AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: UEFA Champions League 2014/15
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Uefa has changed the rules on yellow cards to make it harder for players to be suspended for the Champions League and Europa League finals.

The European governing body has decided that yellow cards accrued will be wiped out after the quarter-final stage.

Real Madrid's Xabi Alonso missed last season's Champions League final after picking up a third caution in the semi-final against Bayern Munich.

The rule was first implemented at Euro 2012 in Ukraine and Poland.

But this is the first time it has been implemented in major European club contests.

Spanish midfielder Alonso is among other players who have missed the final after picking up a booking in the last-four - Roy Keane and Paul Scholes suffered a similar fate in 1999.

The situation came to a head when Branislav Ivanovic, Ramires and Raul Meireles of Chelsea and David Alaba, Holger Badstuber and Luis Gustavo of Bayern all missed the 2012 Champions League final.

Uefa acted on the recommendation of a panel set up by its Competitions Committee.

A statement read: "The Emergency Panel decided that, as of this season, all yellow cards from the beginning of the group stage will expire on completion of the quarter-finals. Bookings will therefore not be carried forward to the semi-finals."

Makes sense to me players shouldn't be missing finals because of a yellow card especially when you consider how easy it is to pick up a booking in the modern game.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: UEFA Champions League 2014/15
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:36 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
meaningless competition for mickey mouse clubs anyway, well at least for one season

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I have this argument with Arsenal fans a lot th CL is great if you have a chance of winning it but if like them you negotiate a straight forward group then get smashed by the first team you come up against is it really worth it?

For me there are a lot of clubs who just make up the numbers in it every season and I sort of equate it to being in a trendy club where all the celebs hang out because it makes you look cool but the reality is they're all roped off in the VIP at their own little party that you're still not invited to. You can buy all the £20 drinks you want but there's still a little part of the party that you're not really invited to.

The worst thing about the CL is how it's allowed to ruin the Europa League they need to stop the 3rd place clubs dropping in to that competition.

That said I will miss it as the absolute pinnacle of last season was that 10 seconds after Evra's goal in Munich before we came crashing back to reality.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
It took Celtic 84 minutes to score their only goal in Reykjavik, but on Tuesday night in the unfamiliar environs of Murrayfield they wasted no time in finishing off the job. Wednesday night’s Commonwealth Games opening ceremony at Celtic Park will last for more than two hours; KR’s Champions League closing ceremony lasted only minutes.

Moving east along the M8 to the national rugby stadium inconvenienced Ronny Deila’s team not a jot. Aided by uncharacteristically poor goalkeeping from Stefan Magnusson, the central defender Virgil van Dijk scored two in the opening 20 minutes. The striker Teemu Pukki added a further brace as his side eased their way to a third qualifying round tie against either St Patrick’s Athletic or Legia Warsaw, who play on Wednesday night.

Kris Commons, especially, was unlucky not to make the night even more uncomfortable for the Icelandic team, but revelling in their night out in the capital, Celtic’s fans were more than happy with the evening’s work. A large contingent had made the journey to watch their side test out Murrayfield’s new hybrid surface.

Deila, who has now successfully navigated his own first test since replacing Neil Lennon as Celtic manager, did not pretend that there had been any huge struggle in dismantling KR. “The first half was good and we started the game well,” he said. “We kept them under pressure and won the ball back when we lost it. The second half was a bit sloppy I think. We should have been keeping up the tempo so we could win [by] more. But I have to be happy.

“The pitch was better than last week but we need to work in training to get the tempo even better. Today was a good start but this isn’t the best opponent we are going to get. But we have to start somewhere. We will have to take what is coming to us in the next round.”

Van Dijk’s opening two goals came from Commons’ corners, and if both could be attributed to the unfortunate Magnusson, whose shot-stopping in the two ties was far better than his ability to collect high balls, Deila was pleased that some early training ground work on set pieces had borne fruit.

Pukki scored the third seven minutes later, with KR again being damaged down the left. This time it was from a low cross invitingly placed in front of the Finnish striker by Callum McGregor, the scorer in Reykjavik.

Although Celtic scored just once more through Pukki 20 minutes from the end, humiliating the Icelanders wasn’t a prerequisite for the night. The Scottish champions went about their business efficiently and with flashes of flourish against a limited side.

The only downside for Deila is that he may not have Fraser Forster to call on for much longer. Celtic are reported to have turned down a “derisory” bid from Southampton for the England goalkeeper, but that is unlikely to be the end of the matter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:59 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Celtic could be handed a Champions League reprieve after UEFA announced they are to hold an investigation into the eligibility of Legia Warsaw's Bartosz Bereszynski.

The Polish side wrapped up a one-sided Champions League qualifying round victory over Celtic on Wednesday, a 2-0 win at Murrayfield in Edinburgh earning them a 6-1 triumph on aggregate.

But Warsaw have confirmed that they have now been asked to supply information to European football’s governing body regarding defender Bereszynski, who came on as a sub with three minutes left.

A statement on Legia's official website read on Thursday: "The club announces that, in connection with the Celtic FC-Legia Warsaw match in the second leg of the third qualifying round of the Champions League, UEFA opened an investigation into the participation of Bartosz Bereszynski.

"The club is preparing the relevant information and explanations, which will be sent to UEFA today.

"The result of the investigation will be announced immediately after its completion."

Legia are through to the Champions League play-offs but could be thrown out of the competition if they are found guilty, with Celtic taking their place.

The investigation concerns Bereszynski’s sending-off for violent conduct against Apollon in the final match of Legia's Europa League campaign last season.

He missed both ties against St Patrick's in the second qualifying round and then sat out the first-leg against Celtic.

However, the investigation is apparently focussing on whether the player was registered in Legia's squad for the games against the Irish side in order to allow a three-match suspension to take effect.

Bereszynski only came on in the 86th minute of Legia's 2-0 win at Murrayfield when the game was well and truly over but the context and impact of his appearance might not have any influence on the outcome if rules were breached.

UEFA's disciplinary regulations decree that a match may be declared a forfeit if an ineligible player participates, "as long as the opposing team files a protest."

The team forfeiting the match is deemed to have lost 3-0 which would put Celtic through on the away goals rule.

Chucking Warsaw out because of an admin error seems harsh but this is UEFA the guy played 5 minutes when the agg score was 6-1 he had no effect on the game but UEFA will say rules is rules.

You'd think the UEFA representative at these games would be responsible for checking before the game to make sure that no players were on the current "suspended players" lists once the team sheets come through how hard can that be to track?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:33 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Celtic have been reinstated to the Champions League after Legia Warsaw were kicked out of the competition for fielding an ineligible player.

Legia won the third qualifying round tie 6-1 on aggregate but brought on Bartosz Bereszynski in the second leg, while he was supposed to be suspended.

As a result Celtic were handed a 3-0 'walkover' win for the second leg, taking them through on away goals.

Legia won the first leg 4-1 and the second 2-0.

What did I say?

Rules is rules unless it's FFP :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:15 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
To be fair what would you gave said if it was 2-1 and he came on and got the winning goal? The effect he had shouldn't matter. They broke the rules.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:45 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

My point is it's an admin error that in the scheme of things didn't effect the result. If the guy had played 90 minutes then I don't think you could argue what has happened but he came on for 5 minutes when the game was finished as a contest. It's like banning someone from driving for a year because they once did 35 in a 30 then only banning a guy for a year who did 100 in a 30 (if that makes sense).

I can't argue with the fact they're guilty but for me the punishment doesn't fit the crime they haven't tried to decieve anyone they've made an honest mistake if they were trying to break the rules why only play him for the last few minutes?

I'd rather see UEFA put systems in place to stop this happening before the event so the team sheet is handed to the UEFA official he then checks to make sure all the players are able to play ie they're registered in UEFA squad lists and free from suspsension and the game goes ahead. This way if a team has made a mistake it can be flagged up before the game and the ineligable player is taken out of the team to avoid all this nonsense.

The CL is meant to be the best teams in Europe and the scoreline over that game proves that Legia Warsaw are a far superior team to Celtic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:12 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Celtic have said they are “disappointed” by Legia Warsaw’s attempts to be re-instated in the Champions League.

The Polish club beat Celtic 6-1 on aggregate in their second round qualifier but were then thrown out of the competition by UEFA for fielding an ineligible player - Bartosz Bereszynski - who came on as a substitute for the final three minutes.

UEFA declared the match as "forfeit" and ruled Legia would be demoted to the Europa League play-offs.

Legia said they felt the ruling was "unjust and completely disproportionate" and Dariusz Mioduski, majority owner and chairman of Legia Warsaw, released an open letter to Celtic on Sunday afternoon demanding a rethink.

However, Celtic have responded by issuing a brief statement on their website.

“We are disappointed by Legia Warsaw's comments,” it read. “This is entirely a matter for UEFA and its processes. Accordingly, we will reserve further comment for the appropriate time.”

It was reported by some organisations that Legia were seeking a one-off match to decide who would progress to the Champions League but Mioduski confirmed to Sky Sports News the club want to resolve their differences through face-to-face discussions with Celtic.

Mioduski said: "The word disappointment doesn’t portray our emotions. It is more complete frustration and anger.

"We showed we were the better team over two matches and we find it completely unbelievable that the result of a clerical error – because that's what it was - we were found ineligible and lost the game, and consequently elimination.

“We admit our mistake and we should know better and this is something we need to deal with but at the same time when we look at what was done; the penalty that was received is completely disproportionate and it goes against everything that sport is supposed to be about."

Mioduski revealed the club were still awaiting justification of the decision from the UEFA commission, insisting they would appeal and "exhaust the appeal process".

He added: "We still hold hope we will be reinstated because clearly the rules do not work the way they are supposed to. I don’t believe that UEFA, with all that it stands for, would allow such an injustice like this to take place.

"We try to get in touch with our friends at Celtic, but I don't know whether I can call them that anymore. The management of that club is going against the values that I believe they had at that club. Why have we? Because there is a clear regulation that if the two clubs come to the conclusion between them then UEFA will accept that and it is likely we will continue playing, but Celtic has to effectively stand by their ethics and do what is right.

"I am a little bit surprised that the management representing European clubs in UEFA are not really dealing with this issue. At this point it is not just about the money. This is about what football stands for – the dreams of normal people and what they believe sport is about.

"We will go through the arbitration tribunal to get a just verdict, but if we don't we lose then we will accept we will play in a Europa League qualification match and do our best on the pitch. We will pay a heavy price for the smallest mistake and we are ready for that. But it's not just about us, it's about the values in sport.

"Our message to Celtic? Be a man and get in touch so we can come to some sort of conclusion like men should."

This is starting to get a bit WWE.

Building up to a big PPV event at the end of the month.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Celtic’s failure to take a second chance at Champions League group stage qualification earned a satisfied response from Legia Warsaw, who tweeted to celebrate Maribor’s 1-0 win at Celtic Park.

Celtic lost to Legia 6-1 on aggregate in the third qualifier, but were controversially reinstated after the Polish club were effectively thrown out by Uefa for fielding a player who should have been suspended.

Legia’s attempt to have the decision overturned was rejected, giving Celtic their reprieve, and prompting Legia’s owner Dariusz Mioduski to write on Twitter: “Unfortunately for now football is not winning … We are going to CAS.” The Court of Arbitration in Sport also rejected their appeal.

That decision gave Celtic their chance, and manager Ronny Deila was feeling confident after a 1-1 first-leg draw in Slovenia last week, saying: “It’s going to be a huge game. I feel ready and the team is ready as well.”

However, after the Maribor captain Marcos Tavares’s goal in the 75th minute took the visitors through 2-1 on aggregate, Legia tweeted: “#footballwon” – a message retweeted over 9,000 times.

Celtic’s player were booed off at the end, with some supporters gathering outside the main door to protest. Deila later admitted that the Europa League was his side’s level at the moment.

“At the end, there is only one thing to say, we haven’t been good enough and we haven’t deserved to go to the Champions League,” he said. “There is no excuse. We are not good enough. Now it is the Europa League and we will do everything we can to achieve things in that competition. That is our level now.”

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Malmo taken the lead

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... =2&theater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Atletic Bilbao 2-1 Napoli
Arsenal 1-0 Besiktas

About 20 minutes left in both games

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:51 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Atlético Madrid, Juventus, Olympiakos, Malmo

Group B

Real Madrid, Basel, Liverpool, Ludogorets

Group C

Benfica, Zenit St. Petersburg, Bayer Leverkusen, Monaco

Group D

Arsenal, Borussia Dortmund, Galatasaray, Anderlecht

Group E

Bayern Munich, Man City, CSKA Moscow, Roma

Group F

Barcelona, PSG, Ajax, Apoel Nicosia

Group G

Chelsea, Schalke 04, Sporting, Maribor

Group H

FC Porto, Shakhtar Donetsk, Athletic Bilbao, BATE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Uefa is contemplating whether the away-goals rule should remain in force in European competition and is looking to change how Champions League clubs are seeded.

The issues were discussed as part of Uefa’s two-day meeting of leading coaches in Nyon. The away-goals rule was introduced nearly 50 years ago when playing away in Europe was a novelty, but critics say it has now become counter-productive, unnecessary and unfair.

“There was a bit of a debate about whether it has any significance today,” said Sir Alex Ferguson, who was chairing the meeting. “Some think it is not as important as it used to be ... and the attacking emphasis on the game today means more teams go away from home and win.

“If we go back, say, 30 years, counter-attacking consisted of one or maybe two, players. Today, counter-attacks have players flooding forward in fives or sixes and really positive, quick passing.“

The rule, under which away goals count double if a two-legged tie ends with the aggregate scores level, was introduced into European competition in the Cup Winners’ Cup in 1965-66.

It was first used in a second-round tie when Honved progressed at the expense of Dukla Prague following a 4-4 aggregate draw.

At the time it was seen as preferable to having a time-consuming playoff or the arbitrary toss of the coin which was sometimes employed and which sent Liverpool to the European Cup semi-final in 1965 after two goalless draws against FC Cologne.

“What is helping is that the state of the pitches, pitches are fantastic nowadays, so coming out of defence with passes is much easier than it was 30 years ago, and you get a better attitude to counter-attack today than you did 30 years ago,” Ferguson said.

“From a personal point of view, when I was playing at home, I used to say to myself, don’t lose a goal,” he added.

With regards to seeding, currently the European governing body ranks clubs over five years of competition results, leaving champions such as Manchester City, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain among the No2 seeded teams and leading to criticism that the draws are repeating themselves.

One option for Uefa would be to guarantee a top seeding to winners of the highest-profile leagues. though Ferguson reacted coolly to the idea.

The Scot, a two-times Champions League winner with Manchester United, said of the group draws: “I don’t necessarily think the seeding plays a great part.” He added: “You take what you get and your performance is the most important thing.”

“From a personal point of view, when I was playing at home, I used to say to myself, don’t lose a goal,” he added.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

That was one of the worst Arsenal performances i've seen.

So many misplaced passes and a lack of effort. Often letting the ball roll pass them to a Dortmund player.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Outclassed by a team who knew exactly what they were doing in a system they know inside out. Arsenal playing that 4-1-4-1 thing don't work. I think it weakens Ramsey & Ozil and is just being used to try and get Wilshere in the team.

Liverpool used up a get out of jail free card tonight as well

Just seen Evra celebrating a goal with Tevez for Juve made me feel a little bit sad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

If I was Wenger I also would have moved Welbeck out to the right to offer their right back some help and Sanchez through the middle.

Welbeck was offering nothing upfront and I see nothing that suggest he's an out and out striker.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
If I was Wenger I also would have moved Welbeck out to the right to offer their right back some help and Sanchez through the middle.

Welbeck was offering nothing upfront and I see nothing that suggest he's an out and out striker.

The whole system just didn't work it seemed to offer no support to the defence or the attack Welbeck never had anyone go beyond him and at best he had 1 person within 10 yards of him at any one time.

I don't really know what was wrong with the 4-2-3-1 system they had last season they just seem to want to try and cram Ozil, Ramsey & Wilshere in to the team and all want to play in the centre and it just doesn't work one of them has to sit out.

Dortmund were on it tonight though they were everywhere at a millions miles an hour which is their style and when they're playing like that any side will struggle to live with them but when you get your chances you have to take them. Welbeck had a couple of good chances tonight but he didn't take them which is sadly what you get with him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:38 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
I watched a bit of the Liverpool game, were they playing 3 a at the back with Gerrard just in front?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:51 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Ronaldo and Messi are 3 and 4 goals away from becoming the record top goalscorers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next