Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pep Talk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Barcelona president Joan Laporta has shrugged off speculation linking coach Pep Guardiola with a move to Manchester United and insisted he is "convinced" the Spaniard will sign a new deal to stay at the Nou Camp.

Guardiola, who turned 39 on Monday, has been linked in reports with a move to Old Trafford as Sir Alex Ferguson's eventual replacement after making a phenomenally successful start to his coaching career with the Catalan giants.

Barcelona won six trophies under Guardiola last season, including a Champions League victory over United in Rome, and stretched their advantage over Real Madrid at the top of the Primera Division to five points with a 4-0 weekend win over Sevilla.

Guardiola's contract expires at the end of the current season which has led to growing concern that he may leave.

But Laporta is convinced the coach will turn his back on a possible future in the Premier League and continue to guide Barcelona to success.

Laporta said: "We cannot avoid the speculation as he is the best coach in the world and many clubs will be interested.

"We know that and Manchester United are just one club who I am sure are watching his future. But he has a long way to go with Barcelona.

"Because of his characteristics we expect him to continue to write the pages of history of this football club.

"We would like to solve this question mark over his future as soon as possible and we are convinced that he will sign but we must respect his decision to wait.

"We are convinced that he will sign a new contract and that he will sign soon but we cannot force him into a decision.

"We must be patient and wait.

"On Sunday we talked about his birthday. I sent him a card with my congratulations but we will see what happens."

Laporta also heaped more praise on Argentina striker Lionel Messi after the 22-year-old became the youngest player to score 100 goals for the club on Saturday night.

Messi scored twice inside the last five minutes of the 4-0 win over Sevilla to achieve the milestone in just his 188th appearance.

Laporta said: "Being Messi, I'm not surprised. It's incredible but he is a genius.

"With his winning sprit we expect it. He is the leading figure of FC Barcelona and the FIFA player of the year but he is a modest figure and he has not changed at all."

Barca moved five points clear after Real's unexpected defeat and they remain favourites to retain the La Liga trophy.

With a midfield comprising the talents of Spanish duo Xavi and Andres Iniesta, and a forward line of Messi, Thierry Henry and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Barca look in a formidable position but Laporta insists that nothing is settled yet.

He said: "It's not a big enough advantage for us to get excited.

"With five points you cannot think you have already won as it is less than two games advantage and it is possible for Real to overtake us.

"Of course we were delighted to be winter champions but we must continue to be alert, sharp and keep a winning mentality as Real will keep fighting until the very end."

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Barca Convinced Guardiola Will Stay
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

BARCELONA have shrugged off claims that coach Pep Guardiola will move to Manchester United.

The 39-year-old has been linked with a move to Old Trafford as Alex Ferguson's eventual successor.

Barcelona won six trophies under Guardiola last season, including a Champions League final victory over United in Rome.

But although his contract expires at the end of this season, Barca president Joan Laporta is convinced the coach will stay put.

Laporta said: "We cannot avoid the speculation as he is the best coach in the world and many clubs will be interested.

"Manchester United are just one club who I am sure are watching his future — but he has a long way to go with Barcelona.

"Because of his characteristics we expect him to continue to write the pages of history of this football club.

"We would like to solve this question mark over his future as soon as possible and we are convinced that he will sign but we must respect his decision to wait."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

BARCELONA, Spain (AP)—Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola on Wednesday agreed to a one-year contract extension that ties him to the European champions through 2011.

The announcement ended weeks of speculation over the 39-year-old’s future. His contract had been set to expire in June.

“It was an unanimous decision that Pep should continue as coach,” Barcelona club president, Joan Laporta, told a packed press conference.ADVERTISEMENT

The club said the deal would be signed by Guardiola and whoever wins the club’s presidential elections scheduled for this spring.

Guardiola led Barcelona to an unprecedented six major trophies in one year after replacing Frank Rijkaard at the start of the 2008-09 season, winning the Champions League, Spanish league, Copa del Rey, European and Spanish Supercups and the Club World Cup.

Guardiola said he liked to think his contract was being renewed not because of what he had won so far but for what he intended to achieve with the club in the future.

“Sooner or later I know I will have to stop being coach of FC Barcelona and I know that I’m not going to be better off anywhere else,” he said.

Laporta said the club aimed to keep Guardiola for many more seasons but Guardiola said he preferred to sign short-term contracts.

“I believe you should for sign for short periods in which, as coach, you have to win things, win the players, win the fans,” he said.

Although the agreement ties him to the club for the short-term, Guardiola’s long-term future will remain open to speculation with Manchester United reportedly considering the Santpedor-native to replace Alex Ferguson once the manager steps down.

Guardiola said he put off contract talks to stay motivated, but recent public clamor appeared to have helped progress the deal, with Laporta having initially given him until Easter to make a decision.

Guardiola became only the sixth man to win Europe’s top competition as a player (1992) and coach when Barcelona beat Ferguson’s Manchester United 2-0 in the Champions League final in Rome last May.

Led by a potent attack, spearheaded by world player of the year Lionel Messi and midfielders Xavi Hernandez and Andres Iniesta, Guardiola’s success has been marked by trademark flair and bravado.

Barcelona won last year’s league title with a record points haul and added a record 25th Copa del Rey title after two seasons without silverware. It also scored a record 6-2 victory over arch rival Real Madrid at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium.

Guardiola was a former key player for Barcelona under Dutch coach Johan Cruyff in the 1990s, and also played for Brescia and AS Roma in Italy before retiring in 2006.

He made 386 appearances for Barcelona as a skillful defensive midfielder and went on to become team captain. He won the Spanish league title six times, the Copa del Rey twice, and the European Cup Winners’ Cup in 11 years in the team. He also played 47 times for Spain.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:17 pm 
Major General
Major General

was in never in doubt

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

pakrooney wrote:
was in never in doubt

just the one more year.....suggests to me that it was in doubt and Guardiola has spoken to United and is keeping his options open

<someone get me odds on SAF retiring 05/11>

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:27 pm 
Major General
Major General

Are u SUN .NOW .. :lol: ..We will see i dont think Fergie will retire

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:34 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

pakrooney wrote:

I'd be really suprised if he stays into 2012, He'll be in his 70's

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

pakrooney wrote:

ever????

Fergie learned not to broadcast his retirement, after the balls up he made of it last time.... so, i think it'll be a sudden announcement..... & i'm sure he'll like to go on as long as possible.... but IF he has identified AND SPOKEN TO the person, he feels is best suited to replace him, i think he would move aside at their convenience..... for me, if I was Laporta, i would want Guardiola tied down long term.... the fact he isn't, given they are talking deals, says to me.... someone is unsure

now bearing in mind SAF may have 1, 2, 3 or maybe 4 years.... he knows, if he can get his man, he may need to walk away quickly

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:38 pm 
Major General
Major General

Fair point but where is all blanc rumours gone ..surely he is doing a great job where as Guardiola has xtremely well but so would have lot of managers ..There outh system unbelievable ..that surely does help

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:16 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
My problem with Gaurdiola would be that he'd be walking out on his the club after 3 yrs in his first job and the club he loves.

Do we really want someone whose gonna be around 3 yrs and eff off and we continue the search again? I know we aren't gonna get another Fergie in but surely the plan should be long term.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:51 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

pakrooney wrote:
Fair point but where is all blanc rumours gone ..surely he is doing a great job where as Guardiola has xtremely well but so would have lot of managers ..There outh system unbelievable ..that surely does help

Blanc imo is an excellent candidate.... but all i am saying is.... SAF knows who he would like/recommend to the Glazers.

....add to that, Barca state they want Guardiola to stay...... yet he's only willing to sign a one year deal.... that says to me, he has an alternative

obviously just a hunch/speculation.... but if BOTH parties were happy, why not tie down a local, young manager, who's had unprecedented success, to a longer deal.....maybe they've set their sights on Owen Coyle :shrug:

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:02 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Resurrection Joe wrote:
obviously just a hunch/speculation.... but if BOTH parties were happy, why not tie down a local, young manager, who's had unprecedented success, to a longer deal.....maybe they've set their sights on Owen Coyle :shrug:

Agreed tbh. They'd surely wanna nail him down on a longer contract unless he said no.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:01 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I like Pep but i'd rather have him stay at barca a bit longer - think maybe laurent would be better suited to us. Just my gut instincts...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:19 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Resurrection Joe wrote:
maybe they've set their sights on Owen Coyle :shrug:

Well he fits the good looks and style facets of the job.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:25 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
I'd be suprised if either of them came until the money situation at the club is sorted.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:34 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Quote:
Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has dropped a heavy hint that he will leave the club when his contract expires in summer 2012.

Guardiola, who took over the reins of his boyhood club in summer 2008, prefers short-term deals and signed a one-year contract extension in February to keep him at the Nou Camp until the end of next season.

The 40-year-old told Italian television channel Rai Sport: "I think my time is ending here in Barcelona. I'm fine here, but when you're at a club like this you cannot stay for too long.

"Next year will be the fourth consecutive season as coach of Barcelona.

"Such a club must have a lot of courage to take a coach for so long, because the players get tired of coaches and vice-versa."

Asked if he might one day coach in Italy, the former Brescia and Roma midfielder added:

"I'll come if I still want to coach. It takes enthusiasm and more to make such a decision."

Since taking over at Barca, Guardiola has already won eight titles including an unprecedented treble of Primera Division, Champions League and Copa del Rey in his first campaign.

The Catalan club are currently five points clear at the top of La Liga, through to the final of the Copa del Rey and in the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:46 pm 
Major General
Major General

must be wage issue ..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:48 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
I'd be VERY surprised if it was to do with money.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta has played down the significance of Pep Guardiola’s revelation that his coaching tenure at Camp Nou is coming to an end.

In an interview with Italian television station Raion Friday, Guardiola indicated that he will leave the defending Spanish champions at the end of the 2011-12 season.

The 40-year-old signed a one-year contract extension with the Blaugrana in February this year.Zubizarreta, though, has move to defuse talk over the importance of Guardiola’s remarks and says that he is not yet concerned with what will happen after 2012.

“He has a contract and he wants to be with us, and that’s it,” said Zubizarreta, according to Catalan sports daily Sport. “Is he on the bench? Yes. Does he have a contract for next year? Yes. What more do we want?”

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

ImageImage
Quote: