AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: Joey Barton Finks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Rangers have suspended Joey Barton for three weeks, six days after he was sent home from training following a heated argument with a team-mate.

The 34-year-old, who admitted he said some "inappropriate things" to fellow midfielder Andy Halliday, returned to Ibrox for a meeting on Monday.

A Rangers statement said the club and manager Mark Warburton felt all parties now needed "time and space".

It added neither the club nor Barton would make "any further statement".

Warburton was asked about the player at his media conference to preview Tuesday's meeting with Queen of the South in the League Cup but refused to disclose whether or not Barton will continue to be paid during his suspension.

"It's not for me to make any further comment other than what has been released by the club this morning," he said.

"I'm sure you can understand that from my position and the position of the club.

"The environment we create for the players and the staff is about giving respectful opinion. I'll never have a problem with a player knocking on my door to talk about a session.

"Do it in the right manner or else they'll get a flea in their ear.

"It's about being respectful with the way we deal with each other. I have no problem with players expressing opinions at all. It's how you deliver the message which will always be key to myself and my staff."

The verbal altercation between Barton and Halliday came as Rangers players reviewed their 5-1 loss to Scottish Premiership rivals Celtic.

Initially told to stay away from the club until Monday, Barton released a statement on Thursday in which he acknowledged he "did overstep the mark".

"Some of the things I said were inappropriate and for that I apologise unreservedly," he wrote.

He added he did not feel staying away from training was necessary.

Moments after posting the statement, he published a tweet he later deleted reading: "Apologising doesn't always mean that you're wrong and the other person is right. It means you value your relationship more than your ego."

The following day he gave a radio interview - not authorised by the club - in which he said he was sent home and Halliday was not because he also had a frank exchange of views with Warburton afterwards.

He described his suspension as "strange" and "wrong" and added he did not believe he had done anything to apologise for.

Barton joined Rangers in the summer on a two-year contract as a free agent, after turning down the offer of a contract extension at Burnley.

Analysis

BBC Scotland's Richard Wilson:

"Barton's Rangers career would appear now to be effectively over. If the manager Mark Warburton felt reassured that the player could return to the squad without his authority seeming undermined, then Barton would still be available for selection.

"The player is due to begin a series of public engagements for the launch of his autobiography this week, at which he will inevitably be asked about his future at Ibrox.

"He is, by his own admission, a blunt and assertive figure in the dressing room and his short spell at Rangers has delivered little worth on the field. The team has already looked more convincing in his absence."

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Allegations Rangers midfielder Joey Barton gambled on matches are being investigated, BBC Scotland has learned.

It follows media reports suggesting the former England international placed money on the outcome of a Celtic match.

Scottish Football Association rules prohibit players, coaches, referees and club officials in Scotland from betting on football anywhere in the world.

The SFA says it cannot comment on the matter, which threatens the Ibrox future of the 34-year-old Barton.

Section 31 of the SFA's judicial panel protocol's general disciplinary rules states that: "No club, official, Team Official or other member of Team Staff, player, match official or other person under the jurisdiction of the Scottish FA shall gamble in any way on a football match."

On Monday, Barton, who has also played for Newcastle United, Burnley, QPR, Manchester City and Marseille, was suspended by Rangers for three weeks in the wake of a training-ground disagreement last week.

Analysis

BBC Scotland senior football reporter Chris McLaughlin:

"Few would now argue against the feeling that Joey Barton's career at Rangers is over, but it appears to be ending in quite spectacular fashion.

"Less than 24 hours after he was suspended by the club after a training-ground bust-up, a front-page story suggests he broke football gambling rules by betting on a match. If the club is gathering evidence to prove the 34-year-old is in breach of contract, it certainly goes some way to helping their cause, if true.

"Just a day before the launch of his book, for the publishers, it's the perfect storm. Add into the mix a few lines from the man himself about his regrets at signing for Rangers and claims that Celtic tried to sign him first, and you have the Joey Barton circus in full swing."

Surely Barton isn't this stupid to bet on a match knowing full well the rules they're the same in England as they are in Scotland.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:37 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Joey Barton remains suspended by Rangers following a meeting with Ibrox officials on Thursday.

The 34-year-old midfielder has been absent from the club since a training-ground row in the wake of September's 5-1 loss at Celtic Park.

He arrived at Ibrox at 15:00 BST on Thursday with agent Eddy Jennings, before leaving by a side exit some two hours later and offering no comment.

Barton is also facing Scottish FA charges for breaching betting rules.

He was charged with placing 44 bets on games between 1 July and 15 September.

Barton, who has stated repeatedly that he wants to return and fight for his place, has played only eight games for Rangers since his summer switch from Burnley.

The former Manchester City, Newcastle United and QPR player left Turf Moor under freedom of contract at the end of last season, signing a two-year deal at Ibrox.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Joey Barton has been signed off from Rangers’ training ground with stress since Friday, with the midfielder’s permanent exit from Ibrox moving ever closer. Barton may become a free agent before the end of this week, with talks at an advanced stage to terminate his contract.

Barton resumed training, alongside Rangers’ under-20 players, last midweek after a club-imposed suspension in mid-September but was last seen at the complex on Thursday.

Talks are understood to be nearly concluded regarding a settlement for the remainder of Barton’s deal, which is worth £20,000 per week and is due to run until the end of the 2017-18 season.

Barton was banished from Rangers after a training-ground row with the manager, Mark Warburton, and his team-mate Andy Halliday in the wake of the club’s 5-1 defeat by Celtic on 10 September.

The impasse ended last week and the club issued a statement citing “the conclusion of a disciplinary procedure”. However, it swiftly emerged Barton would remain apart from the Rangers first team. There has never been any expectation that the player who left Burnley last summer would turn out for Rangers again.

Fifa regulations assert that training facilities have to be made available by clubs to contracted players. Last month the Burnley manger, Sean Dyche, suggested there may be a route back to the club for Barton.

Barton is due to appear before the Scottish Football Association on 17 November to answer charges relating to alleged betting on matches. This emerged after the imposition of the 34-year-old’s club suspension.

Rangers refused to comment on the Barton situation. The player’s representative did not immediately respond to the Guardian’s request for comment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Joey Barton says he has no regrets about signing for Rangers despite an unsuccessful spell at Ibrox.

The midfielder, 34, was banned for six weeks by Rangers following a training ground altercation in September, and was later signed off with stress.

Barton's contract was then terminated by mutual consent in November having played just eight matches for the club.

"I'd still have signed for Rangers - it was an opportunity that I couldn't pass," Barton said.

"It's a great football club, it's somewhere if they get it right it is a phenomenal place - it's completely unique.

Barton, who signed for the Scottish club from Burnley in May, added: "I haven't played for a super club in England, I wanted to experience a club of that size, with no disrespect to Burnley.

"Nobody wants to play only eight games for a club, you want to have more of an impact than that.

"I'm incredibly disappointed. Who knows what happens in the future, I don't know where I'm going to be.

"I've got no issue with Rangers, [manager] Mark Warburton or anybody on the board. Life's too short to look back at things."

'I knew what I was getting into at Rangers'

Barton was suspended by the club for a training ground altercation with Warburton and team-mate Andy Halliday in the wake of Rangers' 5-1 thrashing at the hands of rivals Celtic.

The former Manchester City and Newcastle midfielder's performances before the Old Firm encounter - which was to be his final Rangers appearance - had drawn criticism as Warburton's side adjusted to life in the top flight following promotion last season.

"The media were quite critical of me when I was up there," Barton told BBC Radio 5 live.

"That's the nature of the industry when you're Joey Barton and you go and play for Rangers who are a massive club in Scotland.

"You're going to get criticism if you don't play fantastically well and I didn't play fantastically well there, albeit I only lasted eight games.

"The difficulty for me lay in the fact that before I went up there they kind of built me into this Neymar, Messi kind of player, which I wasn't.

"I'm a player that's never been blessed with an enormous amount of talent, speed, tricks. I'm somebody who has always served the higher purpose in terms of the team, always done well when that's been at the fore. I've never done particularly well when the onus has been on me to go on and create and do things.

"Everyone was saying 'you've been caught out by the standard of Scottish football, you've looked down your nose at Scottish football'. I didn't. I knew what I was getting into."

'It will be nice to shut a few people up'

Following his departure from Ibrox, Barton has been training with Burnley, whom he left to join Rangers in the summer, and says he will have no shortage of offers to make a playing return in the January transfer window.

"I'm focussing on the future. I've still got that bit about me where I've got an enormous amount of credibility and clubs want me to come in.

"I've had big clubs picking up the phone and asking what I'm doing in January.

"It's a great time for me. It'll be nice to get a pair of football boots on in January and shut a few people up."

He didn't help himself with the build up as he built himself up calling out players and making comments about Celtic on social media he was coming up on big money and big money means big expectations which he would never have been able to live up to as he admits himself he's a limited player.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16