not enjoy the sort of domination Barça and Bayern do. It will not be a case of two or four games against peers but of eight or 10.

And, while the cliche the Premier League is the only major league where the bottom can beat the top may grate, there is some truth to it: Louis van Gaal is not a man given to platitudes, so his assertion the Premier League is a “rat race” unlike any he has known can be taken at face value. There is a constant attrition that takes a toll – and perhaps partly explains the recent underperformance of Premier League clubs in Europe – and it is Guardiola’s capacity to deal with that grind that would define him were he to come to England.

Although there have been some memorable victories – Barcelona’s two Champions League final wins against Manchester United and Bayern’s 5-1 win over Arsenal this season, for instance – Guardiola’s record against English sides is not brilliant: 18 games have produced eight wins and five defeats. It may be that that statistic is slightly freakish – two of the defeats have come in dead rubbers, two of the draws led to an away-goals victory and one to a penalty shootout win – but equally it may be the instinctive intensity of the English game mitigates against the intensity Guardiola brings.

Given he has shown in Germany his capacity to adapt, given his football is about constant evolution, that should not be too much of an issue, but what is a concern is how sustainable the Guardiola philosophy is in a country with a 20-team league and two domestic cup competitions, in which there is a physicality and a level of consistent competitiveness he has not faced.

Could players maintain the physical and mental level required over perhaps 50 intense games? Would Guardiola, with the routine of two games most weeks, be able to undertake the levels of preparation he clearly does now? Given the ferocity of his focus, would he be able to bear up to the strain?

If Guardiola does end up at City, there will be a sense of him going into a job that is made for him, with two former Barcelona officials in key positions and a burgeoning academy. But it would be a new test of his managerial style, and would remove any lingering doubt about his own genius. If a manager can thrive in Spain, Germany and England, there would be no questions left to answer.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Pep Guardiola says he is leaving Bayern Munich to manage in England.

The former Barcelona boss recently announced he would not extend his contract in Germany when it expires at the end of this season.

Guardiola, 44, has been linked with Premier League clubs Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal.

"I want to experience a new city and I want to work in England," he said. "I have several offers from England but I haven't signed anything yet."

He added: "I have an opportunity to work in England. I think I'm at the right age and I feel it is the right move for me. That is the reason I have taken this decision."

Munich chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge had suggested Guardiola had already decided which club he would be joining next season, but at a news conference on Tuesday, the Spaniard said: "I haven't decided on a new club yet."

Former Real Madrid and Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti, 56, is taking over at the Bundesliga league leaders, with Guardiola describing the Italian as a "perfect choice".

I think he's just keeping it hush to me it sounds nailed on he's going to City.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:59 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
City tick pretty much every box. I'd be shocked if he didn't go there.

Only saving grace is he'll probably only be there for 4 years or so.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Utd has briefed the press that they're not in the race they're sticking to the LVG then Giggs plan but other than that it ticks most of the boxes although the squad still needs plenty of work in the summer and our club have shown in recent times we're not that good at getting players in.

Arsenal would be a perfect fit but will Wenger step aside? I don't think so unless he wins the league he like Fergie might see that as the right time to leave

Chelsea not sure he'd fancy having to deal with a volatile owner who can change his mind every few months plus squad needs a bit of work.

City familier faces at board level, incredibly talented squad, already have a style of play it just all looks ready made for him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:50 pm 
Major General
Major General

City is built for him .. Rich club .. Strong squad ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:38 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
I have a gut feeling his style wont be as successful in the prem.

He wont flop of course, but I don't think it will be a stroll in the park like Munich and Barca.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Carrot wrote:
I have a gut feeling his style wont be as successful in the prem.

He wont flop of course, but I don't think it will be a stroll in the park like Munich and Barca.

I think he'll find it harder as the team he manages won't be able to roll over half the teams in the league because the gap between the top and bottom teams isn't as big. However, if City spend big again in the summer and spend well there's no reason they couldn't open up that sort of gap again as I think his level of intensity will bring the standard up.

City routinely smash the poor teams at home what lets them down is they have spells where they almost think it's to easy and drop silly points because the players are playing half ar*ed. Under Pep I don't think he'll allow that to happen a trademark of both his sides is the incredible work rate they put in to all matches they might ease off when they get a few goals ahead at times but his teams get after everyone straight from the off.

The biggest thing for him will be dealing with the rotation required in this league due to the fixtures you don't have many weeks where you don't have midweek games and that means you have to rotate and you can't prepared for every game in the detail he maybe has been able to in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:55 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola, 44, will become Manchester City manager in the summer. (Sky Germany via Sky Sports)

Should Guardiola move to City, the club will look to reunite him with Barcelona forward Lionel Messi, 28. (Express)

Guardiola could yet move to Manchester United - if they act quickly. The Spaniard has
spoken to both Manchester clubs, turned down an offer from Chelsea and would also consider Arsenal. (Sun)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:43 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Pep Guardiola has been appointed the new manager at Manchester City for next season on a three-year deal.

The 45-year-old, currently in charge at Bayern Munich, will replace Manuel Pellegrini, who will leave on 30 June.

A statement from City said Chilean Pellegrini, 62, was "fully supportive" of the announcement being made.

The Premier League club also revealed that negotiations with Guardiola had been "a re-commencement of discussions that were curtailed in 2012".

At the time, Roberto Mancini was in charge and he led City to the domestic title in the same year.

Pellegrini replaced Mancini at the Etihad in 2013 and took them to a Premier League and League Cup double the following season.

He has won 64 of his 99 league games as a manager, a record that is only eclipsed by Jose Mourinho, who won 73 of his opening 99 league games as Chelsea manager.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:06 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
So where does this leave us?

Mourinho?

How do we think he'll do in the prem?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Dunno why not join in the chat on our manager thread

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sorry JSP! First chat I looked at when logging in.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:13 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

idontfeardeath wrote:
So where does this leave us?

Mourinho?

How do we think he'll do in the prem?

Although I love Mourinho, you'll see I have always supported him in old posts.

I am beginning to feel he may not be right, I always thought although he was an arse to the media, he always supported his players. But it would seem, from little bit and pieces, that this isn't the case. I wouldn't be disappointed if he came, but I don't think it's best.

I'd like Conte or Low, but they wont be available until late summer if at all. I also would like the spurs manager, but I don't we'll get him if they get CL.

I've decided to throw my support behind Giggs :)

As for Pep, I think he will struggle with the tempo of the prem, and the amount of games. I don't think he'll be a failure, but I don't think it will be a walk in the park. I feel a little for the current coach, he's not doing bad is he.

We have had some quality managers in the prem, Sir, Wenger, Jose, Carlo etc. Pep is not better than any of those.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:24 pm 
Major General
Major General

We shall see how he does .. How do u compare rate managers ?? SAF was genius .. Wenger Ancelotti ?? Not sure .. Guardiola has won 14 trophies in first 4 years as manager ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:48 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

pakrooney wrote:
We shall see how he does .. How do u compare rate managers ?? SAF was genius .. Wenger Ancelotti ?? Not sure .. Guardiola has won 14 trophies in first 4 years as manager ..

You may disagree, but it is easier for Barca and Munich to win trophies in their respective leagues than it is the Prem league. That Barca team had an immense talent pool, and lets be honest Munich isn't far behind, they won the trouble the year he arrived.

Enrique is rocking it at Barca with very little experience too. Even Rafa managed to keep Madrid in the top 2.

The speed and the competitive nature of the prem will not be something he'll be used to week in week out. Plus the amount of games.

No doubt Pep is a very very talented coach, but I don't think it will be as easy for him here.

I think he'll win trophies at city, but it wont be a stroll, he'll be tested.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It will be interesting. As for him winning 14 trophies in 4 years that simply isn't going to happen.

Firstly he took over a Barcelona side that had Henry Eto Messi Ronaldinho Yaya Toure Xavi Iniesta Puyol Abidal Dani Alves

Then he took over a Bayern Munich side that had Neuer Lahm Basitan Lewondowski Robben Ribery the team had the record points total in Germany they won the treble they had the best strike force they had the record best defence. His time and Munich can only be considered a failure. He's taken the treble winning side and not matched their success so he's taken them backwards.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Also the 14 trophies as a manager is a bit glorified. i make it 10 in his career

I don't count Fergies chatty shields super cups or world club cups.

Fergie broke the Glasgow manopoly on Scottish football. He came to United when we were in a dry period and knocked Liverpool of their perch. Gaurdiola took over two of the greatest teams in the land and is now taking over what many already make favourites for the title.

Last edited by idontfeardeath on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Hard to argue that this is the man of the here and now especially when it comes to managing the elite level clubs.

In his career as manager he's breathed new life in to a Barca team that lost it's way over 2 seasons (06-07 & 07-08) and created one of the greatest club sides of all time that won 2 European Cups in 3 seasons and that to this day is still dominating European Football 3-4 years after he left. He's walked the German league on 2 soon to be 3 occasions and so far has led them to 2 semi finals in the European Cup and you wouldn't bet against him making it 3 in a row this season. His biggest problem at Bayern has been come the business end of the season he's lost key players to injury Robben/Ribery where big misses when the big games came and in the semi finals it's those guys who make the difference.

I don't think it'll be a case of him walking in to City and instantly making them a European Super Power but you can't deny he will probaby improve them.

No one now will ever compare to Ferguson what he did over a 25 year span at Utd can't be compared to anyone else in the modern era the only one who you can compare is Wenger and lets face it that's not an argument that's even up for debate unless Wenger has a ridiculous winning spell over the next decade and in terms of trophies he wouldn't even get close.

As for his trophy haul I think you should only count Leagues, domestic cups, European Cups & World Club Cups when counting trophies. Things like community shields, super cups, UEFA super cups are nothing more than glorified friendlies.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:14 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

you cant lay injuries on the floor as get out clauses. United always had terrible injury problems. This year especially.

The manager needs to manage that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Carrot wrote:
you cant lay injuries on the floor as get out clauses. United always had terrible injury problems. This year especially.

The manager needs to manage that.

When it comes to European Cup semi finals/finals injuries do play a major part and I'm sure if you go back through Fergie's era there were times when we made the later rounds and went out because we didn't have key men fit. I remember Milan knocking us out one year when we tried playing Van Nistelrooy on about 1/2 leg, Bayern (under LVG) knocked us out when we lost Rooney to injury in the first leg he hobbled around for 45 minutes in the second leg but he wasn't fit. Think in 2007 we had a make shift back 4 for another game vs Milan and Kaka took us to the cleaners a manager is only as good as his players give Pep elite level players and he delivers incredible results.

Robben/Ribery are the Bayern equivalent to Messi/Neymar or Bale/Ronaldo or Cavani/Ibra or Silva/Aguero those 2 are the 2 big hitters who have made the difference in these big matches before as they are the creators and Bayern didn't have replacements until this season when they signed Costa & Koman as cover after Pep identified this as a major weakness in the squad.

I would argue that over 2 legs against the "super teams" or whatever name you want to get them unless you get a serious slice of luck going into the game without key players especially if the opposition is full strength 9 times out of 10 you go out no matter how clever your manager is. The 1 time out of 10 you get away with it seems to be Chelsea in 2012 when they somehow knocked out Barca over 2 legs then did Bayern in the final.

Pep likes a stable team one of his biggest challenges at City will be achieving that as key players like Kompany & Aguero often miss 4-5 weeks spells in a season

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next