AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: La Liga Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:51 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think that's just people reading between the lines to keep the story going Ronaldo didn't say anything but that's how the press report it and I wonder if he says this stuff tongue in cheek knowing it distracts the idiots.

Neymar has come out and said the penalty was meant for him and they did it as a tribute to Cruyff who's currently struggling with illness I think this just sums up Spanish papers.

It all started because papers were saying why aren't Bale/Ronaldo/Benzema best mates and high fiving like Neymar/Suarez/Messi and Ronaldo basically said you don't need to be best mates off the field to play well on it which is a perfectly reasonable response it's obviously a bonus that MSN get on so well but it doen't really matter.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:15 am 
Major General
Major General

Spanish press is worst than English .. They make out story from nothing .. Ronaldo stares someone in training they will show video through out the day until someone from club has to deny or address the allegation ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:57 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Valencia owner Peter Lim has denied appointing Gary Neville as boss because he was a friend amid talk the England coach is set to be offered a two-year deal.

Neville, 41, was appointed Los Che boss in December on a deal until the end of the season, but after a run of nine La Liga games without a win the heat was starting to rise on the former Manchester United man.

However, the recent 2-1 success over Espanyol bucked that trend and Valencia have since beaten Granada in La Liga which was sandwiched in between a 6-0 hammering of Rapid Vienna in the Europa League and businessman Lim has claimed his faith never wavered in Neville.

Lim told Valencia’s official website: “I picked Gary not because he is a good friend; Gary is a good coach, who happened to be a friend. I think that has to be very clear to everyone.

“I look at him, he has got the potential in him, I knew him for a while and his football knowledge is tremendous. He is a top pundit in the UK. I chose him because of his knowledge of football and everything that is around football.”

The upturn in Valencia’s form could lead to Neville being offered a two-year deal, according to the Daily Mail.

Singaporean moneyman Lim, with whom Neville has several business interests, including part-ownership in Salford City, is believed to be happy with Neville’s progress at the Mestalla.

“I am very confident about him, it’s just the only shortfall is maybe the language. But I believe he can overcome it, because he is a very determined person.

“More important is his experience, not only as a manager but his playing days, I think he can hold this team together,” added Lim.

Hope the recent upturn in results continues I hear he's even started giving interviews in Spanish which can only help him plus the new assistant they got in should help as he's very experienced in the Spanish league and having someone like that has to help as he'll know all the little pitfalls of certain teams.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:39 am 
Major General
Major General

Bit of spanish but im sure he wouldnt want to resume continue beyond summer ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
I think if given the chance he'd carry on with Valencia. It's a massive job and a big chance to prove himself.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think he took it on a 6 month deal to see how he liked management and i think he's caught the bug I think he'd love to spend 2-3 years out there if he can he's moved the family out there so that doesn't suggest he sees it as a short term plan.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out for him I think people mistook his short term comments to mean a few months whereas Neville sees short term as a few years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:42 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Gary Neville has described Valencia’s 3-1 defeat at home to Atletico Madrid as “the most disappointing” of his reign.

Neville has now won 14 points from 14 games as a manager in Spain, with his Valencia side battling valiantly against La Liga title contenders Atletico on Sunday.

Denis Cheryshev cancelled out Antoine Griezmann’s opener for the hosts, before Fernando Torres and Yannick Ferreira-Carrasco helped Diego Simeone’s side to a crucial victory.

Speaking after the game, Neville described it as the “most disappointed” he’d been after a game. The 7-0 defeat to Barcelona must have been erased from his memory.

“I think the second half we played well, until the [Torres] goal going in changed the course of the game,” Neville said. “The moment went against us tonight and from there the game became difficult. For 25 minutes we played well and it was an even game. We’re playing against one of the best teams in Europe tonight by the way.

“For 70 minutes we gave them one of the hardest games they’ve had. The second goal and the sending off changed the game, that was my assessment of it. I’m disappointed, probably the most disappointed I’ve been after a game. I don’t like to repeat mistakes – like last week – and it feels the same. I felt we could have got something out of the game.”

Valencia were still in the game with ten minutes remaining, before defender Anderlan Santos was sent off with the score at 2-1. Neville subsequently brought on striker Alvaro Negredo as opposed to a replacement defender, and Neville switched formation to three at the back. Atletico scored a third less than a minute later.

Explaining the substitution, Neville said: “Alvaro was coming on, then Santos was sent off so I said to [Aymen, central defender] Abdennour, get changed you’re coming on,” Neville said. “My staff called me back, they said let’s gamble, go with three at the back. We decided to gamble and we changed our mind again.

“We decided with the coaching staff, it definitely wasn’t the fans. From my point of view, maybe sticking with the original decision might have been right.”

19 points off Champions League
8 points off Europa
8 points off relegation

Will be interesting to see if they carry on with Neville in the summer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:31 pm 
Major General
Major General

Barca lost at home to Valencia...2nd straight home defeat and 3rd successive in league.. Could be anyone's title ..

1 BARCELONA------------33 +59 76
2 ATLÉTICO MADRID-----33 +41 76
3 REAL MADRID----------33 +68 75

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Barca look like they've totally run out of steam

Going to be a hell of a run in

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:48 am 
Major General
Major General

Well among them Real Madrid looks more fresher .. energetic ... Bale James coming back from injury and now playing well .. Benzema also .. Ronaldo had minor injuries issues as well .. Exciting times in Spain ..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:20 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Will be interesting to see if Atletico can last the pace the thing that might save Barca is being out of Europe those 2 extra midweek breaks might just save them as I think both the Madrid teams will prioritise the CL over La Liga.

Think I saw a stat that before the weekend in terms of league goals both the BBC & MSN (I'm using that because I can't be ars*d to write the full names out) had 69 league goals each between them. If you believed the story of this season you'd think the MSN would be well clear of the BBC.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:49 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
JSP wrote:
Think I saw a stat that before the weekend in terms of league goals both the BBC & MSN (I'm using that because I can't be ars*d to write the full names out) had 69 league goals each between them. If you believed the story of this season you'd think the MSN would be well clear of the BBC.

I was surprised when I read that too. Messi was out for a while, but so was Bale. I wouldn't imagine the total games played by each was too dissimilar either.

Bale is on a real hot streak at the moment, I think he's got something like 19 in his past 22 games.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Saw another one going around the Barca front 3 over the last 12 months have played a combined 16,000 minutes of football when compared to the other top clubs the next highest was Bayern on around 13,500 minutes, Atletico & Real Madrid were 10,000 minutes.

Considering they also don't really rotate in midfield or defence either it's no real surprise that they're running out of steam.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:36 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Deportivo 0-7 Barca

Latest score looks like the slump is over

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:28 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Granada 0-1 Barca
Deportivo 0-2 Madrid

30 mins gone but as it stands Barca retain their title by 1 point

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The European commission is expected to deliver its verdict on Monday on whether Spain wrongfully handed out tens of millions of euros in state aid to some of the country’s top football clubs.

The investigation centres on aid received by seven clubs, including Barcelona and Real Madrid, whose £86m player Gareth Bale is part of the first ever Welsh team to reach a semi-final in a major tournament at Euro 2016.

The Brussels inquiry was launched two-and-a-half years ago by the then competition commissioner, Joaquin Almunia. He said it would consider whether Spain had broken EU rules on public funding through tax breaks, property deals and loans.

The commission is expected to find against the Spanish state according to some reports. Its investigation will be seen as a clampdown on some of the excesses of the game in Spain, with regulators seeking to end the unlawful use of public money to fund some of the world’s richest clubs.

Real Madrid and Barcelona are the world’s two richest clubs by revenue according to the Deloitte Football Money League 2016.

It declined to comment before the decision was announced on Monday, but at the time the inquiry opened in December 2013, it said: “Professional football clubs should finance their running costs and investments with sound financial management rather than at the expense of the taxpayer.

“Member states and public authorities must comply with EU rules on state aid in this sector as in all economic sectors.”

The investigation focused on three elements, including possible corporate tax privileges enjoyed since 1990 by Real Madrid, Barcelona, Osasuna and Athletic Bilbao – a team that counts Almunia among its supporters.

Brussels also investigated a complex land deal struck between Real Madrid and the local authority in Madrid. It is thought the world’s richest football club might have to pay back more than €18m (£15m) if the commission does rule against the Spanish state.

The third element of the investigation focused on the legality of guarantees given by the publicly owned Valencia Institute of Finance for loans to Valencia, Hercules, and Elche football clubs while the clubs were “seemingly undergoing financial difficulties”.

“The commission has concerns that these measures provided significant advantages to the beneficiary clubs to the detriment of the clubs which have to operate without such support,” it said when opening the inquiry.

“In so far as the professional football clubs in question were facing financial difficulties at the time of the measures under scrutiny, they must be assessed on the basis of the EU guidelines that allow member states to grant aid for the rescue and restructuring of companies in difficulty if certain conditions are met.

“At this stage, the commission has doubts whether the measures comply with the guidelines, in particular because Spain has submitted no restructuring plan demonstrating how the clubs could become viable again while limiting the distortions of competition brought about by the state support.”

It is unclear how much the Spanish clubs involved in the inquiry would be expected to pay back should the commission rule that Spain broke EU rules.

Meanwhile, the Financial Times reported that Brussels is expected to close its investigation into the public finding of five Dutch football clubs after finding no evidence of illegal state aid. The inquiry opened in March 2013 and clubs involved included PSV Eindhoven and MVV Maastricht.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:24 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The European Commission has ruled that seven teams in Spain - including Real Madrid and Barcelona - must pay back millions of euros handed out in state aid and/or favourable tax rates by local governments .

The Commission claimed the cash received for a variety of reasons, ranging from re-valuation of land to privileges in corporate taxation, gave the clubs concerned an unfair advantage over other teams in breach of EU state aid rules.

As a result, Spain must now recover the illegal state aid amounts from Barcelona, Real Madrid, Valencia, Athletic Bilbao, Atletico Osasuna, Elche and Hercules.

Commissioner Margrethe Vestager, in charge of competition policy, said: "Using tax payers' money to finance professional football clubs can create unfair competition.

"Professional football is a commercial activity with significant money involved and public money must comply with fair competition rules. The subsidies we investigated in these cases did not."

EU state aid rules apply to public interventions in the market to ensure they do not distort competition by selectively favouring one market participant over another. Professional sport is an economic activity.

The first investigation concerned tax privileges in favour of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Athletic Bilbao and Atletico Osasuna.

In Spain, professional football clubs are considered as limited liability companies for tax purposes. However, these four clubs were treated as non-profit organisations, which pay a 5 per cent lower tax rate on profit than limited liability companies. The four clubs benefited from this lower tax rate during over 20 years, without an objective justification.

In a second investigation, the Commission examined a land transfer between Real Madrid and the City of Madrid. The inquiry determined, based on an independent study, that the land affected by the transaction was overvalued by 18.4m euros. This gave Real Madrid an unjustified advantage over other clubs, which it now needs to pay back.

Finally, the Commission investigated guarantees given by the state-owned Valencia Institute of Finance (IVF) for loans granted to three Valencia football clubs (Valencia, Hercules and Elche).

At the time, those clubs were in financial difficulties. The public guarantee allowed the clubs to obtain the loans on more favourable terms. As the clubs paid no adequate remuneration for the guarantees, this gave them an economic advantage over other clubs, who have to raise money without state backing.

The amounts to be paid back are: Real Madrid, 18.4m euros (£15.4m); Valencia, 20.4m (£17.1m) euros; Hercules, 6.1m (£5.1m) euros and Elche, 3.7m (£3.1m) euros. The fees to be paid by Barcelona, Athletic Bilbao and Osasuna will be determined by Spanish tax authorities.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:42 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sevilla have signed Wissam Ben Yedder from Toulouse on a five-year contract, the Europa League champions have confirmed.

The 25-year-old scored 17 goals in 35 Ligue 1 appearances last season, helping Toulouse avoid relegation by one point, but that did little to prevent him being linked with a move away from the club all summer.

Sevilla confirmed the deal on their official website, saying the attacker has signed a contract at the club until 2021 for an undisclosed fee after passing his medical on Monday.

The former France U21 international joined Toulouse from UJA Alfortville in 2010 and featured 156 times for the side in Ligue 1, scoring 63 goals.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid have lost their appeals against transfer bans which were imposed on them for breaching rules on signing non-Spanish under-18 players, Fifa announced on Thursday.

The decision by Fifa’s appeal committee means that neither club can register players during the next two transfer windows and will have to wait until January 2018 to make any new signings.

The bans were initially imposed by Fifa’s disciplinary committee in January, but were temporarily lifted pending appeals, allowing them to sign players in the transfer window that ended last month.

A statement said the appeal committee had decided to “confirm in their entirety the decisions rendered by the Fifa disciplinary committee in the respective cases relating to the protection of minors.” Fifa also maintained fines of 900,000 Swiss francs (£696,000) on Atlético and CHF 360,000 on Real Madrid.

Both clubs, who have denied wrongdoing, have also been issued with a reprimand and a warning and given 90 days in which to regularise the situation of all minor players concerned.

Real and Atlético met in the final of this year’s Champions League with Real winning on penalties after a 1-1 draw.

Fifa said that its rules, which ban international transfers of under-18 players except in certain circumstances, existed to “protect minors who move to other countries and prevent soccer clubs from exploiting them”. Fifa says that, in the past, trafficking of young players has led to some minors being virtually abandoned on the streets of foreign countries.

“Although Fifa’s approach may appear harsh in an individual case, it is only by enforcing the rules consistently and strictly that the abuses of the past can be avoided and a proper and safe development of minor players secured,” Fifa said.

Fifa received 2,716 applications for the transfer of minors in 2015, of which 393 were rejected, it said.

Atletico have already release a statement saying they're taking it to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

They did Barca so my guess is they're banged to rights

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The day before Pako Ayestarán flew to Singapore to meet the Valencia owner Peter Lim and discuss becoming the manager at Mestalla, he phoned Gary Neville to ask for his blessing. Neville was the one who had taken him there in the first place, after all, the man who had publicly insisted “when I go, Pako goes”, and now Ayesteran was about to take his job. It was an “awkward” phone call but, if the Englishman wasn’t entirely pleased, he told Ayestarán to go for it. He also told Lim that his former assistant was the best man for the job. At the time, the new manager was grateful. He might not be so sure now. They might not be, either.

Six months on, Valencia are bottom of the table, the only side without a single point. On the eve of their opening game of the new season Ayestarán promised “we’re going to enjoy it” – but no one is enjoying this. Four games later, they’re the worst team in Spain, and he’s the worst manager in their history. That’s what the statistics say, anyway. Mario Kempes, meanwhile, says this: “What’s happening to Valencia is very worrying; there’s no project, no ideas, just pure footballing impotence.” Which would be bad enough anyway but Kempes isn’t just arguably Valencia’s best player ever; he’s also their ambassador.

Kempes represents the club, or is supposed to. If what he said was telling, the fact that he said it was even more so: a portrait of the way things sometimes are at a club where Neville admits feeling people greeting him with looks that said “you won’t be here for long”; where, if they did, they were right. On Sunday night Kempes backed the coach … and then made a pitch for his job. It is one he thinks might become available again soon, and he is not alone.

Ayestarán is under pressure for sure. Over the last seven seasons, Valencia’s position after four games reads: sixth, third, third, first, sixth, second, second. This time, they’re 20th, bottom of the pile. Played four, lost four, conceded 10. It is the joint-worst start in their history. The last three teams to start like this – Osasuna, Sporting and Xérez – all went down. Away at Athletic Bilbao is never easy but this time it was set up as the game they had to win; a “final” already, with 34 games still to go. As one paper put it, they were obliged to wipe out that zero by their name. They didn’t: two goals from Aritz Aduriz saw them defeated 2-1 at San Mamés.

This is Valencia’s joint-worst start ever yet, oddly, despite the results it hasn’t all been bad. Not that bad, anyway.

“It’s hard to know what’s missing,” goalkeeper Diego Alves said on Sunday. “In every game we have shown that we have the qualities to win, but we have no points,” Mario Suárez noted. Luck always feels like a desperately weak explanation for anything but it plays its part. Las Palmas coach Quique Setién admitted that Valencia deserved more when his side beat them 4-2 on the opening night; the week after they should have been four or five up by half-time against Eibar, but lost 1-0 to a Pedro Len penalty; and the week after that they came from 2-0 down to equalise against Betis, and could have won it before conceding a late goal. On Sunday, they went a goal ahead inside three minutes.

Yet again, though, Valencia were fragile; defensively they have been appalling, mentally they appear weak, belief slipping away. Mistakes are damaging them; more of them individual than systemic. Opponents find space too easily. It doesn’t take much to create chances against them. They do not compete: “Even their milk teeth haven’t come through yet,” as Cayetano Ros put it. Centre-backs Ezequiel Garay and Eliaquim Mangala arrived on the final day of the transfer window but they have not yet remedied their ills – Garay was injured on Sunday, while Aduriz destroyed Mangala. There is little real control in the middle, and up front they miss chances. Against Athletic it was just the one, but it was a clear one.

And so here they are; here the manager is, under pressure. It is not just this season, either. Valencia lost the last three games of last season too. Seven consecutive defeats is their worst ever run. Over the last eight games, Valencia’s record reads: lost seven, drawn one – their last win was back in April. It is not just the results that matter but the reaction they provoke; the instability is inescapable. That filters into the dressing room; Mestalla is treated as transient by many of them. There is something about the culture, the structure, that Neville believed was not conducive to sustainable success. Not yet, at least. The manager, certainly, is at risk of becoming a passing presence – and accepted as such, a short-term solution that is increasingly not a solution at all.

Kempes said that the manager should be supported, but then he tweeted: “To all those asking: I’d do it with all my desire if they asked me to.” Soon, Ossie Ardiles was offering himself as assistant: “I’ll go with you,” he wrote. The former striker Fernando Morientes called Kempes’s words “unethical”. Meanwhile, over at Super Deporte, they were running a poll. Was it necessary to sack Ayestarán? Not desirable, necessary; 90% said yes. “PaKO,” they called him. Valencia are looking at alternatives, reports say. Whether it’s actually an alternative is another matter. “It’s not about the manager,” the former goalkeeper Santiago Cañizares insists. “The situation disgusts me,” says the former captain David Albelda.

Valencia have had eight managers since Unai Emery departed in the summer of 2012 season. Since Lim took over in October 2014, they have had Pizzi, Nuno and Voro (as caretaker), then Neville – whose arrival was presented, damagingly, more as a favour to a friend than the arrival of the ideal coach – and then Ayestarán. Under him, Valencia have picked up 10 points from a possible 36; under Neville, the man he replaced, and the man who replaced Nuno, they picked up 14 from 48. That’s 0.29 points a game under Neville, 0.27 under Ayestarán. So much for his sacking solving things; so much for any sacking doing so. With each of the last three managers things have got worse, Valencia are becoming the old lady who swallowed a fly.

Like his predecessors, Ayestarán works with what he has been given and within an environment not entirely of his own making. “I didn’t say I was happy with the squad,” he pointed out last week. This summer Valencia’s best player departed early. Their captain and top-scorer left a few days after the president said he wouldn’t. The centre-back who was not for sale got sold. The centre-backs who were for sale didn’t. They tried to get rid of their goalkeeper but couldn’t – now he’s first choice again. Their former captain said he wanted to go too, but they wouldn’t let him. He was isolated until he apologised. Garay and Mangala arrived – two more Mendes men to replace the last two, who failed. And the starting centre-backs in the B team couldn’t be temporarily called up to the first team because they are over 23.

And yet, take a step back and the summer business actually does not look bad. Financial regulations forced them to sell and they sold pretty well; over €100m was raised and they managed to get rid of some players they saw as problematic. On the face of it, the squad is reasonably strong; there are good players there. The football has not always been bad, even if the defending has. It doesn’t look good, no – this is a team that should aspire to a Champions League place and it’s bottom of La Liga instead, one whose results have been poor going back five months now, and where the explanations don’t always convince – but then the last time they began with four defeats they finished third and reached the Champions League final.

After Sunday’s defeat the first question was direct: “Are you capable of turning this around?” Ayestarán’s lips moved but no words came out until the man sitting next to him flicked the switch. The microphone was on now, so Ayestarán repeated himself. “Totally,” he said. “Both me and the players.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next